The latest!

The latest!

Thu, 03/11/2010 - 15:29 by Ananth in response to as foretold

AHHHH okay so the comic is up! And if you click here or go back a page in the archive, we put up a little something Yuko drew at the airport in lieu of Tuesday's strip. Sorry about that!

Portland was great! We got to hang out with a lot of great folks and spent a lot of time working ("working") at the studio that Meredith Gran and Aaron Diaz share - thanks for letting us use your space guys! Meredith's new puppy Heidi is the freaking cutest! The Oni guys were good to us, Samantha over at Dark Horse showed us around town with her rad sister Sarah, and we happily got to catch Erika Moen over at Periscope, which is a really impressive for-real studio full of some incredibly talented people. Oh, and we of course saw George and Louie, and two of Yuko's old buddies Jess and Sheena.

I'll probably talk about parts of the trip at length in other posts, but we're trying to catch up as quickly as we can - sorry about that!

Oh, before I forget - the Basilisk/Puppy totes will be up on Tuesday! Here's a look at the print,

So cute! See you next week! In a more timely manner, I promise.

Comments

Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs...

Comment by Joe D. (not verified) Thu, 03/11/2010 - 15:33

Welcome back! Better go convince Conrad that you still deserve that shiny new website.

a little known fact

Comment by Jingseng (not verified) Thu, 03/11/2010 - 15:40

flying cats are the natural predators of flying squirrels.

Please tell me that is a

Comment by Jedifreak (not verified) Thu, 03/11/2010 - 15:42

Please tell me that is a real cafe and where it is. I'LL TAKE GEOGRAPHIC COORDINATES IF NECESSARY!

Comment by JrdBnta (not verified) Fri, 03/12/2010 - 10:13

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Comment by NatNat (not verified) Thu, 03/11/2010 - 15:57

Flying cat!!! - I'm so happy to finally see him with his own shop*, my mom always told me he isn't real :(

I love the way Yuko draw cats!

*shop/local restaurant - or whatever you call it in english ;)

I'm stupid...it's cafe D:

Comment by NatNat (not verified) Thu, 03/11/2010 - 16:01

I'm stupid...it's cafe D:

not at all

Comment by Jingseng (not verified) Thu, 03/11/2010 - 16:48

there's often little difference between restaurants and cafes.... many cafes often serve food and full meals. Any real difference would be the setting, price, and tolerance of servers for people sitting around doing nothing.

I'm so happy that there are still nice people on the internet!

Comment by NatNat (not verified) Thu, 03/11/2010 - 17:18

haha thank you for your comment, it's sweet that you wanted to educate me, but I do see the difference between cafes and restaurants, I just didn't notice word "cafe" next to flying cat so I didn't know how to call the place, that's why I was wondering if it's shop or restaurant or whatever you could call it- but it doesn't matter anymore and I shouldn't be complaining about my English - it's stupid ;D Anyway - I always feel bad to comments on foreign sites. So I will shut up now :)

NATNAT

Comment by Scruffy (not verified) Fri, 03/12/2010 - 12:59

NatNat, you're doing JUST fine with your English-type comments :)

not at all

Comment by Jingseng (not verified) Fri, 03/12/2010 - 14:50

it's good that you are not afraid and try! keep it up!

eeeeeeEEEEeee

Comment by yraelis (not verified) Thu, 03/11/2010 - 15:59

COMICS!

(ahem) excuse me, my Tuesday was a bit bleaker without an update.

(and I am EXCITED for totebags.)

Did you never name the cat? D: DID I MISS IT? WHAT'S IN A NAME!?!?

Also: what were you doing in Portland? Secret missions to sway George Rohac back to the Eastcoast?

Rook

Comment by Andrew (not verified) Thu, 03/11/2010 - 16:07

That cat's name is rook.
Its a good name. :)

Basilisk/Puppy totes!!!

Comment by jojo (not verified) Thu, 03/11/2010 - 16:08

I might be getting meself one of those D:

Puppy is just so cute :)

Portland

Comment by Robert (not verified) Thu, 03/11/2010 - 16:57

Portland is a lot of fun—I've never been to the Flying Cat though, although we usually stop by a cafe called Old Wives' Tales while we're there(my grandfather always mistakenly calls it "The Three Witches" for some reason...)

Did you get to visit Powell's bookstore?

COINCIDENCES

Comment by Antaku (not verified) Thu, 03/11/2010 - 17:12

Stuff like this happens to me all the time. Whenever I think "I shall now commence to look at the nearest house number", it's either 27 or 42. Like, WITHOUT FAIL. I'm used to it by now.

You reminded me of my

Comment by lennan (not verified) Thu, 03/11/2010 - 17:37

You reminded me of my cats...who I will never see again. D= But that's really cute. There's really a place called "Flying Cat Cafe"? XD

Doodle doodle doodle

Comment by Razor (not verified) Thu, 03/11/2010 - 17:52

Hee! I liked the doodles, esp the girl who's not too sure about the Maw...

As for today's comic: "Heeeere's your sign!"

*is shot*

Portland

Comment by Miss Portlander (not verified) Thu, 03/11/2010 - 19:42

On behalf of me and my friends here in Portland, we're sad to see you go back home. Even if it caused a slow bit of updating, it made our lives just a tad bit more exciting trying to look for you guys at the mall or on the street with the possibility of meeting someone famous (or at least in our opinions). Though none of us knew what we would do if we saw you... Maybe hi... yeah hi might work... Visit again soon! We'll figure out something to say by then!

I like the sketches from the

Comment by Jukebox (not verified) Thu, 03/11/2010 - 19:51

I like the sketches from the plane. I especially like the use of the bold words in the foreground being used as a censor on the girl in the bottom right.

Flying Cat Cafe!

Comment by M3rcd (not verified) Thu, 03/11/2010 - 20:08

This place sounds amazing, also the plane sketches are very interesting.

Airplane drawing

Comment by Geoff (not verified) Thu, 03/11/2010 - 20:14

It's wonderful to have you guys back. Love to-day's comic, and the drawings you did on the plane are so cute.

But didn't the airline, FAA, and Homeland Security get upset with you drawing on their aircraft? I suppose that after seeing the wonderful arts, they just forgave you. :P

So wait

Comment by noodles (not verified) Thu, 03/11/2010 - 20:42

Who takes care of the cats? :<

Cats > little children

Comment by Jingseng (not verified) Fri, 03/12/2010 - 14:52

They are and they aren't like little kids (as you may or may not know).

You can leave them alone for a day or three, given enough food and water. They may not like it, and may become especially clingy (figuratively and literally) when you get back, but it can be done. Any longer though, and you really probably should have someone check in on him. And clean out the litter box =x

O_O

Comment by Skie (not verified) Thu, 03/11/2010 - 21:53

Is that, perhaps, the place?
If so, it has been added to my (disturbingly) lengthy list of restaurants/locations to visit when I finally roadtrip.

If only you two knew sign language. Then you could make yet another "sign" joke. Get it? You signed that the sign you saw was a sign-- *Shot*

Don't fret

Comment by Ratatat (not verified) Thu, 03/11/2010 - 22:13

I forgive you, and so, I'm sure, does most everyone else. ^_^

The Flying Cat

Comment by teax2 (not verified) Thu, 03/11/2010 - 22:16

When I was a kid I loved a series of books called
"Catwings" by Ursula K. Le Guin. They're short, black-and-white illustrated books with large print, somewhere between fantasy and magical realism. They're about four kittens born with wings that have to leave their (non-winged) mom in the city and fly away to a new home. It's a surprisingly subtle story, and not so cute as to be cliched.

If there is a heaven on

Comment by Samm Neiland (not verified) Thu, 03/11/2010 - 23:18

If there is a heaven on earth then, the Flying Cat Cafe must be it :o

... cowbell

Comment by Jason (not verified) Fri, 03/12/2010 - 02:51

The comic:
v_____v
^___________________^
T__T

In the airplane drawing I can't quite make out what's written in the background of "Yuko drew" finishing the statement: obviously what this needs is more...

I know it'll be obvious once someone says it. >_>

Well, actually...

Comment by ??? (not verified) Fri, 03/12/2010 - 07:16

The more I think about it, the more I think the placement of that text is intentional. :P

(I'm just joshin...don't tase me)

Pretty sure it says

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 12:12

Pretty sure it says "Obviously this needs more dragons" on account of how many dragons there are, an obvious g, what looks like an a before the g, and what looks like the bottom half of o n s after the g. :3

Err :3

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 12:14

Err... "Obviously what this needs is more dragons" I should have paid more attention to the part you could fully see xD

Oh, that pun was amazing. I

Comment by Maya (not verified) Fri, 03/12/2010 - 10:53

Oh, that pun was amazing. I think I just laughed myself into a hernia. XD

I too express a wish to see this cafe someday.

6 pm???

Comment by Hikki536 (not verified) Fri, 03/12/2010 - 10:56

Based on Google, the cafe's hour is from 6 AM to 6 PM.

What kind of cafe closes that early in the day? Don't they know coffee is for the creature of the night?????

not dumb!

Comment by jaycegrae (not verified) Fri, 03/12/2010 - 11:38

Yuko, I love that two-headed, duck billed winged creature in the upper right hand corner! She's not dumb at all - she's beautiful! Please give her another chance at stardom?

totes

Comment by Leah (not verified) Fri, 03/12/2010 - 12:40

How much are the totes going to be?

$15!

Comment by Ananth Sat, 03/13/2010 - 12:25

$15!

I was re-reading "City Limits"

Comment by Zak (not verified) Fri, 03/12/2010 - 13:01

is Smilin' George the same george who published "City Limits"?

One and the same!

Comment by Ananth Sat, 03/13/2010 - 12:25

One and the same!

aw, that's too bad...the

Comment by justa (not verified) Fri, 03/12/2010 - 18:36

aw, that's too bad...the flying cat's a rad place.

doodle page

Comment by Cake (not verified) Fri, 03/12/2010 - 22:14

RE: Yuko's doodle:
Eee! I'd like to see more of the ducky-dragon creature in the top right corner =)))
(also welcome back).

I love you guys

Comment by Awesomaton (not verified) Sat, 03/13/2010 - 00:44

This comic is so awesome. It always entertains me. I may not laugh sometimes, but even when this comic doesn't tickle my funny bone it still seems to keep my attention.

Wearing a cape means you can

Comment by Someursault (not verified) Mon, 03/15/2010 - 03:59

Wearing a cape means you can fly. It was true when they made Super Mario World back in 1990 and it's just as true today.

emerald city

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 01:33

I went around and around ECCC looking for you guys. but the nice people at ONI press told me you weren't going to make it. I was so sad.

Flying Cat

Comment by Snazziosity (not verified) Thu, 04/15/2010 - 20:01

I went in there with my friend a little after this comic was posted. I told the owner/manager about the comic! They have good hot chocolate...

There's a song in spanish called that...

Comment by NeoTsunami (not verified) Fri, 05/28/2010 - 10:28

I really don't think you guys will read this but I just had the awkwardest flashback ever! haha You guys know that god-awful music genre that's probably sounding on every latino neighborhood in the world: Reggaeton. I know, it's the worst possible excuse for musical endeavors since hip-hop. And kinda makes me a bit ashamed of being of Latin descent (I'm from Mexico). But I just remembered this:

When Reggaeton was starting, (this being about 10 years ago) there was a song called The Flying Cat (El Gato Volador) which you could hear blasting out of every car, club and laptop every single day. It was horrible...and now you've brought it back...so YouTube it and be a bit empathic of the pain you have brought back into my life ¬¬...

gsxnsUfwdSU

Comment by Bubby (not verified) Fri, 06/24/2011 - 04:04

Artlices like this are an example of quick, helpful answers.

Sorry I missed you

Comment by Owner of the Flying Cat Cafe (not verified) Tue, 06/12/2012 - 21:23

One of my customers emailed me the link to your blog. I'm so sorry we were closed and missed out on your awesomeness!

I think you would have enjoyed your time in my cafe so hopefully on your next visit you'll try us again.

I am going to proudly display your cartoon in my coffee shop tomorrow.

Thanks again,