Basilisk tote bags are up!

Basilisk tote bags are up!

Tue, 03/16/2010 - 17:57 by Ananth in response to ambulance cat

Guys this cat loves to talk, he is like a terrible cat Seinfeld (only Rook would never make Bee Movie, no way).

Basilisk tote bags are up! They are pretty adorable,

Click through on the photo if you like!

I was sick! It came with nausea this time ... anyway, long story short, not used to nausea, so I didn't get a lot of work done.  But!! I played some FFXIII (all day Sunday, something I haven't done since high school ... it felt wrong). Not sure how I feel about the game! But I think Lightning is the best brooding archetype they've ever had, and Sazh is tough not to love. Not liking jailbait girl, ugh, get outta my face. Story-wise, I'm fighting to meet up with the other members of my team right now. NO SPOILERS PLEASE, thanks! Anyway, the part that's interesting for you is that Yuko did a quick scribble of Lightning,

YEAH.

See you Thursday!

Comments

Haha, I rescued a kitten

Comment by Jade (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 18:04

Haha, I rescued a kitten that was born underneath a neighbor's shed and ended up keeping her, and oh good lord, she never shuts up just like her mom! So noisy, but so cute. D:

I didn't think I would like Lightning because she was being promoted as the female Cloud (I do not like Cloud /shot), but I ended up really liking her. :D Though Hope and Sazh might be my favourites (and Fang, because she is such a hot bitch).

Cat Train

Comment by Stefan (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 18:12

Copper (my cat) has long hind claws so she clicks when she walks. She's also a very talky, loud cat. Recently she was walking down the hall making a CLICK click click click, CLICK click click click rhythm and in the middle of her walk down the hall, she went MEOW-WOW! She's a kitty train!

Aww! He's telling you

Comment by Amanda (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 18:15

Aww! He's telling you stories about his day :)
My aunt's cat used to do that, and she'd answer her. The cat, Luna, would always pause while my aunt was talking back. It was like they were having a conversation!

WeeooooooOOOOOOOOooooooooo

Comment by Rain (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 18:15

So is that a japanese ambulance of an american ambulance cat?

Chatty Catty

Comment by Corrin (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 18:16

Haha! Rook is just like my cat! She chats and chats and talks and meows like craaaazy, sometimes we even just sit around and I'll talk to her and she'll answer. I'm the only one she does that for too most of the time. They'd get along well, have long philosophical conversations discussing the meaning of life and what kind of cat food is best after a long day of lazing about.

Comment by Maxwellian (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 18:23

Pinstripe/Pinnie/Panini and currently Neenaw, because she's our little Waaaah!mbulance is the one making herself known in that video.

Paisley just purrs and wants cuddles mostly.

Mmm half siamese kitties.....

Looks like the cast page is

Comment by MarkShark (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 18:30

Looks like the cast page is even more due for an update. :D

M- to the -E- to the -OW

Comment by psychogaze (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 18:48

...Domo-Meow? Also, Lightning seems PEEEVED.

Lighting is ALWAYS peeved.

Comment by Rachelle (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 21:16

Lighting is ALWAYS peeved.

Truth.

Comment by Aperture (not verified) Wed, 03/17/2010 - 12:33

Truth.

Rook seemed to warm up to me

Comment by Yenian (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 18:55

Rook seemed to warm up to me a bit while I was there. Followed me out into the living room and hung out with me one morning.

Probably just wanted to be fed.

ROOK joins the party!

Comment by Joe D. (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 18:59

You were unaware that this is what cats do when they want anything? Unfortunate.

srsly

Comment by Jingseng (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 21:33

my black kitty does this too... i think mostly rook is trying to communicate his curiosity as too what it is he is smelling, what you are eating, why you aren't sharing, and the various and manifold injustices perpetuated by furless apes upon catkind in not sharing food with cats.

It never seems to dawn on my kitty that I don't try to steal HER food.

I imagine anytime you guys step out for a little bit and come back, you are greeted at the door with an unending chorus of meowing as well?

This is what I read:

Comment by Skie (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 19:00

Rook: Meeeoooow.

Lightning: Meow.

BRB

Comment by Emily (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 19:00

Begging LJ to make me an animated icon of those middle three panels. I'll post it here if someone does make it, if that's ok with you, Yuko? Obviously there will be credit and linkage and so on.

Eeee!

Comment by Emily (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 19:53

Someone did it for me! We now have Rook .gif!

MEEOOOWWW!!!

Comment by Hikki536 (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 19:09

Your cat is communicating with the space aliens, that's what happened!

Also, brooding Lightning is brooding. Personally find it odd that she'd be wearing the military outfit wherever she goes, even when she's doing dishes -_- Lightning, loosen up, girl.

oh so cute so cute

Comment by jojo (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 19:20

It's always little pet moments like this I hear about that make me really want a cat of my own =w=

Rook...

Comment by Kosciej (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 19:23

Isn't that a type of crow? Something about Rooks and magpies... Was it a nursery rhyme or somesuch?

Rook.

Comment by Softspoken (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 19:40

Rooks are a kind of large black bird, similar to ravens and crows. There's a pretty good card game called Rook (named after the bird), and of course, the chess piece. It is also a part of the ear, so you can get a rook piercing.

Now Yuko, which (if any) were the basis for the naming of this cat? I'm dying to know!

Rook!

Comment by Aido Tue, 03/16/2010 - 21:20

Some people might've noticed, I like corvids.  :D  So I'd say he's named after the bird first and the chess piece second.  :D  Nothing to do with the game or anatomy.

Also when I was younger, ROOK was a handle I used when playing arcade games.  But I didn't make the connection until after we'd named him, haha!

Nice handle!

Comment by Softspoken (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 21:28

That's actually a really cool handle, in my opinion. And I would guess that it was based on the bird, but I always like to be sure. :P

Also, your expression in the second panel would make a hilarious avatar.

Haha, yeah! I gathered that

Comment by Kosciej (not verified) Thu, 03/18/2010 - 20:18

Haha, yeah! I gathered that from the Maws and stuff. Couldn't quite remember about rooks though. I used to run around the dunes as a kid and the ravens and I would yell at each other. It was pretty slick.

FFXIII

Comment by Trae (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 20:39

Don't hate me for saying this, but Yuko made Lightning too masculine looking! She may act tough, but she still looks like a woman. The drawing still looks really good, though, especially on the clothes! Personally, I've been loving FFXIII. I don't like how whiny Hope is, but the rest of the characters are pretty well-made, and the gameplay changes aren't as drastic as everyone thinks they are; it still feels pretty turn based. Personal opinion, though; it's not perfect, and some people simply despise its flaws where they are. Still a fantastic game.

How much the cat meows reminds me of Marshmallow kitty from Josh Lesnick's girly. Very cute. I absolutely love the expressions in the middle three panels.

Game rant

Comment by Hikki536 (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 20:57

Am I the only one who somewhat likes Hope?

He's the only one who can call out Alexander! (imo, the most awesome summon other than Odin in the game)

I, too, personally think that the game is awesome in its own right. It's not FUKKEN EPIC, but it's awesome nonetheless.

[off topic]speaking of epic, played Bayonetta, and it was epic. -_-[/off topic]

FFXIII

Comment by Trae (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 21:06

I don't hate him. I just think it would have been way better if he wasn't constantly complaining for the first 8/9 hours of the game. As far as I've seen, I'm the only one who somewhat likes Vanille. The fact of the matter are that Sazh and her are a good antithesis from the story; they add some joy to a story that's pretty bleak otherwise. I haven't gotten Hope's summon yet; I've only got about 10 hours of gameplay time thus far.

aaaa

Comment by Aido Tue, 03/16/2010 - 21:16

Sorry guys, but please be careful with the spoilers!

FFXIII

Comment by Trae (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 21:33

Oh, sorry! We haven't really mentioned any spoilers yet, but I'll stop if you'd like.

non-spoiler note...

Comment by Hikki536 (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 21:51

non-spoiler note, I also like Vanille (ALOT!!!), so you aren't alone, Trae. :)

Vanille fan-club assemble!

Comment by That-One-Guy (not verified) Wed, 03/17/2010 - 06:24

Vanille fan-club assemble!

For the Vanille lovers

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 03/26/2010 - 00:30

Well, for those of you who like Vanille, but have probably never put her as your controllable character, once you get her Eidolon do so. My friend was over while I was playing one day, and he happened to comment on how every sound she made while running around the field or fighting was sexual sounding. They kinda were, but at the same time weren't so I just told him to shut up. The first time I used her summon and used it's final attack, I had no right to defend her anymore. She basically orgasms when it attacks...it's actually pretty hilarious.

Rook wants your full and

Comment by Jack K (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 21:39

Rook wants your full and undivided attention. RIGHT MEOW.

haha!

Comment by Mitchell (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 21:45

This is just like my cat. He follows me around and tells me everything. I work from home taking calls for tech support and he will sometimes sit next to me and meow until I pet him or look at him. Love it! haha!

A new challenger approaches! D:

Comment by Samm Neiland (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 22:44

Does that mean I have to work Rook into the theme song now?

Rook: He's the cat who'll confuse his foes by imitating any kind of ambulance siren

The tote bag looks awesome BTW, I keep meaning to buy stuff from you guys (especially the crest sticker so I can slap it on my guitar).

ha, does the cat just one

Comment by sir_doopalot (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 23:06

ha, does the cat just one long meow for longer than you think is possible with those little lungs?

cause that's what my little sisters cat does, he'll just go, and go, and go until you start to worry that he'll pass out. then he stops, breathes, and starts again.

AHHHH, CUTE KITTY

Comment by Joe (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 23:51

Rook is so cute. You guys may turn me into a cat person yet.

Vanille is not TECHNICALLY jailbait. The guides peg her as 19. But her voice is so goddamn annoying and childish that it's hard to picture her as any older than Hope.

Sazh is definitely the most likable character, and you only want to feel more sympathetic to him as the game goes on. You will know the exact sequence of events I'm referring to when you get to it.

This came up with a few

Comment by HalEmmerich (not verified) Wed, 03/17/2010 - 02:19

This came up with a few friends the other day. That Vanille is supposed to be 19 makes FFXIII the first FF game in a looooong time without a jailbait female character. Depending on how old Garnet is in FFIX, as none of us were motivated enough to look it up, since FFVI. Unless you're going to be extra sick and count Eiko or Relm, anyway.

Point being, congrats Square Enix, you've come so far!

They can say she's 19 easily

Comment by Ananth Wed, 03/17/2010 - 10:48

They can say she's 19 easily - they said Fang was 21, hah! Too many Japanese games/comics/etc. design a character to look like she's 12 and then say she's 17. It's an industry and it's a little gross to me ...

True enough. It is a bit

Comment by HalEmmerich (not verified) Thu, 03/18/2010 - 00:55

True enough. It is a bit worse in a way, but not having played FFXIII yet, Vanille's case seems less an offense in that direction than the somewhat more typical 'centuries old loli' situation you're talking about. At least she looks like she could be the age they claim.

There's also some examples of the opposite out there in anime too...best example off the top of my head, any given human cast member of Bleach(in particular Ichigo, Chad, and Orihime) are supposed to be 15? Umm...k. If you say so...

Nice cat

Comment by King_Bahamut (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 23:58

I am not entirely sure why, but that cat reminds me of kamineko from Azumanga Daioh only without the teeth. My little sister's cat is also quite the noisy one he meows on his way to the cat food bowl even if it is not empty. I am not entirely sure why he does this but it gets aggravating after a while. Any other time he does it and I scare him off. (Would not do to scare him away from his food and make him think eating is a bad thing) Anyways love the comic as usual.(^^)

Talking cats!

Comment by Pupsqueak (not verified) Wed, 03/17/2010 - 00:05

My cat's a talker too, only she's quieter and makes strange not-meows. Like mrrows and squeaks actually.

I want to print this out and tape it up but I'm seriously out of room (too many posters, AG Lite and earlier J*W comics...)

I'm guessing lightning is

Comment by Spizzy (not verified) Wed, 03/17/2010 - 00:30

I'm guessing lightning is the pictured character on the game cover.....are they a boy or a girl???

A girl

Comment by Hikki536 (not verified) Wed, 03/17/2010 - 00:50

Squeenix mentioned that Lightning may be the most masculine girl they've had in FF series. Though I beg to differ... Faris from FF5, Freya from FF9, and Fran from FF12 were all pretty tough chicks (Whoa... and all of their names start with "F")

Wow, Rook is awesome. :3 My

Comment by Diem-fish (not verified) Wed, 03/17/2010 - 00:52

Wow, Rook is awesome. :3 My cat talks to me. She meows and then I meow back at her, then she meows back again. It's a vicious cycle.

The Puppy bags are awesome as well, I'm just short in the funds department. >.<

Rook is a hint for someone...

Comment by Nare (not verified) Wed, 03/17/2010 - 01:10

Since the coming of Rook into your lives, I've been waiting for one day Yuko suddenly enter Med school. Then Ananth should fear a certain checklist from a year ago. xD

Ahahaha. Hahahahahaha.

Comment by Ananth Wed, 03/17/2010 - 10:49

Ahahaha. Hahahahahaha. Hahaahahahaha haaaa oh boy.

Somewhere out there...

Comment by Hikki536 (not verified) Wed, 03/17/2010 - 17:31

I'm sure somewhere out there in some alternate universe, it's already happened O_O
So much potential in alternate universe. For all we know, in another world, Yuko's actually a mad scientist trying to revive Godzilla and taking over the world, and all who know her would fear her wrath.

I need to stop re-watching Futurama...

Mine are just like this

Comment by Kacy Smith (not verified) Wed, 03/17/2010 - 02:04

Both of my cats can be just like that. It's great when they get really talkative and all three of us have a 'conversation'. Also, you should update the cast page with the new cast cards you've made.

O_o

Comment by Kacy Smith (not verified) Wed, 03/17/2010 - 02:06

Why is it that when I reread my comment, I imagine the cast cards as some sort of weird Cardcaptor Sakura card card. I've never even seen any of Cardcaptor Sakura...

?!

Comment by Jan (not verified) Wed, 03/17/2010 - 03:03

You named the cat Rook?! OMG, my two favourite animals combined into one glorious creature! O_O