Maw keychains and Basilisk totes!

Maw keychains and Basilisk totes!

Tue, 03/23/2010 - 16:15 by Ananth in response to like $200 worth of tinkertoys

Hey everyone! This happened post-IKEA - I've had the script in reserve for a little while now. John loves to build everything (I like to do it too, but I think he gets more out of it). Actually, he and Yuko built Rook some cat steps that they bolted to the wall in the living room - we'll post photos some time.

Basilisk totes came out last week! And something new today - we haven't really talked about this at all, so it's a surprise: Maw keychains! Hope you like:

That's all for us! See you on Thursday!

Comments

Haha, first time commenting

Comment by Neonezko (not verified) Tue, 03/23/2010 - 16:40

Haha, first time commenting here, though I've been reading for a while. But I digress.
I've gotten to be like that with computers (more so with the 'taking apart', though putting them back together is good fun as well) which may or may not be a good thing depending on the circumstances.

I^.^kea

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 03/23/2010 - 16:44

It makes me very, very happy to see that Johnny Wander shares the corporate love of absurdly complex Ikea constructions (http://www.wastedtalent.ca/index.php?view=362).

And yaaaay for 5 o'clock comics! Not that we don't absolutely love the comic regardless of when it comes out, but early comics are a yummy treat from time to time.

HAMMER HAMMER HAMMER NAIL NAIL NAIL

Comment by Joe D. (not verified) Tue, 03/23/2010 - 16:47

The simple satisfaction one gets from building can be fairly addictive.

maw!

Comment by gwenz (not verified) Tue, 03/23/2010 - 16:48

I love the little maw!

Does John know about

Comment by Samm Neiland (not verified) Tue, 03/23/2010 - 17:24

Does John know about http://ikeahacker.blogspot.com/ ?

Now he can make Ikea monsters, Mwhahahaha!

Mr. Fix-it

Comment by Fraoch (not verified) Tue, 03/23/2010 - 17:31

I get that way after I put something together. It's like a fixer's high. Half the time I'm like 'Crap I should have gotten more stuff! D:<'

Also: Maw keychain! *grabby hands*

meh

Comment by Denis (not verified) Tue, 03/23/2010 - 17:38

while I do enjoy building things, Ikea furniture is waaaaaaaaaaaaay down the list, due to overly complicated and/or undetailed building instructions. that is the last time I buy one of their products... CURSE YOU UNIVERSITY

I like that Ananth's speech

Comment by noodles (not verified) Tue, 03/23/2010 - 17:46

I like that Ananth's speech bubble has a waggly tail...

I thought you had another

Comment by RaptureInCrimson (not verified) Tue, 03/23/2010 - 18:29

I thought you had another kitty....

Insert doom related title here.

Comment by Skie (not verified) Tue, 03/23/2010 - 19:49

I'm in the same boat with John. I love building IKEA stuff. Frighteningly... all but two furniture pieces in my current room are IKEA-bought.

I am 100% picking up a Maw keychain, by the way. Should I proceed immediately (limited stock) or wait a bit (unlimited stock)? =O I jumped on the chance to get a Maw figure (and I do not regret it. It's currently trying to eat my laptop) and am extremely pleased with it. A keychain would be a nice addition to my bland keyring.

Limited!

Comment by Aido Tue, 03/23/2010 - 19:59

Everything we have in the store is a limited stock.  There's only so much room in our apartment--!

Oh man, but let-me-tell-you, I put a maw on my keychain, and MAN does it look good.  I spent part of the afternoon putting lobster clasps and jump rings on a few to use them as pendants and zipper pulls-- we'll add those to the store later. :D

Suddenly: Fear

Comment by Skie (not verified) Wed, 03/24/2010 - 00:46

One day you'll activate all the Maws that have been spread around the world... and on that day they will take over--

Errr-- What I mean to say is-- Totally buying a Maw keyring right about... now.

I look forward to the other dastardly things you have up your sleeve; unless you've got a robo-Maw. (If you have a robo-Maw, I need to start building my bunker a bit faster...)

Cat Steps and Trees

Comment by Jingseng (not verified) Tue, 03/23/2010 - 20:19

Incidentally, cat condos/trees are pretty cheap on Amazon usually (far more so compared to physical retail stores), and usually require assembly.

However, if you guys are feeling the builder bug, you can probably use the images as inspiration for putting together your own - I would think most of the material (would, screws, bolts, carpet samples) would be available at local craft or hardware stores. The only thing I'm not really sure about is the Sissel rope stuff.

Chances are you can make one out of cardboard, and rook will love it. But it may not last very long, and you may get scraps of cardboard everywhere....

Unit 5 no want dissasemble.

Comment by Fred McDonald (not verified) Tue, 03/23/2010 - 20:42

I can't say I get as much satisfaction constructing as I do disassembling them. I find you learn much more about something as you take it apart, as you already know it's eventual state and operation.

Maybe, together, we can make the world a better place by taking it apart, cleaning it, and putting back together.

That is funny!

Comment by Kevin (not verified) Tue, 03/23/2010 - 20:56

Break something so I can put it back together, now there is a person that enjoys doing something.(^^) About the only thing of mine that is kind of broken is the seatbelt on my wheelchair. Love the comic as usual, the little fairy tale comics are cute in my opinion but I do enjoy hearing snippets in the lives of some people more.

Dudes. And Dudette.

Comment by Joe Fox (not verified) Tue, 03/23/2010 - 21:41

Way to be all like, "HERE'S MORE AWESOME JW STUFF :D" like a week after ordering mah stickers. D:<

I kid, I kid. It's totally epic, and I'm gonna get one as soon as I can.

I wish I were any good at constructing things, but sadly my building skills are limited to Warhammer models and LEGO kits.

John is my absolute

Comment by Cheri (not verified) Wed, 03/24/2010 - 00:46

John is my absolute favorite. =]

Hammer hammer hammer hammer...

Comment by Joe (not verified) Wed, 03/24/2010 - 00:47

I actually do like putting things together. It's one of the few things my dad tried to teach me that managed to rub off. One of the first things he taught me is that I should never trust a man that doesn't own his own hammer. But I have to do things with old-school tools, if possible. I'll take a screwdriver over a screwgun any day. I think there's a greater feeling of satisfaction when I do it that way.

basilisk keychain next? :D

Comment by talia (not verified) Wed, 03/24/2010 - 02:15

basilisk keychain next? :D

re: like $200 worth of tinkertoys

Comment by Cake (not verified) Wed, 03/24/2010 - 03:35

I love the onomatopoeia. "ert ert ert" is exactly the noise that makes!

SQUEAKA SQUEAKA SQUEAKA SQUEAK

Comment by Joe (not verified) Wed, 03/24/2010 - 17:18

Tinkertoys, Lincoln Logs, Legos and K'nex.
But I might be showing my age (or lack thereof) with that last one.

All four are A+.

Comment by Skie (not verified) Wed, 03/24/2010 - 18:24

80's/Early 90's kid as well, eh?

Indeed.

Comment by Joe (not verified) Wed, 03/24/2010 - 18:34

The 90s were a good place to be.

90s!

Comment by Skie (not verified) Thu, 03/25/2010 - 14:31

I miss 90s game and competition shows.
Guts, Wild & Crazy Kids, Legends of the Hidden Temple...

:'(

Ert Ert Ert

Comment by Razor (not verified) Thu, 03/25/2010 - 11:55

Ha! I was thinking the very same thing! =)

Although when I put stuff together it's more like "#*&@!! @&$*%!!!" XD

Gravity, why?!

Comment by Anpan (not verified) Wed, 03/24/2010 - 03:47

How cute~!
:D
I wish I could make cat steps for my cat,
but he's kinda fat, and thus I would fear for the longevity of the step. . .

So~ gonna buy that keychain.
. . .
and a shirt.

I love Ikea so much, mainly

Comment by GBeans (not verified) Wed, 03/24/2010 - 13:25

I love Ikea so much, mainly because (in the UK) at least, they sell awesome food in their cafeteria. Meatballs and unidentifiable white sauce! Mm, mmm! Hotdogs that are inexplicably crunchy, but delicious anyway!
What, they sell furniture?

Wow, the keyring is awesome! Where did you guys get them made? Some day I aspire to get badges made that are a bit like that. :D

Oh really?

Comment by Worst (not verified) Wed, 03/24/2010 - 13:33

Does one of the things John like to build perhaps Gundam models?

John's glasses...

Comment by Sublorange (not verified) Wed, 03/24/2010 - 16:20

...In panel one and two, are they just floating on his face? ._.

Arms have been amputated at the artist's request.

Comment by Joe (not verified) Wed, 03/24/2010 - 17:22

...Now that I go back and look through the archives, it doesn't seem like ANYBODY'S glasses EVER have the arms. I would not have noticed this if someone didn't point it out.

Oh!

Comment by FlammaLea (not verified) Wed, 03/24/2010 - 16:23

That keyring is adorable! Did you make them yourself? So want to make some now!!

Projects galore...

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 03/24/2010 - 16:33

if john really likes building things he should check out Instructables.com its free to join and has TONS of neat diy projects from the simple

to the complex

i know ive spent countless hours just browsing the website and i hope you'll find as much joy as i did.

John is...

Comment by iidesuyone (not verified) Wed, 03/24/2010 - 16:47

... awesome! And so are you guys!

'nuff said.
=)

THIS IS AMAZING!!!

Comment by Kendall (not verified) Thu, 03/25/2010 - 02:00

Seriously. The most rock n' roll keychain ever.

<3 maws.

Maw keychain with

Comment by Raika (not verified) Thu, 03/25/2010 - 03:17

Maw keychain with zipperpull? YES. 8D

I've been meaning to ask: Where do you guys go to get your stuff made? I've been wanting to sell my stuff online but I can't figure how your guys' prices are lower than others that I've seen. (Compare $20 to nearly $25~30 for just one T-shirt.) Your shirts are way awesome by the way.

CREEPILY ADORABLE

Comment by BG (not verified) Mon, 05/23/2011 - 14:42

Right up my alley, wish i had the cash to buy :'-T

GASP!