I-Con this weekend!

I-Con this weekend!

Thu, 03/25/2010 - 21:46 by Ananth in response to one man's trash

You guys might recall this comic from way back when - sometimes dreams do come true.

Hey guys! I know many of you are headed to PAX East, but we will be at I-Con in Long Island this weekend! If you're free and in the area, come by and say hello. We'll be bringing all the JW merch we can carry, and we'd love to say hey! We'll be sharing a table with Mookie of Dominic Deegan

Most of you already caught this, but Maw keychains and Basilisk totes bags are both in the store right now! Drop in and take a look, if you like. :) And of course, there's the usual array of tees and other goodies.

See you this weekend! :D

Comments

I remember when I found a free chair on the street...

Comment by Samm Neiland (not verified) Thu, 03/25/2010 - 21:49

The campus cops pulled up alongside me and my friends and asked what we were doing and where that chair came from...

But I talked my way out of it like a smoooooooooth criminal.

Good luck with your table guys. May it bring you much joy <3

Oh man, trash stories!

Comment by Joe Fox (not verified) Thu, 03/25/2010 - 22:12

I remember finding two old nutcrackers dumpster-diving when I was about 7 at my aunt's house. I still have them, 14 years later. One of them has acquired a tiny sombrero. It's nifty.

My friend made the most awesome find in a pseudo-dumpster diving way. He was walking along the road when he saw an old guitar case in the trash, and he decided to pick it up. Felt like something was in it, so he took it home, and inside was a 1980 Gibson 12-string. He was like, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. It was awesome.

Also, also, completely unrelated, but holy crap you guys, the Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World trailer is out.

It's aaaaaaaaawesome

Dudes, I totally just got a

Comment by Debra (not verified) Thu, 03/25/2010 - 22:28

Dudes, I totally just got a couch after a year in my apartment, and I feel, at 30, like a real live grown up now. I know your joy!

coffee tables really are one

Comment by Spizzy (not verified) Thu, 03/25/2010 - 22:31

coffee tables really are one of the best pieces of furniture

~COFFEE TABLE~

Comment by Neonezko (not verified) Thu, 03/25/2010 - 22:34

I don't know how I feel about the fact that I was reminded of that one comic... After the first panel.

Achievement Unlocked?

Comment by Softspoken (not verified) Sat, 03/27/2010 - 00:11

Accomplished, maybe? I think it was the happy John Omigosh. I don't know if we've ever seen happy John anywhere else, let alone so happy he's saying omigosh.

Granted, this would totally be my reaction if I had gone through this sequence of events.

Haha, probably, in regards

Comment by Neonezko (not verified) Sun, 03/28/2010 - 19:49

Haha, probably, in regards to both.

Certainly, certainly! Much the same here. (I imagine it would feel like quite the bit of luck, there, though.)

LI

Comment by EonDigital (not verified) Thu, 03/25/2010 - 22:37

It's a long drive from CO so I can't make it, but Stony Brook is my home turf. Feel free to ask if you want to know any random places worth checking out. I can at least give some suggestions :D

Literally on the side of the road!?

Comment by Lulu (not verified) Thu, 03/25/2010 - 22:48

My dad once found a big ol' cabinet in my neighbor's trash. So he took it and now it's in our garage haha

It looks like this was actually on the side of the road next to a sewer and all that! WOW! Lucky!

Gee Golly Wow!

Comment by Sophie (not verified) Thu, 03/25/2010 - 22:51

Loved loved loved the callback. Ah NYC, she takes with one hand and gives with the other. I've found tables, desks and bookshelves on the street but I was always searching for the elusive revolving store comics rack. I think that's my white whale of street finds.

Clearly, you need to carry

Comment by Joe Fox (not verified) Thu, 03/25/2010 - 23:07

Clearly, you need to carry around more harpoons, and acquire a friend/lackey named Ishmael. It's the only way you'll ever succeed.

This has happened to everyone

Comment by Skie (not verified) Thu, 03/25/2010 - 23:10

I think each and every one of us in the world has found something, somewhere that was abandoned... and we decide to make it our own. My item happened to be an ancient looking flat-top grill that I am still using to cook on even today. I found it about 5 years ago... and even then it was old. Now it's older. =P

Have fun at I-Con: Ananth, Yuko! I'd drop in and say hello, but my wallet doesn't allow it at the moment. (Though it probably will if you decide to make a reader meet-up happen. =P)

puh-puh-puh-puh-pics plz

Comment by kj (not verified) Fri, 03/26/2010 - 00:43

I DEMAND PICTURES OF THE MAGICAL STREETSIDE COFFEE TABLE >:O

If only because when that old comic first went up, I thought it was about me and my dad. His name is even John! Although neither of us wear glasses, furniture enthusiasts we are. Never brought anything in off the street, though I am planning to scout out an old wooden television when the next hard rubbish collection comes around. I know a friend who can hollow them out and make it into a fishtank.

Check the underside...

Comment by Cowdog (not verified) Fri, 03/26/2010 - 02:12

...of the coffee table for gum and cracks in the wood. There has to be a reason someone would ditch a table like that.

Thats great but.....why is

Comment by Mike (not verified) Fri, 03/26/2010 - 02:14

Thats great but.....why is it on a street corner?!?!?!

Mike

Hobo Coffee Table

Comment by Samm Neiland (not verified) Fri, 03/26/2010 - 02:47

Now all its missing is an empty Starbucks cup and the scent of you "don't want to know".

It just happens...

Comment by Eon (not verified) Sat, 03/27/2010 - 03:43

We bought a new sofa and abandoned our old one on the front of our lot with a sign saying 'Free Sofa'.

It was taken by the Sofa Ninja less than 24 hours later. Despite my mocking of my girlfriend and claims that nobody's going to wander past and decide to just make off with an abandoned sofa.

Shows what I know...

Anyway, the point of my post is that there doesn't HAVE to be something wrong with the old one, it might just have been replaced by a spankin' brand new and totally awesome one. Like our old couch.

that happened to my fridge

Comment by Mia (not verified) Wed, 04/07/2010 - 03:14

We got a new fridge, threw the old one on the curb and in less than an hour we had someone at our door going 'can we have that fridge? does it work?'

Congratulations on getting

Comment by Jeremy (not verified) Fri, 03/26/2010 - 07:38

Congratulations on getting that coffee table you've been dreaming about since comic 14. Now you just need some coasters to protect it from unsightly rings.

Hey, where's...

Comment by SBKT (not verified) Fri, 03/26/2010 - 08:27

I liked the angry looking John from Left-field. When I see those, it reminds me of me.

I just wanted to comment on

Comment by Na No Da (not verified) Fri, 03/26/2010 - 12:32

I just wanted to comment on the coffee table comic. Yea, don't get caught taking 'garbage' off the street. If sanitation catches you, you could get a citation and stuff. I know, it suck 'cause it's just recycling someone else's trash, but there's something about disposing of it properly..... Some crap like that. Point is, don't get arrested for stealing free garbage >.>;;

We actually took the coffee

Comment by John Kelly (not verified) Mon, 03/29/2010 - 01:27

We actually took the coffee table from the side of the road in the dead of night. I stood around next to it for a few minutes just to be sure it wasn't part of some covert move-out under the veil of night.

Maw stickers

Comment by Jingseng (not verified) Fri, 03/26/2010 - 13:08

how about some vinyl maw "stickers"? Like the cling kind, so we can put them on stuff like car windows, laptops, etc, without the sticker gunk?

from me to you or, well, something indirect

Comment by Alain (not verified) Fri, 03/26/2010 - 13:29

This is so much fun. I put out on the curb a round coffee table of about that size a few months ago. I simply had no room for it and I already had an heirloom coffee table in my living room.

I-con

Comment by Kristen Saunders (not verified) Fri, 03/26/2010 - 17:09

I wish I could be there ,I love Dominic Deegan and Johnny Wander so much! I wish I could be there to meet you both but sadly my job keeps me here... in Michigan. Have fun!

FINALLY some closure to that

Comment by Michael Jonathan (not verified) Fri, 03/26/2010 - 18:38

FINALLY some closure to that storyline. I was wondering when you guys would wrap that up.

Heh.

Comment by ggelatine (not verified) Fri, 03/26/2010 - 20:56

Lots of sparkly text lately, heh. Awesome. :D

You don't understand how

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 03/27/2010 - 00:07

You don't understand
how happy
this has made me

Victory Pose

Comment by Omnithea (not verified) Sat, 03/27/2010 - 03:15

I imagine in the next scene Yuko attempts to lift the coffee table over her head in victory, a la Legend of Zelda, and is crushed. A fairy revives her, and the quest continues.

Aughhhhh I live RIGHT NEXT

Comment by Ariel Yang (not verified) Sat, 03/27/2010 - 13:35

Aughhhhh I live RIGHT NEXT TO WHERE I-CON IS BEING HELD!!! EXCEPT THIS WEEKEND I'M IN BOSTON WAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH you gotta come again later!

Return of the Giddyfaces! 8D

Comment by Fraoch (not verified) Sat, 03/27/2010 - 16:29

That's how my dad found my first car. Didn't turn out well though lol.
Have fun at PAX! Tell Mookie his comic rocks for us!

Mookie??

Comment by Nyarlathotep (not verified) Sun, 03/28/2010 - 17:47

The man whose art has improved by a factor of 0% since he started his comic? How could even think about sitting next to- Oh wait yeah that's right Ananth writes for Applegeeks of course he would like company so similar to himself.

Omigod!

Comment by darrylayo (not verified) Mon, 03/29/2010 - 01:42

This is exactly how excited I was when I bought my first coffee table. A beautiful investment!

Scared that i did the exact

Comment by Ankarg (not verified) Mon, 03/29/2010 - 03:32

Scared that i did the exact same thing this weekend while working. Pizza guy with a table sticking out of his trunk. Once in a lifetime photo op

Fire Coffee

Comment by Gaianna (not verified) Mon, 03/29/2010 - 08:52

My first coffee table that my hamster now sits on, I rescued from a fire pit. Luckily for me it hadn't been set on fire yet...

Every thing in my house is from side of the road, garage sales and relatives/ camp. I love my little house!!!
I acted the same way when I found my computer desk for $10 it was perfect and exactly what I wanted.

Uh...oops

Comment by Move your feet (not verified) Mon, 03/29/2010 - 10:38

This comic reminds me of my my first find,
I found a really cool bed frame and it was lying the trash so I loaded into the back of the car... until someone came outside and asked me what I was doing. I asked if the were throwing it out... turns out they were still moving in...oops
.__. ;;

Maw key-chain now comes with a chain!?

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 03/30/2010 - 00:28

Aw, I bought the one sans chain add on. :(

Is there a place where I can get the add on?

Lessons Learned

Comment by Alex (not verified) Tue, 03/30/2010 - 23:42

This is why you need to check the updates folks. If I had checked this post when it came out I would have been at I-Con this weekend. Fail....I turned down a weekend pass....

:) It was awesome to see the

Comment by DevC. (not verified) Sat, 04/03/2010 - 20:16

:) It was awesome to see the booth, I felt like a total moron when I stood there with a credit card....Next time, I'll bring cash. Or better yet just hop over to the store now.

Coffee table!

Comment by JET73L (not verified) Wed, 09/14/2011 - 22:21

Coffee table.

I like coffee tables. I have one, which is old, simplistic, and fairly weak. My immediate family has one, and it is more complex and IKEA-ish, but it is under a python tank.