Now we remember those bygone days

Now we remember those bygone days

Tue, 03/30/2010 - 16:31 by Ananth in response to tales of landlords past

Mort was the landlord in Rochester, and he was an odd guy. If he was an action figure, he'd come with a bottle in a brown paper bag, a cigarette, and spackle, and if you pushed the button on his back he'd say one of his Mort-isms, in the voice of Watto (the little flying scrap dealer in Phantom Menace). There were a lot! You'll probably see more Spacklehaus memoirs in the near future - we talked about living there during one of our panels at I-Con, and it brought everything (hilariously) back.

Speaking of which, thanks for coming to see us at I-Con! We got to meet some of you, and three of you brought us gifts - a dinosaur book, a cat toy, catnip, and Starbucks instant coffee for Yuko. Thanks so much guys!! We had a great time there and we'll (hopefully) be there next year. Thank you Matt Stingone for being the awesome Comics track leader, thanks Mookie and Alyssa for showing us the I-Con ropes, and thanks to Mookie's best friend Dave and his wife Jenny, who both graciously allowed us to stay in their home during our visit. If you pop over to Mookie's site you can catch some pictures of the weekend!

Some new stuff was added to the store last week! Basilisk totes and Maw keychains, you can click the banner on the sidebar or click here to check 'em out! That's all, see you Thursday!

Comments

After looking at the ICON

Comment by Rusty (not verified) Tue, 03/30/2010 - 16:40

After looking at the ICON pictures that were on Mookie's website, I noticed Ananth has a striking resemblance to Dr. Mohinder Suresh from the show Heroes: http://www.universal-playback.com/assets/images/0009/2272/heroes-sendhil... or at least his face does!

So ..., did John step into

Comment by Naghan (not verified) Tue, 03/30/2010 - 16:41

So ...,
did John step into his "office"?
I was taught, to NOT step into someone "office".
I sure hope your current landlord is less ... interesting.

Only if there's candy in his

Comment by Samm Neiland (not verified) Tue, 03/30/2010 - 16:48

Only if there's candy in his office... how can it be bad if he has candy? :o

Yeah. Especially when bear

Comment by Dodo (not verified) Tue, 03/30/2010 - 18:57

Yeah. Especially when bear offers you candy. :D

Rite of Passage

Comment by Joe D. (not verified) Tue, 03/30/2010 - 16:48

Everyone has to live in a sketchy house with an even sketchier landlord at one point in their life. Builds character!

will you guys be at a-kon

Comment by Spizzy (not verified) Tue, 03/30/2010 - 17:02

will you guys be at a-kon this year? I saw you briefly last year but I was shy and never really came by

He always smelled like

Comment by Rachelle (not verified) Tue, 03/30/2010 - 17:07

He always smelled like cigarettes and old chili to me.

also: photographic proof you

Comment by Spizzy (not verified) Tue, 03/30/2010 - 17:08

also: photographic proof you do have eyes!

he DOES have eyes!

Comment by Imani (not verified) Wed, 03/31/2010 - 10:17

I thought i was the only one that noticed. Haha.

I-Con

Comment by Ceiling Man (not verified) Tue, 03/30/2010 - 17:20

I saw you guys walking by while I was "Fake-Volunteering" at the Dealer's Rooms Going-Up-Stairs, hope to see you there next year. :)

I-CON

Comment by Matt Stingone (not verified) Tue, 03/30/2010 - 18:45

Thank you for being Awesome guests. i look forward to seeing you again next year

I can't wait for the Mort

Comment by Valis_kr3 (not verified) Tue, 03/30/2010 - 21:22

I can't wait for the Mort action figure to hit the stores.

He reminds me of Yoda...Why

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 03/30/2010 - 21:25

He reminds me of Yoda...Why does he remind me of Yoda?

Mooorrrtt....

Comment by Hikki536 (not verified) Tue, 03/30/2010 - 21:40

Ehh... I don't know if having a landlord like him is a good thing or a bad thing.

Hm... technically, I can survive in crap shack. So, as long as the rent isn't CRAZY HIGH, that should be okay.

My top priority is that I can afford it. The rest I can figure something out.

It puts hair on your chest!

Comment by Joe (not verified) Tue, 03/30/2010 - 22:16

Creepy landlords build character!

rad comics

Comment by Emily (not verified) Tue, 03/30/2010 - 23:30

I just spent an uneventful morning at my internship reading through all your comics so you are plus one fan, now!
Also Mort reminds me of my old boss/across-the-street-neighbor, minus the alcoholism, and plus a featherless cockatiel who rode around on his shoulder and hated everyone. Weird, cranky older guys can be so endearing.

i thought it would be spacklehaus three

Comment by Iggy (not verified) Tue, 03/30/2010 - 23:36

just pointing it out :3
i think you missed three.. or I'm slightly dyslexic.

also. creepy and/or odd landlords are the best. they make awkward shenanigans that make great stories :3

Naw, the third one is right

Comment by Ananth Tue, 03/30/2010 - 23:42

Naw, the third one is right here!

heh how did i miss that :(

Comment by iggy (not verified) Wed, 03/31/2010 - 19:17

heh how did i miss that :(

Mort's office.

Comment by M3rcd (not verified) Wed, 03/31/2010 - 02:14

I wonder when in Mort's office, did John and Mort exchange John/Mort - isms

That's my dad.

Comment by Sam2009 (not verified) Wed, 03/31/2010 - 07:03

That's my dad.

Comment by Aido Wed, 03/31/2010 - 12:31

Your dad wasn't a very good landlord.

YES! SPACKLEHAUS! I WANT

Comment by orcishincubus (not verified) Wed, 03/31/2010 - 12:58

SPACKLEHAUS!

I WANT MOOOOOORE!

iCon29

Comment by inkSecret (not verified) Wed, 03/31/2010 - 13:49

I remember you guys talking about this.

Thank you so much for having the panel at iCon so much. I didn't even know that you guys were going to be there, but it was a really good panel (both)[Manga for people who Hate Manga] and [JohnnyWander.com]

A lot of panels ended up being fairly retarded, but you guys are much more personable and intelligent. I had the best experience sitting in with you guys both times.

I'm so glad we could oblige!

Comment by Ananth Thu, 04/01/2010 - 01:18

I'm so glad we could oblige! Next year we're going to plan some panels a little more in advance with Mookie, too. :)

Run, John! RUN!

Comment by Fraoch (not verified) Wed, 03/31/2010 - 14:10

Reminds me of my old landlady. A few weeks before I moved out, she called up my roommates and me absolutely convinced that one of her tenants was a powerful warlock that was putting curses on her. She wanted us to drive by his apartment and try to spy on him.
I wish I was kidding.

OMIGOD

Comment by Lupus Draconis (not verified) Wed, 03/31/2010 - 14:14

ANANTH HAS EYES WHAT IS THIS

False Alarm

Comment by Joe (not verified) Wed, 03/31/2010 - 18:20

No, no, it's just a trick of the light. It's gotta be.

This is one of the reasons I don't go to cons. I think my head would explode if I were to find out firsthand that Ananth actually has a top half to his face.

Even before you said Mort

Comment by Geoff B (not verified) Thu, 04/01/2010 - 09:43

Even before you said Mort sounded like Watto, I knew.

lurvs yoo

Comment by Anzeti (not verified) Thu, 04/01/2010 - 10:09

I don't know if you guys get enough how truly fantabulously awesome you are. I am officially a creepy stalker. When you update it totally makes my day, even if it's just to say something inane. I will stop gushing now before I embarrass myself. Oh, wait...

looking at that mort guy

Comment by tsinik (not verified) Thu, 04/01/2010 - 12:06

now I know that I'm not the worst landlord in world :)

I knew it

Comment by Razor (not verified) Thu, 04/01/2010 - 13:25

Even before you said so, I heard him in Watto's voice. XD

Reminds me of an old T-shirt I saw once:

A guy lights up a cigarette in front of a dog.

Man: Mind if I smoke?

Dog: Mind if I fart?

For some reason, I hear that in the voice of Brian Griffin now. 0_o

Watto Indeed

Comment by AlexP (not verified) Fri, 04/02/2010 - 00:20

I'm not sure whether it was the art or the writing, but I read his lines with Watto's voice before I read the post. Impressive work, guys.

Kudos on the depiction of

Comment by LT (not verified) Sat, 04/03/2010 - 10:56

Kudos on the depiction of his accent, as I'd figured out how it should sound before reading the blog post.

Silly comic :3

Comment by Fonsay (not verified) Thu, 11/22/2012 - 16:13

You can't have Spacklehaus Memoirs #4 if you haven't done #2 and #3 yet, you silly goose! :3