Stay on your toes

Stay on your toes

Thu, 04/01/2010 - 14:18 by Ananth in response to nothing some epoxy won't fix

It's April Fools day, which means you gotta keep on your toes. Believe nothing! We had something planned for weeks, but sometimes work keeps you busy. Next year, next year.

Mike actually got up bright and early this morning so he could prank everyone he knows - he's already tried to get me twice, and ... well, I'll save it for a comic. Suffice to say he's been hard at work ...

MoCCA is coming up! We won't have a table, but we'll certainly be walking around and we'll likely have some stickers to give away if you catch us there. More details on that as they come. And it looks like our table at SPX is confirmed! SPX was the first small press show I ever went to, so it'll be nice to finally get behind a table. We're going to be sharing with Jamie Noguchi! Sweet.

Also, it's Nemu Nemu's fourth anniversary! Happy anniversary, guys!

I'm not sure I mentioned this, but we recently picked up the boardgame Arkham Horror. Oh man, it's so good!

Comments

I hope that was a fake Rook!

Comment by Kitsy (not verified) Thu, 04/01/2010 - 14:41

I hope that was a fake Rook! O_O!

Aw, thanks for the well wishes! :D

A table at SPX sounds cool and all...

Comment by Confused (not verified) Thu, 04/01/2010 - 15:03

.. however I don't get what's so concerning about it. =\

In either case, I shall be investigating the awesomeness of this "Arkham Horror". ;3

I meant confirmed, sorry!

Comment by Ananth Thu, 04/01/2010 - 15:10

I meant confirmed, sorry! Corrected.

Indeedy!!

Comment by Jamie Noguchi (not verified) Fri, 04/02/2010 - 09:14

SPX will be insanely awesome!!!

I wouldn't even joke about

Comment by firstother (not verified) Thu, 04/01/2010 - 15:12

I wouldn't even joke about my cat doing that to my roommates' stuff, cause I know it's likely going to happen one day. >_>

Nooooooooo! Oh, wait. Whew!

Comment by John Sabotta (not verified) Thu, 04/01/2010 - 15:23

Nooooooooo!

Oh, wait. Whew!

Aaaah, scary face!!

Comment by Matt B. (not verified) Thu, 04/01/2010 - 15:47

Panel 2 might be my favorite JW panel thus far.

Yet another April Fool's casualty

Comment by Fraoch (not verified) Thu, 04/01/2010 - 16:04

Don't worry though. If his head pops off that easily it should pop back on right? RIGHT?!
I've been prank-free so far, aside from WoW's EPEEN system that gave me some lols. Here's hoping I'm safe for today...

arkham horror!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 04/01/2010 - 17:26

arkham horror! <3

motorcycle+map+stack of clue tokens = winnage

re: arkham horror

Comment by Steve (not verified) Fri, 04/02/2010 - 16:53

Getting deputized > motorcycle+map+stack of clue tokens

Arkham Horror

Comment by Geekthras (not verified) Thu, 04/01/2010 - 18:51

Which version? The old awesome one or the new over-complicated one?

Because the Northeast is drenched...

Comment by Callmeshirlie (not verified) Thu, 04/01/2010 - 19:59

and our school is next to a river, some years we'll have the occasional flood day. So...

I was April Fooled before I was even out of the shower... by text.
You know people are SERIOUS about this holiday. :)

Irony?

Comment by Softspoken (not verified) Thu, 04/01/2010 - 21:47

It seems that Yuko is the only person that has ever disliked Rook.

Can't say I'm different.

Comment by Pimp Chickens (not verified) Thu, 04/01/2010 - 22:18

Yuko really seems to have a love/hate relationship with cats.

Can't say I'm any different, though.

Poor cat and horror

Comment by Walter (not verified) Fri, 04/02/2010 - 00:27

Sadly cats will do that, although I doubt their heads pop off that easily. Played an old version and the new version of Arkham horror and have yet to actually finish a game. It's one of those games that can easily eat up an entire Saturday.

"pranks" I've endured today...

Comment by Bruceski (not verified) Fri, 04/02/2010 - 01:26

--fake schedule for tonight's WoW raid (when we've pre-empted for odd things before)
--LJ meetup not-really-moved to today
--firecrackers outside the door
--phone call from an unlisted number that got me an airhorn in the ear, no clue who did this as all of my friends deny it (and have listed numbers)
--A fake flat tire help request, fortunately the person fessed up when I called them on it, instead of driving all the way out there to find nobody.

I hate this day...

Arkham Horror expansions

Comment by Dante32 (not verified) Fri, 04/02/2010 - 07:57

There are currently 3 major expansions and 3(?) small expansions. The big ones bring a pricey $40 price tag and the small ones are $20-$25. If you do pick up any expansions, make sure you separate everything back out again because some of the items, experiences, etc. are really designed for the mood of that particular expansion and if you combine it with multiple expansions it really dilutes any threat you receive from the base game. Buy the expansions when the base game gets to be too easy for you. I'd recommend the Dunwich Horror first because a lot of the game mechanics that it introduces are used in further expansions, plus it has a really nasty mechanic behind it. Kingsport expansion has some good spells and items, but overall is not that good. The newest one, Innsmouth, should only be undertaken if you feel like you need a whole new world of pain and frustration. It is HARD, exceptionally hard, we're talking forget closing portals and just gear up for the inevitable boss fight hard. It introduces a whole bunch of new ways to be devoured, so have fun. The small expansions are okay, the most potent of which is the King in Yellow, but you should only play with a small expansion and the base game. Think of it as horseradish on top of roast beef, a nice garnish that subtle alters the flavor of the experience.

That's my advice at least, I've been playing and loving the game for years now, and despite its drain on my wallet and the immense amount of time it takes to set up I would highly recommend it to anyone.

it worked!

Comment by JaguarJax (not verified) Fri, 04/02/2010 - 09:11

I played Arkham Horror once ... I was a first-time player in an experienced group who were pretty familiar with the intricacies of the game, so I was feeling pretty lost from time to time.

my shining moment came when I used an 'enchant' spell on a stick of dynamite, which maybe seemed like a waste at first. but then everyone paused, thought about it, & started cracking up when they realized I had created the holy hand grenade ... which I used to blow up a monster, & a good time was had by all :)

Moments of Arkham Horror Glory/Ridiculous

Comment by lady rae (not verified) Fri, 04/02/2010 - 16:08

~ I was pulled to R'lyeh and came out with a motorcycle and a machine gun*
~ I fell down the stairs and got the consumption
~ Yog-Sothoth with a head cold
~ Azathoth ate my dog

* this has been several years removed, but i went in something and came out on a motorcycle, guns blazing

SPX.

Comment by Annie (not verified) Fri, 04/02/2010 - 22:04

I think I'm crashing some friends' table at SPX with my (currently nonexistent) wares too. You know what this means.

TABLE WARS (mostly consisting of me yelling at you guys from across the convention floor).

SVA, Cartoon Allies!

Comment by Allison Strejlau (not verified) Sat, 04/03/2010 - 00:16

Yay, I'll be at MoCCA! I'm actually co-in charge of the SVA booth right at the entrance, you won't be able to miss it. I've been a huge fan of your work since the beginning of *gasp* Fallen, but I know I suck and never comment and make myself known and I'm sorry for that! But yes, it would be wonderful to meet you and give you some of my comics, and possibly buy whatever JW merch ya have on you! lol :D

<3 Allison

RE: SVA etc etc

Comment by Brea T-M (not verified) Tue, 04/06/2010 - 07:39

I'm an SVA allumni myself, and I hope to attend MoCCA as well. :) Was there any further plans for a JW nyc meetup? I saw a mention about it awhile back and haven't seen anything since.

It seems that, according to

Comment by MuchJokes (not verified) Sat, 04/03/2010 - 13:53

It seems that, according to this strip, either Yuko is REALLY short or Rook is INCREDIBLY tall.

Mike's Favorite Day

Comment by Kristina (not verified) Sun, 04/04/2010 - 21:34

He got me twice April's fools day. Looking forward to see what he tried to do to you.

Hahaha, he walked to the

Comment by Ananth Tue, 04/06/2010 - 08:52

Hahaha, he walked to the window in the living room and said, "Man, that chalk outline is still out there." But he got me too many times in the past - I knew!!

We're going to do a whole comic about Mike's April Fool's pranks, there were too many not to!!