Ugh! Don't eat it!

Ugh! Don't eat it!

Tue, 04/06/2010 - 09:24 by Ananth in response to because we sure weren't going to eat them

Quick note for overseas readers, just in case - a George Foreman is essentially a grill.

This actually dates back to Easter in Rockville, MD - all the easter bunnies were on super sale, especially the Palmer white chocolate flavored bunny. Wait. White Chocolate Flavored? Uh Oh. A quick look at the ingredients reveals,

"Sugar, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Palm Kernel Oil and/or Palm Oil), Whey, Lactose, Skim Milk, Soy Lecithin, Vanillin, Artificial Colors (Blue #1, Blue #2, Red #40, Yellow #5, Yellow #6 & Red #3). May contain Peanuts/Nuts.”

Reading this scathing review about the regular chocolate version reveals that cocoa is fourth down the list of ingredients - even in the chocolate version, it's in there for color rather than flavor. I'm making a face just thinking about it.

Actually, that's not the grossest thing we melted - check out Quax. Full title: Quax Hollow Milk Flavored. Here's the ingredients,

"Sugar, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Palm Kernel and/or Palm Oil), Whey, Lactose, Skim Milk, Soy Lecithin, Colors (Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Blue 1, Blue 2, Red 40 & Red 3), Vanillin."

They're really shiny out of the box - they look more like a plastic rubber ducky than something edible, and when they melt down they turn white and then blacken and it's really just terrible.

I should qualify all this by saying, John wanted to test shooting high-speed footage with his new hi-def camera. Man, that was a weird day.

Comments

Why did you get white chocolate in the first place?

Comment by Jedifreak (not verified) Tue, 04/06/2010 - 09:36

It's pretty disgusting. However, I like the way you guys wonder what will happen, then just do it.

I can't remember - maybe we

Comment by Ananth Wed, 04/07/2010 - 00:07

I can't remember - maybe we got them in baskets? Truly a mystery.

With the crazy excitement

Comment by MuchLove (not verified) Tue, 04/06/2010 - 09:36

With the crazy excitement that is the second panel, I feel like "Put them into the George Foreman" is a common solution for you guys.

Grilled cheese? George Foreman.
Taxes? George Foreman.
Corpse under the floorboards? George Foreman.

I make grilled cheese in my

Comment by Funky (not verified) Tue, 04/06/2010 - 09:43

I make grilled cheese in my George Foreman.
It always comes out poorly but it works.

Eww

Comment by Nena (not verified) Tue, 04/06/2010 - 09:45

I wonder who had to clean that off.

Not it! I only buy chocolate

Comment by Fraoch (not verified) Wed, 04/07/2010 - 00:03

Not it!
I only buy chocolate from recognizable companies. Anything that says 'chocolate FLAVORED' is to be avoided like the plague :P

Well, white chocolate hasn't

Comment by Thaily (not verified) Tue, 04/06/2010 - 09:53

Well, white chocolate hasn't actually been deemed to be chocolate because it's made with cocoa butter rather than cocoa.

That said, this makes me want to get a George Foreman grill.

George Foreman grills are

Comment by Ananth Wed, 04/07/2010 - 00:08

George Foreman grills are the most useful! Veggie burgers, hamburgers, grilled veggies, grilled cheese, the list goes forever.

this is exactly what I

Comment by Korbl (not verified) Wed, 07/07/2010 - 04:46

this is exactly what I opened comments to say...
damn.

Hollow Milk?

Comment by Andrew (not verified) Tue, 04/06/2010 - 09:54

I didn't think there was such a thing as Hollow Milk Flavored. ;P Makes me even more glad that the only candy I get are the Cadbury Eggs.

And Vanillin? They couldn't even put regular Vanilla in there? What is that, some sort of cross between vanilla and penicillin?

Vanillin is the compound

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 04/06/2010 - 11:17

Vanillin is the compound that makes vanilla taste like vanilla.

Justice League, mobilize!

Comment by Cassie-Jo (not verified) Wed, 04/07/2010 - 17:44

Vanillin sounds like an evil super villain. THE NEFARIOUS VANILLIN.

But like, not a very good super villain.

Palm oil URGH!

Comment by Alexie (not verified) Tue, 04/06/2010 - 10:02

URGH! PALM OIL! That shit causes heart disease!
I am a food technology/Nutrition student and I was just learning about that in my Lipids class.
Palm oil is like the worst WORST oil you can use. Full of saturated fatty acids.

*nods*

Also, I finished reading the

Comment by Alexie (not verified) Tue, 04/06/2010 - 10:05

Also, I finished reading the rest of your post. I skipped straight down to a comment when I saw palm oil.

They are shiny because they 'Temper' the chocolate. This is where they heat up and cool down the chocolate a lot and I think it forms fat crystals on the surface of the chocolate.

Hence the reason why it is SHINY is because of the fat!
*Shudders*

actually, you can only

Comment by Denise (not verified) Tue, 04/06/2010 - 13:33

actually, you can only temper couverture (chocolate that has cocoa butter). Tempering chocolate is a process where you melt and cool the chocolate to certain temperatures in order to control the cristallization of the cocoa butter and reach a point where all the crystals are the same type (of the sixs different types, only the fifth works perfectly). Basically, you melt it (113 °F), then you cool a part of it (81 °F), and then you mix it with the rest to reach a temperature in the middle (88 °F). At this temperature, the food crystals set and they give the glossy, shiny look of great tempered chocolate.

Shiny

Comment by SkyeBoy (not verified) Wed, 04/07/2010 - 11:10

You were almost there. Tempering does allow the fats already in the chocolate to all form a stable crystal structure. This allows the surface to be very smooth and regular, especially when it is molded.

wow

Comment by paul (selune) (not verified) Wed, 04/07/2010 - 15:20

WOW some of you lot are knowlageable about chocolate :S i might try this later though you know - I got one of those hideous 'chocolate flavored' egg/duck things here somewhere and a george forman downstairs.... mum might kill me though....

^_____________________^ evil thoughts....

xx

Ask your "lipids class"

Comment by Bob (not verified) Wed, 04/07/2010 - 18:08

Ask your "lipids class" teacher about cocoa butter. At around 60% saturated fats, it actually has a HIGHER percentage of saturated fatty acids than palm oil (about 60%) does.

@_@

Comment by Skie (not verified) Tue, 04/06/2010 - 10:03

New internet videos, courtesy of Johnny Wander:
"You've seen Will it Blend, right? Now it's time for... WILL IT MELT?!"
Gbllloorppppp.
"Oh god it smells awful!"
"It's leaking everywhere!"
"Oh god why is it on fire?!"
"I can't look away!"
"Call the police, we've done something terrible!"
"Where are we going to hide the evidence?!"

...and then that would be the last we heard of you.
I do hope this melting of things isn't a regular occurrence.

Okay, I'm convinced you guys

Comment by Robert V Aldrich (not verified) Tue, 04/06/2010 - 10:12

Okay, I'm convinced you guys are less artists and more supervillains-in-training.

Nah...

Comment by Hikki536 (not verified) Wed, 04/07/2010 - 00:03

They're not supervillains in training. Supervillains would have enjoyed the entire torture process through and through without getting grossed out.

I can neither confirm or

Comment by Ananth Wed, 04/07/2010 - 00:11

I can neither confirm or deny!!

"Do you mind.."

Comment by Wulfwood (not verified) Tue, 04/06/2010 - 10:13

"..If I bring the Ex-Chubby Boxer George Foreman in here so we can put some chocolate on him?"

"Frankly, I think you're going to far >:("

A very good dark chocolate

Comment by Denise (not verified) Tue, 04/06/2010 - 10:21

A very good dark chocolate (what we pastry chefs call couverture) has cocoa butter and cocoa solids, in different percentages (depends on the manufacturer). The cocoa butter melts at 93.4 °F, which is a couple degrees below the temp in your mouth, hence, it melts in your mouth!
The review misses the worst about this kind of chocolate flavored concoctions... the cocoa is there for color and a little bit for flavor, but the worst part is that they replace the cocoa butter with Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, and that one (although it increses the shelf life) melts at a higher point, so it doesn't really melt in your mouth, and you end up feeling like there's something stuck in the roof of your mouth

You guys used to live in

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 04/06/2010 - 10:49

You guys used to live in Rockville? Sweet! That's where I live. o:

Yeah, I don't really eat Easter chocolate. I tried one when I was eight, and the taste was DISGUSTING. So I always tell my friends to never get me any kind of holiday chocolate in the shape of an animal. /shiver/

I was born and raised in

Comment by Ananth Wed, 04/07/2010 - 00:13

I was born and raised in Silver Spring! ;)

Wait, you guys shot it with

Comment by tb (not verified) Tue, 04/06/2010 - 11:10

Wait, you guys shot it with a high speed camera? Hahaha how'd that come out?

There's actually a short

Comment by Kai (not verified) Tue, 04/06/2010 - 11:56

There's actually a short artistic film that exclusively features chocolate bunnies being melted in different ways. It's somewhere between hilarious and disturbing.

You can watch it here, if you dare. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-SZYZLfZ7E

Ah good, I was about to post

Comment by Archie (not verified) Wed, 04/07/2010 - 07:17

Ah good, I was about to post a link to that video.
I think it's fantastic, but whoever thought that was suitable for a preschool audience is more than a little messed up.

AUGH, yeah, the "chocolate"

Comment by Chelsea (not verified) Tue, 04/06/2010 - 12:09

AUGH, yeah, the "chocolate" that's sold in a lot of places here is jut vile! DX I got spoiled on Japanese chocolates when I lived there, and can't eat a lot of the American stuff anymore. I'm sure my body thanks me. :3

You guys should check out this awesome (and strangely creepy) short film someone made of Easter bunnies melting in various ways: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-SZYZLfZ7E It's really awesome, and I love the song.

If you're saying "cheapo

Comment by Bob (not verified) Wed, 04/07/2010 - 17:43

If you're saying "cheapo chocolate in Japan is better than cheapo chocolate in the US," I might believe that. If you're saying "you can't get good chocolate in the US that isn't imported," that's simply incorrect.

Godiva, for example, is made in Pennsylvania for the domestic market... as is Dove (by Mars) and Cadbury's (by Hershey). Ghirardelli's was founded in California and is still made there despite now being owned by a Turkish corporation.

stuff like your white easter

Comment by DreamingApe (not verified) Tue, 04/06/2010 - 12:35

stuff like your white easter bunny isn't legally allowed to be called chocolate in the netherlands, fyi.

The Netherlands is doing it

Comment by Ananth Wed, 04/07/2010 - 00:13

The Netherlands is doing it so, so right.

hey we invented modern

Comment by DreamingApe (not verified) Wed, 04/07/2010 - 01:02

hey we invented modern chocolate making with this machine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conche

we have some pride. :)

sorry, linked to the wrong

Comment by DreamingApe (not verified) Wed, 04/07/2010 - 01:10

sorry, linked to the wrong article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coenraad_Johannes_van_Houten

Easter Doom!

Comment by Jamie Noguchi (not verified) Tue, 04/06/2010 - 12:39

I remember that shit! It was hysterical and yet slightly creepy. Did John ever put that footage up anywhere? It was seriously gross and awesome and gross.

Quax

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 04/06/2010 - 12:59

I totally have a Quax sitting on my counter but I haven't been able to bring myself to eat it yet.

Oh No!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 04/06/2010 - 13:10

Palm oil is like the devil man.

silly 3rd world countries cut down jungles to grow that crap

anyways yes it was the proper way to see those nasty bunnies off

I've got a couple of those,

Comment by Jaki (not verified) Tue, 04/06/2010 - 13:44

I've got a couple of those, now I am looking forward to sampling them MMMMMMMM

I think you'd have better

Comment by Samm Neiland (not verified) Tue, 04/06/2010 - 14:31

I think you'd have better luck with melting a Cadbury Egg. Yeah, they generally regarded as tasting better, but at least that way you'd get a neato swirl of chocolate, cream and caramel colors melting.

Just don't use peeps... those are for the microwave only :o

Just from the way John was

Comment by Spizzy (not verified) Tue, 04/06/2010 - 14:52

Just from the way John was drawn in the first panel I expected another 'burning the apartment down' comic XD gross melting bunnies is just as fun, though.

Hah! Never thought I'd see

Comment by Lissie (not verified) Tue, 04/06/2010 - 15:49

Hah! Never thought I'd see Johnny Wander link to one of my favorite blogs.

Regardless, Palmer makes disgusting chocolate with horrible ingredients. What sucks the worst though, is that people BUY them because they're cheap, and they don't realize they're giving kids horrible chocolate, both in taste and ingredients. Palm oil? REALLY?

Sorry I got pretty passionate there. I-I like chocolate.

Not-Chocolate

Comment by Razor (not verified) Tue, 04/06/2010 - 17:35

I confess I've eaten various types of not-chocolate in desperation (a coworker often goes to the dollar store to fill their candy jar) but I always end up asking myself, "Why?? WHYY????"

Then I eat something like Sees (www.sees.com) and wonder why in the world I would ever eat any other type of chocolate? I used to work at Sees and man, that stuff was GOOD. They allow their employees to sample in order to cut down on theft (as well as to know how to tell people about the candy).

The good thing is that after about a week of a piece here and a piece there, you kind of go, "Eh, whatever." The SMELL though. Good grief. Nothing like it. *drool*

Yow, those look good. I love

Comment by Ananth Wed, 04/07/2010 - 00:14

Yow, those look good. I love dark chocolate with almonds, and that's all of the chocolate in the screenshot. Yeesh.

Those George Foreman Grill

Comment by Sprinkles ☠! (not verified) Tue, 04/06/2010 - 19:10

Those George Foreman Grill look like a pain to clean. One of my old roomies actually gave me his just so he'd never have to clean it again. I've yet to use it.

There's a trick - clean them

Comment by Ananth Wed, 04/07/2010 - 00:16

There's a trick - clean them while they're hot! If you take a paper towel, you'll find the surface is hot enough that everything skims right off. I rarely spend more than a minute cleaning off the Foreman.

True! and it especially

Comment by lanysmiles (not verified) Wed, 04/07/2010 - 03:53

True! and it especially applies for melted cheese!

I dunno what I'd do without George in my life! My bf would never get meat otherwise :D

I got a bunch of the nasty

Comment by smed (not verified) Tue, 04/06/2010 - 21:14

I got a bunch of the nasty peeps for Easter and made s'mores out of them, i bet you could combine the bunnies with the peeps for some really disturbing camp fire goodness.

A friend of mine got one of

Comment by Geoff B (not verified) Tue, 04/06/2010 - 21:26

A friend of mine got one of those Chocolate Bunnies for easter last year. I actually couldn't even bring myself to try it - it's eyes were freaking me out too much.

That reminds me...

Comment by Ramiel (not verified) Wed, 04/07/2010 - 00:00

Have any of you tried using the George Foreman grill on peppers?