Hungry hungry hippos

Hungry hungry hippos

Thu, 04/15/2010 - 16:30 by Ananth in response to that damned cat

Except a ... cat ... maybe I should change the title.

Actually, Rook is sitting here complaining that he needs to be fed - buddy, the comic's about you! You should be excited! N-no?

(20 minutes later)

Rook has a tendency to beg for food, and our original method was to offer it to him. Most cats dislike certain smells or tastes or temperatures, and we figured he'd just take a pass and then we wouldn't have to deal with it. Nope ... Rook is a garbage disposal and will eat just about anything we put in front of him. We're going to have to enroll him in a kitty spin class or something.

These are some sketches Yuko did while we were at the Natural History Museum - we had some problems uploading yesterday, sorry!

Here's Deinonychus,

Some more,

Pretty cool! Here's some more,

A reminder - these are the conventions we're doing in the next couple of weeks,

Tora-con in Rochester, NY (April 24-25)
ROFLcon in Cambridge, MA (April 30-May 1)
TCAF in Toronto, Ontario, Canada (May 8-9)

We'll be bringing our merch ... Hope to see you there! Have a great weekend!

Comments

Yowza

Comment by Joe D. (not verified) Thu, 04/15/2010 - 16:48

Such a vicious pose there for the "Flies" panel.

Yeah

Comment by Lancer2010 (not verified) Thu, 04/15/2010 - 18:03

I completely agree, the one with flies almost looks like if you were to put a skyscraper beside him he'd look like Godzilla.

Me again

Comment by Joe D. (not verified) Tue, 04/20/2010 - 12:21

And is that a giant ground sloth in the final sketch page? YESSSSS

We have the same problem

Comment by Mikaela K (not verified) Thu, 04/15/2010 - 17:08

We have the same problem with a cat at our house, he'll eat everything while his 'brother' is extremely picky. It makes it very hard to have a counter top with out kitty prints or fur on it when he keep scoping it out for possible food.

We've made sure he stays off

Comment by Ananth Thu, 04/15/2010 - 20:59

We've made sure he stays off the countertops, but it doesn't stop him from begging. Cat's got a pair of lungs on him.

The cat probably goes for

Comment by Cowdog (not verified) Tue, 04/20/2010 - 01:22

The cat probably goes for all the high fructose corn syrup they put in everything these days.

hehe

Comment by spira (not verified) Thu, 04/15/2010 - 17:10

rooks so cute :] he is gonna grow up to be SO fat though if he keeps eating everything... maybe hell grow out of it?

also those sketches are really cool how long did you spend on the skelington ones? theyd have taken me ages!!

epic post guys xx

Unfortunately, I don't think

Comment by Aido Thu, 04/15/2010 - 17:16

Unfortunately, I don't think he'll grow out of it-- he's a middle-aged cat!  From what the shelter told us, he's about 5 years old. XD

The skeleton sketches were just quick gesture sketches, we didn't have very long in the museum before Aaron had to leave, so I maybe took a minute or so on each. :D

Thanks! :D

My cat and her brother

Comment by Jimmy (not verified) Thu, 04/15/2010 - 17:29

My cat and her brother were\are the same, they worked out a means of attempted distraction, one is on the floor trying to gain attention as the other snuck up from the side to get at the plate or food item of the hour. It rarely worked, but it was one of the few times they worked together.

Now the brother attempts more solo means of sneakery. Usually to a flick on the nose.

Awesome cat

Comment by pixiekhatt (not verified) Thu, 04/15/2010 - 17:32

I've had cats that eat odd things, but never so much variety in one cat! My mom told me of a cat she had (named Peanut for one of the things he first ate) that would eat just about anything, but from the other stories she told me of him, I believe he was a few screws loose in the head. Rook, on the other hand, just appears to be made of pure awesomeness. ^_^

Haha, my cat is the same

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 04/15/2010 - 17:40

Haha, my cat is the same way. I've seen her eat broccoli, bits of pizza pocket, ranch dressing, dip, doritos... She won't leave me alone when I try to eat toast with cheese whiz.

Yay garbage disposal cats.

Kitty vacuum

Comment by Fraoch (not verified) Sat, 04/17/2010 - 16:28

Mine does that too. Whenever my mom or I drop food on the floor cooking dinner we call him over and he hoovers it up :)
Won't eat fish though...

It's a stray cat thing....

Comment by SpinCity (not verified) Thu, 04/15/2010 - 17:40

At least that's what I'm guessing. When I took in a feral kitten he was always after human food and whatever went in the garbage. Our other cat really had no interest and preferred regular cat food and treats. I guess fending for yourself you learn to eat what you can to stay alive.

Hm

Comment by Aido Thu, 04/15/2010 - 21:28

I don't think Rook was ever a stray-- he doesn't have the disposition for it.  Our running theory is that he belonged to a cat hoarder who either died or had to give up her animals (I think it was a lady)-- he was dropped off at the shelter in a box with 17 other cats.  Also, he practically inhales food, which leads us to believe that he had to compete with other cats to be able to eat.

BUT HONESTLY, what I believe is that he is a little boy, cursed to live in the body of a cat.  But his life is pretty easy, so it's a pretty crappy curse.

I thought my feral rescue

Comment by Spizzy (not verified) Fri, 04/16/2010 - 14:13

I thought my feral rescue cat would be a garbage disposal considering being a stray and all, but he only eats his cat food. Cats are just weird

Haha, Rook is so cute! These

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 04/15/2010 - 18:01

Haha, Rook is so cute! These sketches look awesome, Yuko. :D

Conventions and dogs

Comment by Stephanie (not verified) Thu, 04/15/2010 - 18:20

You guys live in the north, huh. Ever gone to any southern conventions?

Oh, and my dog is pretty much just like that. He will eat anything unless it's green XD He won't eat ANY vegetables, even if it looks like something else. He's an idiot, but it's like he KNOWS.

I've done a few - MTAC and

Comment by Ananth Thu, 04/15/2010 - 21:02

I've done a few - MTAC and A-Kon come to mind!

A-kon!!!

Comment by Stephanie (not verified) Thu, 04/15/2010 - 21:18

Are you guys planning on going this year? :D That's the one I had in mind. If there was a Johnny Wander table I'd definitely buy stuff, and even if there wasn't it would be fun to meet you guys :)

I don't think we'll be

Comment by Ananth Fri, 04/16/2010 - 14:49

I don't think we'll be there, but things can always change - we'll announce it on the site!

But What if Rook wants to be Like Garfield?

Comment by Michael (not verified) Thu, 04/15/2010 - 18:28

My dog has the same disposition, if he can eat it, he'll at least try and taste it.

Yuko originally wanted to go

Comment by Ananth Thu, 04/15/2010 - 21:03

Yuko originally wanted to go for a Garfield punchline, but so strong is my dislike for Garfield that I vetoed.

Omnivore? or Cat-vacuum?

Comment by Razor (not verified) Thu, 04/15/2010 - 18:32

I can understand most of the other stuff (although soy sauce and marinara sauce sort of boggle me) but COFFEE GROUNDS? =P And rice??

Well, the other night my mom's black cat tried to lick the ranch dressing from my plate after I finished my chicken strips. So maybe it's a black cat thing. =P

What Razor said.

Comment by reynard61 (not verified) Thu, 04/15/2010 - 18:49

Cats like meat and milk. (And anything that tastes like meat and/or milk.) But, yeah; the coffee grounds/rice/soy/miso paste/marinara* jones is kind of puzzling...

*unless it had meat or meat flavoring.

Seriously!

Comment by Aido Thu, 04/15/2010 - 21:19

I know, it's so bizarre!  I offered him plain, unseasoned tofu tonight since he was whining while I was preparing dinner.  AND HE ATE IT.

WHAT.

THIS IS NOT A CAT.

Could be he has a tapeworm.

Comment by jpic89 (not verified) Thu, 04/15/2010 - 23:31

I had a cat when I was younger who was absolutely ravenous all the time. He would actually eat our other cat's food. Good thing he couldn't make the jump onto the counter.

Another theory is he's somehow related to my friends cat. He had to stay the night at the vet's once for something. When my friend went to get him in the morning, the vet said, "Well, we're done treating your cat, but there seems to be something else wrong with him." "What's that?" "Well, he ate two cans of cat food and seems to want more." "Oh, he's back to normal then." Blank look from the vet.

I once tricked my cat into

Comment by Anna (not verified) Fri, 04/16/2010 - 11:11

I once tricked my cat into eating tofu. She was very displeased.

My brother once brought home organic cat treats, she doesn't even acknowledge it as any kind of food (in her defense, they smell like flour.)

The Fifth Taste

Comment by Razor (not verified) Wed, 04/21/2010 - 12:03

I wonder if cats can taste 'umami'--it's been called the fifth taste (the other four being sweet, salty, bitter, and sour). Soy sauce/fish sauce/Worcestershire sauce is chock full of it. It's hard to describe but you know it when you taste it. I've also heard that it's the chemical compound you get when bacteria breaks down meat (think 'aged' steaks). In ancient times, a sauce called 'garum' was made of fermented fish and considered the 'supreme condiment' (thank you Alton Brown and Wikipedia).

Would make sense, since some cats like to bring their owners dead birds and mice and such. =P

becareful

Comment by Jingseng (not verified) Thu, 04/15/2010 - 19:12

becareful, as tomato and onion are on the list of "things that can seriously harm or even kill your cat if ingested"

=x

Oh man, no worries ... we

Comment by Ananth Thu, 04/15/2010 - 21:04

Oh man, no worries ... we are super careful!

You're totally right!

Comment by Aido Thu, 04/15/2010 - 21:10

I actually went on a freak out internet information binge on Things Cats Cannot Eat when we adopted Rook.  A lot of these foods mentioned are things he has gone out of his way to acquire-- in reality, between the onion and garlic and tomato, lasagna could probably pretty badly poison a cat.  (go go Garfield!)

That's also one of the reasons that I was so taken aback when Rook went after coffee grounds.  Caffeine is SUPER bad for cats!  D:

grain of salt

Comment by Jingseng (not verified) Thu, 04/15/2010 - 23:44

yeah, i always remind people, just to be safe... the list of "do not feed" things is surprisingly large, and often includes things you see them eat in comics and stories and such. And plants -_-; Yeesh - like "lucky bamboo"... i dunno, i've found that a lot of people who have experience owning cats (ie: grew up with one) had no idea.

better safe than sorry!

that said, most places i've read garlic is bad, but one place said garlic is good... confusing!

My own cat misbehaves at night, and once got into a bag of reese peanut butter cups... i found one or two in the morning that had been gnawed on. Heartattack for me! she is, of course, fine... but chocolate is on the no no list! They are just like little babies sometimes... everything goes in the mouth until they can figure out what it is.

Is it too late to rename rook "erator" ? or "Sarlacc"? =)

really?

Comment by Spizzy (not verified) Fri, 04/16/2010 - 14:20

My b/f had a cat that would eat raw tomatoes and was fine

Agreed.. Really?

Comment by Tina Fajita (not verified) Sat, 04/17/2010 - 09:50

Maybe that's why my cat is a touch retarded in the head, but I kinda just figure that if my kitten wants something, she'll find away. She has munched on my Lucky Bamboo, but I now keep it out of her reach more for the poor plant's life than for hers as she seems completely okay with using it as a quick snack. She's had her fair share of spaghetti sauce.. ect.

I just admire your ability to juggle your life and keeping an extra hand and eye out on your cat to keep her(?) in line.

Cons

Comment by Lee (not verified) Thu, 04/15/2010 - 19:13

You guys have got to go to Otakon! I'd love to get my hands on some merch in person!

Otakon

Comment by Aido Thu, 04/15/2010 - 21:16

I actually did Otakon since I was fifteen or so-- I stopped going a few years ago due to con density, it was getting to be too much towards the end of summer.  Ananth went last year with Applegeeks, though!

Right now we don't have any plans to attend Otakon this year, but that might change!

It is unavoidable. It is your destiny.

Comment by Joe Fox (not verified) Sun, 04/18/2010 - 00:37

Plus, if you guys show up to Otakon, I'll give you cake. Delicious, delicious buttercake.

:D

:<

animal vacuums..

Comment by ChristineA (not verified) Thu, 04/15/2010 - 19:28

Today's comic was just too funny as that's my dog. ;D Like Stephanie & Michael's dogs, Daisy will eat anything! that falls on the floor, except lettuce. She spits that back out. O.o

Tosci's!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 04/15/2010 - 19:41

This has nothing to do with today's comic (which is adorable though) and everything to do with making sure you know about the best ice cream in Cambridge so you can do the right thing while you're at ROFLcon. Just in case you haven't already been there or heard from someone, Toscanini's is *the* place to go for delicious ice cream (and sorbet). It is just up the street from MIT, where Main Street hits Mass Ave. They have all sorts of flavors ranging from banal to bizarre but everything I've ever had there has been delicious. Their sorbet is also amazing - raspberry or strawberry sorbet with hot fudge is the best.

(disclaimer: I have absolutely no affiliation with Tosci's, I'm just an ice cream enthusiast)

Oh man, thanks for the tip!

Comment by Ananth Thu, 04/15/2010 - 21:05

Oh man, thanks for the tip! I will definitely investigate.

Touching

Comment by Jackie (not verified) Thu, 04/15/2010 - 19:46

My cat has a similar curiosity about human food, but she doesn't want to eat it. She just wants to touch it with her paw. She'll stand in the middle of the plate if you let her, just touching the food.

XD

Comment by Aido Thu, 04/15/2010 - 21:13

Ahahaha!  Oh man, that's adorable.  XD  Also probably irritating.  But adorable for me!  :D

This made me LOL

Comment by Elizabeth B (not verified) Fri, 04/16/2010 - 02:12

Like, seriously. That's awesomely hilarious. Cats are so weird. Heeeee.

My siamese eats gumdrops and

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 04/15/2010 - 20:00

My siamese eats gumdrops and lollipops that have chewy bits in the middle, like tootsie pops. And once we found evidence that he enjoys pumpkin pie as well... sweet fang : P

My kind of cat. ;)

Comment by Ananth Thu, 04/15/2010 - 21:06

My kind of cat. ;)

Not as interesting when dogs do it.

Comment by Joe (not verified) Thu, 04/15/2010 - 20:17

Is he an Outside Cat? Wait until you get your first kill!
My dog used to find crickets, get down to the ground, and crawl after them. He'd put them in his mouth and then spit them out still alive. Entertaining for us, traumatizing for those poor crickets.

D:

Comment by Aido Thu, 04/15/2010 - 21:12

Oh no no no, he's not an outside cat-- we live in Brooklyn.  Even if he DID have the disposition for it, I don't think he'll ever be allowed outside.

We DO however have a mouse problem!  Rook has already caught one mouse. :D  We're very proud of him.

My cat used to...

Comment by Hikki536 (not verified) Thu, 04/15/2010 - 20:34

He used to eat human stuff, too.

But after eating catfood 4 a while, he doesn't like'em anymore.
try Purina!

XD

Comment by Ale (not verified) Thu, 04/15/2010 - 22:28

Oh, goodness, that sounds like my cat. He'll go for just about anything, up to geckos he would start eating without even killing them first. Of course, he's fifteen and not-quite-right in the head...

Cats are hilarious little freaks sometimes.

Once...

Comment by Breeze (not verified) Fri, 04/16/2010 - 00:07

I decided to teach my cat Sparkles to "wave", that is lift her paw and wave it. They do it naturally when you place something they are curious about, such as food, just out of reach of their nose.

It did not take long for her to associate "waving" for any sort of food, nor for us to think it adorable and reward her efforts.

She now wants everything my mother may be munching on. Even if she/we know she hates it. She's CONVINCED it's hers.

Her favourite is whipped creme, though. All you have to do is open the fridge and she comes racing over, meowing plaintively. xD At least with the tuna she waits until she smells it... Not so with the whipped creme. Oh cats.