Hungry hungry hippos

Hungry hungry hippos

Thu, 04/15/2010 - 16:30 by Ananth in response to that damned cat

Except a ... cat ... maybe I should change the title.

Actually, Rook is sitting here complaining that he needs to be fed - buddy, the comic's about you! You should be excited! N-no?

(20 minutes later)

Rook has a tendency to beg for food, and our original method was to offer it to him. Most cats dislike certain smells or tastes or temperatures, and we figured he'd just take a pass and then we wouldn't have to deal with it. Nope ... Rook is a garbage disposal and will eat just about anything we put in front of him. We're going to have to enroll him in a kitty spin class or something.

These are some sketches Yuko did while we were at the Natural History Museum - we had some problems uploading yesterday, sorry!

Here's Deinonychus,

Some more,

Pretty cool! Here's some more,

A reminder - these are the conventions we're doing in the next couple of weeks,

Tora-con in Rochester, NY (April 24-25)
ROFLcon in Cambridge, MA (April 30-May 1)
TCAF in Toronto, Ontario, Canada (May 8-9)

We'll be bringing our merch ... Hope to see you there! Have a great weekend!

Comments

Om nom nom.

Comment by Jessica (not verified) Fri, 04/16/2010 - 00:13

Our cat is the same way. Or well, one of them and it happens to be the black kitten of the bunch. We have an aerogarden and he would eat the lettuce that was growing in it. He also has stolen edamame shells, shortbread cookies, and at one point stole of bunch of tortellini out of the strainer in the sink when we weren't looking.

We also know he scouts out the counter tops after we go to bed as we've found pawprints on the counters, sink, stove, and the garbage can. _-_

Toronto Needs to Work On...

Comment by J (not verified) Fri, 04/16/2010 - 00:16

... a catchier name! Tuh-caf? *grimace* But I absolutely SHRIEKED with joy when I saw you guys were attending, which startled my cat who was, in fact, trying to sneak a banana peel from the garbage. He was already on probation from the kitchen for shoving his nose into my rice. Who DOES that? Tsk.

~sigh~ Oh you chunky, all-consuming kitties. Black fur may be slimming, but there's really a limit.

Ahem! Anyway, see y'all in May at TCAF, cheers for coming to Can of Duh :3

Comment by Steffyanie (not verified) Fri, 04/16/2010 - 00:37

...oh my gosh.
I was looking forward, so much, to a new comic today. And this pleases me greatly. My new kitten, Meeko, does the exact same thing. But she doesn't beg, she just gets right up to wherever the food is - I walk into the room with a plate, she sees and smells whatever I have and has booked it over to me within a minute of my entering the room. And it turns out she instantly likes whoever brings food. (She is a skittery, shy little thing and is terrified and hates everyone but myself and my mother.)

Ahh, I love cats. ♥

>_>

Comment by Steve (not verified) Fri, 04/16/2010 - 01:07

I both love and hate our cat. >_>

Cats will eat anything

Comment by Amanda (not verified) Fri, 04/16/2010 - 01:08

My brother used to have a cat when we were in high school that was like Rook. We got back from school and found that he had eaten a yarn thread from a mop. How did we know he had eaten it? Lets just say he wasn't able to digest it when it came out the other end and we had to pull it out. Not pretty, and I felt really sorry for the poor thing.

Omnivores R Us

Comment by Jason (not verified) Fri, 04/16/2010 - 01:37

The only danger of cats getting into coffee grounds I was aware of is when the person making coffee goes away for a few weeks after the cat has already gotten accustomed to getting the grounds on a daily basis..... talk about irritated cat. When the (only) coffee consumer in my family came home after a trip she was nearly knocked over by our cat, demanding coffee grounds.

Other things that cat ate include peanut butter - crack open the lid and he'd be under your feet in an instant - spiders, and anything mint-flavored. He loved toothpaste but hated the foam in his mouth that inevitably followed.

We think he ate too much quail (a la you are what you eat) because he was hit by a car while he was running across the street. The quail around here wait for a car to come by before they all decide to run across the street at once. Remarkably, the mockingbird population around our house increased dramatically after our 20 lb cat was gone. の_の

I know a cat that eats

Comment by Anonymoose (not verified) Fri, 04/16/2010 - 02:45

I know a cat that eats potatoes, in any form. We discovered this when we brought over fast food, and someone was sitting next to the COFFEE TABLE! and had the fries resting on the little under-table bit. She snuck up, stole a fry and started munching on it. Probably went through a few fries before we noticed. It was just... sneak up, grab a fry, pull the fry out of the box, sneak a few steps away... munch munch munch. Repeat.

Mashed and baked potatoes have also been tested.

Nom Nom Tasty Insects

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 04/16/2010 - 03:11

My GF's Cat, Mani, loves flies. And moths. heck if it lazily flies low, it ends up eaten. We've somehow managed to avoid feeding him anything else on a regular basis, but 'sandwich chicken' is a treat of biblical proportions for him.

I'm sure he'd eat male human feet if he could, he loves them.

'Check it, smell it, (eat if possible) then purr like a Steam-Traction Engine' is a sign of a pleased Moggy.

Tora-Con

Comment by Kendall (not verified) Fri, 04/16/2010 - 05:52

Man, I wish I could meet you at Tora-Con, since I live in ROC, but I'm gonna be stuck at college all weekend in Alfred, NY. If you have any time on Saturday, you should come to Hot Dog Day!

Yeah...my college town...Has a one day festival for..hot dogs...

My dog, Mickey does the same

Comment by Dia (not verified) Fri, 04/16/2010 - 07:58

My dog, Mickey does the same thing. I haven't found a single thing that he won't eat. Including my headphones and phone charger. Within the first week we got him. ><

Aughhh that bear skeleton, I

Comment by carlabarla (not verified) Fri, 04/16/2010 - 08:24

Aughhh that bear skeleton, I remember having to draw it out like three times for a life drawing class I took my first year of college. Screw you, bear.

On the upside, neither of my cats really eats anything weird (my previous cat ate Easter basket grass, though, paper and plastic), but my polydactyl cat will get into my food anyway if there's grapes or berries or anything... rollable... in it. And then throw it all on the floor and chase it if I don't pay attention.

Om nom

Comment by megbo (not verified) Fri, 04/16/2010 - 09:04

One of my cats is the same way. She's hilarious if you're eating. Since she's not supposed to be on the table, she'll hop on your lap and stretch out to try to get to your plate. Mostly she just begs for plain yogurt (which is actually safe to give cats) and any time we're prepping meat. She likes ice cubes, too.

Really high quality food tends to help, at least with the two apartment cats we have (Solid Gold dry, Merrick wet). I can distract them with yummy wet food and it's fun to open a can of food and time how long it takes for them to run to the kitchen.

Sadly, I've been told the

Comment by Cheri (not verified) Fri, 04/16/2010 - 09:24

Sadly, I've been told the reason kitties ever act like that is because they were legitimately starved at some point in their life. =[

Once they enter that desperate survival mode, it's hard to get them out of it! I'm confident that with time (lots of it), and your guys' help, he'll learn to relax about food.

Poor Rook. =[
I'm glad he's got a good home now.

Welcome to the club

Comment by Marticus (not verified) Fri, 04/16/2010 - 09:34

My younger-of-two-brothers cat will do the same... I actually tricked him once with some Sriracha sauce and he just licked his lips for a little bit, then wanted more food.

Eggs, Triscuits, crackers, rice, popcorn, mashed potatoes.... you name it, he'll eat it.

And then if for some reason he won't, his brother will.

Jeez, at least your cat eats

Comment by Taco (not verified) Fri, 04/16/2010 - 10:15

Jeez, at least your cat eats things that are food...

my cat will eat anything. i

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 04/16/2010 - 10:27

my cat will eat anything. i mean, ANYTHING...much like your rook. i always thought it was so strange, it's nice to know there is another wacko foodie-kitty out there. he once put a serious dent in a chocolate layer cake when my mother-who was icing it- stepped away for a few minutes. he downed almost 1/3 of the cake in about 7 minutes. he is only 5 pounds too.

My cat constantly begs for

Comment by Spizzy (not verified) Fri, 04/16/2010 - 14:10

My cat constantly begs for food I'm eating, but anytime I try to give it to him, he never eats it. When he was still new to the house and I was cooking one day, I tossed a piece of raw chicken on the floor for him, thinking, you know, all cats eat raw meat. I turn around and see him batting it across the floor. So long as I'm eating stuff, he wants it. The only thing he's ever actually eaten besides his cat food is strawberry juice from strawberries I ate, and he did actually try to eat chocolate from me at some point. Supposedly my family has convinced him to eat cheese or something since he's live there with them but I haven't seen it for myself and don't believe.

Your Rook and my Jinx must

Comment by Nor (not verified) Sat, 04/17/2010 - 05:12

Your Rook and my Jinx must be long lost twins or something. Both black cats, both living garbage disposals lol I find squirt bottles filled with water work pretty well with keeping him off the counter. As far as the begging goes, I just feed him a little more frequently but with way smaller amounts of food through out the day (so he still getting the recommended dose). Good luck in your endeavor and awesome comic as always :)

Haha.. I love cats, they're

Comment by Tina Fajita (not verified) Sat, 04/17/2010 - 09:33

Haha.. I love cats, they're so cool. I found this webpage, http://www.kittehroulette.com/ that randomly pulls up a video of a cat, giving me a daily dose of cuteness at work. Maybe one day I'll see one of Rook :D!! Definite cuteness!

I grew up in a house that

Comment by Beth (not verified) Sat, 04/17/2010 - 11:49

I grew up in a house that had at least 4 cats in it (up to 20 cats once) because my stepmom helped the animal shelter. This is actually not that uncommon. We had cats that would eat rice, noodles, soy sauce (or any sauce), bean paste, coconut milk... really the list goes on and on. One cat would eat durian! I know very few humans who will eat durian.

You should be careful with coffee because large enough amounts can be toxic to cats.

My family always put the cats in the basement during the holidays because they tried to creep into the kitchen to steal food. ._.

Shirt Reprint

Comment by Carolyn (not verified) Sat, 04/17/2010 - 12:04

Hello!

I'd like to request that you reprint *both* the Phoenix Down and Zoolology tees, but if I had to pick one, I'd pick the Phoenix Down. I was just about to buy the XL ladies', but it sold out in the last 24 hours. :( Thank you guys!

I have a cat like that.

Comment by Shauna (not verified) Sat, 04/17/2010 - 15:34

I have a cat like that. He'll give anything a try, he's even nibbled at broccoli before
Yogart isn't that uncommon as it's milk based, a lot of cats like cheese for the same reason.

My cat eats green peppers

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 04/17/2010 - 16:55

My cat eats green peppers and dog food.

I think all cats are like this.

Comment by chino (not verified) Sat, 04/17/2010 - 19:41

I think all of my cats at one point in time have liked to eat weird things if given the chance.

My cat Tom (who I had for 16 years) liked to chew on shoes when we first got him. He was also known to knock big slicing tomatoes off of the kitchen table, chew a hole in them, then lick out the insides and leave a hollow shell of a tomato. He also LOVED maple syrup and would gladly lick a plate clean after a pancake or waffle breakfast. He once tried to eat a rubber snake and puked it up under my bed. Not fun.

My current cats seem as they will turn out the same. Both 1-year-old, Odin likes to chew on our fusuma doors and the wood molding around doorways and windows. He also is our bug catcher-eater. Both he and his sister Freya love to chew on plastic bags. They both love chewing on cardboard boxes. Freya in particular likes the packaging tape on them. Freya also likes chewing on toes when we use the computer.

Cats develop lifetime habits in their first couple of months

Comment by Karma (not verified) Sun, 04/18/2010 - 01:53

If a cat is offered human food a lot in the first few months, they will continue to seek it out for the rest of their life.

It gets especially bad if they learn to beg and you give them food - they'll keep bugging you at your mealtimes. Forever.

Conversely, if you don't give in the first few months, they're most likely to not be very interested in human food at all, especially if you tick with one type of cat food. They simply won't associate human food as something that's supposed to be eaten.

Counter-jumping is also similar. If you make a huge angry fuss and let them know its BAD to jump up the first couple of months, they are likely to not like being on counters later.

My cat will eat noodles. If

Comment by Thaily (not verified) Sun, 04/18/2010 - 09:06

My cat will eat noodles. If you leave your plate unattended for even a second this paw will come creeping around the edge...

Be careful!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sun, 04/18/2010 - 10:08

Things you wouldn't think of that are commonly used in people food (garlic, onions, etc) are poisonous to cats. Wouldn't want poor Rook getting sick.

My cat does this too

Comment by Kendy (not verified) Sun, 04/18/2010 - 13:58

Our one cat will eat pretty much everything you offer him. He usually doesn't beg unless its for McDonald's french fries and tuna. The other two cats could careless. Oh and the kicker is the cat who will eat human foods is our black cat!

hehe

Comment by LikitaRenn (not verified) Sun, 04/18/2010 - 17:05

our youngest cat is the same way, he eats the weirdest stuff! he loves the mushrooms i pick out of my lo mein for some reason... he's also been known to eat pineapple. and he's not shy about it, he'll just come up and put his head in your bowl if you let him. or, if you don't notice, such as when he swiped a whole chicken tenderloin off my plate and ran off with it -_- but he never has been interested in getting up on the counter, so at least that's good!

Cats?

Comment by BurntToShreds (not verified) Sun, 04/18/2010 - 20:14

Making pictures of cats doing silly stuff and posting them on the Internet? How original!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But seriously, this is cute.

Our cat(s) do the same

Comment by lanysmiles (not verified) Mon, 04/19/2010 - 03:41

Our cat(s) do the same thing!
Especially with soy sauce! they're outside cats (lol, who am i kidding) but they wont touch food from the garbage. it has to be in a carton/plate/cup/hand for them to want it!
maybe it's a black/black&white cat thing?

Love this strip.

Comment by Brian (not verified) Tue, 04/20/2010 - 17:40

I love Yuko's art, because the cat in this strip looks like a cat.

What I mean is, she captures the body language and expression of it beautifully, and in a very understated way. Other artists may put more technical detail into their cats, but Yuko's impression of Rook looks exactly like a cat eating different foods. I don't know how to put it better than that. You see Rook eating stuff, and it seems familiar. Like every cat walking up and eating something he shouldn't, in that perfunctory way cats have.

Rook must be a carbon copy.

Comment by Drake (Gleevee Co.) (not verified) Wed, 04/21/2010 - 22:40

He behaves exactly like our own black cat, Roofie (Don't ask.) Does Rook have traditional Hallowe'en Black Cat yellow eyes, like ours? Roofie also has a fairly short face - I'm going to assume the same?

But still... Coffee + Cat = Broken things everywhere. It's like catnip only /faster./ Either way - give your sweethearts our best!

~Gleevee & Co.

The cat:container ratio

Comment by Waffles (not verified) Fri, 05/28/2010 - 08:44

This comic has solidifies my belief that cats become more adorable once their face is buried in something.

Really impressive art work,

Comment by kezrian (not verified) Mon, 12/27/2010 - 10:15

Really impressive art work, i like the last one the most.

Thanks for sharing.

cwzheUuWkuwQnb

Comment by Zaiya (not verified) Fri, 06/24/2011 - 07:04

Frnkaly I think that's absolutely good stuff.

LjaOMqmJyk

Comment by Gloriana (not verified) Sat, 06/25/2011 - 11:42

None can doubt the veractiy of this article.

codes promo

Comment by Weston (not verified) Sat, 05/25/2013 - 10:10

Excellent blog you've got here.. It’s difficult to find good quality writing like yours nowadays. I seriously appreciate people like you! Take care!! site de bon de réduction

codes promo