A Friend In Need!

A Friend In Need!

Wed, 04/21/2010 - 22:46 by Conrad

Hello there Johnny Wander readers! I know this isn't really standard fare, but my friend Rhionna has fallen on some hard times: while between jobs she was diagnosed with brittle diabetes, which has resulted in stage two kidney failure. With no job and no insurance to speak of, she's currently taking commissions for custom shoes to help make ends meet.

A tattoo artist by trade, her style is ornate but fun, and you won't be disappointed with the result. Prices vary depending on your order, and every order helps get her through this incredibly tough time in her life. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and keep on sneaker pimpin'!

UPDATE: She is now also accepting Paypal donations if you wish to contribute in that way. The donation button can be found on the right sidebar of her website. Thank you all again for your incredible support.

Comments

Niiice

Comment by teax2 (not verified) Thu, 04/22/2010 - 11:28

Those look like really nice shoes. I don´t buy anything other than discount secondhand textbooks online though...but seriously, I´d rather buy shoes that helped someone out instead of spending the same $ or more on treads from a company that uses sweatshop labor or something. I wish her luck.

Johnny Wander | Updates Tuesday and Thursday

Comment by floral design (not verified) Thu, 04/18/2013 - 15:44

I do not leave a response, but after reading a few of the
comments here Johnny Wander | Updates Tuesday and Thursday.
I actually do have a couple of questions for you if you do not
mind. Is it only me or does it seem like a few of the responses appear as if they are
coming from brain dead folks? :-P And, if you are writing at additional places, I'd like to follow everything new you have to post. Could you make a list of the complete urls of all your social pages like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

Those are amazing! o_o If I

Comment by Alli (not verified) Thu, 04/22/2010 - 14:38

Those are amazing! o_o If I had money to spare, I'd buy some. D;

Can't afford the shoes but want to help anyway

Comment by PDG (not verified) Fri, 04/23/2010 - 20:41

Does she have a paypal account I can send something to? Can't afford the shoes, but I can afford to help. (Out of little pebbles great mountains grow, as they say!)

An excellent question! I'm

Comment by conrad Fri, 04/23/2010 - 23:05

An excellent question! I'm asking her right now and will post whatever answer I receive. Thank you so much for your interest!

So Cool!

Comment by Tim Burton (not for real-real just for play-play) (not verified) Fri, 04/30/2010 - 08:08

The corpse Bride one is really really good, and shes a tattoo artist? I know some people who would get that in a heart beat. Best of luck to you

Wow

Comment by Razor (not verified) Fri, 04/30/2010 - 12:52

I wouldn't be able to wear them. I'd put them under glass and set them on my coffee table or something. 0_0

Will be praying for Rhionna!

I know, I feel the same way.

Comment by conrad Sun, 05/02/2010 - 05:01

I know, I feel the same way. I would be so afraid to wear them out. Can you frame shoes? XD

That's really sweet, though. Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers.

DINOS

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 04/30/2010 - 16:48

totally random, but i was on tee fury and the design for today made me think of you guys.

so its not adorable like the dinos Yuko draws.
but they're DINOS ALL THE SAME
=]

2-4 weeks.

Comment by Weirden (not verified) Sat, 05/01/2010 - 08:54

I just started my second job so i won't get the paycheck from it for another few weeks but if this is still going on then i'll get some. i've been needing some new shoes anyway. if nothing else, the time will be sufficient to think of what kind of shoes i want.

GL Rhionna!

Oh god, I would SO read

Comment by Origamigryphon (not verified) Sun, 05/09/2010 - 00:46

Oh god, I would SO read Ponycop. The pony 'eeee'ing at the end totally sold me.

Also, COMICS BY SVETLANA? ;3; I want ooooone

Haha, wrong comment

Comment by Origamigryphon (not verified) Sun, 05/09/2010 - 00:47

Haha, wrong comment box...oops? XD

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Comment by E (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 20:03

you have absolutely no idea how much this post made me sqwee

BIRDZ O' PREY 4 LYFE!!! -gang signs-

AW SNAP

Comment by E (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 20:05

i posted this on the wrong post

IM NOT USED TO THIS I SWEAR D:`

Ohhh, THAT kind of raptor!

Comment by MineTruly (not verified) Tue, 05/18/2010 - 07:37

For a moment, I thought this was xkcd!

Speaking of raptors... let me introduce you to the fascinating process of borrowing a stuffed animal from a taxidermy museum.

When I was in high school, my parents took me to the Pember Taxidermy Museum so I could draw the animals. We were able to borrow a Peregrine falcon, put it in our car, and bring it home for two weeks, just like a library book! Also just like a library book, instead of having to drive all the way back to the Pember museum, we were able to just return it to our local library, and they shipped it back to Pember like an interloan book.

The biggest notable difference between borrowing a book and borrowing a Peregrine falcon is that the museum wrote us a note explaining why we had a dead endangered animal in our trunk so we wouldn't get arrested.

Fun!

P.S. a detailed drawing in

Comment by MineTruly (not verified) Tue, 05/18/2010 - 07:40

P.S. a detailed drawing in colored pencil of a fox (which I also borrowed) sitting next to the falcon was one of the centerpieces in the portfolio I submitted to apply for art school.

i just started picking up on

Comment by jordan (not verified) Tue, 05/18/2010 - 13:39

i just started picking up on these and wow u do great drawing of yourself and everyone else they look exactly like the pictures

oops i fail meant to put on

Comment by jordan (not verified) Tue, 05/18/2010 - 13:42

oops i fail meant to put on other post

Wow. Make a shirt of that

Comment by Jamie (not verified) Tue, 05/25/2010 - 16:33

Wow. Make a shirt of that drawing please. By the way, long term reader, haven't commented before. Just a note to say thanks for the great artistry and what can be called an 'interesting' view into your lives. =P
Keep em coming, the neighbours ain't complaining yet.

Maaan...

Comment by NeoTsunami (not verified) Fri, 05/28/2010 - 10:57

Every time I read the oauto-bio strips what take place in your apartment (i.e., 98% of them) I just get this damn urge to finally get out of my house and rent my own apartment. Studying in the same city where your parents live in prevents this because of convenience. But man, how I wish I'd had the chance to study abroad for a while (I live in Mexico). I'm graduating from college in december (hopefully) and your comic has just lit the fire of apartment-living desire even more! Thanks!!

Also...just wanted to point out...I'm at work...discovered your comic yesterday thanks to TPS...And as of 10:45am today...have caught up to this strip...That's how good you guys are!

first of all, rubbing

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 06/04/2010 - 23:20

first of all, rubbing alcohol is a very, VERY slow burning liquid. it has a potential for a shit ton of energy but in its normal liquid form when lit it is a very mild ignition. if it is in an aerosol form, then i could see the mushroom cloud, hence the reason is was researched by America and Germany for use as rocket fuel in a pulsating engine of sorts. lighter fluid, on the other hand, doesnt have alot of energy but contains a much faster reaction, even in a motionless liquid state.

everything else aside, THIS COMIC IS FUCKING HILARIOUS. very appealing to pyros nationwide, myself included =D <3

Shoes would make a great gift

Comment by Dan (not verified) Mon, 06/07/2010 - 18:43

These shoes would make a GREAT gift for my friend.
On her site she told the viewers that it'll b 70-120$ depending.
I just want to be clarified on this if you have the time...^^;;
Also wanted to know what kind of shoes she can work on. :DD

Rubbing Alcohol... ah.... Wool Ball+rubbing alcohol+lighter.
flaming ball pingpong makes great dinner talk.
(\__/)
(^.^)
(>- )>
*bunny hug*

PEAS!?

Comment by Bright Eyed. (not verified) Wed, 06/09/2010 - 19:26

there should be an order of more Paleantlology's or Zoolology's. this probably sounds needy, but I need it.
you guys are so outrageously adorable and Yuko, you are super talented as an artist. <3
-promish.

well hi

Comment by Bright Eyed. (not verified) Wed, 06/09/2010 - 19:28

i just failed like a few other people.
but those shoes are amazing and i hope she gets better and that all the love people feel for her artistry yand her cause helps.
-promish.

Bones!!

Comment by A. D'Amico (not verified) Thu, 06/17/2010 - 23:53

Haha, I remember that episode. It was really very disgusting. I can't believe you watched it while eating dinner! hahaha! At least it wasn't the cannibal one. I couldn't think about eating pork, beef or fish for a week after that.

Its my birthday

Comment by Alutaps (not verified) Tue, 06/22/2010 - 18:18

Its my birthday too!

Birthday buddies :D

I hope things will improve

Comment by Dainty (not verified) Wed, 06/30/2010 - 23:16

I hope things will improve for you Rhionna, my heart goes out to you. Your work is beautiful, and I wish I could spare that kind of money right now. But I will pass the info on to friends, and I hope you'll find a new affordable shoe option.

We must spread the word!!

Comment by Mokitty (not verified) Wed, 07/07/2010 - 01:21

I don't like those kinds of shoes, though I just adore the art itself... I don't have any money (I'd get a job if it weren't for these darn child labor laws!!!) and I know nobody that would be willing to buy something like that for me, but I do know people that might be willing to buy shoes for themselves. I hope Rhionna's situation improves, and I wish I could do more to help.

It really it some neat

Comment by Kuragari (not verified) Tue, 07/13/2010 - 10:05

It really it some neat artwork, I'm wondering if a canvas bag would work the same way? I wouldn't wear the shoes since I'm a guy, but I love the artwork and just wonder if there isn't a way to expand what's available so more people are inclined to buy? Just a thought. It sucks when bad things happen to talented people. Hang in there!