Frosting Recipe!

Frosting Recipe!

Wed, 04/21/2010 - 10:59 by Aido in response to and then our cake had no frosting

A lot of people have been requesting the frosting recipe I used, so I'll share it here!

Basically what I did was make a standard buttercream frosting, but replaced the sugar with a package of instant pudding.  The resulting frosting is rich, ridiculously thick and less sweet than store-bought frostings.  I haven't seen this online anywhere, but I'm certain I'm not the first person to do this.

Ingredients:

• 1 pkg. instant pudding, any flavor
• 1/2 pint cream (you can more or less depending on how thick you want it, heck you can also use milk if you just want thick pudding on your cake, which I've done before and is pretty awesome)
• 1/2 stick unsweetened butter, melted (or more, whatever you want)
• Confectioner's sugar, to taste (I don't add any extra sugar since I'm not huge on overly sweet things)

Blend everything together.  Put on a cake, or eat with a spoon, whichever.  Frosts one cake.

All of the online recipes I've seen for pudding frosting call for Cool-Whip, which I'm sure is super delicious.

O-OH and I should mention, I don't pretend to be a good cook, so your mileage might vary with this recipe.  I kinda just made it up on the fly, which is why the measurements are so "eh whatever, use your best judgement."

Good luck!

Comments

Ooooh frosting

Comment by Razor (not verified) Wed, 04/21/2010 - 11:48

I'm going to have to try that! Sounds pretty darn good.

Eee, Rook in the window =)

Rook v. John

Comment by Jingseng (not verified) Wed, 04/21/2010 - 12:52

Epic battle for frosting - GO

Sweet!

Comment by Andrew (not verified) Wed, 04/21/2010 - 13:10

Literally. :P

Thanks, I'll have to give try sometime real soon.

OMG Delicious

Comment by Mel (not verified) Wed, 04/21/2010 - 14:04

I'm pretty sure I'd do the same thing as John. I can imagine it now.

"What's that?"
"Frosting with pudding."
"...GIMME NAOZ."

Yeah, I'd end up speaking in Internet speak...

Iron Chef: Battle Frosting.

Comment by Joe (not verified) Wed, 04/21/2010 - 14:39

Iron Chef: Battle Frosting.

Take the frosting and flee!

Comment by Fraoch (not verified) Wed, 04/21/2010 - 15:51

Oh, no! the John Look! Run for it Yuko! (and leave the frosting with me where it'll be safe >.>)
I am SO going to try that next time I have a hankering for cupcakes. I love discovered recipe hacks like this :)

Yeah, tried this with

Comment by Nai (not verified) Wed, 04/21/2010 - 20:04

Yeah, tried this with cheesecake pudding.

Buttercream frosting? We're breaking up.

They make cheesecake

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Mon, 04/26/2010 - 23:12

They make cheesecake pudding? Awesome! >.< *steals*

I've made the version with

Comment by Melikoth (not verified) Wed, 04/21/2010 - 22:50

I've made the version with cool whip. I saw recipes that said sugar free variants of pudding, but as I'm allergic to artificial sweetener I used regular pudding. It was tasty, but the sugar in the pudding didn't dissolve in the cool whip, so sometimes it was a little crunchy.

I'm probably going to make and eat a batch of this now!

Nomnomnom!

Comment by Alli (not verified) Wed, 04/21/2010 - 22:55

This sounds epic! I'll have to try this, thanks for the recipe Yuko! :D

Why use instant pudding at all?

Comment by Andrew (not verified) Thu, 04/22/2010 - 01:24

Why not just make a ganache? Chocolate, cream, and butter combined in the right quantities, can be used as a base for truffles, or frosting, or for dipping fruit into and leaving to set, or for pouring as an accompaniment to sweet desserts.

It's one of the most simple, direct, richest and most delicious ways of embellishing your cakes.

Try it!

The problem with melting

Comment by Cytherea (not verified) Sat, 04/24/2010 - 00:12

The problem with melting chocolate is needing a double-boiler. Last time we tried it, the pot boiled over... which is REALLY BAD on a gas stove, especially when you're panicking too much over the chocolate to notice that, hey, the gas is still coming out even though the flame's not lit...

After I saw your original

Comment by Aerie (not verified) Thu, 04/22/2010 - 04:43

After I saw your original comic about the icing, I had to try it. I just winged it, but so far it's been a huge hit.

I just use butter, pudding mix, and whipping cream to do mine. Never even thought about the powder sugar.

^_^ Also, for the cake part, instead of using oil in the cake mix, I substituted apple sauce. It makes the cake more moist.

http://twitpic.com/1aat3v <--- this one was devil's food chocolate cake with peanut butter cups stuffed inside with cheesecake icing.

I always tell my friends this is the "Yuko Recipe". XD

So yeah... I got

Comment by Kaotik4266 (not verified) Thu, 04/22/2010 - 05:01

So yeah... I got bored.
Hope you guys don't mind! :)

Mmm mmm tasty!

Comment by MissKacey (not verified) Thu, 04/22/2010 - 07:13

Thanks for the recipe I'm totally going to try this!

Have you ever tried making your own Buttercream frosting? It's super easy and delicious!

This is my fav one ever! All my friends love it ;)

OH MY GOSH. Thank you

Comment by Linners (not verified) Thu, 04/22/2010 - 08:48

OH MY GOSH.
Thank you sososososo much. I have to make a cake for a party today, and I DO NOT HAVE FROSTING. But we do have milk, pudding, butter, and confectioners' sugar! What a weight off of my shoulders.

I'm going to have to try

Comment by Spizzy (not verified) Thu, 04/22/2010 - 10:02

I'm going to have to try this since that means I can have a frosting flavor OTHER than friggin chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry (banana icing anyone?). And much as I love sugar, usual butter creme is too much to handle, so the less sweet sounds...sweet!

The only thing I have to worry now

Comment by Ramiel (not verified) Thu, 04/22/2010 - 13:11

is myself, my dog and everyone else who wants to eat it before it goes on the cake D:

Also, death stares O_O

Had to show it to the GF...

Comment by DrGradus (not verified) Thu, 04/22/2010 - 13:56

...because she's the super-awesome-sauce-cook in the house. (srsly). She's the cook, and I just add flavor and seasonings to finish up. The question we had with the recipe is this: You mean un-salted butter, not unsweeted, right?

Deathstare.

Comment by Julia (not verified) Thu, 04/22/2010 - 15:23

I've been reading your comics for some time now (hello from brazil!) and i honestly think i'd be afraid of John if i ever saw him do the death stare. Or maybe not.

Damn, i'm hungry now. :/
Congratulations on the comics; really love them!

Hey again.

Comment by Julia (not verified) Thu, 04/22/2010 - 17:37

Sorry, forgot to ask: what happened to Fallen? I used to love it D:

And, btw, i came here from QC.

I'm going to have to stop by the store...

Comment by AmandaK (not verified) Thu, 04/22/2010 - 18:33

...on my way home from work tonight so that I can buy all of that stuff and try it. It sounds AMAZING. Thanks, Yuko! (o:

Icing?

Comment by Pippin4242 (not verified) Sat, 04/24/2010 - 05:07

That sounds gorgeous, but I'm with John - I'd rather just eat it. To me, all icing should be a cup of icing sugar, a square inch of butter, and a heavy squirt of lemon juice, whipped with a fork and a tablespoon of boiing water.

Which I have also made just to eat. :S

Improvements?

Comment by sdf_iain (not verified) Sat, 04/24/2010 - 11:39

Here's a few questions:
Have you tried whipping the cream before mixing with the pudding? Or is the pudding mix the primary means of thickening?
Have you tried just softening the butter, not melting it?

If the answer to any of these is no, I may have to buy a few things of pudding and tinker with your recipe. it's my son's first birthday very soon and this sounds like the ideal frosting to put in front of him and let him attack.

Cooking method

Comment by Trypno (not verified) Thu, 06/03/2010 - 00:09

I do the exact same thing when I'm cooking usually. I tend to just look at some ingredients and throw them together in a usually semi-edible fashion. Most of the time it comes out fairly delicious, other times, like the cheeseburger, barbecue sauce, cream-cheese onion bagel I made the other day. That was just odd and I don't think I'd recommend eating it...

Hooooooly crap

Comment by Noamuth (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 21:22

I have to make this. Right now.

I'm going to use honeycomb pudding mix, though I'm going to try just using softened unsalted butter, not melted.

Wish me luck. ^^;

Dude, so good. I made it for

Comment by Puppyscruffy1 (not verified) Wed, 08/11/2010 - 20:58

Dude, so good. I made it for a cake I was serving at a party. Wasn't quite the color I'd hoped it would be, so I used a little purple food coloring.

unSWEETENED?

Comment by Corrigan7 (not verified) Mon, 08/23/2010 - 17:56

As DrGradus said in
you do mean unsalted butter, yes?

I want to try this now...
I also want to try to find sweetened butter...

huh...

Comment by Corrigan7 (not verified) Mon, 08/23/2010 - 17:59

I just Googled sweetened butter...
Did you make a suffix error (meant unSALTED butter) or did you mean salted butter (unsalted is referred to as sweet cream butter)?

pistachio frosting

Comment by james (not verified) Sat, 11/20/2010 - 14:03

I LOVE pistachio pudding but never thought to turn it into a frosting. No one else in my fam likes it so more for me. I will given them the color is a bit strange unless it's St Patty's Day :)
kawarthas cottage rentals

I absolutely love your blog

Comment by Gilberto Deshong (not verified) Fri, 01/11/2013 - 10:57

I absolutely love your blog and find the majority of your post's to be exactly what I'm looking for. Do you offer guest writers to write content for yourself? I wouldn't mind producing a post or elaborating on many of the subjects you write regarding here. Again, awesome website! herbal tinnitus cure

Holy mother of god you are a genius!

Comment by Becca (not verified) Sun, 05/26/2013 - 23:19

I was out of chocolate frosting and i didn't have any coolwhip but I did have chocolate pudding. Your recipe is amazing and I will use it ALL the time.