Guest Strip!

Guest Strip!

Fri, 04/30/2010 - 01:02 by Conrad in response to Guest Comic - Red Bull in the Game Shop

Oh man, so much to talk about! First: my apologies that the comic is perhaps a tad late, but we all owe my friend and co-worker Emily Compton a great debt of gratitude! She was kind enough to punch a comic out for your viewing pleasure after a tough day of work, so she deserves extra love and props. Yuko and Ananth will return on their regular schedule next week after ROFL-Con.

Today's comic takes place at my new workplace, Muse Games. Muse is an awesome New York-based indie game shop currently specializing in in-browser 3D games powered by Unity. tl;dr: I make 3D games for a living now and it's totally rad. As if the allure of making games wasn't enough, I also happen to work with some of the coolest and most talented people on either side of the time zone. So yes, things are going well in this neck of the woods.

Of course, as an indie studio things can get hectic now and again, leaving it up to my long time friend caffeine to pick up the slack for me. Normally my weapon of choice is coffee, but as summer approaches the allure of hot coffee wanes. A tragedy perhaps, but nowhere near as terrible as me keeping the empty cans in rows on the empty bookshelf next to my desk.

As an aside: I've experimented with making coffee in the french press using only the sun to heat and percolate (uninspiringly named Sun Coffee), but results have been lackluster.

By the by, if you happen to be at ROFL-Con this weekend, Yuko will be competing in the Super Art Fight competition there! I encourage you to check it out, it's always a great time.

Comments

>_>

Comment by Steve (not verified) Fri, 04/30/2010 - 01:15

You forgot that awesome picture I told you to post in the blog >_>

My Relationship With Redbull

Comment by Samm Neiland (not verified) Fri, 04/30/2010 - 02:00

After prolonged amount of usage of it, my eyes begin to hurt badly. Not sure what it is. That, and I find the taste rather rank x_x

I'll stick with Dr. Pepper. That stuff is like crack to me.

WOOOOO!!!

Comment by Zsy (not verified) Fri, 04/30/2010 - 06:40

Yuko's gonna annihilate the competition!

:D

Comment by Zsy (not verified) Sat, 05/01/2010 - 17:56

Yuko annihilated the competition. : )

So, so true

Comment by Joe D. (not verified) Fri, 04/30/2010 - 06:47

This is precisely how I survived in architecture school. I got into the habit of buying a case and labeling each for consumption in one hour and fifteen minute intervals.

Iced coffee

Comment by Lel (not verified) Fri, 04/30/2010 - 07:04

Patience (or neglect, depending on how you look at it) will give you delicious iced coffee!

Cold brewed iced coffee

hah

Comment by D.L. (not verified) Fri, 04/30/2010 - 09:47

I was going to post the original NY Times article that the Smitten Kitchen post is based on. Well, I guess I still can:

Recipe: Cold-Brewed Iced Coffee

Ha! You're WEAK! I live in

Comment by Ed BRRJ (not verified) Fri, 04/30/2010 - 07:51

Ha! You're WEAK! I live in Rio de Janeiro and I drink coffee all year round. And it's HOT here in the summer. Really damn hot!

Coffee is disappointed in you, Conrad. Really disappointed.

A cheap trick is to brew

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 04/30/2010 - 12:30

A cheap trick is to brew your hot coffee double strength. Then cut it 50/50 with ice (which turns to cold water!). Keep in the ice box until ready to drink, then pour over ice. That way it doesn't water down your iced coffee.

Red Bull gives you

Comment by Reynard (not verified) Fri, 04/30/2010 - 16:06

Red Bull gives you STROKES!!! (Or, at the very least, insomnia and migraines...)

whuuut

Comment by Tillie (not verified) Fri, 04/30/2010 - 19:09

Holy crap, Emily? What a small world we artists live in! Emily, if you're reading the comments: Good to see your work outside of our old animation classes! I would have more to say if I weren't so thunderstruck by this coincidence...

Yo Tillie, wassup! I saw

Comment by Emi (not verified) Sun, 05/02/2010 - 14:27

Yo Tillie, wassup! I saw that you followed Johnny Wander on your blog!

Conrad - an alternative to

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 04/30/2010 - 23:48

Conrad - an alternative to your Sun Coffee: Toddy Coffee www.toddycafe.com is a cold brew coffee method. Super yummy cracky goodness without the acidity. Just takes a bit of pre-planning....
Cheers!

Try an Aerobie Press

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 05/01/2010 - 21:29

Google it. SUPER easy to make coffee with, costs $30. Maxwell House tastes way better than Starbucks.

*not affiliated with product*

That hair...

Comment by Adam M (not verified) Mon, 05/03/2010 - 04:41

It tickles me that even in guest comics Conrad continues to have Mysterious Creature Hair. :)

Late to the party...

Comment by Last Knight (not verified) Tue, 05/04/2010 - 07:22

...but just let me chime in with the cold brew crowd. Haven't had a chance to try it myself, but I intend to - especially since you can cold brew in a French Press.

I've never heard of "Sun coffee" the way people make "Sun tea," but maybe you just didn't give it enough time? Cold brewing takes 12-24 hours...

ugh Red Bull

Comment by teax2 (not verified) Tue, 05/04/2010 - 15:31

Energy drinks scare me. So do those energy pills at the convenience store right next to the cell phone charms. I have no idea what is in that product or how it will effect me now or later.

When I drink coffee, I have to be okay with the fact that i will spend the next night tossing and turning while thinking involuntarily about boring philosophical concepts. Seriously, I love coffee, especially the good old fashioned kind that my dad makes (I believe it is called the Turkish method) but I´m too sensitive to it nowadays. Once at summer camp I drank four cups of it thinking they were only serving us kids decaf and it was weak. BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM. It wasn´t just a caffiene crash, it was a caffiene six-car pileup. I wonder if Conrad feels that way after debugging.

wheee debugging

Comment by lanysmiles (not verified) Thu, 05/06/2010 - 04:15

You should try monster or mad dog, makes 72 hours straight a breeze!! :D

w00t, games!

Comment by Antaku (not verified) Fri, 05/07/2010 - 03:40

I do some n00by game programming as a hobby. Debugging is messy death even when the game is simple and you're not on a schedule.

On a schedule, it must be equivalent to cleaning up after a graduation house party alone - and your job is on the line. Needless to say, I have lots of respect for game programmers. :)

Praise be to the skies for videogames and legal stimulants.