Dear Diary

Dear Diary

Wed, 05/12/2010 - 15:39 by Ananth in response to hourly comics: may 11th 2010

It was a 14 hour train ride back from Toronto, and to kill time we made hourlies out of it. Here you go!

TCAF was great, guys! Thanks so much to everyone who stopped by and bought something or said hello, it was great to see you all. We tabled with TK and sat next to KC Green, both of whom were a pleasure to hang out with. We also have a few leftover copies of Pony Rock, which we'll be putting up into the store some time soon. Oh! Chris Butcher also snapped up PaleontoLOLgy, Mawzantine Crest, and Phoenix Down tees at the end of the show, so they'll be available at the Beguiling some time in the future - if you live in Toronto and you want one, you should definitely swing by and grab one. ;)

We're back and returning to work as quickly as possible - for those of you who have orders that haven't been shipped, I'll be taking care of that this week. Sorry for the wait!

KC sat on a throne of books and talked of them all weekend, so on my return to Brooklyn all I can think of is getting the JW book punched out. It's been floating in the ether while we finish up our client work, but I'm going to begin putting a schedule on the calendar so we get rolling on it.

There are lots of other things to talk about, but I'm going to save them for later post. We went to a Raptor Institute where they rehabilitate birds of prey, and it was an amazing experience. I'll wait till I have the pictures before I talk about it at length, though!

Comments

Whaaaat.

Comment by Matt B. (not verified) Wed, 05/12/2010 - 15:47

FOURTEEN HOURS? You might as well have hitchhiked back!

Are we there yet?

Comment by Fraoch (not verified) Wed, 05/12/2010 - 15:52

Fourteen hours? Man, I'm not complaining about my 10-hour bus ride to Idaho ever again o.o

You should have started singing along with the guy across form you. The worst that could happen is that you tick him off and he stops singing lol

14 hours on the train, ahh,

Comment by FuriousSterling (not verified) Wed, 05/12/2010 - 15:57

14 hours on the train, ahh, modern rail travel.

Also, why does a janitor need a pitchfork? Other than to cement the whole devil look.

My, you had some bad luck

Comment by R (not verified) Wed, 05/12/2010 - 16:07

My, you had some bad luck with co-passengers. The number one downside in public transportation..
I once traveled from Finland to St. Petersburg in a bus, and all the way there I listened to two drunk men trying to hit on a poor irritated lady behind me. Plus the bus left at 5 am so everyone else just wanted to sleep.. And after a week it was the same thing again. Good times.

Anyway, nice to see some hourlies from you! And I'm pretty excited about the JW book, so glad you'll be able to make one :)

I've done this trip too!

Comment by Mark B (not verified) Wed, 05/12/2010 - 16:10

I've done this trip too! Oddly enough it was after a comic book show as well. I was travelling from T.O. and I was going to visit my friend in Brooklyn. I was excited because it was going to be my first train ride ever. I guess I should've done my research before I made the trip plans, but I never thought it'd be that long. I guess I thought the trains here in North America were like the ones in Europe and Japan (super fast).

A fun experience, but something I wouldn't do again.

May I just say you two

Comment by Nickolai (not verified) Wed, 05/12/2010 - 16:40

May I just say you two snuggled up on that seat is adorable.

Teeny Light House

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 05/12/2010 - 16:43

I love that lighthouse, I live in Albany, NY and when ever I make trips to NYC I always make sure to look out for it.

Sounds like the Athens Lighthouse to me..

Comment by Hunter Rose (not verified) Wed, 05/12/2010 - 20:49

If the lighthouse is as you pass Hudson NY, then it's the Athens lighthouse. I grew up with a view it! I just moved back into town too.

All of the thumbnail-sized panels packed with text reminds me of some Matt Wagner layouts from Grendel comics. :D

train

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 05/12/2010 - 16:48

I've taken that train line several times but never from one end to the other! I usually get on at Rochester and go to either Albany or NYC. Once I took the one that went all the way to Chicago, but I was just going back from Albany to Rochester. We got stopped by Border Patrol and we weren't even at Rochester yet, so we weren't anywhere near the border. They asked us if we were citizens, and that's it, but we never found out why they boarded the train.

It was weird >.<

Me too!

Comment by Stevie (not verified) Wed, 05/12/2010 - 21:13

I was going from chicago to nyc and they stopped our train too. Only on mine some guy sitting in the seat across from me got taken off of it.

Amtrak

Comment by Josh (not verified) Wed, 05/12/2010 - 20:54

I have taken the train from UVM (in Burlington VT) down to Stamford CT because I live in Westchester. It's a looooooong ride, with some really interesting people.

Trains are filled weirdos for some reason

Comment by Jingseng (not verified) Wed, 05/12/2010 - 20:54

I've taken amtrak from Wash DC <->NYC a couple of times. I rarely have a good trip.

There was one time, at night, this semi-comatose/drunk girl sits down next to me -_-. She doesn't have her ticket (somehow) and isn't sure where she is going, or where her stop is.

And then she proceeded to sleep on my shoulder -_-.

This was, at first, ok... since she was kinda cute, if rather obnoxious.

Then as time went on, she kept rambling at me incoherently, demanding to know if it was her stop, and getting upset if i moved and woke her up.

And if i went to sleep (or pretended to), she would WAKE ME UP, to ask where we were >.<.

long train ride is long.

Comment by Stevie (not verified) Wed, 05/12/2010 - 21:09

Amtrak coffee is bad. But everyone wants it anyhow.

but really? 14 hours? I live in chicago and it took us 14 hours to drive there. I would think a train would be faster than that.

Its nice to know that my experience of border patrol officers taking someone off the train with them wasn't so completely random. Except that we never crossed the border on my route...

Ouch!

Comment by King_Bahamut (not verified) Wed, 05/12/2010 - 21:51

I would not want to go through that experience, I guess I can feel lucky that my health keeps me from being able to do much so I don't get to deal with the hassles of travel. I have to say at least, that even though these seem like big things you make when you are really busy, I really like the hourlys.(^^)

Did you catch some of our

Comment by Jitzin (not verified) Wed, 05/12/2010 - 21:56

Did you catch some of our snow while you were here? Yup, totally snowed Saturday night, I hope you two missed it. :P

Trains!

Comment by Skie (not verified) Wed, 05/12/2010 - 22:20

I took Amtrak from DC to Chicago; alone.

17 hours (23 if I had taken the slower train!) by myself is slightly maddening. Be glad you had each-other. :'(

Pizza

Comment by nyditch (not verified) Wed, 05/12/2010 - 22:48

*Former New Yorker* Was it a real New York pizza, or was it junk (Domino's, Pizza Hut, etc). Bummer that it made ya sick. It's rare to find good pizza in california.

I was just wondering, did you guys ever get to play Arkham Horror? It gets pretty crazy; even more so with some of the expansions.

d'awwww

Comment by Wendu (not verified) Wed, 05/12/2010 - 23:25

You guys don't look like a couple very often; it's super easy to forget you guys are. D:

From the US (North Cali) to the Philippine Islands took, all together, something roughly like 24 hours. I don't remember a lot of it; I was young. We switched planes at least 3 times, and we took the long way: stops in Japan and Singapore.

:P

But the PI airlines planes had videos games on the back of every seat! Yeah!

Thanks, auto industry

Comment by ??? (not verified) Wed, 05/12/2010 - 23:43

That should probably take 8 hours, tops. Maybe 10 if need be to account for immigration/customs.

OF COURSE, the rail infrastructure is so fucked up now that even freight trains (which have priority over passenger service in most places) have a slow going.

Thanks, auto industry! You deserved your bankruptcy.

For some reason I misread

Comment by Shantal (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 00:13

For some reason I misread "Toronto" as Tokyo at first (probably because the TK) and for a second I was like "A train from Tokyo to NYC-wait wait what?"

That seems a little bit

Comment by Chaddaï (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 03:52

That seems a little bit slow... In France Paris-Marseille takes 3 hours and it's a 800km distance, same as Toronto-New York, even accounting for the Border Patrol, 14 hours is completely fucked up, were they stopping at each and every village ?

MAKE THE BOOK!!! Yay for

Comment by Anna (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 08:39

MAKE THE BOOK!!!

Yay for TCAF!

Next time take the quiet

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 09:12

Next time take the quiet car! You aren't allowed to talk, and there's no cell phone use...makes Amtrak a dream...

14 hours on a train...

Comment by T-Red (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 09:36

14 hours on a train... willing to bet that there was no wifi either. I reckon I'd probably go mad, or insane... No, definitely mad.

uwah

Comment by Natalie (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 10:52

Fourteen hours. I definitely know how you feel D: I was on a train for 22 hours by myself. Never again. The scenery was pretty but that was the worst idea I've ever had. Ughghgah

Trains

Comment by Bob (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 12:33

@chaddai: With the exception of a couple of routes in the northeast, Amtrak runs at a maximum speed of about 100 kph through open country and considerably less in urban areas. Add in the border crossing plus delays of an hour or so at Buffalo and Albany and the occasional wait for a freight train to pass (yes, that's right, in the US FREIGHT TRAINS generally have right-of-way over passenger trains), and 14 hours is pretty believable.

If you have enough drivers so that your only stops are for gas/restroom breaks/fast food, the train generally will not have any time advantage over driving. Also, surprisingly, it's not significantly cheaper than 21-day advance air travel.

That's a pretty long train ride

Comment by Rezmason (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 22:45

Hey guys if you like the Hudson River so much why don't you MARRY it?

Or, you can check this out instead. Back when steamboats were a big thing, a few entrepreneurs made really long brochures for the passengers. You can find that lighthouse you mentioned if you pan around for it.

It's like Google maps circa 1845.

Owls

Comment by Stella (not verified) Fri, 05/14/2010 - 10:21

My family rescued a couple of screech owl hatchlings that were blown out of their nest after a storm. We tried unsuccessfully to get the parents to resume care of them by placing the nest and the young in the same tree on lower branches, but to no avail. We ended up adopting and hand raising them, and let me say, owls are really cool, and, suprisingly good snugglers (their feathers are soooo soft!). I spent many an afternoon in my childhood cuddled up with them on the couch watching TV. They were intelligent enough to watch TV too, and even had programs they liked (and didn't like)!

Its important to remember to respect them, as they are lean, mean, evolutionarily driven rodent killing machines, and I still sport scars from a few moments of over excitement during feeding time (those talons can go through a pair of leather gloves suprisingly easy) but all in all, owls are pretty nifty guys.

If you think 14 hours on a

Comment by BS (not verified) Tue, 07/06/2010 - 19:04

If you think 14 hours on a train is bad try DRIVING 14 hours across Texas. You don't even have the luxury of sleeping, er, that's if you like living life dangerously. And when by dangerously I mean dead.

i named myself TK in

Comment by TK McCampbell (not verified) Sat, 10/09/2010 - 13:29

i named myself TK in kindergarten, go 12 years without meeting anyone else named TK, and in the past year have met, heard about, or seen multiple people with the name TK

it's really weird

Comment by TK McCampbell (not verified) Sat, 10/09/2010 - 13:31

it's really weird

Comment by Ryan (not verified) Wed, 02/09/2011 - 03:00

http://hudsonathenslighthouse.org/photographs.html I saw some comments on this lighthouse but thought I'd provide a link to show that it is not only real but indeed notably small.