Mountsberg Raptor Centre!

Mountsberg Raptor Centre!

Thu, 05/13/2010 - 15:24 by Ananth in response to visiting the mountsberg raptor centre

Last Monday, after TCAF, we got to go to the Mountsberg Raptor Institute. Yuko's longtime friend Amy showed us around, telling us a lot about the birds and allowing us to hold several of them. Some pictures from the visit below,

This is Teddy, the star of today's strip - she's the friendliest owl you'll ever meet. If you hold her for a while she'll lean into you and fall asleep - totally cute.

Awww yeaaah.

This is Amy and Pawgwa, an adolescent bald eagle. She doesn't like guys (me) and in order to drive them off she uses a warning call which actually sounds like a low-pitch GRONK.

Pawgwa's wingspan is huge.

Majestic.

This was when Teddy was falling asleep on TK. D'aww.

That's a lovely scarf you have, Miz TK.

Takenya is my homegirl. She's a red-tailed hawk. Hark, danger over the ridge!

Don't eat Otis! Otis is a screech owl born with only one eye - you can't see the other one from this angle, but it's a milky proto-eye. I kept calling him Odin.

We are totally ready to fight some bad guys.

The last owl we met was Hutton. He's a sahwet owl, the smallest species of owl in North America. His eyes are so big! Or maybe the rest of him is just mega tiny.

That was our trip to Mountsberg! I'll be posting more photos over on Flickr at some point this week - I'll link to 'em when I do. Hope you guys enjoyed the pics!

Comments

Awesome!

Comment by joyvision (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 15:39

Is Yuko making an awesomeface in the 3rd from last pic?!?

n... no.

Comment by Aido Thu, 05/13/2010 - 16:40

O... only because Amy told me to.

Oh Really

Comment by Jeremy (not verified) Fri, 05/14/2010 - 01:14

You should have done the Oh Really owl face.
XD

Cool!

Comment by Trae (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 15:47

Wow, these are some great pictures. I love the owls, and I wish there were some more of Otis. It's always interesting to see some pictures of the guys behind (and in) the comic!

i've always found owls

Comment by Maiu (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 16:50

i've always found owls creepy...but teddy is adorable xD

i believe this is my first time commenting on your comic...
i've been reading it for several months now >__>
almost a year...

You guys are awesome :D

...I'm a horrible person >__>

haha i'e been prettymch

Comment by SatnSixSix (not verified) Sun, 05/30/2010 - 21:06

haha i'e been prettymch reading itfrom the start... hav never comented, f your horrible wht am I??

Yuki can i send a picture of awesomeface you i drw??
i noiced their isn't a fan gallery... whatsthatabout.. conrad. god i feel like i know you, you knw?

YukOyukO

Comment by SatanSixSix (not verified) Sun, 05/30/2010 - 21:09

sorry Yuko typo... i would make a good landlord right..?

so cute

Comment by gwenz (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 16:52

did you take hutton home? i totally would have smuggled him out in my pocket!

So adorable...

Comment by Neesee (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 17:01

I want a Hutton plushie!! And I think Otis should have his name changed to Odin. These birds are awesome!

Interesting idea

Comment by drmike (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 19:10

That would be an interesting idea for a fundraiser. I wonder if they do that....

Fundraiser items

Comment by Neesee (not verified) Fri, 05/14/2010 - 08:31

Teddy scarves and Hutton plushies for sale!

THAT IS POSSIBLY THE MOST

Comment by Adrean Clark (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 17:01

THAT IS POSSIBLY THE MOST ADORABLE OWL I HAVE EVER SEEN

I like the group pic of awesomeness too. Looks like you guys are ready to kick villain butt. ;)

Sleepy owl hugs look like

Comment by FuriousSterling (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 17:01

Sleepy owl hugs look like the most awesome thing.

There are not words...

Comment by Val (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 17:03

...to properly convey my jealousy!!!!1!!1one!

And OMG Hutton & Teddy are adorable! :D

Comment by Nami (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 17:18

this is so awesome.

Ha!

Comment by "Endless Crescendo" Mark (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 17:29

Yeah, I'm completely jealous right now. It looks like you guys really had a lot of fun, I now wish I could visit that raptor institute.

I more liked the photo you

Comment by spoonifur (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 17:34

I more liked the photo you put on twitter of you biting the little guy, adorable. Owls fucking rock!

*gasp!*

Comment by AmandaK (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 17:46

Adorable owls! And that eagle would make me incredibly nervous, I think, although she's gorgeous. So jealous you guys got to hold them but glad we get to see pics ^^

Whoooo are you whoo whoo whoo whoo

Comment by Razor (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 17:46

Aw, poor Teddy, but it looks like she's very sweet. Who on the planet can say they've gotten hugged by an owl? Very few...

Ananth and Takenya definitely look like they are ready to kick bad guy booty.

Hutton and Yuko = <3

eeeeeeeeee

Comment by RivkaZ (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 18:00

Ohgod Barred Owls are literally my favorite thing on earth. They are the most ridiculously fluffy of god's little predators. >w<
And a sahwet! *_* You guys have the best vacations ever.

OMG SO CUTE!!!! XD

Comment by Bettina Marie (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 18:00

SO FREAKIN CUUUUUUUUUUTE!!!!! XD

ho crap! Teddy reminds me of the barred owl my mom takes care of at the South Shore Natural Science Center in Norwell, MA!XD (at which, btw, Jeff Corwin got his start there and I believe created their Ecozone learning center with animals >.>)...but yea, their owl...named Hedwig (yay for originality and WRONG type of owl! LOLXD)...was also injured and blinded when hit by a car...same eye too XD;;; she's completely flightless now because of her wing injury and they also had to remove her right blinded eye because of an infection last year ;__;...at least we sort of have something in common (both being blind in the right eye that is ^_^;;) Anytime you're interested and up near here in good ole Mass, stop in sometime! XD they've some nice snakes(especially the EVERso pretty albino rat snake XD) and stuff...and an iguana named Bob >.>;;;

All in all TOTALLY jealous that you got to visit that center...my mom would TOTALLY love to go there some day!! :D Will DEFINITELY have to mention it to her for sure! XDehe

I CAN SEE ANATH'S EYES. :o

Comment by sauce! (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 18:08

I CAN SEE ANATH'S EYES.

:o :o :o

Wow, I didn't even notice

Comment by jojo (not verified) Sat, 05/15/2010 - 03:26

Wow, I didn't even notice that. It's like I've been conditioned to replace his eyes with nothing every time I see an actual picture of him :\

Lies.

Comment by Joe (not verified) Mon, 05/17/2010 - 12:55

It's a trick of the light.

Totally Awesome!

Comment by Andrew (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 18:16

Sounds like y'all had a blast!

ORLY?!

Comment by Dani (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 18:18

Firstly i wanted to say
OH MY GOD YUKO IS ADORABLE I WANT TO KEEP HER IN A LIL BOTTLE~

Secondly,
OH MY GOD THOSE OWLS ARE SO ADORABLE I WANT TO TAKE THEM HOOOOOOOOMMMEEEE~~~

Lastly, Eagles scare me :I But this one seems nice enough. And Hawks are always awesome.

concerning the eighth photograph

Comment by Someursault (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 18:29

As I understand it, Ananth already has considerable experience teaming up with Hawks.

EEEEEE!

Comment by Natalia (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 18:31

OMFG! Ssooo adorable!

My brain is confused.

Comment by Hatepig (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 18:49

I cannot decide if a lovey brain damaged owl is adorable, or really, really sad. Is her life nice now at least? D:

I would hope so, we spoil

Comment by Amy (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 19:04

I would hope so, we spoil her rotten!

But it *is* sad-- that's why we teach the public about what can injure the birds in our environment (mostly things humans do), and how to keep other birds from suffering the same fate. Teddy is an ambassador for her species.

Which would make her...

Comment by Hatepig (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 19:13

The sleepiest ambassador.

I too work at a wildlife

Comment by Joy (not verified) Sat, 05/15/2010 - 22:52

I too work at a wildlife education center. We do flight shows with the birds who can still fly but have other issues. Just today our heavily imprinted Barred owl, Ulysses, fell asleep in the middle of the show. Just tilted his head back, ruffed his feathers and decided to snooze in the sun. They are adorable birds, Barreds, unfortunately it's really common down here for them to get hit by cars.

AAAWWW!

Comment by Allison (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 18:55

Aw man, this is my first comment here, and I've been reading this comic since, like, August of last year. /fail

I love owls so much, and those guys are absolutely adorable! It looks like you guys had fun~~

Saw-whets are some of my favorites, too <3 Though my definite favorites are elf owls, they're just too cute!

I want an owl hug! D:>

Comment by Fraoch (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 19:21

I am so envious! It must have been so cool meeting all of those awesome birds! The baby owl Yuko's holding in the last pic is so cute c:
I love owls, but I've never been able to see one as close as that. I love raptors too, but they scare em a little (they always look angry:/ )

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Comment by E (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 20:05

you have absolutely no idea how much this post made me sqwee

BIRDZ O' PREY 4 LYFE!!! -gang signs-

I have never wanted a

Comment by Emily (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 20:25

I have never wanted a half-blind partly brain-damaged owl as much as I do now!! That is too adorable!

Did you guys chose to get

Comment by Kathy (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 20:46

Did you guys chose to get your pictures taken with those specific birds?
I mean:
Ananth & a hawk
The smallest owl & the smallest Yuko.
Hell of a coincidence otherwise!

thanks a lot for destroying the fabric of spacetime guys

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 20:54

Yuko + tiny owl + Beaton!pony = too much cute for one picture, internet now imploding.

Raptors I like!

Comment by Chris D. (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 21:14

Finally, Raptors you don't have to worry about attacking you...well, maybe not, but still! Birds of Prey are awesome. Thanks for the pictures.

....

Comment by MB (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 21:16

Oooooooh my goodness. You guys are just the cutest thing ever. Seriously. Toooo cute!

Raptors are the shiz.

Comment by FG (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 22:17

I was in the Raptor Club through the vet school at my college, and it was the awesomest thing ever! We had a blind adolescent bald eagle named Amicus (Latin for 'friend') because when he got confused he would put his GIANT wing around his handler's shoulders like a buddy, and there was a brain-damaged Great Horned Owl named Paco who would fall asleep on you just like Teddy (they should totally get together and tell falling-asleep stories) and even a little Saw-Whet named Cuare who hated being picked up and would glare at you through her lush feather-eyelashes like no other thing could glare. Raptors are just awesome.

HUTTON

Comment by katt (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 22:24

Hutton just made me go "OMG IT'S SO TINY." to my roommate.

Also, Yuko's hands making their gradual way to the "ZOMG" hands made me giggle.

Omg whaaat. I actually know

Comment by Nineteen (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 23:13

Omg whaaat.

I actually know someone who's volunteering at the Mountsberg Raptor Centre. :O So it's weird to see all this stuff that she's talked about x3

question question!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 23:23

for yuko! are you of mixed race or are you wearing contacts?

also ADORABLE BIRDS

answer answer!

Comment by Aido Thu, 05/13/2010 - 23:42

Hahaha, it'd be pretty silly if I wore contacts AND wore glasses.  XD  Yes, I am mixed race -- my mom is pretty caucasian

Y..Yeah

Comment by y.aido (not verified) Wed, 06/16/2010 - 20:55

Stressing the importance of my mega-white mom because I'm glad I don't look too Asian. I did get some of the good features to still warrant being branded as the heavily fetishized arm candy Asian women are classified for the pleasure and the needed attention of gentlemen (AmIrite, Ananth?).

That looks completely

Comment by Aperture (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 23:31

That looks completely awesome!

OMG

Comment by Bo Ekman (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 23:44

How cute!!! I want a bird!!! :)

Daaaaw~!

Comment by applejuiceboxmonster (not verified) Fri, 05/14/2010 - 00:22

I love owls so much! And that owl hug was so freaking cute~

Animals ftw!

Comment by King_Bahamut (not verified) Fri, 05/14/2010 - 00:33

Well, birds in this case, also was that an eye of Ananth?(^^)