Mountsberg Raptor Centre!

Mountsberg Raptor Centre!

Thu, 05/13/2010 - 15:24 by Ananth in response to visiting the mountsberg raptor centre

Last Monday, after TCAF, we got to go to the Mountsberg Raptor Institute. Yuko's longtime friend Amy showed us around, telling us a lot about the birds and allowing us to hold several of them. Some pictures from the visit below,

This is Teddy, the star of today's strip - she's the friendliest owl you'll ever meet. If you hold her for a while she'll lean into you and fall asleep - totally cute.

Awww yeaaah.

This is Amy and Pawgwa, an adolescent bald eagle. She doesn't like guys (me) and in order to drive them off she uses a warning call which actually sounds like a low-pitch GRONK.

Pawgwa's wingspan is huge.

Majestic.

This was when Teddy was falling asleep on TK. D'aww.

That's a lovely scarf you have, Miz TK.

Takenya is my homegirl. She's a red-tailed hawk. Hark, danger over the ridge!

Don't eat Otis! Otis is a screech owl born with only one eye - you can't see the other one from this angle, but it's a milky proto-eye. I kept calling him Odin.

We are totally ready to fight some bad guys.

The last owl we met was Hutton. He's a sahwet owl, the smallest species of owl in North America. His eyes are so big! Or maybe the rest of him is just mega tiny.

That was our trip to Mountsberg! I'll be posting more photos over on Flickr at some point this week - I'll link to 'em when I do. Hope you guys enjoyed the pics!

Comments

"Eye of Ananth" LOL That

Comment by Aaron (not verified) Sun, 05/16/2010 - 02:16

"Eye of Ananth"

LOL That sounds like something Indiana Jones would go on a quest for :)

Soo adorable o____o....

Comment by PT (not verified) Fri, 05/14/2010 - 01:25

Soo adorable o____o....

So awesome!

Comment by Elizabeth B (not verified) Fri, 05/14/2010 - 01:34

What a great experience. I'm happy you guys got to do that. You do look ready to fight bad guys! The Raptor Squad to the rescue?

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

Comment by MentalUproar (not verified) Fri, 05/14/2010 - 02:45

Teddy is adorable!

SO CUTE!

Comment by Miranda (not verified) Fri, 05/14/2010 - 05:07

<3 Teddy and Hutton are so freaking cute. I envy you.

Those are some amazing

Comment by Pikman (not verified) Fri, 05/14/2010 - 05:23

Those are some amazing birds! I want a Hutton D:

That last owl is so cute! In

Comment by Quinton Quayle (not verified) Fri, 05/14/2010 - 05:47

That last owl is so cute! In the words of Jeremy Clarkson "Swaheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!"

That is so adorable. We

Comment by Vaala (not verified) Fri, 05/14/2010 - 05:55

That is so adorable. We have a birds of prey center down here in Florida, but the birds are nowhere near as docile as the ones you took pictures with. XD I'd probably freak out if an owl suddenly fell asleep on me.

If they were cyborg birds

Comment by Chase Niemitalo (not verified) Fri, 05/14/2010 - 06:54

If they were cyborg birds you would all totally have qualified as replacements for the Silverhawks.

Nightvision

Comment by Fluxfox (not verified) Fri, 05/14/2010 - 07:23

Hutton's pupils are so large even in daylight! Damn that bird has some super night vision.

and Sleepy cuddle owls for the win.

nice haha

Comment by project.9c5 (not verified) Fri, 05/14/2010 - 10:54

nice haha

Birds of Prey

Comment by Emily C. (not verified) Fri, 05/14/2010 - 11:29

I checked J.W. at the office today, and every came over to marvel and squee at the awesome owl pictures. You guys are so lucky! Conrad, Alex, and I are envious that you got to meet all those cool birds.

Birdies!

Comment by Marty (not verified) Fri, 05/14/2010 - 12:15

I'm an avid bird watcher, so these awesome pictures made my day. =D We have a bird sanctuary and raptor center here in STL, but I don't think any of them are as docile as that owl, except maybe a couple of the non-raptors.

ZOMG!!!

Comment by Monkie (not verified) Fri, 05/14/2010 - 12:41

A) They are so adorable!!! I wish I could have a sahwet owl!! CUTE!!! >..<
and
B) 8th photo, WE CAN SEE ANANTH'S EYES!! Wow... Actually, I figured they'd be pretty bad... He has pretty eyes from what I can see... LOL His glasses look like mine... ~.~ I'm a geek.... LOL

So. Cute. *melts*

Comment by Stacye (not verified) Fri, 05/14/2010 - 12:59

So. Cute. *melts*

Hutton rules

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 05/14/2010 - 13:21

I love saw-whet owls! I see them in PA a lot. For some reason every time I see them though, they are standing along the side of the road. I am tempted to stop one day and ask if it needs a ride.

How come everything, that

Comment by Some kid named Otis (not verified) Fri, 05/14/2010 - 13:52

How come everything, that isnt human, has the same name as me?

Otis - The Cow
Otis - The Dog
(Odie - the dog)
Otis - The Owl
Otis - The annoying janitor from dead rising

But there is Otis Redding...

*dies from the cute*

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 05/14/2010 - 13:53

*dies from the cute*

OH GOD

Comment by Ryn (not verified) Fri, 05/14/2010 - 14:51

THE CUTE.
I don't think I can handle that much cute in one sitting.
owl hug~~~~

Living in Montana, I see a

Comment by Erin L. (not verified) Fri, 05/14/2010 - 18:15

Living in Montana, I see a lot of raptors -- we've got bald eagles galore, ospreys, owls and even falcons (including a few peregrine falcons here and there further up the mountains).

Thought you might find these interesting:

through owl3.JPG

As they're little owlets of indeterminate species and they are adorable (mama dislikes us photographing, though, so we have to be careful) and on our property.

Those aren't indeterminate.

Comment by Amy (not verified) Sat, 05/15/2010 - 18:21

Those aren't indeterminate. They're Great Horned Owls. ;)

Thank you for the ID!

Comment by Erin L (not verified) Mon, 05/17/2010 - 00:01

Thank you for the ID! They're all out of the nest now, too. :D

:D

Comment by Rozelynn (not verified) Fri, 05/14/2010 - 19:53

Omg that is the COOLEST owl ever! I literally squee'd when I saw the pictures of Teddy and the rest. Soooo darn cute!

Join the club!

Comment by Hikki536 (not verified) Fri, 05/14/2010 - 19:56

I'm gonna go SQUEEEE too! Teddy's a boy's name, though isn't it? Bah, that doesn't matter! The way she lies on people's shoulder and sleep just like that :D
The whole owl talk also reminded me of that Hark!A Vagrant comic about how wise an owl is.

Volunteering

Comment by Dave (not verified) Fri, 05/14/2010 - 23:19

aaaaaaand now my girlfriend has signed up to volunteer at a local raptor center on weekends. Thanks, JW! XD

That girl and her dinosaurs. *shakes head*

I think what I like most

Comment by pleb (not verified) Sat, 05/15/2010 - 05:27

I think what I like most about this is the fact that you could have easily just copy and pasted Ananth in those panels, but instead you drew him in the same pose in each panel. It's little things like that which show you don't take any cheap shortcuts. :3

She hand draws the panels, I

Comment by Jonathan (not verified) Sat, 05/15/2010 - 14:02

She hand draws the panels, I saw her sketchbook and was floored at this notion. I mean, there are some editing in post, like the shading. Yeah, she truly is an artist, through and through.

Mountsberg is awesome. I'm

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 05/15/2010 - 13:58

Mountsberg is awesome. I'm so glad you guys were able to visit, and from the looks of things, you guys seemed to have a pretty awesome time with all the owls there. Glad you had fun in Canada. ^_^

Those drawings of the birds

Comment by Jonathan (not verified) Sat, 05/15/2010 - 14:03

Those drawings of the birds are adorable. Have you guys thought of working something out with the Centre to make little pins of the birds I would buy a set in a heartbeat.

That second to last one is a

Comment by MX (not verified) Sat, 05/15/2010 - 14:28

That second to last one is a really nice picture.

They all look great, but that one really pop out.

-_-

Comment by Joe D. (not verified) Sat, 05/15/2010 - 17:09

Dear Yuko and Ananth:

Please write a how-to on becoming hip young Webcomic Gods living a life of pure, concentrated awesome sauce.

OWLS!

Comment by Athena (not verified) Sat, 05/15/2010 - 22:57

Dang, now I want me a disabled owl.

I feel confused...

Comment by Y-bot (not verified) Sun, 05/16/2010 - 07:52

Go brain damage? THAT SOUNDS SO AWFUL

omigosh omigosh!

Comment by Daniel (not verified) Sun, 05/16/2010 - 09:32

It's been a while since I've seen something like that. Those birds are adorable!

Odin would have been more appropriate than Otis anyway, yeah?

Not really. His name is

Comment by Amy (not verified) Mon, 05/17/2010 - 09:18

Not really. His name is 'Otus', which, at the time of his naming, was the genus of the Eastern Screech-owl (full latin name was "Otus asio"). Pretty topical, I'd say!

Buuuuuuuut!

Comment by Ruthie (not verified) Tue, 05/18/2010 - 01:00

But but but but - owls are considered 'wise' animals, right? And Odin is the Norse God of wisdom. Plus, he only has one eye! I'd say both are equally fitting. :)

Ehhh....

Comment by Amy (not verified) Wed, 05/19/2010 - 19:06

"Considered" wise, perhaps... but depending on the species, the eyeballs can take up nearly three-quarters of the space in their skulls. They're not the smartest of birds, as a result!

CUTENESS

Comment by Sophia (not verified) Mon, 05/17/2010 - 00:23

Omg, I love all the poses/expressions you used and those creatures are just adorable and magnificent! And it's so cute and funny that the owl sleeps on you (in such a baby, human way)!!!

I love this...soooo much...

Comment by Nico (not verified) Mon, 05/17/2010 - 01:22

I love this...soooo much...

SO MUCH CUTE

Comment by KerouacCat (not verified) Mon, 05/17/2010 - 11:39

OMG Yuko's so cute D:

Also, I want an unusually docile owl that will hug me D;

Hey there! Nice hooters! I

Comment by Doc N (not verified) Mon, 05/17/2010 - 11:54

Hey there! Nice hooters!

I can't believe no one made that joke yet.

Those are great pictures! When my sister and I were kids, we used to go on yearly camping trips to Stone Valley, where they had a sanctuary for hurt birds, most of them the victims of malicious shooting. The saddest to my mind was a beautiful great horned owl that had been kept as a pet in a cage so small that he couldn't ever spread his wings, and consequently never built any strength in them and could never learn to fly. He couldn't be around other birds, either, but he had a great huge cage like a terrarium with things for him to climb on so he could get around. You could really tell the keepers loved him and made his life as happy as possible. I visited another sanctuary in Florida where they had rescued a pelican whose bill some evil idiot had SAWN OFF FOR NO REASON. They made the pelican a prosthetic bill! How amazing is that? I'm so glad that there are good people who help these beautiful animals.

i just started picking up on

Comment by jordan (not verified) Tue, 05/18/2010 - 13:41

i just started picking up on these and wow u do great drawing of yourself and everyone else they look exactly like the pictures

Gorsh you're cute Yuko!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 05/18/2010 - 19:06

Gorsh you're cute Yuko!

Not even gonna lie. I google

Comment by Freakazoid (not verified) Wed, 05/19/2010 - 01:15

Not even gonna lie. I google Mountsberg Raptor Centre. I was supremely disappointed when I found out it was in Ontario. .
....
.........ROAD TRIP!!!!

OMG

Comment by Nagrul (not verified) Thu, 05/20/2010 - 00:09

This is t3h awesome! Holy cow! :O I'm so green with envy, but it's so bad-a$$ that you guys gat to do this!! Keep it up :D

lol omg yuko i'm crapping

Comment by jowy (not verified) Thu, 05/20/2010 - 07:08

lol omg yuko i'm crapping myself you're so cute askdhaskd i'm cryin!!!!!!

lol omg yuko i'm crapping

Comment by jowy (not verified) Thu, 05/20/2010 - 07:08

lol omg yuko i'm crapping myself you're so cute askdhaskd i'm cryin!!!!!!

MOUNTSBERG FTW

Comment by scott (not verified) Thu, 05/20/2010 - 19:33

The whole Bruce Trail/Golden Horseshoe/Mountsberg/Lake Kelso is one of those cherished childhood memories for me. Although I've since traded hiking for the TTC...

p.s., Yuko, I could be your giant twin. I think we even have the same sweater.

<3 the hooters. Not Barn

Comment by Gutrot (not verified) Mon, 05/24/2010 - 23:03

<3 the hooters.

Not Barn Owls though. Fuckers are creepy.

oh hell.

Comment by David Bodek (not verified) Thu, 06/17/2010 - 19:45

I HAVE BEEN SLAIN BY THE CUTE. Dear lord. Stop trying to make my brain explode by combining the majesty of raptors with the overwhelmingly cute owls.

Anyways, I love your peoples' work and I'll keep reading/buying things when I get the money to for as long as you keep going. YOU ALL RULE.