Mountsberg Raptor Centre!

Mountsberg Raptor Centre!

Thu, 05/13/2010 - 15:24 by Ananth in response to visiting the mountsberg raptor centre

Last Monday, after TCAF, we got to go to the Mountsberg Raptor Institute. Yuko's longtime friend Amy showed us around, telling us a lot about the birds and allowing us to hold several of them. Some pictures from the visit below,

This is Teddy, the star of today's strip - she's the friendliest owl you'll ever meet. If you hold her for a while she'll lean into you and fall asleep - totally cute.

Awww yeaaah.

This is Amy and Pawgwa, an adolescent bald eagle. She doesn't like guys (me) and in order to drive them off she uses a warning call which actually sounds like a low-pitch GRONK.

Pawgwa's wingspan is huge.

Majestic.

This was when Teddy was falling asleep on TK. D'aww.

That's a lovely scarf you have, Miz TK.

Takenya is my homegirl. She's a red-tailed hawk. Hark, danger over the ridge!

Don't eat Otis! Otis is a screech owl born with only one eye - you can't see the other one from this angle, but it's a milky proto-eye. I kept calling him Odin.

We are totally ready to fight some bad guys.

The last owl we met was Hutton. He's a sahwet owl, the smallest species of owl in North America. His eyes are so big! Or maybe the rest of him is just mega tiny.

That was our trip to Mountsberg! I'll be posting more photos over on Flickr at some point this week - I'll link to 'em when I do. Hope you guys enjoyed the pics!

Comments

I 'awww'ed SO MUCH over this

Comment by Elkian (not verified) Mon, 06/28/2010 - 15:37

I 'awww'ed SO MUCH over this update.

I WANT TO GO TO THERE

Comment by Mokitty (not verified) Wed, 07/07/2010 - 00:59

AHHH THOSE OWLS. I want an owl. An itty bitty one. So anyway I finally found you guys and I've been digging through the archives and it'll be TORTURE when I get up to the most recent comic 'cause then I'll have to wait for anotherrrrrrrr.

I feel like if I knew you guys in real life you'd think I was a little annoying 'cause most people that don't really know me think that, but you'd probably hang out with my sister and that'd piss me off. I'd like to think that we'd be friends, but if I was more realistic... Who knows! YOU GUYS SHOULD COME TO SOMETHING IN TEXAS SO I CAN MEET YOOOOOOU! <3 (Long comment is long...)

P.S. John is my favorite, based on what I see in the comic. I mean, you all rock... but John is the best. And your cats remind me of mine. One is Lucy and she runs from everyone but me. And then Tibby loves everyone and drools when she gets really happy. Which is all the time. And she hugs people. She's a slut for human affection. Anyway. END OF COMMENT FOR REALS THIS TIME.

Someone at Mountsberg really

Comment by blunt_logic (not verified) Sun, 08/15/2010 - 22:47

Someone at Mountsberg really likes you to let you get so close to those birds; you definitely got the VIP treatment. When I went there as a kid they had a great horned owl who thought that she was a person and tried to mate with one of the staffers every year. It was both adorable and sad. It's one of my favorite GTA conservation areas.

Your photos as reference

Comment by Brittany (not verified) Mon, 08/23/2010 - 14:45

I don't know if you would mind or not, so I'm asking. Your photos that you have posted in your comments would make some great reference and I wanted to ask for your permissions to use them as such. I doubt I'll check back the comment, so if you could email me with the answer, I'd appreciate it. =3

badges and owls

Comment by thatguy1280 (not verified) Sun, 09/19/2010 - 06:44

is that a kate beaton pony badge i see yuko wearing? also, i want an owl now. i reaaaalllllllly want an owl

Birds of Prey

Comment by Hippy Hobbit (not verified) Thu, 09/23/2010 - 11:41

There was this wee set of birds of prey where you could get your photos taken with them. I got my picture taken holding a huge sea eagle. I was like 7 so it was as big as me. My sister took a tiny little owl called Oscar, the smallest bird there.

<3!!

Comment by supajupa (not verified) Fri, 12/03/2010 - 14:52

SO CUTE! ;A;

I wanna nuzzle the snuggle-owl!

The Bird Guy

Comment by Puck (not verified) Tue, 01/04/2011 - 09:32

The more I hear about raptor/bird centers the more I think mayhaps I must go to one.

I am, however, forcibly reminded of The Bird Guy (http://www.thebirdguyhawaii.com) and his adorable cockatoo Q.T. (whom I have since learned has passed away. :'[ )
This bird was one of the sweetest creatures I'd ever met (I really wanted to take her home!). I picked her up -- and she proceeded to butt her head against my chest and just stay like that, which I supposed was her way of cuddling. It was also adorable.

Also, the lovebirds kept trying to eat my dad's bathing suit. It was pretty damn funny. He set it down on a log and they'd run straight to it. (Then he moved it. They ran towards it again. Yes, ran. Tiny birds, down off their perches, waddling over to his swim trunks.)

Déjà vu

Comment by MoreKilmer (not verified) Sat, 01/22/2011 - 20:07

I was working near the Barred Owl handler at the zoo I work at. Oh gosh, this brought up a bunch of memories fuzzier than eight-week old cheese. We have a couple of one-eyed owls, though neither were born that way. Teddy looks like a sweetheart!

Eee~

Comment by Shana&Soot (not verified) Sat, 02/05/2011 - 22:28

Hutton reminds me so much of my owl, Soot! X3 (I have the permits and such, he hit my window during a snowstorm and grew on me. ;A;)
Raptors are so incredible~ The enclosure near me isn't nearly as good as that one, though, but they've worked wonders in helping me with my little feathered friend.
He's also buddies with my cats... After he showed them their place. XD Though, they didn't happen to mention anything to help with damaged/chipping beaks, did they? The enclosure helping me out hasn't found a case of a cracked beak like Soot has, so they don't know what's needed. If you know, we would be very thankful shared the name. <3

You can toss me an email at

Comment by Amy (not verified) Sat, 03/12/2011 - 19:55

You can toss me an email at avadavat @ gmail.com, and I can see what I can do! I'm the gal with the eagle, above. :)

oooohhhhhh. that makes me

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sun, 05/29/2011 - 17:31

oooohhhhhh. that makes me want to run over all the owls in the world with my car

so cute

Comment by nico (not verified) Wed, 06/22/2011 - 09:25

so cute

Zonked Owl

Comment by JET73L (not verified) Wed, 09/14/2011 - 22:36

Gah! Teddy! Adorable! Grammar... failing... Cuteness proximity... too much...

Everyone is awesome! In the modern sense. Cool Author Yuko may be awesome in the classic sense, but Sleepy Owl Teddy definitely is.

Pictures

Comment by AnonymousEponymousBob (not verified) Sat, 04/21/2012 - 21:29

You're a Wizard, Yuko!

I actually saw these guys at

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sun, 04/29/2012 - 23:08

I actually saw these guys at a crab festival that's near my house, I didn't get to hold them but the were indeed adorable XD

Superb blog! Do you have any

Comment by Loida Kubicki (not verified) Tue, 10/23/2012 - 11:35

Superb blog! Do you have any helpful hints for aspiring writers? I'm hoping to start my own site soon but I'm a little lost on everything. Would you suggest starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I'm totally overwhelmed .. Any ideas? Appreciate it! Loida Kubicki