Ambulance Cat Redux

Ambulance Cat Redux

Tue, 05/18/2010 - 18:47 by Ananth in response to so it wouldn't be all that different

Reminiscent of this comic, we have pulled the veil back a little further. If Rook wants food, he lets you know. And know. And know. Sometimes when he meows like that we meow back, matching him for length and pitch, but it just turns into a contest and the cat always wins. He's a pro.

John wants to take a video of Rook and auto-tune it. I think I'd just hit mute.

If you've been to the store recently, you know all the tees are sold out. We just ordered a run of ZooLOLogy, PaleontoLOLgy and Mawzantine Crest - we'll let you know when they arrive. There are still Basilisk Tote bags and a few Maw keychains left, and I'll be adding some new items this week - we have a couple of Pony Rocks left, and a set of bookmarks for your page-marking needs.

Back to work for us! I'm working on a certain book. ;)

Comments

hell i would listen to rook

Comment by oz (not verified) Tue, 05/18/2010 - 18:51

hell i would listen to rook auto-tuned just to see what it sounds like.

Ha ha ha

Comment by Louie (not verified) Tue, 05/18/2010 - 18:57

Have you seen that one video where some dude autotunes all these cat videos?? It's beautiful. *-*

LOOK LISTEN

Comment by Michael J. (not verified) Tue, 05/18/2010 - 19:06

Your cat is like Navi.

LOOK LISTEN

HEEY! LISTEN! i'm hungry.

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 05/19/2010 - 20:02

HEEY! LISTEN!
i'm hungry.

yay ZooLOLogy!! I hope I

Comment by Alcedine (not verified) Tue, 05/18/2010 - 19:12

yay ZooLOLogy!! I hope I manage to snag one before they sell out again! :)

(and omgyesplz to auto-tuning rook! XD)

(No worries about the

Comment by Ananth Wed, 05/19/2010 - 00:22

(No worries about the double-post! I took care of it. :) )

DO IT NAO

Comment by Nate (not verified) Tue, 05/18/2010 - 19:21

AUTO TUNE THAT CAT, FOR GREAT JUSTICE!!!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 05/19/2010 - 11:21

Thank you for that amazing reference. You just made my day :)

Autotuned cat = victory

Comment by PleasingFungus (not verified) Tue, 05/18/2010 - 19:30

I desperately wish for this to occur.

Whoa...

Comment by Kosciej (not verified) Tue, 05/18/2010 - 19:31

Ananth, you wear your hat to bed? That must be terribly uncomfortable.

IT MUST HAPPEN!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 05/18/2010 - 20:08

Let John autotune Rook! Or just show us an adorable kitty video! Either way, KITTY KITTY KITTY! (How obvious is it that we had to give my cat to a shelter because of my dad's allergies? OhmygoodnessIwantacat!)

Yay More Boring Autobio Comics With Cats

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 05/18/2010 - 20:09

Really. This pattern of endlessly trite autobio comics and then a blip of a good, original story followed by more boring-ass autobio comics is lame.

You're lives are boring and unfunny. Yes, even more so when you got the fucking cat. Jean Tisdale might love these comics but you all are wasting your talents showing this stuff.

Get back to real stories and your readers will take you more seriously.

Research "Hug" On The Tech Tree

Comment by Hatepig (not verified) Tue, 05/18/2010 - 20:24

Why are you so angry? D-did an autobio comic kill your family? Are you Batman?

Uhh... I hope you realize

Comment by Nik (not verified) Tue, 05/18/2010 - 20:49

Uhh... I hope you realize the comic was sort of an autobiography first and the short stories were experiments. This might have changed now, but most of us are here because we like the vast majority of the comics, including this one, quite a bit.

Well, someone drank their

Comment by Lancer2010 (not verified) Tue, 05/18/2010 - 21:15

Well, someone drank their hater-ade this morning.

As mentioned above, the autobio comics came first. I know for a fact that I started reading this comic because I enjoyed the autobio comics. The story comics didn't start until the site had been up for almost a year.

Here's a simple piece of advice, if you don't like what you're reading, then don't read it.

To Ananth and Yuko, I for one enjoy the direction of the comic. Keep up the great work.

Thanks for the nice words

Comment by Ananth Wed, 05/19/2010 - 00:36

Thanks for the nice words guys - no worries, s/he's welcome to his/her opinion.

There's compliments hidden in that comment, and I appreciate it.

The fact of the matter is is that we'd prefer to be doing fiction all of the time - there's scripts for more shorts on the shelf. Problem is, we have clients - example: besides JW, Yuko is working on two different books simultaneously. When we have work, there's a much higher chance of autobio comics ... Yuko's not a machine, and it's clear people like our autobio stuff, so we're not going to feel bad about doing them and we're certainly not going to apologize for it. It's too bad you don't like the autobio strips, but we gotta do what we gotta do.

Don't stop!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 05/19/2010 - 10:56

Don't stop with the autobio! they actually tend to be the best strips, and, while i liked "the girl with the skeleton hand" and that basilisk thing the name of which i forget, the true heart of you're comic is the silly stories from you're lives. i know you wont change, but i just wanted to say something because of that angryperson up there.

You and Yuko should do

Comment by A-NYA-nymous (not verified) Wed, 05/19/2010 - 11:58

You and Yuko should do Thursday's comic filled with blatant emphasis on your autobiographic adventures (roomie shenanigans, cats, landlord wackiness, and extra cats) to rub it in that creep's face.

Why waste a comic on burning on a troll?

Comment by importantcriminal (not verified) Wed, 05/19/2010 - 13:13

I really doubt they'd waste a comic just to "own" some angry fan.

Don't insinuate that Yuko and Ananthy are petty people - because they are not.

This sounds like an immature

Comment by Aperture (not verified) Fri, 05/21/2010 - 21:35

This sounds like an immature way to get back at someone.

Oh! I love this comic. I

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 12/18/2010 - 11:17

Oh! I love this comic. I love Spacklehaus and Rook and Nutella and video games and vegetarians and cicadas and coffee tables and board games and everything you guys do.

Too bad you failed the class

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 05/19/2010 - 22:11

Too bad you failed the class where they told you the proper usage of your/you're.

Agree to Agree

Comment by Halbert (not verified) Tue, 05/25/2010 - 22:46

I have to say that I agree with Mr. Anonymous (and Yuko) that JW's fiction is far more entertaining than the autobiographical work. Do I know that Ananth and Yuko can do (and are doing) better work than this? Yes. Do I think that Fallen was, by far, a much more enjoyable and impressive comic than JW? Hell yes. Will any of that stop me from driving 2 1/2 hours to see them at ConnectiCon in a couple months? Absolutly not.

The comic is what it is, whether we like it or not.

He isn't very talkative now

Comment by PT (not verified) Tue, 05/18/2010 - 20:27

He isn't very talkative now is he?

Other than that, I have no comment o_o...

*SNORT* Ananth why are you

Comment by Chelsea (not verified) Tue, 05/18/2010 - 20:29

*SNORT* Ananth why are you sleeping with your hat on?? XD

His hat is a part of his

Comment by Jack K (not verified) Tue, 05/18/2010 - 23:09

His hat is a part of his head, obviously.

I have figured it out! His

Comment by Canon (not verified) Wed, 05/19/2010 - 03:51

I have figured it out! His hat is actually his hair... He uses a can of spray every day to hold it in place!

As determined previously

Comment by orcishincubus (not verified) Wed, 05/19/2010 - 11:59

As determined previously from AG, the hat is, in fact, Ananth. The rest of Ananth's body is just a shell to be controlled by the hat.

That's a new definition of

Comment by Kriztov (not verified) Thu, 05/20/2010 - 10:58

That's a new definition of the term "Hat Hair"

Another one for autotuning

Comment by Mark314 (not verified) Tue, 05/18/2010 - 20:58

Another one for autotuning Rook, we need that noooooow.

Clearly...

Comment by Joe D. (not verified) Tue, 05/18/2010 - 22:03

Yuko is the only one with the power to grant noms.

LoL @ guy whinging about

Comment by Corteks (not verified) Tue, 05/18/2010 - 22:27

LoL @ guy whinging about "unfunny autobio comics." There are plenty of crazy comics out there to read. Personally I love Johnny Wander for it's simplicity and it's ability to see humour in the simple things in life. I've got friends who think it's unfunny and friends who think it's awesome, each to their own. Personally I love the cat comics because I love cats and find their peculiar little behaviors amusing, while also being reminded of my own various kitties. Something to be said about humour borne from similar experience I think.

Anyway I really came to comment to say AUTOTUNE ROOK! There are certainly far worse things that could be autotuned :p

Oh and vocal cats must be meowed back at. MUST! :p

there was a far side comic with a similar concept

Comment by idonthack (not verified) Tue, 05/18/2010 - 22:27

i don't know if you were referencing it or if you are unaware. pirate copy for all to enjoy: http://i.imgur.com/46dWg.jpg

oh man, you're heralding

Comment by justa (not verified) Tue, 05/18/2010 - 22:35

oh man, you're heralding back to one of the greats (in my estimation, anyway):

omigosh!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 05/19/2010 - 10:59

that's what i thought of too!

i kinda know how's that

Comment by mura (not verified) Tue, 05/18/2010 - 22:44

i used to have a cat that loved to hear his own voice!
thing is, he used to do the ambulance meow for no real reason, no matter if he was hungry or anything, he would get in the hallway with an echo and meow away!

Wow.

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 05/18/2010 - 22:52

And here I thought my cat was very vocal. When he's active, our orange tabby meows at everything and more at us, if we didn't get used to it, we would run to his rescue since he makes those death meows daily. Our doesn't even want food, we refill their bowls each morning, ours just wants attention and petting. Then when he's relaxed, he does a "mrrr" if we walk close or touch him. No way we can't know he's around.

The himalayan on the other hand... if she does meow, she only opens her mouth, no sound.

I love cat meows, so allow Rook to be heard on youtube.

Here's Winston being vocal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcmcos_9h3k

Forgot my name.

Comment by Puncho (not verified) Tue, 05/18/2010 - 22:53

Durr.

Food!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 05/18/2010 - 22:57

I just make sure my cat's food bowl always has food in it! I haven't really had much trouble with them overeating, although if you had a cat that liked to, you couldn't do that.

Unless, of course, Rook is crying for snacks other than his cat food. Mine do that all the time, but if I give something to them, they wont eat it anyway. Even meat, strangely enough.

we tried the leaving cat

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 05/19/2010 - 11:20

we tried the leaving cat food out all the time thing...ours just wolfed down the entire bowl so fast she made herself sick...on the roof of my car...

there are now set kitty feeding times.

My cat is exactly like Rook

Comment by Novachi (not verified) Tue, 05/18/2010 - 23:58

My cat is exactly like Rook there. Even though her food is out 24/7, she always has to have someone (that someone being me) touch it no matter what time of the day it is. And it doesn't help that her food bowl is all the way down in the basement.
I'm starting to wonder if meowing back in response, as I do that too, doesn't just make things worse.

Cat noises

Comment by nyditch (not verified) Tue, 05/18/2010 - 23:58

You just reminded me of a compilation of a few of the noises my cat Pipsqueak makes. She was very interested in the microphone.

My cat is the same way, only

Comment by Schadenfreude (not verified) Wed, 05/19/2010 - 00:35

My cat is the same way, only it's "BLAIRBLAIRBLAIRBLAIR HEY HEY BLAIR BLAIR I WANT TO GO OUT THERE'S A BIRD HEY HEY BLAIR"

HEY HEY PEOPLE. PEOPLE I'M DOWN HERE. HEY!

Comment by Fraoch (not verified) Wed, 05/19/2010 - 01:34

With mine it's "HEY. HEY I'M BORED PAY ATTENTION TO ME. HEY HEY HUMANS I WANNA GO OUTSIDE I THINK. HEY WHY ARE YO OPENING THE DOOR? HEY!"
After which my dad yells at him to shut up and runs away for a whole 5 minutes before it starts up again lol

This thread

Comment by Elizabeth B (not verified) Thu, 05/20/2010 - 01:00

Wins so hard. It made me LOL, srsly.

for us whiney black cat owners

Comment by bluescale (not verified) Wed, 05/19/2010 - 01:41

The youtube video for you guys and Rook. (It's short but hypnotic and yes, black cat related.)

I hope you know this had me

Comment by C. Ellis (not verified) Wed, 05/19/2010 - 14:16

I hope you know this had me on my bum laughing SO hard. ^__^;;;;;; It had all my cats (there's 6 of them, half of which are black <3 ) wondering WTH is that?!?!?! XD So awesome.
Thank you for sharing that. :)

It's the little things like vids like that and awesome auto-bio comics (a plus with black kitties) that make life awesome. So please keep up the wonderful work Johnny Wander folks~! You rock. :D

Ow, my abs.

Comment by Elizabeth B (not verified) Thu, 05/20/2010 - 01:06

Laughed my head off. OTOH, my cats were all OMGWTFPOLARBEAR WHAT IS THAT??! ALERT ALERT ALERT ALL HANDS TO BATTLESTATIONS.

They're still watching in their best-guess direction for the unknown interloper.

I do that with my cats all

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 05/19/2010 - 02:33

I do that with my cats all the time. The talking, I mean. I like to think we're discussing philosophy. Or astronomy.

If you want some more