FOOMP

FOOMP

Thu, 06/03/2010 - 18:01 by Ananth in response to but we were out of lighter fluid

is the sound it made.

If this feels familiar, that's because it is. The barbecue mushrooming actually happened back when Aaron visited, but it didn't come up recently because of the bookshelf incident. Oh god, does that count as continuity? I'm so sorry.

A lot of people (John) have adventures with fire, and they're always a terrible idea and horribly dangerous. That being said, I happened to be part of an build-savvy group of friends, and we had a couple of adventures. We sprayed balls of paper with lighter fluid and shot them out of a three-man slingshot right in the evening after it rained - they were like small fiery comets and at dusk it was magical. A couple of my friends built a car-mounted crossbow, and we built potato cannons two or three times - we had them taken away at least once. Oh, the memories. Oh, the near-misses.

Have a good weekend!

Comments

Turbo-Grillin'

Comment by Jiminiminy (not verified) Thu, 06/03/2010 - 18:27

I'm sure that if the flame was less volatile, the fire would at least marinate whatever was being grilled in alchohol fumes. Maybe you would've been better off just siphoning gas from a car?

Yeah. except cooking food

Comment by Victor Khaze (not verified) Thu, 06/03/2010 - 18:57

Yeah. except cooking food over gasoline is a HORRIBLE IDEA.

Darn right! One of the

Comment by Reynard (not verified) Thu, 06/03/2010 - 20:57

Darn right! One of the additives in gasoline is benzene (a known carcinogen) which, IIRC, can "coat" foods as a by-product of incomplete combustion.

I believe that he was being

Comment by Well, (not verified) Sat, 06/05/2010 - 12:14

I believe that he was being sarcastic.

The original poster must not

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 06/05/2010 - 21:02

The original poster must not be familiar with cooking with charcoal. You have to let the coals burn for a while before you can use them. If anything the alcohol would cook off faster than lighter fluid would.

Foomp!

Comment by Victor Khaze (not verified) Thu, 06/03/2010 - 18:55

Oh god that is the EXACT sound a bbq mushroom cloud makes. You are just lucky it was a FOOMP and not FOOSH! FOOSH's are fucking dangerous!

My eyebrow can testify to this.

Comment by ElJoe0 (not verified) Mon, 06/07/2010 - 15:03

I now have learned never to mess with flammable liquids and BBQ's

Why?

Comment by BurntToShreds (not verified) Thu, 06/03/2010 - 19:02

Why would you let John have access to that kind of equipment? You guys should really get a John-proof safe for everyone's sake. Make sure it's not from IKEA though.

Ever try putting rubbing

Comment by Raptorix (not verified) Thu, 06/03/2010 - 19:10

Ever try putting rubbing alcohol in a METAL coffee can and lighting it? I've heard stories of chemistry undergrads roasting hotdogs in their dorm rooms with such a setup.

It works

Comment by Aperture (not verified) Fri, 06/04/2010 - 22:44

It works

You dissapoint me. You want

Comment by Nemo (not verified) Thu, 06/03/2010 - 20:33

You dissapoint me.

You want a good, semi-apocalyptic mushroom (and have a fair chance at surviving it)? Do as the movies do.

Use naftaline.

I think you mean naphtha,

Comment by katt (not verified) Fri, 06/04/2010 - 18:01

I think you mean naphtha, and not naphthalene (judging from the spelling).

The former is the explosive stuff (wikipedia cites it as the most volatile and lightest liquid fraction of petroleum), and the latter is what they use in moth balls.

BBQ tasting like mothballs? No thank you!

Both one and the same :)

Comment by Nemo (not verified) Sun, 06/06/2010 - 22:37

Thanks for the spelling correction =D never used it before, so didnt exactly knew about the word in english.

And both naphtha and naphthalene are one and the same ;) so yes, you might have some highly potentially explosive stuff in your closet right now.

Eugh. My bad

Comment by Nemo (not verified) Sun, 06/06/2010 - 22:41

I STAND CORRECTED!!

naphtha and naphthalene are not the same (naphtalene is derivated from the naphtha). Still, YES, mothballs are delicious for simulated explosions, which means:

HUGE fireballs!

Grease fire at a restaurant job

Comment by C.D. Reimer (not verified) Thu, 06/03/2010 - 20:41

I once had a grease fire while working at a restaurant. Not sure what happened. I had a column of fire that was 12" in diameter and two feet tall. Most beautiful thing I ever seen. My boss pushed me aside and turned off the gas.

PREVIOUSLY!, on what looks

Comment by psychogaze (not verified) Thu, 06/03/2010 - 20:57

PREVIOUSLY!, on what looks like the roof from Nick and Norah's Infinte Playlist....
Ah, mushroom clouds, when you know that you're cooking's so good it'll devastate millions! With it's taste.

"Should I wash it with rubbing alcohol?"

Comment by Reynard (not verified) Thu, 06/03/2010 - 21:01

Hydrogen Peroxide is a whole lot less painful, more effective and cheaper.

Yus!

Comment by Jeremy (not verified) Fri, 06/04/2010 - 08:37

Definitely Hydrogen Peroxide. From what I hear, rubbing alcohol burns something awful. Plus Hydrogen Peroxide makes bubbles. Who doesn't like bubbles?

I've been told that betadine

Comment by Aperture (not verified) Fri, 06/04/2010 - 22:46

I've been told that betadine is much better since it doesn't kill off the healthy tissues that are reforming during the healing process.

nice work

Comment by horror movies (not verified) Thu, 11/18/2010 - 04:38

I completely agree with you.........

No, SOAP!!!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Mon, 06/07/2010 - 00:19

Superficial cuts should be washed with SOAP, which is made for killing germs, and lots of water, which is good for mechanically removing bad stuff.
Hydrogen Peroxide is good for deep wounds, because it releases Oxygen, killing the more dangerous anaerobic (oygen hating) bacteria. Both alcohol and peroxide will kill living cells, you're own as well as the bacteria. So will concentrated Betadine. (diliute is ok)

A general rule if you have a boo boo: START WITH SOAP AND WATER!

RE:Soap!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Mon, 06/07/2010 - 09:58

This. The peroxide radicals can do a lot of tissue damage and cross-link DNA; basal carcinomas don't wash off. Use soap.

Bored college students +

Comment by Aube (not verified) Thu, 06/03/2010 - 21:23

Bored college students + kerosene soaked hacky sack = a hoodie with a burnt whole in the hood and several singed jeans. I get the feeling John likes to barbecue just to play with fire.

Not an expert. O_o

Comment by Toad (not verified) Thu, 06/03/2010 - 21:38

This I understand. As a fire spinner, I had to study what fuels I wanted to use. So, alcohol is extremely volatile. With the highest burning temperature of conventional fuels and a low flash point and almost equally low fire point, it must have ignited really fast, hot and with not a lot of flame, so if all the air was suddenly heated and sent outwards then the cold air must have gone in to replace it quickly. Probably producing the FOOMP sound you heard. Lighter fluid's your best bet since it isn't as volatile as naphtha, or as short-burning and low flame of kerosene. Also spares you the smell. >.>

True Story

Comment by Joe D. (not verified) Thu, 06/03/2010 - 22:24

I saw the pic on Mr. Dresden Codak's Twitter!

Do you happen to read the

Comment by theareni (not verified) Thu, 06/03/2010 - 22:58

Do you happen to read the newpaper comic "Crankshaft", about the grumpy school bus driver? The running gag about the grill? John, I hope you're not getting tips from him....

Case in point:

Looks like John needs more...

Comment by Ramiel (not verified) Fri, 06/04/2010 - 02:00

VITAMIN G!

*pours a large tank of gas into the grill and lights it ablaze* >:D

And speaking of cuts and fire, my friend once closed his with a lighter after a small shard of glass sliced him. Ouch D:

DAMMIT JOHN!! D8<

Comment by Fraoch (not verified) Fri, 06/04/2010 - 02:15

Stop trying to burninate everything!

You're friends sound like fun.

Onomatopoeia'd

Comment by T. Ink (not verified) Fri, 06/04/2010 - 02:28

Woah, weird thing. Reading this comic and, without even really thinking about it, when I saw the last panel, I made a 'FOOMP' sound all by myself.

And then I scroll down to see the exact same sound written as the tital of the latest blog post.

Ladies and gentlemen, I do believe I just onomatopoeia'd myself.

Hmm

Comment by Ferret (not verified) Tue, 06/08/2010 - 10:04

You may want to see a doctor about that.
Otherwise you may start onomatopoeing the bed.

Build-savvy firiends

Comment by Matt (not verified) Fri, 06/04/2010 - 08:13

Man, you don't have to tell me. I go to college with engineers. I have participated in the construction of a meat catapult to get rotten meat from a malfunctioning refrigerator to a dumpster.

I also can't spell. Tee-hee.

Comment by Matt (not verified) Fri, 06/04/2010 - 08:14

I also can't spell. Tee-hee.

You guys are my heroes.

Comment by Robert V Aldrich (not verified) Fri, 06/04/2010 - 08:57

You guys are my heroes.

Omg, don't wash it in

Comment by Katsu~ (not verified) Fri, 06/04/2010 - 09:17

Omg, don't wash it in rubbing alcohol! Use hydrogen peroxide, it'll kill the bacteria without killing the healthy healing skin, too.

NOW THAT'S A FIRE

Comment by Drezz (not verified) Fri, 06/04/2010 - 10:12

Oh man - that mushroom cloud reminds me of a story.

Superbowl weekend, we hauled out the BBQ in -30C weather, and a friend of mine decided he would light the BBQ with a lighter via the pilot hole while I turned on the propane tank from underneath.

The last thing I remember hearing before seeing a mini Hiroshima on my front step was "I don't hear any gas flowing" followed by the flick of a flint and a WHOOSH.

My buddy had no eyebrows and a singed touque. We laughed at him ALL night.

you guys shouldnt let John

Comment by DisposablePal (not verified) Fri, 06/04/2010 - 12:13

you guys shouldnt let John around fire, he's gonna burn his eyebrows off. I'm the same way, my roommates wont let me do simple things because i usually end up breaking something or hurting someone. Its like a reverse mutant power. I can take apart and rebuild complex machinery but i cant operate a snow shovel without it breaking.

I feel like based on his

Comment by Samm Neiland (not verified) Fri, 06/04/2010 - 16:48

I feel like based on his pyrophilia alone, John is going to be one of those people who'll survive the zombie apocalypse long enough to start a 4 person rag-tag group of zombie fighters.

I just wonder if he's going to be the one who yells PILLS HERE!

Is this the first time we've

Comment by Cheri (not verified) Fri, 06/04/2010 - 17:23

Is this the first time we've seen John smiling is a comic?

Nope...

Comment by NeoTsunami (not verified) Mon, 06/07/2010 - 10:00

We've seen him swoon and squee maniaclly at coffee tables before too xD And I do believe he smiled those times...maybe...*goes back to check*

oh fire..

Comment by katt (not verified) Fri, 06/04/2010 - 18:09

.. there are a lot of fun things that you can do with alcohol and fire.

By fun, I mean dangerous and cool fire shows. We did some stuff in chem lab (re: burning different kinds of metal solutions for rainbow flames, lighting magnesium strips on fire). We even did a flame test on different alcohol proofs.. and FYI: 80% and above burns almost colorless. I couldn't even tell that the 100% was burning except for the heat waves.

But this is the coolest/stupidest/show offy party trick

Smirnoff Ice Fire Spiral: this one is actually kind of tricky because of all of the water content. Finish off a smirnoff ice/something of equal alcohol content. Have the lighter in one hand, bottle in the other. Turn off the light and hit the lighter near the opening of the bottle at an angle. If done properly, the flame will spiral to the bottom of the bottle very quickly.

The NEW best JW!

Comment by darrylayo (not verified) Sat, 06/05/2010 - 11:42

I love you guys!

The bottom tier is PURE COMICSZX MADNESS

-Daaaaaaarrryyyyyyl

The perfect trilogy.

Comment by Aboot (not verified) Sat, 06/05/2010 - 13:58

This makes a perfect strip in the john experiences with fire saga.

O- Oh god

Comment by Skie (not verified) Mon, 06/07/2010 - 08:40

John's eyebrows survived the event, right?

If they died in the fire, we

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 06/08/2010 - 08:24

If they died in the fire, we lost a national treasure.

I just noticed that your

Comment by Spizzy (not verified) Tue, 06/08/2010 - 05:01

I just noticed that your comics have different alt text to read. Now I know the mushroom cloud isn't reeeaaall D;

Ah man!

Comment by NeoTsunami (not verified) Tue, 06/08/2010 - 08:37

Why do I always know about comics' alt texts after I spent two days catching up to them!? *clicks on "First'* xD

learn*

Comment by NeoTsunami (not verified) Tue, 06/08/2010 - 08:38

"why do I always LEARN* about..." sorry grammar nazis out there ^^U

Hahaha!

Comment by Ananth Tue, 06/08/2010 - 09:50

Guys I am learning so much about fire right now! Thanks for all the info. :D

you probably get this often enough....

Comment by Rattytat (not verified) Tue, 06/08/2010 - 10:49

But I just wanted to tell you that Johnny Wander, Fallen, and your art blog have really been an inspiration to me for the past year. I'm an Illustration student who has been in college much too long and has found it really hard to take pleasure from creating art recently...in short, art has become strictly homework. But then I read Johnny Wander (just like I read Fallen back in the day) and your art blog. The sketches you post, especially the rough ones, motivate me to take the time to draw for myself. I really respect the fact that you have the courage to put out your work for everyone to see. Even with the amount of talent you have, it has to be hard to put your art out there in world, unsure whether it will be met with criticism or praise.
So yeah, I'm a big fan...thanks.
P.S. Ananth is a really good story teller too. Props to him for being able to write for two comics at once.
P.P.S. Sorry this has nothing to do with your most recent comic, which was so funny that I laughed loud enough at work that my supervisor came over and asked if there was a problem.

Feeling HOT HOT HOT

Comment by Razor (not verified) Tue, 06/08/2010 - 16:08

I think this comic should be another 'fill-in-the-blank' comic. XD Although the last 'fitb' comic also involved fire and a considerable amount of smoke...Hmm...

A friend invited me to a bbq at his house recently. They had a firepit and started it with gasoline. And yes, it made a FOOSH (which as previously stated IS scarier than 'FOOMP').

My husband said that at his bachelor party, his friends dug his name in the sand, filled the ditches with gas, and lit it on fire. I asked for pictures, but he said that it was a sacred guy thing. Whatev, you bunch of firebugs...