Two Little Maidens

Two Little Maidens

Tue, 06/08/2010 - 17:33 by Ananth in response to the two little maidens 1

We've been wanting to do this for weeks. This mini-short concludes on Thursday ... it's the pilot and setup for the Maidens fiction series we'll be doing alongside Girl with the Skeleton Hand and the others.

I want to talk about the process a little bit here. The Two Little Maidens, as children, are done in the visual spirit of the Encyclopedia Brown and Nate the Great children's book series. Yuko spent half a day doing the research - she pulled up old covers and tracked down a font that looked a lot like the Encyclopedia Brown cover font (it's very similar to Clarendon, for the type-inclined). Then she did the letters by hand using a grid, which was painstaking but absolutely worth it - the type is gorgeous, especially the italics. Girl, you crazy. Tapping those books from our childhood was a natural fit.

Also: Yuko has a design over at Threadless that's up for voting:

It's called Coffee Loves Coffee! If you have a moment and wouldn't mind voting, that would be awesome!

Lastly, we just got in new ZooLOLogy, PaleontoLOLgy and Mawzantine Crest tees - once we do inventory they'll be up for grabs over in the store! We'll let you know when they're up. :)

Hope you guys like the new comic! See you Thursday!

Comments

Oh my, update full of

Comment by R (not verified) Tue, 06/08/2010 - 17:46

Oh my, update full of awesome :] Looking forward to the rest of the story, it definitely looks amazing visually. (the font, y/y?) And the threadless design is pure cutesy. *voting*

Awesome as usual. I want to

Comment by DisposablePal (not verified) Tue, 06/08/2010 - 17:46

Awesome as usual. I want to visit the farm too!

Right off the bat its

Comment by Aube (not verified) Tue, 06/08/2010 - 17:47

Right off the bat its amazing. Gotta say the Elixir of Truth was the best panel. Once again you guys pull off awesome swimmingly.

Ooooooh, exciting!

Comment by AmandaK (not verified) Tue, 06/08/2010 - 17:47

Ooooooh, exciting! Cool-looking new fiction ^^ If I were a kid again, I would totally read those books.

You know, that's so funny,

Comment by Joe (not verified) Tue, 06/08/2010 - 17:49

You know, that's so funny, because I looked at the strip and thought that the lettering looked like the font on the old Encyclopedia Brown books.

Lo and behold...

That sounds utterly retarded

Comment by Joe (not verified) Tue, 06/08/2010 - 17:50

That sounds utterly retarded and I apologize profusely.

NOT ENOUGH APOLOGY.

Comment by Unforgiving (not verified) Tue, 06/08/2010 - 19:12

I'm sorry, but I don't forgive you. *hmph*

Well, I forgive him.

Comment by Aido Tue, 06/08/2010 - 19:20

Well, I forgive him.

day= MADE.

Comment by Joe (not verified) Tue, 06/08/2010 - 19:32

day= MADE.

LOVE THIS SO FAR. I adore

Comment by hillary (not verified) Tue, 06/08/2010 - 17:55

LOVE THIS SO FAR. I adore the coloring, and I love the design of these kids. And the name! AHHH. so precious.

The Premise

Comment by Zak (not verified) Tue, 06/08/2010 - 18:11

What do you mean by pilot? Are you pitching it to someone?

O-oh, ah, no it's not.

Comment by Aido Tue, 06/08/2010 - 19:12

O-oh, ah, no it's not.  The first two comics are just a prologue to a longer story about the brothers as adults.

Such beautiful colors!

Comment by Dave Roman (not verified) Tue, 06/08/2010 - 18:15

This is looking amazing already! AMAAAZING!

Thanks, Dave!

Comment by Aido Tue, 06/08/2010 - 19:13

Aw, thanks so much! :D  I'm really really pleased with how it looks. :D

"I did it!"

Comment by Razor (not verified) Tue, 06/08/2010 - 18:20

LOL for some reason that reminded me of the old "Ida Know" strips in 'Family Circus'...

I never read Encyclopedia Brown. Maybe I should!

Also: Eeeee new stuff! =D I like the Maiden kids already.

Also also: Coffee <3's Coffee is adorable.

Very enjoyable. Boy

Comment by Jim (not verified) Tue, 06/08/2010 - 18:44

Very enjoyable. Boy detectives are always fun, like Gaiman's dead boy detectives. Or the Venture Brothers, from that show on adult swim...what was it called? Robot chicken?

Ummm...

Comment by Lancer2010 (not verified) Tue, 06/08/2010 - 20:34

One thing I hate about the internet, cannot tell if someone is being sarcastic...

But yeah, Venture Brothers are from Venture Bros.

Typo?

Comment by Minato (not verified) Tue, 06/08/2010 - 19:06

Shouldn't it be spelled "Elixir" and not "Elixer"?

ELIXER >> ELIXIR

Comment by Aido Tue, 06/08/2010 - 19:10

Y-yeah, that one was entirely my fault.  Ananth got it right on the script, I'm just a dumbass.  I'm going to get on it, but it's going to be a really difficult fix if I want to make it look good. =___=

I'm working on page 2 right now and mustering up the courage to do the fix.  It'll be corrected before the next page is up.

Corrected, thanks for the

Comment by Ananth Tue, 06/08/2010 - 19:37

Corrected, thanks for the heads up!

I'm so sorry for making you

Comment by Minato (not verified) Fri, 06/11/2010 - 14:32

I'm so sorry for making you feel bad T_T
Totally wasn't my intention D:
Curiosity got the better of me -_-

Eee new short story!

Comment by Fraoch (not verified) Tue, 06/08/2010 - 19:26

I love your short stories! Can't wait to see this one!

This rocks!

Comment by Andrew (not verified) Tue, 06/08/2010 - 21:34

It looks like it is going to be great!
Fantastic job!!

And I love the Coffee <3's Coffee. ( even if I don't like coffee myself) You'll let us know when its up for sale? I wish I could vote again... :D

Hey cool, ripping off Kate

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 06/08/2010 - 22:21

Hey cool, ripping off Kate Beaton's mystery solving teens now. Killer.

Like it was never done

Comment by Joe (not verified) Tue, 06/08/2010 - 23:02

Like it was never done before then either...

Oh come on you must be

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 06/10/2010 - 08:53

Oh come on you must be kidding me.

I LOVE THIS, IT IS GREAT.

Comment by Ainsley S (not verified) Tue, 06/08/2010 - 22:21

I LOVE THIS, IT IS GREAT. I'm so glad to hear there's going to be more. :D

Gaaaah... Elixir of Truth!

Comment by crazyforthedesert (not verified) Tue, 06/08/2010 - 23:27

Beautiful. Cute. Damn Near Perfection.

Aw

Comment by Cassia (not verified) Tue, 06/08/2010 - 23:40

Oh man I love the boys and I look forward to seeing them again, they're just so adorable.

EEE!

Comment by PenInHand (not verified) Wed, 06/09/2010 - 01:32

I love being surprised with color. Looking forward to reading this! I thanked you guys by joining threadless and voting. ;)

loooove nate the great :)

Comment by georgi (not verified) Wed, 06/09/2010 - 03:55

loooove nate the great :)

ooh!

Comment by lanysmiles (not verified) Wed, 06/09/2010 - 09:00

i love the colour scheme!

and having read so many mystery books as a kid (even Agatha Christie and Stephen King when i was too young really :D ) I NEVER came across Encyclopedia Brown D:
I feel cheated! Maybe I'll have to investigate this further....

anyone got any other recommendation for good books/manga/series?
I've reread my library of books so far this summer and I need something new!

Unanswered email

Comment by Dado (not verified) Wed, 06/09/2010 - 13:24

Hi guys, I was just wondering if your contact email still works because I've emailed like last february and I've waited (and still waiting) for a reply.xD I know you guys are busy so maybe if you have time you might wanna get me back on it. I'll wait.*nods

Cheers! :]

I'm very sorry! It's been

Comment by Ananth Wed, 06/09/2010 - 21:51

I'm very sorry! It's been tough for us to catch up on e-mails, but I'm slowly catching up (very slowly).

I can take a look - what name was the e-mail under?

It's under the subject ^^;.

Comment by Dado (not verified) Fri, 06/11/2010 - 02:50

It's under the subject ^^;. I'm so sorry bout this. I understand your situation.

Why are they called Maidens?

Comment by Teeny (not verified) Wed, 06/09/2010 - 14:39

I thought a maiden was an unmarried girl, but those appear to be two little boys? Was there a specific reason maiden was used? Just didn't know if I missed something.

I believe it's their last

Comment by gd (not verified) Wed, 06/09/2010 - 15:53

I believe it's their last name. Cute punning.

Indeed!

Comment by Aido Wed, 06/09/2010 - 23:45

Maiden is also a surname, albeit uncommon. :D

Threadless LOVE!

Comment by Pupsqueak (not verified) Thu, 06/10/2010 - 00:39

Coffee loves coffee is sort of freaking me out. I remember thinking the same thing when I saw the design the first time.

... I think I must own the shirt.

Squee!

Comment by Skip (not verified) Thu, 06/10/2010 - 09:07

The little kids are SO cute! Haha, they sort of remind me of Ed and Al (from Fullmetal Alchemist)!

D-daddy Maiden's not so

Comment by ningen_demonai (not verified) Thu, 06/10/2010 - 10:42

D-daddy Maiden's not so great at the comforting front, is he? Sob. XD

Awesome.

Comment by Kings (not verified) Thu, 06/10/2010 - 11:16

As usual you guys made something amazing here. I read pretty much every Encyclopedia Brown book when I was a kid, so seeing an homage to that from someone who, you know, actually remembered those books was pretty awesome. I think the elixir of truth is my favorite.

Honestly as much as your slice-o-life comics make me laugh, I love the storybook style you have when you do these fictional asides. I'm excited to read more!

I hope to see you guys around, I've got to figure out which Con I'm doing after Ota.

-Kings