Cooked Cat

Cooked Cat

Thu, 07/08/2010 - 14:04 by Ananth in response to thermometer cat

RE: Busted Images

Hey guys! We're looking into the problem, I think it's on our host's side. Getting it resolved as quickly as possible, thanks for the heads up! If you can give us a rundown of what isn't working for you and what browser you're using, that would be great. Thanks!

Rook was pretty miserable the past few days - I guess fur will do that to you during a heatwave. He was trying everything to cool off, and Yuko was wetting him down from time to time, but we finally tossed him into the tub and hosed him down. Rook hated it, but he was cheery for the rest of the day. Actually, towards the end of yesterday he finally discovered a perch next to our newly installed A/C unit (thanks George!), and he was quite content.

Today the weather has finally cooled off, so we're all relaxing and getting back to 100% work capacity. Any unfulfilled orders are being shipped out today - most of you should be getting tracking numbers, so keep an eye out. ;)

Lastly I've read a couple of books, recently! Elizabeth Peter's Crocodile on the Sandbank, Mariko Koike's Cat in the Coffin, and Michael Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay. Crocodile is especially cute and features Victorian-era lady adventurer Amelia Peabody in Egypt. Cat in the Coffin is a quick read, but will by the end have you in a grip of vague dread. The winner of the three, though, is Kavalier & Clay, which I finished about ten minutes ago - WWII, the Golden Age of comics, Fredric Wertham and the trials of two young men tumbling through it all. The Chicago Tribune has it right - "with sentences so cozy they'll wrap you up and kiss you goodnight." Couldn't recommend it more, especially if you like comics!

We'll be at Connecticon this weekend! Come say hey! :D We should have some new stuff with us, in addition to our usual tees and prints.

Comments

Couldn't agree more!

Comment by Andrew (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 14:16

Yeah, I finished Kavalier & Clay last week. It was a long read, but at a good pace and keeps you wanting more! If you guys ever have a chance to read this book, go for it!

Aww, poor Rook. Cats have

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 14:22

Aww, poor Rook. Cats have fur to keep cool as well as to keep warm (more of an insulating thing), but I guess it isn't true when your fur is black.

It's a Rook-tor scale!

Comment by Taq (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 14:30

It's a Rook-tor scale!

Haha! Good one! xDD

Comment by Lotsa (not verified) Sun, 07/11/2010 - 10:42

Haha! Good one! xDD

I've been looking for some

Comment by Aube (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 15:32

I've been looking for some new books and will definitely give those a look.

90F/32C Rook looks like me at the same temperature.

Comment by CameoAppearance (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 17:18

And I don't even have fur, never mind black fur. (Though I do habitually dress in black, which is seriously working against me now that Vancouver seems to have opened up a box of Instant Summer.)

So freaken hot!!

Comment by Lurklen (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 18:58

What the hell is with this weather, man I can't wait for some of our tradtional vancouver grey skies and rain.

Rain come back!!! T-T

Comment by kimperley (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 23:37

Rain come back!!! T-T

Raaaain!!! ;c

Comment by Mousey (not verified) Fri, 07/09/2010 - 13:30

I'm almost jealous. We've been getting alternating weeks of heat waves and cold waves with flash floods. Today's the first day in nearly a week that it's been sunny and tolerable warm out.

The image is not loading. So

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 17:08

The image is not loading. So sad.

Images are brokened?

Comment by Jesse (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 17:08

Eeep, I just came here from RSS and it looks as though the image links on this page, and all previous comixes are brokened. :<

http://www.johnnywander.com/files/comics/173.jpg -- 404, page not found

I hope everything will be okay! :3

...Yes, so I was reading

Comment by Matthew (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 17:25

...Yes, so I was reading through the archives (just found you guys, and I was going through the whole thing in one fell swoop) and I can't get to anything past 168, including through the rss feed. It is very unfortunate.

Re: Busted Images

Comment by Ananth Thu, 07/08/2010 - 17:43

Hi, Still broken for me, I'm

Comment by Dom (not verified) Mon, 07/12/2010 - 04:20

Hi,
Still broken for me, I'm using Firefox 3.6.6 on Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid).
Thanks,
Dom
ps. Love the comic, only discovered it last week, and have already read your entire back history!

firefox- image not loading

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 17:54

i use firefox, latest version i know of, and the image alt text is all that will load. i am a regular reader. i right-clicked the alt text of the image and clicked "view image" and was redirected to "page not found". so sad. PLS, we can has our thursday fix of JW now?

Re: Busted Images

Comment by JacaByte (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 17:56

Google Chrome 5.0.375.99
OS X 10.6

From here it looks like comics 182 and 183 are broken, but I can go further into the past up to the first comic. The latest comic is broken too, of course.

First post by the by, love the comics. :)

oh yeah..

Comment by haden (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 18:32

^(i'm the one who posted as anonymous, sayin i was on firefox)
My OS is Win 7.

Michael Chabon!!!

Comment by Sophie (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 18:45

I love him! If you want to read more of his stuff "Wonder Boys" is my undisputed favorite (the movie is excellent too) and "The Yiddish Policeman's Union" is pretty excellent. Neither can boast the same topical relevancy as "The Adventures of K&C" but... ah well. Have you read Jonathan Lethem's "Fortress of Solitude"?

Sorry about your site issues... I hope they can get straightened out soon!

Best,
Sophie

Using Firefox 3.6.6 Windows

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 18:50

Using Firefox 3.6.6
Windows 7 Basic

Comic 168 is the most recient one that's working; everything between that one and the current has the distinct appearance of the image embed code having been omitted. This current page gives the alt text with the 'Image' just being the text for the page's file name (173 - thermometer cat). Right clicking gives the standard list of nonsense for an image that failed to load correctly.

Reload Image does nothing, as does Copy Image.

View Image sends me to what is presumably a placeholder page for pages that don't exist, and Copy Image Location just gives the url for the placeholder page.

Image Info says it's a 1.17 kB (1,203 bytes) image that is 0px × 0px (scaled to 130px × 13px).

I'd say that the image was not uploaded correctly, or maybe your host had to dump all recient uploads, which would explain the other ones.

Using google Chrome, the

Comment by Nijimei (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 18:55

Using google Chrome, the comic image file doesn't show up (and has that little square circle triangle icon instead)

Are you guys on the same

Comment by Foe (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 19:22

Are you guys on the same host as ThreePanelSoul? They seem to be having the same problem at the moment.

Yeah, also

Comment by 1d30 (not verified) Fri, 07/09/2010 - 00:19

A Softer World was having comic upload issues, but I'm not sure it was the same problem. After all, it's a miracle that our magic boxes even do this right some of the time. It's likely that it's three different problems.

Multiple comic problems...

Comment by Pupsqueak (not verified) Fri, 07/09/2010 - 12:36

I noticed the problem with ASW the other day and Xylia Tales was down for a couple weeks (I got redirected to what looked like a server folder rather than a legit webcomic site.) I wonder what the deal is...

Current comic isn't showing

Comment by Ramiel (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 19:39

I can view the previous comics, but not the current one. However, when viewing the archive, i can see the preview of the current comic.

Is using Firefox ver. 3.6.6

The Amazing Adventures of

Comment by katt (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 20:01

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay! Now I want to go re-read that book.

Poor Rook :( At least he found a perch!

I was worried about Yuki during the worst of the heat wave due to the fact that she has a medium-long haired coat that's.. well, if you wet her down, she loses about a 1/3 of her size. She's been keeping cool by lying belly and chin against the floor.

I thought it was just the

Comment by redex (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 19:46

I thought it was just the RSS feed, but it's not working on the homepage either. Firefox 3.6.6. As the page loads I can see the square box where the image should be before it collapses down to the text "173 - thermometer cat" which I assume must be the title or alt text for the image. So some info must have gone through when you posted it.

Using the latest version of

Comment by Amanda (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 19:50

Using the latest version of FireFox and Windows Vista. Nothing is showing but the comic title for me, and the post by Ananth.

No Image

Comment by Akedus (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 20:12

Personally, I'm using newest Firefox, operating out of Canadistan.

Shows that it doesn't appear to be a browser issue. Maybe location based?

NY Weather's been craazy

Comment by Lauren (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 20:44

I'm up in Albany, trust me, it's not any cooler the more north you go, lol.

I've got 2 dogs and 3 cats here and they don't like it any more than I do, and two of the cats and I moved here from Florida, so we're "used" to the heat (haha, yeah right you don't get used to heat)

But yeah, it sucks when you have dogs that need to go out, especially big, long haired ones that can't stand it for more than 5 minutes, I don't know how many accidents there's been in the house so far, LOL.

Using Chrome 5.0.375.99 on

Comment by Aecratis (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 21:26

Using Chrome 5.0.375.99 on windows 7, and everything shows up except for comic images after "Sheddingest Cat."

Want to seeeee

Comment by Kate Frizzell (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 21:27

I use Firefox and there is no picture at all, no broken image or anything. It's just not there.

Comic Troubles

Comment by Ina (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 21:28

I'm using the latest version of Google Chrome and I'm having the same issue as just about everybody else... Can't see the comic, but the blog posts and the archives are showing up. Though in the archive, only up to 168 is showing up. After that, it's just broken images. Hope that helps a little.

PS- this is the first time I've left a comment, but I also wanted to say that this comic is really awesome. It's definitely one of the best out there. <3

D:<

Comment by Heath (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 21:40

Evil! I want my JW fix.

Using OS: Windows 7 Netbook Edition
Browsers: Newest FireFox, Google Chrome, and *shivers* IE

It didn't work in any. It's not location based because I'm on the internet in Afghanistan right now (I'm a deployed US Marine out here). >_> This is not cool. xD I read your comic every Tuesday and Thursday after shift before I go to bed.

re re broken image

Comment by SnakeWaffle (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 21:50

Firefox: windos OS vista.

Every comic after "the sheddingest cat" doesn't show up for me. at all.

The comic isn't showing up

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 22:23

The comic isn't showing up on Opera. :C

Re-re-re-no image

Comment by NowayPent (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 22:27

Wow, there's a lot of Firefox users having issues! Usually it's mostly poor Internet Explorer saps like me, haha. Also, Windows XP. Eugh.
Hope it's nothing serious and that everything gets sorted out soon! <3

Hi, using Safari on OSX

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 22:32

Hi, using Safari on OSX here, (I really should go get Firefox)

having the same issue as everyone else. Good luck!

I'm using the latest version

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 22:32

I'm using the latest version of Safari for Mac OSX and the picture just isn't loading. Like... no red x, but nothing. ):

Comic not displaying, using

Comment by Karsen (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 22:54

Comic not displaying, using Safari 4.0.3 on Mac OSX. Fun times!

Hmm. The image was working

Comment by Emi (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 22:59

Hmm. The image was working earlier today, but now it's gone! I'm using the latest version of Safari on Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

What's broken

Comment by Kyle (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 23:36

I can't see some of the comic strips. I am using chrome...

Yeah, same here...everything

Comment by Adam (not verified) Fri, 07/09/2010 - 01:52

Yeah, same here...everything else seems to me in working order, though. OH! Also on a Mac if that changes anything.

Specs

Comment by 1d30 (not verified) Fri, 07/09/2010 - 00:14

IE 7
Windows XP SP2
Popup-Stopper, Ad-Aware, Norton, behind a router, cable connection

I can read the comics and news in the archives up to the comic with the sandwich-eating on the beach. After that I can't see the comics anymore. I have never been able to see the latter couple comics.

I don't see an actual broken image, it's just missing and the news post starts right where the comic should.

Also there is a smudge on my monitor that you guys totally need to fix / clean. It's right in the middle and it bugs me, but I'm afraid to use the cleaners around the house lest I melt it.

The Internet is BRONKERS!

Comment by C.D. Reimer (not verified) Fri, 07/09/2010 - 00:23

My ISP on the west coast has been offline for most of the day. A few other web comics are having image issues. I wonder if they're related somehow. I haven't seen notification that a backbone connection had gone down somewhere.

firefox

Comment by Denis (not verified) Fri, 07/09/2010 - 00:34

no comic displaying with latest version of firefox, canada.

Curses.

Comment by Odde Bale (not verified) Fri, 07/09/2010 - 01:09

I'm using google chrome, and I can't see the comic. Have you doused it in some kind of invisibility tonic? Please say you have, that's way more interesting than just having out of control internet shenanigans.

Comment by Alyssa (not verified) Fri, 07/09/2010 - 02:14

Firefox. Looks to be the same as others - broken from comic 182 through today, but I can see the older archives. :(

The last 5 comics don't show

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 07/09/2010 - 02:47

The last 5 comics don't show - using Firefox 2

168 and earlier seem to display fine.

If you liked Kavalier and

Comment by Marlowe (not verified) Fri, 07/09/2010 - 03:22

If you liked Kavalier and Clay, then you should read Chabon's book that came after that, Yiddish Policeman's Union.

No worky on firefox

Comment by Nor (not verified) Fri, 07/09/2010 - 03:38

No comics for me on Firefox :( That makes me a sad panda. Hopefully the issue gets resolved soon! Good luck guys!!!!!