A poem from the heart

A poem from the heart

Tue, 07/20/2010 - 16:29 by Ananth in response to driver's tan

Driver's Tan is a road trip poem - nay, a road trip lament. This one goes out to all those people with one tan arm, hopelessly asymmetric till the end of summer. Yuko came up with this poem years ago, and it's been on the list ever since I first heard it. We wanted to share now that it's seasonally appropriate.

By the way,

We snagged a copy at the midnight release at Midtown in Times Sq., and yes, we stayed up late to read it. ;) I won't say more than that (because spoilers are the worst), but Scott Pilgrim, V6, and Bryan get me (even more) excited about comics.

Our buddy Jisuk was the one who loaned us the Cintiq, which is how we did the Maiden comics - she's got this laundry bag available that you guys might dig. Take a look!

If you missed it last week, we have cellphone charms and a bookmark set now available in the store! I think that's all from us -- see you Thursday!

Comments

Jisuk is a girl!? Or is the

Comment by Sprinkles ☠! (not verified) Thu, 07/22/2010 - 01:41

Jisuk is a girl!? Or is the "she" supposed to be a "he"? Just wondering because Jisuk is one of my favorite artists ever, and if it weren't for him I wouldn't know about this comic.

Aside from that, this poem is hot (hahaha! pun! i'm so funny!)! Honestly, I wear a sweater in the car no matter what the outside temp is, and I live in Arizona. I'm sure people look at me like I'm crazy when I'm walking around outside in over 100 degree weather with a sweater on... but like Yuko, I tan... and my tans take FOREVER to go away. And I'd rather deal with being a little hot than getting a tan that'll take months to go away.

Hahaha, Jisuk is a girl.

Comment by Aido Thu, 07/22/2010 - 10:31

Hahaha, Jisuk is a girl.  And yeah, she's a super awesome artist! :D

Oh my Scott Pilgrim

Comment by JustBen (not verified) Thu, 07/22/2010 - 04:08

Nothing makes me happier then finding out other superawesome people (like yourselves) read thing that I do, such as Scott Pilgrim, because I'm a lil' odd like that

I have a perpetual farmer's

Comment by Pupsqueak (not verified) Thu, 07/22/2010 - 12:34

I have a perpetual farmer's tan (from the elbows down on both arms) from years of wearing nothing but t-shirts during the summer. And now one arm is noticeably darker brown because my AC doesn't work in my car, so I always have it hanging out the window.

What a wonderfully accurate poem!

Yay Scott Pilgrim 6! I went

Comment by Sepia (not verified) Thu, 07/22/2010 - 20:51

Yay Scott Pilgrim 6!

I went and got it at midnight also, I kept waiting till I was alone to read it but my boyfriend finished it before we were even out of the store. .__.

Scott Pilgrim Fans!?

Comment by Renard the Vulpine (not verified) Thu, 07/22/2010 - 22:34

You guys are Scott Pilgrim Fans!? You guys all get +3 awesome points, excluding Conrad (until he reads them of course).

The tune

Comment by Kristy (not verified) Fri, 07/23/2010 - 10:53

I was driving yesterday and I caught myself humming this.
Thanks Yuko, you've officially gotten into my subconscious. lol

Time to drive an English car

Comment by Elkian (not verified) Mon, 07/26/2010 - 17:21

Time to drive an English car to even out

Is it bad I sang this to the

Comment by Squeaker (not verified) Tue, 07/27/2010 - 13:42

Is it bad I sang this to the tune of SpiderPig?

Do you guys know about the

Comment by Kuragari (not verified) Sat, 07/31/2010 - 00:54

Do you guys know about the Scott Pilgrim video game coming out August 10th on PSN (15 days later on XBox Live). If you've ever played River City Ransom, it's gonna have gameplay like it. You guys should check it out! It's 10 bucks if you preorder it on ubisoft's website... (9 if you have the code... I think it's 10THANKS) anyway... it looks to be epic...

Scotty P

Comment by Cameron (not verified) Wed, 08/04/2010 - 07:34

I literally got into Scott Pilgrim like last week (all the hype for the movie, and then I saw the novels in the store and thought I would check them out. Best decision ever!). The only problem is that volume 3 is mysteriously missing from every chapters store I go to :( I'm now stuck having read volumes 1 & 2, waiting to find the third...

Living in T.O., I notice a lot of references to downtown and the harbourfront. Next time you guys are in Toronto, you should do some Scott Pilgrim sight-seeing.

Please tell me I'm not the

Comment by Snarfle (not verified) Thu, 08/12/2010 - 01:47

Please tell me I'm not the only one who sung this to the tune of Smelly Cat from FRIENDS?

that's nothing when you work

Comment by Jackie (not verified) Thu, 09/09/2010 - 18:39

that's nothing
when you work at the renaissance faire, you get a 'bodice tan'
so that the top of your boobs are bright red >.>

SCOTT PILGRIM! <3

To The Theme of "Spider-Man!"

Comment by Gill (not verified) Mon, 10/18/2010 - 19:34

I may never be able to read this poem normally now. D:

No TMBG?

Comment by Lenny (not verified) Mon, 02/07/2011 - 00:55

I actually thought of Particle Man by They Might Be Giants when I read this.

You know what my mom does

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 06/18/2011 - 03:16

You know what my mom does for that? She bought these sleeves from a Japanese market that were made specifically for that. Buy some! Avoid the ugly floral ones, those are embarrassing.

Scott Pilgrim killed Luke Skywalker's father.

Comment by JET73L (not verified) Wed, 09/14/2011 - 23:08

...with a sled.

Scott Pilgrim is an epic, hilarious, amazing series. Though the movie's characters differed in tone from the comcs (mostly the Michael Cera-ization of Scott and a few others), I love both.

Spoiler for Volume 4, which is, like, third from the worst:
Not all Second Cup exteriors lead to the same interior. What a twist, right?

R.E.: Kuragari: I, too, sang the poem to the tune of the old Spider-Man theme! ...In my head. ...Not out loud... (°#_#°)

I added ukulele chords to

Comment by Lydia (not verified) Mon, 10/10/2011 - 09:49

I added ukulele chords to your poem. It sounds pretty good :)

ha ha, i had the same thing

Comment by Saka (not verified) Tue, 11/01/2011 - 23:16

ha ha, i had the same thing happen to me when i was heading home for a friends wedding.
i was driving with my top down and didn't really think anything of it, thought maybe my face would get some color and that would be all. hell, i didn't even notice after i had gotten to my parents and looked at the damage in the mirror. it wasn't until i was trying on the dress that i noticed that my chest had gotten some sun too. you could clearly see the outline of my lacy top and where my seat belt laid. luckily it wasn't as noticeable during the wedding!

For some reason I read this

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 07/02/2013 - 10:37

For some reason I read this poem in the Spiderman theme music. It is annoying me now because there is no ending to the music, noooooo.