duhn Duhn DUHN!

duhn Duhn DUHN!

Thu, 07/22/2010 - 17:29 by Ananth in response to oh the horror

We were thawing a pork loin for the pulled-pork Yuko was going to make the next day, but Rook got up onto the counter and managed to drag it across the kitchen floor while we slept. He tried to hide it behind the stove, but he left a very literal trail, and we caught him quite literally red-pawed.

(To preempt any concerns - we contacted a vet just in case.)

I like how this one turned out - thumbs up, Yuko!

Here's a recipe for vegetarian pulled-pork.  It won't taste like meat, but vegetarians ought to enjoy it.

We are NOT at SDCC this year! But everyone fortunate to go should totally enjoy it. Do something fun for us! We are here under a small mountain of work, digging our way to the surface.

That's all from us! Catch you next week!

Comments

Comment by Emily (not verified) Fri, 07/23/2010 - 16:50

Rook's face in the last panel is too cute, and I loved the red meat trail!
None of my cats have ever attempted a stunt like this, since they usually steer clear of human food. :T

Om nom nom

Comment by Yu Huo (not verified) Fri, 07/23/2010 - 19:59

Rook is an amateur! Taji would have had that thing. bones and all, and licked the blood off the floor. Then. Taji is an Akita. Hmm.

Artistically my favourite of

Comment by Thom (not verified) Fri, 07/23/2010 - 20:11

Artistically my favourite of the lot. Nice one, guys :)

0_0 Niiiiice tonal shift

Comment by darrylayo (not verified) Sat, 07/24/2010 - 02:12

0_0

Niiiiice tonal shift from the regular J*Ws! This one's genuinely creepy!

Oh man, thanks Darryl!! Glad

Comment by Ananth Tue, 07/27/2010 - 10:36

Oh man, thanks Darryl!! Glad you dug this one. I knew it had to be creepy, but I still got a little creeped out when I saw Yuko inking it.

Our cats were teeny little

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 07/24/2010 - 10:38

Our cats were teeny little gutter kittens someone dumped on our doorstep (literally), and one day while I was on the computer with my dinner next to me, the girl started having a shit fit over by the door.

When I went to get up and see what she was rioting about, her brother stole my porkchop and hid behind the cat box with it. I went to sit back down and she ran over and they split it.

By the time I noticed it missing, it was just a bone. I'd only gotten maybe 2 or 3 bites D:

Oh goodness!

Comment by Mistress Pyro (not verified) Sat, 07/24/2010 - 10:43

Poor kitty face D: He just wanted some delicious meats! If only he could have gotten it behind that pesky stove! :3

Nice Colouring

Comment by Hannah (not verified) Sat, 07/24/2010 - 15:34

I know a lot of people have said this already, but the touch of red is amazing! It looks properly dramatic and DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNN...! I always love the writing and pacing of Johnny Wander, and I can't get enough of Yuko's amazing art style. :)

Ha! That's cute. If it were

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 07/24/2010 - 21:13

Ha! That's cute.
If it were my stupid cat, he'd have ditched the pork loin and eaten the plastic grocery bag. He's smart that way.

Its a shame you guys weren't

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sun, 07/25/2010 - 00:20

Its a shame you guys weren't at SDCC. I spent most of Thursday looking for you guys after I bought the Scott pilgrim shirt with Ananth's sick design. I was really hoping to congratulate him in person ^^;

Rad, so glad you like it! I

Comment by Ananth Tue, 07/27/2010 - 10:37

Rad, so glad you like it! I did two - the red and black two-sided one, and the grey SCOTT SCOTT SCOTT.

Sorry we weren't there! We're shooting for next year.

I love cats, they're so

Comment by Kuragari (not verified) Sun, 07/25/2010 - 12:39

I love cats, they're so sneaky and unpredictable. I love the fact that he tried to claim a whole pork loin. "hmm this is mine now, nom nom" lol too funny, thanks for the continually great comic.

Comment by Bethanie (not verified) Mon, 07/26/2010 - 03:28

Hi :3 I just got into your comic and I love them^^ I love how the red is the only color in this one and the spooky feeling it gives when you read it

Awesome!

Comment by CasualOtaku (not verified) Mon, 07/26/2010 - 03:50

Heh, I think every cat owner has gone through something similar at least once.

In my case it wasn't even thawing. i had to make more than one trip to get all the groceries in and he got into the chicken before I made it back.

He LOVES chicken, even an empty KFC bucket is worthy of diving into the trashcan.

Love the creepy buildup only to get smacked with cuteness! This is definitely one of my favorites.

Color me impressed

Comment by Tasher (not verified) Mon, 07/26/2010 - 10:53

I really love the style and coloring in this strip. I really hope I see more like it 8D ... And I've been lurking for a while. <3

Thanks for dropping in to

Comment by Ananth Tue, 07/27/2010 - 10:38

Thanks for dropping in to say something! If people like this kind of break from the norm, we like to hear it - it usually tips us in one direction or another.

I just noticed this

Comment by Michael C. (not verified) Mon, 07/26/2010 - 15:06

This is the second comic in a way where yuko's eye's are seen through her glasses, both in driver's tan and this one.

For Yuko's pulled pork, is

Comment by Kuragari (not verified) Tue, 07/27/2010 - 09:44

For Yuko's pulled pork, is the traditional recipe the same minus the veggie ingredients?

Meow Mix!

Comment by Cameron (not verified) Tue, 07/27/2010 - 09:57

Rook sounds like a very cute cat. I've got two of my own who alternate being massive balls of energy. It's times when you walk into the kitchen to see one of them with their face in the kitchen sink, only to perk up and stare you straight in the face a second later that makes having cats so fun.

Also, read through all the comics yesterday (during work), probably the best online comic/artwork ever, and the fact that it's about you day-to-day lives makes it even better. Keep up the good work.

Thanks!

Comment by Ananth Tue, 07/27/2010 - 11:19

Thanks!

This reminds me a lot like

Comment by Ramiel (not verified) Tue, 07/27/2010 - 11:00

Max Payne's horror dream where you have to follow the blood maze trail.

I hated that dream D:

yeah

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 07/29/2010 - 07:12

me too.....

My favorite comics are the

Comment by Jetho (not verified) Tue, 07/27/2010 - 12:37

My favorite comics are the autobiographical kind, and cute, funny, truthful ones like yours have inspired to want to draw my own! I enjoy the small things (Rook nicking your pork loin. Silly cat.) you highlight and place into comic form for your readers to enjoy. Thanks.

Cats Are Thieves.

Comment by Jen (not verified) Tue, 07/27/2010 - 17:09

This reminds me so much of my cats. One of my cats will steal your food right off the fork if you're too slow.

Most people I know thaw it

Comment by maldar (not verified) Wed, 07/28/2010 - 10:29

Most people I know thaw it in the mircowave (not with power) overnight. I know that people expressed concern with bateria and toxins; I have yet to see anyone experience any negative side effects after all these decades.

... *Psycho OST*

Comment by MIB4u (not verified) Sun, 08/28/2011 - 13:22

Wow, that one's creepy...
Good work I guess...? *shivers*

Rook's cute though.

Thawing D:

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 12/23/2011 - 03:20

It's not safe to thaw anything on the counter.
Think of it the way you cook a steak,
the outside gets done, but it takes quite a while to cook the inside. The same applies to Thawing on the counter, the outside gets thawwed, but the inside takes much longer. This means that while the inside is still thawing, the outside has already grown bacteria and is producing toxins D: *oh noes*
The best way to thaw something is to put it in the fridge overnight, or wrap it in plastic and place it under running cold water (this works well if you're in a hurry, you can defrost something the size of a chicken breast in 20 minutes, or something the size of a pork tenderloin in about 40-50 minutes :D)
Yaaaaaay foodsafe