We can't help it

We can't help it

Tue, 08/03/2010 - 16:05 by Ananth in response to the same terrible wavelength

You'll also recall the Quesodillo. The Koalacanth is a prehistoric holdout, adapted to the deepest, darkest parts of the ocean so that it can hide its freakish visage. You really only want to hug the top half. Oh, and the new face is Lindsay, one of Conrad's new roommates! (There's a roommate shuffle going on - we'll do a follow-up comic at some point to clarify.)

Yuko finished the book she was working on! It's a Twisted Journeys book for Graphic Universe/Lerner Publishing - a choose-your-own-adventure that is half comic and half illustration. Not sure if we can talk about the content, but she just sent the pages off yesterday. Go Yuko! (Now on to the next book! YAAAaaayy ahh ... aw.)

The BEACH set prints are up in the store, if you are interested! They are adorable and ready to hang on your wall.

That's all from us! See you Thursday!

Comments

Coelacanth, Inc.

Comment by Krimson (not verified) Tue, 08/03/2010 - 16:11

...I've been pronouncing it wrong, too. Nuts.

Between the theAsaurus and this, if I didn't know better, I'd think Johnny Wander was a comic about literacy.

oops.

Comment by colormuse (not verified) Tue, 08/03/2010 - 16:15

i've been calling it kee-oh-la-canth. koalacanth is a much more adorable way to mispronounce it!

Aquatic Drop Bears!

Comment by CorinthianJazz (not verified) Tue, 08/03/2010 - 16:16

Aquatic Drop Bears! Nooooooooo!!!

Were there a way to upvote

Comment by Bento (not verified) Wed, 08/04/2010 - 01:26

Were there a way to upvote comments, you would get mine.

Comment by conrad Wed, 08/04/2010 - 07:46

Like Engadget style? I like it; I'll keep it under advisement.

hahahahaa!! i know my

Comment by Heather L. (not verified) Tue, 08/03/2010 - 16:49

hahahahaa!! i know my ancient fish species, so i wouldn't make this mistake, but now i wish i had because this is freakin' adorable!

Just so you know.

Comment by conrad Tue, 08/03/2010 - 16:57

I added the "stupid animals" tag. I thought it fitting. ;)

Hahaha thanks!!

Comment by Ananth Tue, 08/03/2010 - 17:08

Hahaha thanks!!

Eheehee

Comment by Lupus Draconis (not verified) Tue, 08/03/2010 - 17:07

So I've been pronouncing it wrong, too. Ko-ehl-a-canth. (Runs together like coal). But, then again, I have a history of mispronunciation.

... Oh shoot me, I've been

Comment by Rayna (Nin) (not verified) Tue, 08/03/2010 - 17:13

... Oh shoot me, I've been pronouncing it that way the whole time too. D:

Bizarrozoology

Comment by Joe (not verified) Tue, 08/03/2010 - 17:32

You guys come up with some of the weirdest creatures ever.
And I love them all.

Animals

Comment by Softspoken (not verified) Tue, 08/03/2010 - 17:59

How do you manage to make these still be cute? I know I should be somewhat terrified of the results, but I still want to cuddle it.

I can't wait to see your

Comment by Pan (not verified) Tue, 08/03/2010 - 18:27

I can't wait to see your works in print :D

"Koala-canth"?

Comment by Hikki536 (not verified) Tue, 08/03/2010 - 18:28

Another animal to be added to the long list of ZooLOLOLogy :3

Comment by colormuse (not verified) Tue, 08/03/2010 - 19:58

haha, koLOLacanth xD

What O__O I've been

Comment by Maiumaora (not verified) Tue, 08/03/2010 - 20:18

What O__O

I've been pronouncing it Ko-el-uh-canth

...no idea how i got that at this point....

I did that too!

Comment by Matt (not verified) Wed, 08/04/2010 - 15:38

You wanna know the embarrassing thing that corrected me? Pokemon.

"This is a Relicanth, it's based off of a KO-EL-O-CANTH"
"You're saying that wrong."

The fuzziest fish in the sea!

Comment by Fraoch (not verified) Tue, 08/03/2010 - 20:20

I've always liked that name. Sounds pretty.

It's pretty much the same

Comment by Jeremy Wiles (not verified) Tue, 08/03/2010 - 20:23

It's pretty much the same case for Coelophysis (one of the earliest dinosaurs).

So if I had put two and two

Comment by Lupus Draconis (not verified) Thu, 08/05/2010 - 06:35

So if I had put two and two together like an intelligent person, I would've known how to pronounce coelacanth correctly. Beh. XP
(Also, yay coelophysis)

Huh...

Comment by JET73L (not verified) Wed, 09/14/2011 - 23:14

I used to pronounce Coelophysis wrong, and I didn't even realize until today (I automatically read it as seelo-fih-zis today, and possibly the last couople of times I encountered the word).

So many books

Comment by Aube (not verified) Tue, 08/03/2010 - 20:38

Intense, book after book eh? man you're busy people. I feel a Koalacanth wouldn't be as cute in real life, all the scales instead of fur.

The worst variation yet

Comment by Geekthras (not verified) Tue, 08/03/2010 - 20:46

For several years, I'd pronounce it Koh-El-Ka-Lanth. No idea why

Awww man

Comment by Dori (not verified) Tue, 08/03/2010 - 20:53

Dude, I totally want some of those prints and stuff but I don't have a paypal or anything! Bummerrrr

Also that's how I've been pronouncing it too xD I am known amongst my friends as a word monger-er (At least, I think that's what they call me)

I WANT ONE. I can't stop

Comment by Cassie (not verified) Tue, 08/03/2010 - 23:05

I WANT ONE. I can't stop reading "Coelacanth" as "Coelananth".

More terrible combinations

Comment by Softspoken (not verified) Thu, 08/05/2010 - 07:34

Seal-Ananth?

THE MOST MAJESTIC

Comment by Cassie (not verified) Thu, 08/05/2010 - 20:23

I caught one!

Comment by Alexis (not verified) Tue, 08/03/2010 - 23:20

I caught one a few weeks ago at like 3am when I couldn't sleep.
I pronounced it "ko-leo-santh" for a long time.

I am horribly allergic to

Comment by spinachwrap (not verified) Tue, 08/03/2010 - 23:46

I am horribly allergic to everything with fur and love fish beyond all reason, so at first I was all YAY COELACANTH but then I realized that it had fur and if I hugged it I'd get a rash and then suffocate to death.
Cute but deadly in the itchiest way.

City Folk?

Comment by Puncho (not verified) Wed, 08/04/2010 - 00:51

Are you playing City Folk?

...

IT ATE MY LIFE.

Seriously it's so fun, but for such simple reasons that I wonder how I'm not bored yet.

...tarantula, I'll get you someday, when you stop glitching on hills and suiciding in rivers.

Fail.

Comment by Random (not verified) Wed, 08/04/2010 - 03:13

Animal Crossing is ok, but you reallllllllly should be playing pokemon, feed your inner child.

On the subject of freaky hybrids

Comment by Thom (not verified) Wed, 08/04/2010 - 06:25

I'd also like to venture the "Paulo Coelhocanth". Part ancient fish, part international bestselling author.

I, too, pronounced wrongly

Comment by darth_franny (not verified) Wed, 08/04/2010 - 06:41

I, too, pronounced wrongly for years!!! I am embarrassed... -_-;;

Koalacanth would make a

Comment by Darb (not verified) Wed, 08/04/2010 - 09:54

Koalacanth would make a great tattoo!

Awwww, I call myself a

Comment by Leah (not verified) Wed, 08/04/2010 - 10:08

Awwww, I call myself a science nerd and I totally mispronounce it too! I have just brought shame to my BS in Marine Biology.

Myth-pronunciation

Comment by Razor (not verified) Wed, 08/04/2010 - 11:41

Totally the way I've been pronouncing it too.

The rare Australian Koalacanth! You all have Discovery channel beat for spotting new species. =)

I am so happy that I am not

Comment by Surge (not verified) Wed, 08/04/2010 - 12:07

I am so happy that I am not the only person who pronounces it this way...

;-; I don't think I've ever

Comment by Shantal (not verified) Wed, 08/04/2010 - 12:27

;-; I don't think I've ever brought up a Coelacanth in a regular conversion but I would have pronounced it more phonetically too.

!

Comment by Eric (not verified) Wed, 08/04/2010 - 14:00

Sweet jesus, theres a new animal crossing out? The last I played was the one for the Ds :O
(gamecube version ftw!)

It's been out since 2008,

Comment by Puncho (not verified) Thu, 08/05/2010 - 16:58

It's been out since 2008, but don't worry, I learnt about it only in 2010 too.

...it never ends!

*checks

Comment by White Rhino (not verified) Wed, 08/04/2010 - 18:06

*checks Dictionary.com*

...Huh. Sort of odd to think that so many people have been saying it wrong, but color me incorrect. =P

I miss the GameCube version of Animal Crossing, myself. The DS one was fun but I really liked the delivery favors you'd do for the people of the town.

Wild World

Comment by Kerra (not verified) Wed, 08/04/2010 - 19:48

I play AC for the DS, and I caught one and was like 'WTF is this thing'. Gave it to Blathers, and never even tried to spell/read it.
Dayum.

... This cracks me up; it

Comment by Anna (not verified) Wed, 08/04/2010 - 21:25

... This cracks me up; it wasn't until today that I learned how "coelacanth" was pronounced... And with the same slightly horrified expression. xD

Choose-Your-Adventure

Comment by Kai-chan (not verified) Wed, 08/04/2010 - 23:41

I tried to write own myself many MANY years ago but um...I triedto do the pages as they would appear...with none of the pages following sequential order. I got frustrated and confused myself. Happy to know you accomplished it though!!~~

~*KA*~

I say koala- too....

Aww you guys play animal

Comment by Kuragari (not verified) Wed, 08/04/2010 - 23:48

Aww you guys play animal crossing? Sugoku kawaii ne! XD
It would be cool to be your neighbor in animal crossing (if I had a wii -_-) My friend's been bugging me to get one to play monster hunter tri... but it's hard to justify a 200 dollar system for 2 or 3 games when I have a 360 and ps3 and not enough time to play all the games for that :p

Also, I got all 6 volumes of Scott Pilgrim today in the mail... the River City Ransom style Scott Pilgrim game coming out the 10th and the movie along with your excitement about the release of the 6th vol decided for me... so are you guys excited for the game or the movie?

Pretty pretty please with dinosaurs on top

Comment by Conlan (not verified) Thu, 08/05/2010 - 00:20

I want this.
On a t-shirt.
SO HARD. ._.
If you could do that, I think I would have to buy 3. :)

I SECOND

Comment by Katie (not verified) Fri, 08/06/2010 - 16:23

I SECOND THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Animal Crossing is my guilty

Comment by Wizard (not verified) Thu, 08/05/2010 - 01:01

Animal Crossing is my guilty pleasure :3

But I've never caught a...thing that i wont even attempt to spell.

Oh my god, I always called a

Comment by Ellemar (not verified) Thu, 08/05/2010 - 03:13

Oh my god, I always called a koal-a-canth too!
I knew that wasn't the right way, but at least I'm not the only one :)

Wait...

Comment by Yuki-chan (not verified) Fri, 08/06/2010 - 10:08

I...I think I have the same earrings as Rachelle...