Cintiq + Bande Dessinée

Cintiq + Bande Dessinée

Tue, 08/17/2010 - 23:14 by Ananth in response to and what are you

We got a Cintiq, and Yuko decided to take a crack at some color work. This comic can be considered a companion to What Are You Doing

It's hell week over here! I'm doing everything I can to have the book in this week -- so close! Commence hair-pulling.

I was in Montreal last weekend, where I had the chance to pick up some bande dessinée. I'm extremely pleased with what I picked up (and pleased to see that I still remember a good deal of my french) and would love to get some more -- does anyone have any online store recommendations for that sort of thing? Thanks a mil for your time.

See you Thursday! Back to the grind for us.

Comments

Wow

Comment by Jesus (not verified) Tue, 08/17/2010 - 23:20

Nice artwork. I usually suck at drawing skeletons. My profession is dragons and other types of monsters.

very nice, my coloring range

Comment by DisposablePal (not verified) Tue, 08/17/2010 - 23:26

very nice, my coloring range sucks. the cintiq is the way to go though, i'm looking into getting the 12 inch version soon

Any chance we are going to

Comment by John M (not verified) Tue, 08/17/2010 - 23:37

Any chance we are going to see prints of this and What Are You Doing in the future?

There's a decent chance! :)

Comment by Ananth Wed, 08/18/2010 - 11:20

There's a decent chance! :)

Well if I were you...

Comment by Julia (not verified) Tue, 08/17/2010 - 23:37

I would pick up some Spirou! It has that Tintin flavor but a little less realism and a lot more personality in its characters.

I bought mine from Amazon.fr so I dunno if you'd like to pay an obscene amount for shipping but I really recommend "Le journal d'un ingenue" (a Spirou one-shot) by Emile Bravo. Emile Bravo has a really simple style but is a really fantastic comic writer. He has "My Mommy is in America and She Met Buffalo Bill" in English that you could probably just buy off normal Amazon or order from Borders or something

I got a Spirou anthology

Comment by Ananth Wed, 08/18/2010 - 10:58

I got a Spirou anthology with a bunch of different artists in it! I haven't had a chance to leaf through it, but it seemed to have range at a good pricepoint, so I picked it up.

-twitches at the sight of

Comment by AEGiS (not verified) Tue, 08/17/2010 - 23:41

-twitches at the sight of the word "Cintiq"-

My dad's coworker just got one. He's been sending me photos of it, as well as critiques and other info on them.

I envy you so much naaaooooo
D:

Our friend Jisuk lent us one

Comment by Ananth Wed, 08/18/2010 - 10:59

Our friend Jisuk lent us one while she was traveling and it was such a good experience that we had to pick one up. Speeds things up tremendously.

As far as bande dessinee I

Comment by Matt K (not verified) Tue, 08/17/2010 - 23:41

As far as bande dessinee I go with Amazon.fr or Stuart Ng. Bengal, Joel Jurion, and Benoit Springer are faves.

Thanks so much! I know

Comment by Ananth Wed, 08/18/2010 - 10:59

Thanks so much! I know Bengal, that stuff is great. I will check out the other two, thanks for the recs!

OMG! I love how you art,

Comment by demonic.cheshire (not verified) Wed, 08/18/2010 - 00:10

OMG! I love how you art, Yuko!

Wow, Yuko's colouring is

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 08/18/2010 - 00:54

Wow, Yuko's colouring is wonderful. I love the texture the picture has too - was that added on, or the texture of the substance she did this on? It's lovely and fascinating.

The texture was in the paper

Comment by Ananth Wed, 08/18/2010 - 10:57

The texture was in the paper she worked on! Yuko had to go to a lot of pains to make sure the sheet didn't pucker while she was laying down the wash.

What sort of medium did she

Comment by Bridge (not verified) Fri, 08/20/2010 - 08:05

What sort of medium did she use?

Absolutely love it.

Oh WOW, thank you so much!

Comment by Ananth Wed, 08/18/2010 - 11:06

Oh WOW, thank you so much! I'm familiar with GOSCINNY, HERGÉ, and SFAR, but the others are new to me. I'll investigate the rest of your list!

I appreciate the offer of the loan!

Those are essentially the

Comment by Cynthia (not verified) Wed, 08/18/2010 - 18:28

Those are essentially the "Comics 101" BDs that I would recommend. Let me know if you want more suggestions, or if you'd like to take me up on my offer (want some deliciously hilarious Gotlib?), and we'll work something out!

Yay!

Comment by bevam (not verified) Wed, 08/18/2010 - 15:15

I was honestly thinking YESTERDAY that I would love to read some french comics, and was wishing I knew someone who could recommend a few!! I will also start hunting for these :D.

Glad Anath also asked this question ^^

Quel sont les BDs tu as acheté?

Comment by PT (not verified) Wed, 08/18/2010 - 05:37

Seriously tho, what were the books you bought?
I am curious, haha!

Anyway, I simply love the BDs due to the art style and I still read mostly old ones. I haven't read much on the new ones since I am the type of guy who adores nostalgia.

Also, glad to hear you enjoyed the trip, hope you come back to Montreal with more friends!~

Thus far we've got Blacksad,

Comment by Ananth Wed, 08/18/2010 - 11:07

Thus far we've got Blacksad, Skydoll, FREAKS Squeele, and an anthology collection of Spirou, and Peter Pan.

Cintiq! *_*

Comment by gale (not verified) Wed, 08/18/2010 - 06:19

Gorgeous, right down to the tooth detail! >w<

If you don't mind my asking, where on Earth did you find the Cintiq? I've been trying to get one for the past month, but they claim to be out of stock... everywhere. Tough times!

They were out of stock, with

Comment by Ananth Wed, 08/18/2010 - 11:09

They were out of stock, with the next batch arriving August/September. We just put an order in on Amazon and waited for the next shipment (took about 1-2 months). The ship time was something like August 15th-September 30th - a wide range because they were waiting on Wacom, I suspect.

BD

Comment by Sezgi Uygur (not verified) Wed, 08/18/2010 - 06:33

Enki Bilal is a great artist, born in ex-Yugoslavia, raised in France. His books are published by Dargaud and Les Humanoïdes Associés, two publishing houses which you can count on to choose other BD. Moebius and his Arzach series is another name I recommend. You probably know these names already.
If you're looking for a younger artist, Manu Larcenet - Le Combat Ordinaire has won the main prize in Angouleme Comics Festival and I highly recommend it.
A Canadian, Guy Delisle has three BDs about three absurd countries he lived in: Birmania, China and North Corea. Hard to say which one is better. I like the new movement of travel comics that capture the political movements, get in deeper. Chroniques Birmanes is a good example of it.

These sound right up my

Comment by Ananth Wed, 08/18/2010 - 11:13

These sound right up my alley. I also (pardon me) clicked through to your blog and enjoyed it. Thanks for taking the time to say something!

Nice

Comment by Matt Datchuk (not verified) Wed, 08/18/2010 - 07:12

I really enjoyed the "what are you doing" art and was hoping to see some more of the same. Beautiful work as always. You're gonna be a machine on the cintiq.

Check Cinebook

Comment by Drezz (not verified) Wed, 08/18/2010 - 07:42

Cinebook is one of the largest publishers of BD who translate the volumes into English. Check there first to see which titles have been professionally translated, and go to fnac or Amazon, or even Indigo in Quebec to purchase online (they have a majority of the titles.)

I'd suggest XIII by Van Hamme and Vance if you like espionage/conspiracy stories.

Ooh, I'll keep an eye out

Comment by Ananth Wed, 08/18/2010 - 11:16

Ooh, I'll keep an eye out for Cinebook.

Loisel

Comment by Sakamura (not verified) Wed, 08/18/2010 - 08:08

I love Peter Pan by Loisel. Looooove it!

We've got one of them,

Comment by Ananth Wed, 08/18/2010 - 11:17

We've got one of them, actually!

confused...

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 08/18/2010 - 09:06

so wait, is the dragon saying "nothing perhaps?" or are we dealing with a particularly cowardly(or sneaky?) species of skeleton?

also, this is really pretty! I'd put it on my wall if it were a poster.

BD

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 08/18/2010 - 09:15

There is a store in Quebec City that has a good selection that is called l'Imaginaire, you can find them there: www.imaginaire.com.

I haven't lived in Montreal for a while, so the stores that I knew might not exist anymore. Good luck finding thoses BDs.

I got my stuff from

Comment by Ananth Wed, 08/18/2010 - 11:19

I got my stuff from PlaneteBD.ca in Montreal - they had a table at Otakuthon. Very helpful folks, and very patient while I rifled through every book on their table. I'm sure I must have annoyed them!

Ooooh colors

Comment by Razor (not verified) Wed, 08/18/2010 - 10:40

Nice! I especially love that deep blue. Your dragon is very vibrant and fluid.

I think the skeleton is a little irked at the dragon though. "What's with the questions??"

=)

nice i live about 1 hour

Comment by land (not verified) Wed, 08/18/2010 - 11:22

nice i live about 1 hour from montreal. im not much of a book guy cant help you there, besides theres almost more english than french in montreal.

omg! You got a Cintiq? I

Comment by EB (not verified) Wed, 08/18/2010 - 17:08

omg! You got a Cintiq? I have one too. Isn't it glorious to just sit down and draw with your hand again? I hope you like using it. :)

Wish it was lighter though. The dratted thing weighs a ton! lol
^_^;

I wish you continued success!

The monster looks like a

Comment by Edward (not verified) Wed, 08/18/2010 - 18:32

The monster looks like a food dog! |D
So, even if it's not it still makes me happy. >.>

*Foo Dog My laptop keyboard

Comment by Edward again (not verified) Wed, 08/18/2010 - 18:32

*Foo Dog
My laptop keyboard likes to wig out on me.

Congrats on the Cintiq!

Comment by Bakamoichigei (not verified) Wed, 08/18/2010 - 20:17

Woo! Congrats, Yuko! Looking at the art, you've certainly put it to good use, I can't even tell that was digitally colored! How are you finding it so far?

Is it the new 21UX? :D Hell, that'd even make me envious and I _HAVE_ a Cintiq 21UX. The new version is so much nicer! T_T

I myself cannot draw at all without the aid of all the features of drawing apps like ComicStudio and IllustStudio. (And of course general digital conveniences like... Ctrl+Z) And even WITH them...yeahno.

Last week I actually won a copy of the latest English-localized version of ComicStudio (MangaStudio EX 4) so I've been trying to force myself to practice drawing even more than usual, because I certainly need the practice... (To break the threshold between actually being able to draw and...omgsototallynot.)

which kind?

Comment by Ceruse (not verified) Wed, 08/18/2010 - 23:01

Out of curiosity, which kind of cintiq? the 21UX (aka, the biggest monster available), or the smaller ones? =P

I got the big monster and I must say I love it XD

so yeah, just curious

Yuuuuuuus. What kiiind? :D

Comment by Kitsunami (not verified) Fri, 08/20/2010 - 16:06

Yuuuuuuus. What kiiind? :D I've got my eye on the 21ux...

I can't believe you didn't try poutine!

Comment by Shard (not verified) Sun, 08/22/2010 - 15:39

Poutine is more or less the best food ever, Ananth. Maybe you could get away with not trying it ANYWHERE ELSE IN CANADA, but Quebec is the birthplace of poutine! I don't even understand how it can sound gross.