New roommate!

New roommate!

Thu, 08/19/2010 - 19:01 by Ananth in response to yuko stop that

Our new roommate is Evan Dahm, who some of you might know from his works Rice Boy, Order of Tales, and most recently Vattu. Yuko is a fan! But luckily not one of those superfans that looks over you shoulder and asks questions and ... w-wait ... Welcome to NYC, Evan!

Regarding the bande dessinée: Thank you guys for all your recommendations, they were mega helpful. I was able to track some things down that will be great for our reference library. Some of you asked what I had picked up in Montreal - I only got two books, a Spirou anthology with a lot of different artists and snippets of stories, volume 1 of Flourent Maudoux's FREAKS SQUEELE, which is gorgeous. It was an impulse purchase, but one that I thankfully didn't end up regretting.

We finally got a new bookshelf, so between putting that together and filling it with books, finishing up the interior of the JW book, and slaving away over the cover, I can comfortably say that books might be driving me a little crazy this week. Maybe one day I'll sit down in front of a TV again. (That was a joke).

We will be at SPX! More details on that next week. See you guys then!

Comments

Nice, Ananth has no eyes and

Comment by Aube (not verified) Thu, 08/19/2010 - 19:15

Nice, Ananth has no eyes and Evan has no mouth. Hard to imagine there are apartments that can hold so much Awesomeness!

Wow you guys go through more

Comment by DisposablePal (not verified) Thu, 08/19/2010 - 19:19

Wow you guys go through more roommates than I do! Are you guys forming some type of comic super team? If so Evan is a perfect addition

What. That's a lot of

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 08/19/2010 - 19:21

What. That's a lot of awesome for one building XD

Doh

Comment by Matt B. (not verified) Thu, 08/19/2010 - 19:28

Crap, I missed the last post. Well, next time you go up there or are anywhere near a place that sells BD, get most everything you can by Franquin. The man's one of my idols.

whoaaaaaa

Comment by Cosmic (not verified) Thu, 08/19/2010 - 19:37

WHOA. WHOA. YOU'RE ROOMMATES WITH THAT DUDE? I'm in Yuko's boat with this one holy crap that's awesome. ;w;

...Super team of artists...

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 08/19/2010 - 19:46

I would love to see the super apartment of artists...

I was watching Evan's stream the other night with Yuko constantly coming in going "SORRY SORRY SORRY", it was pretty amusing. Now we know the real reason why she was coming in...

(Completely envious though, I only found his works about a year ago, but he's amazing...)

Link Please?

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 09/25/2010 - 20:05

Would be much appreciated. Assuming it was archived...

Cooler the Cream Cheese

Comment by Socks (not verified) Thu, 08/19/2010 - 19:48

OMG, I'm not the 50th to comment. ;)

how many room mates do you guys have? did more move out? (sorry, i read all the posts and comics, but i still don't know anything.)

!

Comment by Robert (not verified) Thu, 08/19/2010 - 20:04

Exclamation point!!!

WE NEED A GUIDE!!!

Comment by Roxy (not verified) Thu, 08/19/2010 - 20:06

The fans need a roommate guide with all your roomates, past, present, and maybe future( @___@' )!!!
yuko makes him seem so handsome <3 is he? is heeee???*curious person*
anyways, I'm with the others, too much awesomeness for one place... I wanna go live with The AWESOMES too ÇAÇ

he is.

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 08/19/2010 - 22:47

he is.

Whoooaaaa, really! That's

Comment by Lupus Draconis (not verified) Thu, 08/19/2010 - 20:08

Whoooaaaa, really!
That's awesome, and I'm so totally jealous of you guys and the inherent awesomeness of your living quarters. All you need is Aaron Diaz and you guys are set.

(Maybe Eldon Cowgur, too)

SPX

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 08/19/2010 - 20:19

Ahhhhhh I thought I would be going to SPX this year but I have other plans! Darn it! And I thought I could finally meet you guys. :(

Also, you guys have the coolest roommates ever. Where do you find them? ;D

AHHHH! You live with him?!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 08/19/2010 - 21:21

AHHHH! You live with him?! *o* LUUUUUCKY!

I'm a fan of Rice Boy. It was one of the most influential comics to me.

His fear sez no....

Comment by Psycho Gaze (not verified) Thu, 08/19/2010 - 21:49

BUT HIS MOUSTACHE SEZ YAAAAY.
Serioulsy though, you lucky bastards!

Aww..

Comment by First-time Poster (not verified) Thu, 08/19/2010 - 22:01

I love how you guys have made yourselves so real to so many readers and we haven't even met you guys. I really enjoy this comic and I go to this website like, ten times, every Tuesday and Thursday just to check for updates. xD

Keep up the good work!

Titles

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 08/19/2010 - 22:27

I wonder what made Evan choose "Vattu" as a title. It's the pet name for raspberries in Finnish for one thing, but also dangerously close (in spelling and pronunciation) to a rude expression. Probably nothing to do with this!

Are you from Finland?

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 08/21/2010 - 02:54

sama suomeksi.

Origins

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 08/21/2010 - 06:48

I hang out on the forum for

Comment by kai (not verified) Tue, 08/24/2010 - 00:42

I hang out on the forum for his comics, and he's stated that he had no idea that Vattu was a word in Finnish until it was brought to his attention recently. Any meaning it's meant to have within the world of the comic is likely quite different, if any is meant at all.

Thanks

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 08/24/2010 - 16:26

Okay, I thought as much - thanks for letting us know! Love how things like this happen with languages.

the webcomic singularity

Comment by RivkaZ (not verified) Thu, 08/19/2010 - 23:07

Oh man no way! That is too awesome! :D your apartment is going to hit maximum comics-genius density and implode! Which... wouldn't be awesome, so be careful. D:

oh man oh man

Comment by lady rae (not verified) Thu, 08/19/2010 - 23:55

1) eeeeeefangirliness.

2) I think Gonta might have stiff competition in the Best "Oh Lordy A Terror" category.

I thought the same thing

Comment by Atara (not verified) Fri, 08/20/2010 - 00:39

I thought the same thing about Gonta! He's like, the human form of Gonta.

He really is quite quiet!

Comment by Evan's former roommate (not verified) Fri, 08/20/2010 - 00:03

He really is quite quiet!

The First Panel...

Comment by Jonathan Day (not verified) Fri, 08/20/2010 - 04:59

I'm already on the floor. It's just so perfect, remind me of the "If Rook could talk comic". They get me right in the funny bone.

Jesus, people.

Comment by Will (not verified) Fri, 08/20/2010 - 07:10

Jesus fucking christ, people. He's a person, she's a person, the other fucking he is a person. THEY ARE ALL FUCKING PEOPLE!

The are seemingly nice people, yes. They create things I enjoy, also yes (for which I respect each of them, and wish I could spend/give more)

But they are still just people. Please stop swarming them. This cute couple probably suited up with Mr. Dahm (odd name >-<) pause: (because of this reason. The reason of not being swarmed by attacking/molesting beings.)

By treating them as gods, you disrespect both them, and the strange and laughable belief's of the religious community. I suppose I'm fine with one,(laughable gods) but the other inconveniences these fine people; which I have an issue with.

I wish you well; nice, cute peoples.

Please repopulate our simple, sad, planet.

I beg you. Things have gotten bad.... :(

Have sex with all the smartness you can... Please... For humanity.... :(

Also. Just saying. I'm kinda smart and handsome. I'm also pretty free thinking; and I'd love to see both of you in my bed: or yours, or some where else. Basically, just somewhere else. Safe from bombs.... and stuff... Stuff not related to our sexiness.... Sexiness which would be awesome.

Please give this some consideration. I can assure you that the sexual relations will be the best you have ever received. This is my word; and I will swear it upon whatever you feel necessary.

Seriously. THE BEST.

...What. I can't tell if

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 08/20/2010 - 09:08

...What.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

SWM Seeks SWF Safe From Bombs

Comment by conrad Fri, 08/20/2010 - 14:40

While I suppose we could bring in some cash by putting up a Johnny Wander Singles page, I think this kind of solicitation is best done on Craigslist. Just a thought.

K.

Comment by M (not verified) Fri, 08/20/2010 - 14:44

Cool story, bro.

Too long, didn't read.

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sun, 08/22/2010 - 21:21

Too long, didn't read.

OMG

Comment by susan (not verified) Fri, 08/20/2010 - 07:41

I LOVE riceboy! That guy is great and you know him?!?

Is it odd that I knew

Comment by Flowerfoot (not verified) Fri, 08/20/2010 - 08:28

Is it odd that I knew EXACTLY who Evan was at the first panel? Needless to say my eyes dilated in surprise. I knew Evan was moving, didn't know it was with you guys!

Weirdest real life crossover ever! I expect a lot of objects and people will start falling at key points in your lives now.

I don't blame you.

Comment by NTG (not verified) Fri, 08/20/2010 - 09:05

Yuko, I'd do the same thing!!

Compatability results are...?

Comment by Skie (not verified) Fri, 08/20/2010 - 11:30

What does Rook think of Evan?

I'd probably do the same

Comment by AryCapricat (not verified) Fri, 08/20/2010 - 13:20

I'd probably do the same thing if he was my room mate. Or just sit in a corner in fear of being an annoying nuisance.

By the way, I heard you guys are going to Kitunekon in Feburary. I bought a table at the Artisit Alley there.
Can't wait to meet ya!

OH NOES

Comment by T9SayWha (not verified) Fri, 08/20/2010 - 15:40

LOL Poor Evan. Hope Yuko doesn't tear him apart with her fandom :P

It has now been proven: all

Comment by Amandazon (not verified) Fri, 08/20/2010 - 17:32

It has now been proven: all the cool comic artists know each other. Jealousyyy

We all know each other

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sun, 08/22/2010 - 22:53

We all know each other because we are colleagues and we go to the same conventions. There is no secret club.

......

Comment by Yuki-chan (not verified) Fri, 08/20/2010 - 18:33

Do...do none of you have pupils?

Only me and John.

Comment by conrad Fri, 08/20/2010 - 20:25

Only me and John.

THE evan dahm? ZOMG!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 08/20/2010 - 19:22

O__o wow, so now we can get a Maw Keychain with a Riceboy book?

Evan Dahm!

Comment by Trae (not verified) Fri, 08/20/2010 - 19:39

You guys live with EVAN F'ing DAHM?!
He is the human embodiment of imagination. Rice Boy is one of the greatest comic series of our day. He is seriously amazing, and his work is nothing short of inspirational genius. I envy you.

Oh my goodness.

Comment by Tea (not verified) Fri, 08/20/2010 - 19:49

What a ridiculously cool roommate! I am a fan of both comics and I am jealous!

Nice!

Comment by Dracojounin7 (not verified) Fri, 08/20/2010 - 21:30

Now all we need is Dan Shive, Rich Burlew, and Mookie to move in and all 5 of my favorite comics will come from one household!

W-What!?

Comment by RikaNeko (not verified) Fri, 08/20/2010 - 21:44

You have Evan as a roommate?! Aw, you guys. How do you manage to get so much awesomeness in one apartment?

Gonta

Comment by Rachel (not verified) Fri, 08/20/2010 - 23:14

His fretting as Yuko closes in makes me think of Gonta...

OH! I absolutely love Evan's

Comment by popcorngoo (not verified) Sat, 08/21/2010 - 03:36

OH! I absolutely love Evan's stuff! I only recently read Rice Boy and am working on Vattu. But I can relate to Yuko here. I met one of my long time web comic idols and I was such a fan girl about it. I just hope I wasn't too annoying. xD great job as always on the comic!

omgomgomg

Comment by Jodie (not verified) Sat, 08/21/2010 - 05:53

omg i'm a fan too

can i be your newer roommate

XD

WOW y'all getting a new

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 08/21/2010 - 12:42

WOW y'all getting a new artist roomate is cooler than sliced bread! Well I just wanted to say I'm happy for you guys and I love yours and his comics! Keep up the good work!