Tonight @ Death by Audio in Williamsburg, Brooklyn - Doors open @ 8PM

Yuko took the time to make this one extra-gorgeous - and it's a neat way to illustrate some of her process.

Automated phone trees are pretty annoying. Here's a handy website : Get2Human.com has a comprehensive list of phone numbers and instructions for reaching a human after dialing. Sorry I didn't think of it earlier, Yuko! It only came to me while I was writing this up.

Tonight (Yes, tonight - we were a little late on the heads up for this one) we'll be with Jamie Noguchi at Death by Audio in Williamsburg, Brooklyn doing a Super Art Fight. Peelander Yellow will be DJing when the bands aren't playing. Doors open @ 8 PM! Here's the info. Come by if you can!! Sorry for the late notice!

As soon as I post this I have to put on some pants and run out the door - see you Thursday!

Comments

Super art fight??

Comment by Dori (not verified) Tue, 08/24/2010 - 17:36

That sounds so exciting! : D Doesn't Mr. B. C. Slaski do photography for it sometimes? Unless I'm completely mixing up events...

Anyway, hope you guys have fun! You should re-cap later : D

:D

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 08/24/2010 - 19:02

No pants ftw!

I'm curious as to what

Comment by White Rhino (not verified) Tue, 08/24/2010 - 19:08

I'm curious as to what Little Yuko is saying to.. potentially her dad in the bottom-left panel.

Looks like some kind of denial that being an artist for a living is a bad choice or something.

Unless I'm mistaken,

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 08/24/2010 - 19:23

it says, "put me out of my misery".

So...

Comment by Melissa (not verified) Tue, 08/24/2010 - 21:20

Does this mean that being an artist for a living IS a bad choice?...

not at all.

Comment by Aube (not verified) Tue, 08/24/2010 - 23:35

It's definitely not for everyone. It take loads of commitment and at times really cuts into your social life (a lot). It is a long and rigorous road that's not for the faint of heart but if you have determination and love for it then by all means do it, I am and even though I just started the prospect of being able to consider myself with the "in crowd" of all the amazing people like the JW crew, Jeff Jacques, Dahm, etc etc is plenty of inspiration.

I had no idea...

Comment by Minshy (not verified) Wed, 08/25/2010 - 09:07

Wow, I had no idea that an artist's life would be that hard. I was surprised that even an artist's social life would suffer!

I'm a doctor, and the way you described what an artist's life sounded like, sounded like MY life. Haha.

Whatever you do, no matter how hard it is, you have to really love it.

Ohh, so it's not necessarily

Comment by White Rhino (not verified) Wed, 08/25/2010 - 17:57

Ohh, so it's not necessarily having anything to do with the picture of the older guy at the bottom-left. I thought they were related, but considering the rest of the doodleflow, I guess they're not.

Thanks. =D

Amazing comic! Also,

Comment by Snazzy (not verified) Tue, 08/24/2010 - 19:58

Amazing comic! Also, pantless ftw lol

Phone Trees :(

Comment by Amarathine (not verified) Tue, 08/24/2010 - 20:30

I work as a loan verification specialist for a bank and all I do all day is deal with phone trees. I have a lot of them memorized. Which is sad but I also learned the tricks for skipping ahead, so when I have to deal with one outside of work it's a breeze. Silver lining!!

Ffff-

Comment by E-rip-mave (not verified) Tue, 08/24/2010 - 21:57

Just makes me feel bad.

*Headdesk*

Comment by Nekhs (not verified) Tue, 08/24/2010 - 23:00

-rant-

Working customer service: "Oh, you've ... got entirely the wrong department. kthxbai." Get 2 Human, from what I've heard, is an excellent way to get to the -wrong- human. Transfers don't really make your travel time any shorter, in my experience. A two hour hold for the right department is still a two hour hold, even if someone helpfully (in about five, six? minutes) transfers you over there ... after you waited half an hour to even get to them.

... though to be fair, I've had to navigate my share of automated phone trees since starting mah jerb. They're annoying, but if you listen carefully they usually get to the right department ... unlike this one representative (in, I later discovered, the billing department) who helpfully transferred me (an employee, not a customer!) to their RETENTIONS desk. About a billing question. What.

The WORST automated systems though, are the ones who have a machine that sounds -just- human enough to REALLY catch your attention. So you can tune back in, to be told to please continue holding.

-endrant-

- also, love the comic! It is shiny beans, in general, this one was just more relevant to me than most. I have never posted here before. How about that.

I would love to buy a print

Comment by Kuragari (not verified) Tue, 08/24/2010 - 23:17

I would love to buy a print in color of the 2nd to last panel. Hope you have fun tonight!

Random Random

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 08/24/2010 - 23:20

Ah, automated phone trees. If that isn't a trial of patience, I don't know what is.

Oh, I want to plug this beautiful comic, http://www.cealdiancomic.com/ . The artwork is gorgeous, the story is lovely, but...........there are hardly any readers. I do not know why! I'm not the author, believe me, just a concerned fan. Now, I know you JW folks are people of good taste, so why not give this a try?

cealdian

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 08/25/2010 - 04:28

Its got one more reader now. its actually really good.

Excellent

Comment by Random Random (not verified) Wed, 08/25/2010 - 08:07

Woo. One more reader for Cealdian! Now, I hope Ananth-san or Yuko-san will like it too.

I saw a video of Super Art Fight and it's just awesome. I wish we had these kinds of events in my country >___<

I wonder if Yuko-san will use Maw...

Thanks for the rec!

Comment by JadeC (not verified) Thu, 08/26/2010 - 06:49

I am also now reading Cealdian :)

Wow, thanks for the link.

Comment by Stuff Artists Like (not verified) Thu, 08/26/2010 - 18:21

Wow, thanks for the link. I'll definitely be reading.

See, it's these sorts of

Comment by Hannah (not verified) Wed, 08/25/2010 - 05:19

See, it's these sorts of comics that really inspire me as an artist. :) Beautiful!

Hey, is that Pythias?

Comment by Zak (not verified) Wed, 08/25/2010 - 07:38

Hey, is that Pythias? Haven't seen him in forever....

:D

Comment by Aido Thu, 08/26/2010 - 20:35

Hahaha, yeah it's totally him.  Good eye!  I don't update my LJ often these days, but he usually makes at least one appearance in every post.  He's definitely still around!

That's so close!

Comment by Judy K (not verified) Wed, 08/25/2010 - 12:43

I've never heard of Super Art Fight before (not that I've been known to pay attention.... cough), but that location is SUPER close to where I live! I have no excuse not to go, it sounds fun and I'll be sure to root for Yuko! If... um... if that's how this sort of thing works. Maybe I should just stand there quietly. :<

But yeah, I'm so glad I visited (your site) today~ See you there :D

Aw man, if you were there

Comment by Ananth Wed, 08/25/2010 - 20:39

Aw man, if you were there you should have said hello! We don't bite. ;)

I... It...

Comment by Judy K (not verified) Wed, 08/25/2010 - 22:07

I got the date wrong........ ..... Q_Q I totally didn't check the date of this post. I tend to check all my bookmarked webcomics every day (even on days they don't usually update, JUST IN CASE they post something extra~), so I could have sworn that I checked here yesterday and there was no update. I came on this morning and saw the update then, so when you said "tonight" I assumed you meant TODAY's tonight. DX

Needless to say I went over there and stood around for about 3 hours hoping I'd see you guys. :( I should have known something was off when there were only about 7 people there. A band called Slow Animals played for a bit and then I realized they weren't on the set list, so I asked the girl sitting out front if the Super Art Fight was tonight and she gave me a look like "Wtf is Super Art Fight?".

Oh well, things like this always happen to me. ^^; Next time I'll be sure to check the date first. I hope you guys will do another sometime! I was so looking forward to it. :(

That's okay. Ananth almost

Comment by Jamie Noguchi (not verified) Thu, 08/26/2010 - 07:35

That's okay. Ananth almost got the date wrong as well until I showed up at their door and said, "Hey! We got a show tonight!"

The main problem with phone

Comment by Reynard (not verified) Wed, 08/25/2010 - 14:27

The main problem with phone trees is that you can't take a chainsaw to 'em...

Man, I remember Josephine

Comment by Tanya (not verified) Thu, 08/26/2010 - 16:55

Man, I remember Josephine the dandelion seed girl! I hope you guys do something with her for JW, the sketches from years ago were amazing.

Beautiful Daydream

Comment by John Will Balsley (not verified) Thu, 08/26/2010 - 20:15

Great work on this one, I've only been following for a few days!

I like all the intricate details of the day dreams

Cheers!

For some businesses, if you

Comment by Jennifer (not verified) Sun, 08/29/2010 - 18:12

For some businesses, if you swear, raise your voice or say the word "human," they automatically transfer you.

Character...

Comment by Leslie (not verified) Fri, 08/19/2011 - 15:00

The drawing of the dude in the very bottom left corner looks like "Dr. Marco" from FMA :B

... Just sayin'

ps: reading your comic "front to back" while at work on this fine friday.

Thanks for keeping me sane <3