Conversations overheard

Conversations overheard

Tue, 08/31/2010 - 14:09 by Ananth in response to karate 101

He was really excited about chi! Just something I overheard on the subway on the way back from an excursion into the city. Public transit is good for listening in on other peoples' conversations, often whether you want to or not. But I usually want to - sometimes I get a good quote for dialogue or some insight into a group of people (like Wall St).

I should mention that Yuko drew this comic despite being sick - thank you! There are beads of sweat in this ink!! A testament to her grit and dedication.

We'll be at SPX Sept 11-12! We're at table F10, pretty close to the entrance! We'll post a map with our location next week.

Comments

They call him Brookling.

Comment by Flamma (not verified) Tue, 08/31/2010 - 14:28

Another great subway pastime, looking for thug like characters with cute things. Personal best: group of a few dewrag crowned cuties drinking pink bubble teas. <3

Feel better, Ms Yuko! Hopefully this heat will let up soon and give you a break.

If that was their master....

Comment by M3rcd (not verified) Tue, 08/31/2010 - 14:31

Those 3 students will be quite dangerous....

hahahaha

Comment by Snazzy (not verified) Tue, 08/31/2010 - 15:01

Classic Brooklyn. Gotta love it.

BTW, you guys going to NEWW? I'm kinda tempted to haul my ass up there, but the trip + work the next day might prevent me from doing so. :(

Suway Fun

Comment by John Will Balsley (not verified) Tue, 08/31/2010 - 16:16

When I was living in Chicago it was definitely an interesting experience hearing other people on the subway/ L-Train. I heard everything from crazy people saying, " Haven't killed anyone today...", to religious zealots screaming at gang bangers, to loads of drunk mobs slurring their words and getting into fights about the Cubs game at rival teams and lots of open drug deals. Always a fun time!

Such dedication and selflessness

Comment by Otakop (not verified) Tue, 08/31/2010 - 16:33

Hope you feel better soon, Miss Yuko. Gambatte kudasai!

Complete dedication to her art

Comment by Klick (not verified) Tue, 08/31/2010 - 17:24

I hope she feels better, just make sure she's well rested and well hydrated. Here's to your recovery Yuko!

Feel better, Yuko!

Comment by Reli (not verified) Tue, 08/31/2010 - 17:33

This would make a great Demotivator! ♥

Though, Yuko works so hard for us to have comics on time. c: Feel better sweetheart!

That deadly, deadly chi XD

Comment by Fraoch (not verified) Tue, 08/31/2010 - 17:43

Yuko go to bed and rest! Hilarious subway conversations can wait.

I seen't it!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 08/31/2010 - 17:47

<3 as a martial arts instructor, and a student of a Brooklyn Sifu, I love this strip to death.

maybe he actually meant 'tai

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 08/31/2010 - 18:28

maybe he actually meant 'tai chi' (short for tai chi chuan) instead of 'they chi'

FINALLY. A way to conserve

Comment by Ben Hobson (not verified) Tue, 08/31/2010 - 19:07

FINALLY. A way to conserve my own chi when I'm surrounded. If only I'd known sooner...

The three students...

Comment by Hikkit536 (not verified) Tue, 08/31/2010 - 19:21

reminds me of that scene from Monty Python where there were a bunch of people being taught how to defend yourself against fruit.

Poor Yuko

Comment by Mark (not verified) Tue, 08/31/2010 - 22:39

You should let her take a break until she's better. However much I love these comics, I wouldn't want them at the cost of poor Yuko's health. Eat some soup, get plenty of rest and liquids, and come back to us when you're 100%.

Get well soon Yuko!! :D

Comment by flyingmooses (not verified) Wed, 09/01/2010 - 01:33

Get well soon Yuko!! :D

CHI?

Comment by biggo (not verified) Wed, 09/01/2010 - 03:04

So he used, erm, computer-human interaction on his opponents?
Lucky they were just three youngsters. In a really dangerous situation he'd have to resort to more than one chi, that is, cheese.

I totally want

Comment by Alos (not verified) Wed, 09/01/2010 - 08:16

...a shirt that says "I used they chi against them."

eeeeEEEEeeee

Comment by Origamigryphon (not verified) Wed, 09/01/2010 - 12:14

I can't wait to see you guys at SPX ;w;

Also Yuko plz get better ;_; Have Ananth make you soup!

Funny, my sensei is from

Comment by Tomas Catz (not verified) Wed, 09/01/2010 - 13:40

Funny, my sensei is from philly, and he'd prolly throw a flying fit if he heard someone say that XD

Pronunciation

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 09/01/2010 - 13:58

Did the man pronounce the word as "chee" or "key"? Funny both ways, but I've got to know!

Aww poor Yuko... she went

Comment by Kuragari (not verified) Wed, 09/01/2010 - 18:43

Aww poor Yuko... she went all japanese salaryman for our entertainment... hope she gets better soon.

the longer I think about

Comment by Atheryne (not verified) Wed, 09/01/2010 - 21:42

the longer I think about that statement the funnier it gets. I'm having trouble not laughing into my soup.

I need that phrase on a

Comment by JPfromNC (not verified) Thu, 09/02/2010 - 05:22

I need that phrase on a shirt. Preferrably featuring a sagely Italian sifu with a 70's stache.

I second this notion. I'd

Comment by Snazzy (not verified) Thu, 09/02/2010 - 09:52

I second this notion. I'd pay to wear that.

Martial Arts

Comment by Someguy (not verified) Sat, 09/18/2010 - 00:27

I always tell this to my friends: whenever you're talking about martial arts or practicing it, everything sounds like an innuendo.

We had a case where guys on the floor of our dorm would listen to us practice just to laugh at the verbal aspect of it.

Thanks for the sharing I

Comment by marital arts (not verified) Tue, 12/18/2012 - 07:21

Thanks for the sharing I know this is kind a off topic however , I’d figured I’d ask. Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest writing a blog post or vice-versa? My site goes over a lot of the same subjects as yours and I believe we could greatly benefit from each other. If you might be interested feel free to shoot me an email. I look forward to hearing from you! Superb blog by the way!