Adam WarRock's new song: Call Me Johnny Wander

(I'm writing this on the bus going up 95, so bear with any typos - I'll make corrections when I'm home.)

Adam WarRock did a song called Call Me Johnny Wander - it's based on JW, and - well, give it a listen, it's amazing. And see if you can catch all the references - even I was struggling to keep up!

If you don't know Adam WarRock, you should! He did the Ira Glass song, which made the rounds a while ago. Adam WarRock makes rap fun again. His upcoming album, The War For Infinity, is an awesome tribute to the old days of comics and rap, which he hammers together into music that gets me pumped about making comics. It's all I've been listening to the past few days! Going to buy the hell out of that album when it comes out. Unlike a lot of other musical artists, WarRock keeps an audio sketchbook on his blog, to which he regularly adds a new tracklog that goes into his archive of tracklogs. For clarification, a tracklog is a song, fully-realized - much the same way an artist fills up their sketchbook with drawings. He is constantly honing his craft, by practicing and creating on a regular basic. His stuff crosses the spectrum in subject matter - sometimes religion, politics and life, often COMICS and pop culture and internet culture.

I had the pleasure of meeting him at SPX this past weekend - he came by and picked up a book, and then came back later and introduced himself. When he passed me his card, I did a doubletake. There was just no way. Just when I was too sideswiped to respond, he told me he wanted to do a Johnny Wander song and I thought I was losing my mind. Adam WarRock delivered, which is what I want to say about him. He's obviously good at what he does - just listen to his first single "The Silver Age"- but the thing I admire most is that he's consistent, and consistently sharpening his skills.

A few words about the song itself - for me, it is pure nostalgia. 3 years of crazy moves and crazy times compressed into 4 minutes. It feels good.

You done good, WarRock. You done good.

Comments

Heck yeah!

Comment by Euge (A WarRock) (not verified) Fri, 09/17/2010 - 12:51

Thanks guys! Just for clarity's sake, the album's going to be titled "The War For Infinity", and "The Silver Age" is the first single. Out Oct 7! (obligatory self promotion over)

It was so great meeting you guys. I'm so glad you enjoyed the song. It was my pleasure to make. Plus, I loved the chance to use that REM song in a track. :P

But I'll be a fan, and a zealous one at that, for life. Hope we cross paths many times in the future. Also, the offer still stands for Conrad to come on stage and rap/dance if I do a show in Brooklyn, so long as he wears his shades.

Amazing

Comment by Aube (not verified) Fri, 09/17/2010 - 14:49

great work on the song, all of them in fact. definitely going to keep my ears open for what you have in store, can't wait for your album.

If you want do workouts at

Comment by Ventel (not verified) Sun, 06/23/2013 - 03:47

If you want do workouts at home, choose best treadmill under 1000 dollars. Elliptical machine is a good fitness trainer for home use.

Oh shit, I'm really sorry!

Comment by Ananth Sat, 09/18/2010 - 00:11

Oh shit, I'm really sorry! Total typo on my part - the bus is just mega distracting. Corrected!

Johnny Wander | Updates Tuesday and Thursday

Comment by twitter followers (not verified) Wed, 05/29/2013 - 06:11

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this blog.
I'm hoping to view the same high-grade content from you in the future as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities has motivated me to get my own website now ;). In order to twitter followers to the twitter accounts, there are numerous more efficient means.
buy twitter followers cheap it will be an exceptionally smart investment decision for ones enterprise.

Johnny Wander | Updates Tuesday and Thursday

Comment by link building (not verified) Wed, 03/06/2013 - 21:09

Hey there! Would you mind if I share your blog with my twitter group?
There's a lot of people that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know. Cheers

Holy S***

Comment by Aube (not verified) Fri, 09/17/2010 - 14:47

Wow, you guys meet some of the coolest and most talented people. I love how your comic influence people like that and the lyrics really portray why I love the comic so much. I think it's safe to say a lot of people feel that way about JW. Keep up the awesome, all of you.

I'm pretty sure this means

Comment by Samm Neiland (not verified) Fri, 09/17/2010 - 16:19

I'm pretty sure this means now we have to make a sort of "Inspired by the comic Johnny Wander Soundtrack."

Now we just need like.... 10 other artists for the job. Any other takers? :)

This is just...

Comment by B-San (not verified) Fri, 09/17/2010 - 18:31

... Wicked! I'm happy that you got a song all about your webcomic. The song is really great and I'm looking forward to listen to more of WarRock :D

"Runnin' up the street with peppers burnin' up your mouth!" XD

This is just...

Comment by B-San (not verified) Fri, 09/17/2010 - 18:36

Oh oops I made a mistake, it's "Runnin' down the house peppers burnin' up your mouth"

:D

Comment by El Miche (not verified) Thu, 09/23/2010 - 00:54

haha, your version was more visually stimulating, now I must critically analyze this song's lyrics...

[-.-]

So Awesome

Comment by Dori (not verified) Fri, 09/17/2010 - 19:37

I've been listening to the song non stop for a good while now! xD It's really great, in many ways I can not describe xD

I am now going to attempt to read all of your comic whilst listening to it. I am hoping it will be the most cash.

I'm listening to this song

Comment by Stuff Artists Like (not verified) Sat, 09/18/2010 - 15:05

I'm listening to this song right now....how awesome. It came right when I was looking everywhere for some new hip-hop mixtapes or tracks (Rafael Casal, The Hip-Hop Docktrine 3) Thanks, what a great addition!!!!!

Aww, I was really hoping

Comment by ray (not verified) Sun, 09/19/2010 - 14:37

Aww, I was really hoping he'd do a reference about the ants in the smoke detector. Oh well - it was awesome none the less!

Call me Johnny Wander

Comment by William Righetti (not verified) Mon, 09/20/2010 - 23:46

Whoa. A rap worth listening to. I like.

Pretty awesome track! Makes

Comment by Chami (not verified) Wed, 09/22/2010 - 00:52

Pretty awesome track! Makes me feel a bit better about my post-college life.

"Don't go back to Rockville"? It's a rather cute town... >_>

haha

Comment by Sir Joe the Banana, the Third. (not verified) Wed, 09/22/2010 - 15:48

Great comic, I always love how sorta scary/criticalish John can be! "Univercities pay him to not speak there" xD

I freaking adore that song,

Comment by Digi (not verified) Wed, 09/22/2010 - 17:55

I freaking adore that song, not gonna lie.

Inevitable WMV? (Webcomic Music Video)

Comment by AckAckAck (not verified) Fri, 09/24/2010 - 02:27

just checking youtube, no one made it yet, maybe soon...

ROFL!

Comment by El Miche (not verified) Mon, 09/27/2010 - 23:11

That baboon appears to be riding an owl quite majestically...
so full of PROUDNESS.

sooo...

Comment by El Miche (not verified) Wed, 09/29/2010 - 02:08

Does Yuko draw these by hand and then scan them? I'm dying to know what pens/brushes she uses and how the strips get that "scanned" look... DYING. Like a TOMATOOOOOOO. x_x

She pencils and inks by

Comment by Ananth Wed, 09/29/2010 - 08:47

She pencils and inks by hand, generally with a brush. After that she drops in the tones digitally.

onice

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 09/29/2010 - 21:45

thanks, I need to get me some software...

Wow!

Comment by the guy who is not from anywhere (not verified) Thu, 09/30/2010 - 20:59

i dont think many ordinary people have had songs written about them, but according to my count you guys now have TWO! thats amazing. good songs too!

=D

Comment by BeanDelphiki (not verified) Fri, 10/01/2010 - 19:14

Spent all day reading your comic and now I am both caught up and a huge huge fan! Are you guys coming to A-kon in Dallas next year?

XD Can't wait to see Guybrush

Comment by Elkian (not verified) Sun, 10/03/2010 - 20:50

XD Can't wait to see Guybrush

A while back I had to wear a

Comment by Elkian (not verified) Sun, 10/03/2010 - 20:52

A while back I had to wear a suit (long story) and with my (still long at that point) hair pulled back, I realized I was nearly identical to Penn of Penn and Teller (if I was a foot taller, male, and had dark skin and no glasses, but yeah)

hmm Hair?

Comment by El Miche (not verified) Mon, 10/04/2010 - 01:38

speaking of hair, I'm genuinely curious... Ananth, I just saw a hair growth cream commercial, and some guy was like "Yeah, I used to be the 'hat guy', but after using [insert product name here] I'm not the 'hat guy' anymore... no more hats" (at this point he seems to be on the verge of tears). So I'm wondering Ananth... are you balding?

Re: hmm Hair?

Comment by Dannyboy (not verified) Tue, 10/05/2010 - 17:05

El Miche, I'm gonna refer you to comic number 135, entitled "very important questions: 1". I think it will answer your question for you.

Nope! I wear a hat because

Comment by Ananth Wed, 10/06/2010 - 11:48

Nope! I wear a hat because my eyes are light-sensitive - full-on exposure makes 'em hurt (and I'm not a sunglasses guy).

I CHOOSE YOU, MAW!!!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 10/05/2010 - 17:08

You guys should make a portrait-dex for the Maw.

portraitdex.tumblr.com

That is totally something you should do.

I have to say that the way

Comment by Randi (not verified) Tue, 10/05/2010 - 21:50

I have to say that the way you draw Gonta makes him my favourite character of Johnny Wander for one simple reason.

My step-mother's cat is EXACTLY the same way! You can walk towards him and he gets all O_O but then he runs away because he's so scared. Jump towards him and he's Gone.

It's hilarious, and me and my stepmum love your characterization of him.<3

So far I'm loving every

Comment by AryCapricat (not verified) Fri, 10/08/2010 - 08:38

So far I'm loving every single comic Evan appears in.

wow

Comment by Alain (not verified) Fri, 10/22/2010 - 19:34

If this be a filler then bring on some more of them.

This painting/drawing/image was on the "made me fall of my chair" level on my scale.

this design would make a

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Mon, 10/25/2010 - 09:52

this design would make a great shrit.

Love

Comment by Jonn(GuildMaster)Poirier (not verified) Wed, 11/10/2010 - 23:21

I absolutly love u guys and ur comic i spent three days just reading every one. Just to much fun XD. If you guys are intrested this is a link to a Gif i made of one of ur comics of Rook http://www.makeagif.com/LUqyvM

Good Job Guys+Girl

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 11/17/2010 - 10:53

Hiyas, never actually posted a comment before, but I've been reading your web comic weekly, with it in a little favorite tab and everything Wohoo~ I love the art style and the humor. Maybe it's my fall semester finals getting to me but I noticed a minor forgotten line in the new page, "your jeers only make him stronger", GUESS WHERE IT IS~

answer: sessalg s'nhoJ fo mirb

Johnny Wander | Updates Tuesday and Thursday

Comment by more twitter followers (not verified) Thu, 05/30/2013 - 10:26

Everything is very open with a very clear explanation
of the issues. It was definitely informative. Your website
is very helpful. Many thanks for sharing! You may more twitter followers from several retailers with very affordable rates.

buy real twitter followers

hoot cat

Comment by artist formally known as Mike (not verified) Wed, 11/24/2010 - 21:48

I like hoot cat but catapede is a close call as well

I am sure a lot of vegans

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 11/26/2010 - 03:33

I am sure a lot of vegans and vegetarians can relate to experiences like this. You have no idea how many times I am offered a hot dog by people who've known I'm a vegetarian for years.

Totally unrelated to anything about this week's comic

Comment by betrippin (not verified) Tue, 12/07/2010 - 22:48

If there was to ever be a picture of Ananth posted anywhere I will not look at it.

I refuse to believe that Ananth has face under his hat

connecting

Comment by boardshorts (not verified) Mon, 08/01/2011 - 13:59

It is really cool that you were able to connect like this. Adam WarRock does a great job. I would be glad to be in your shoes in this case. Thanks for writing this up.

Awesome song! Especially

Comment by Byfiles (not verified) Mon, 09/05/2011 - 08:30

Awesome song! Especially glad that it is based off the awsome and my favourite webcomic Johnny Wanderer! I'm his great fan))

Johnny Wander | Updates Tuesday and Thursday

Comment by book of ra kostenlos testen (not verified) Thu, 05/09/2013 - 14:31

Just desire to say your article is as astounding.
The clarity in your post is simply great and i can
assume you're an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the enjoyable work.

This was a fantastic post.

Comment by dual saw (not verified) Sun, 10/16/2011 - 22:28

This was a fantastic post. Really loved reading your weblog post. The information was very informative and helpful.

This is a spectacular

Comment by christmas cards (not verified) Thu, 12/15/2011 - 03:31

This is a spectacular article that I have really enjoyed. Hopefully I can learn more from your valuable experience. Thanks a lot for sharing this and please keep on posting more.

Youve done a brilliant job

Comment by marirea penisului (not verified) Wed, 03/07/2012 - 02:27

Youve done a brilliant job making sure that people understand where youre coming from. And let me tell you, I get it. Great stuff and I cant wait to read more of your blogs. What youve got to say is important and needs to be read.This article was written well ,I like…I will keep your new articles.I would like to thnkx for the efforts you have put in writing this blog. I am hoping the same high-grade blog post from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing skills have inspired me to get my own blog going now. Actually blogging is spreading its wings and growing quickly. Your write up is a good example.

great infor

Comment by buy 5-hydroxytryptophan (not verified) Thu, 03/29/2012 - 10:02

testosterone replacement therapy

Comment by testosterone replacement therapy (not verified) Tue, 06/26/2012 - 23:34

There's a lot to understand about media rss 1.5. We were able to provide you with some of the facts above but there is still plenty more to write about in subsequent articles.

I am a big fan of Adam

Comment by more here (not verified) Fri, 11/09/2012 - 06:41

I am a big fan of Adam WarRock’s songs and I would like to thank you for posting something new information about his release of the album. I hope he will rock in the next album also. Thanks for supporting him and this kind of activities keep him going.