JW Vol. 1 now available online!

RIP Yuko's Fire Escape Garden, 2010-2010. I am working on the eulogy.

Guys! Johnny Wander Vol. 1 is now up for sale in the store! We're selling two versions - the book by itself and then the special edition, which includes a sketchplate sticker signed by us, a JW sticker, a random bookmark to the first 25 book orders, and a hat drawn onto the Maw logo on the first page of the book. You can include in the order comments what type of hat you'd like, and Yuko will sketch it into the book. If you don't pick a hat, no worries - we'll pick one for you! Here's some shots of the book:

Hope you like it! I'm biased, of course, but the printing came out beautifully - everything is crisp, the blacks are so very black, and the spot varnish on the cover really shines. Self-publishing the book is the biggest plunge we've taken over the course of JW, but you guys really voiced your enthusiasm and so we decided to suck it up and go for it. As always, thanks for your support! We hope you like it!

Comments

HUZZAH!!! XD

Comment by Bettina Marie (not verified) Tue, 09/28/2010 - 12:35

BOOYAH! Just placed my order for the Special Edition book!!! ^______^<3

HUGE congrats again guys!!!! SO can't wait to receive it!!! ^_^V

And CRAP!O_O a tornado in Brooklyn???!!???!!! O_O I think I remember hearing about that on the news when it happened!O_O; so can't believe that it DID happen!O_O;;; It's just as scary as all the tornado warnings we had here in lil ole Plymouth, Mass a few months ago ;__; Tornadoes scare the CRAP out of me >.< give me a good ole hurricane anytime, at least those can be predicted for the most part...but yea....not so for tornadoes ;_;

...those poor tomato plants ;______;

Celebrity Endorsement

Comment by Aaron Diaz (not verified) Tue, 09/28/2010 - 12:51

As a completely unbiased source, I can say that Johnny Wander Volume 1 is the finest, most essential book that has been made by humans in the past 900 years.

You can trust me, for I am a handsome, award-winning millionaire.

I just want to say that I've

Comment by Ananth Tue, 09/28/2010 - 17:35

I just want to say that I've never met this guy before and I definitely did not give him a dollar earlier today.

Was the carnage just to

Comment by Zak (not verified) Tue, 09/28/2010 - 13:12

Was the carnage just to unbearable to show?

awesome, i missed out on SPX

Comment by DisposablePal (not verified) Tue, 09/28/2010 - 13:15

awesome, i missed out on SPX because of work so i'm happy i can place my order now! RIP fire escape garden, i'll pour out some olive oil for my homies who aint here.

Oh god those poor

Comment by joe (not verified) Tue, 09/28/2010 - 13:29

Oh god those poor plants...

Apropos of nothing: what happened to those Mike and Steve chaps that lived with you guys?

Oh no, the poor planties! I

Comment by Chelsea (not verified) Tue, 09/28/2010 - 13:38

Oh no, the poor planties! I lost a few of my balcony plants when I lived in Sapporo and we had a typhoon in 2005. I feel your pain. T^T

wahey!

Comment by Anivy (not verified) Tue, 09/28/2010 - 14:28

Ordered mine, yay!

Poor plants!

Comment by Kimmik (not verified) Tue, 09/28/2010 - 14:38

That's tragic! If anything happened to the plants at my apartment my roommates would freak out! (we have quite the little garden ourselves. Although it's mostly cactuses.)

Just got a book! I am really excited to get it!

Oooh, who's the new guy? I

Comment by Origamigryphon (not verified) Tue, 09/28/2010 - 15:04

Oooh, who's the new guy? I recognize John and Evan but not the last dude. |D;

Check the tags. A girl named

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 09/28/2010 - 17:05

Check the tags. A girl named Lela.

Ah, you are correct. I keep

Comment by Origamigryphon (not verified) Wed, 09/29/2010 - 06:32

Ah, you are correct. I keep forgetting about those tags! Plus I pulled a gender switch. Double fail.

Bummer.

Comment by ChristineA (not verified) Tue, 09/28/2010 - 15:20

Darn! I was so close to snagging one of the special books. :( It told me someone was just purchasing the last one. Ah well.

Poor Yuko, and her tomatoes. There's nothing like tomatoes fresh out of the garden. :) I would offer to share, but I don't know how well they'd ship. ;D

There are more up!

Comment by Ananth Tue, 09/28/2010 - 17:37

There are more up!

Hooray!

Comment by ChristineA (not verified) Wed, 09/29/2010 - 07:23

Thanks for putting more up, guys! I have snagged one and am a most happy camper. :D Cannot wait to see it!!

Awww I missed out on a

Comment by T-Vo (not verified) Tue, 09/28/2010 - 15:45

Awww I missed out on a special edition. Well done on the book I can't wait for my copy to arrive this side of the atlantic :D

More up!

Comment by Ananth Tue, 09/28/2010 - 17:38

More up!

Woohoo!

Comment by T-Vo (not verified) Wed, 09/29/2010 - 04:28

Ordered a special edition now!!! Thanks guys.

AHHH!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 09/28/2010 - 15:59

Aww shucks. I missed out on the Special Edition. ;/
Is that it on those, or will you do more in the future?

There should be some more

Comment by Ananth Tue, 09/28/2010 - 17:39

There should be some more up, but we'll certainly do more in the future -- we just have to catch up on the ones ordered so far.

;A; No order comments area

Comment by Faiga Raisa (not verified) Tue, 09/28/2010 - 16:44

:I
PayPal didn't give me a "order comments" area. I got the Special Edition version (without the bookmark) but I couldn't write what type of hat. Seriously, I was looking for that comments area so I could mention that if I didn't have a make-up Physics lab, I would have bought it sooner.

Yuko or Ananth, if you read this, I would like an aviator hat with goggles on top. I'm totally paying tribute to my student's pilot license expiring tomorrow.

If you could e-mail us this

Comment by Ananth Tue, 09/28/2010 - 17:40

If you could e-mail us this info that would be great! I'll try to make a note of this, though.

Yayz~

Comment by Faiga (not verified) Tue, 09/28/2010 - 22:24

Will do! Thank you so much~

Alas

Comment by Joe D (not verified) Tue, 09/28/2010 - 16:45

The true victims of this senseless tragedy finally come to light.

Tomatoes and Books

Comment by MrE (not verified) Tue, 09/28/2010 - 16:58

I am so sorry for your loss guys, remember to console Wolf, I bet he is deeply saddened by the loss of his plant brethren.
And also I love the book :D I got my friend to get on for me from you guys at SPX. I've reread it so many times now

I live in Brooklyn too!~

Comment by Lily (not verified) Tue, 09/28/2010 - 17:43

Heehee, I had the same response (a bonus b/c my favorite weather is when it rains. :3) I was looking out the window when the sky started turning black and rained in an instant, was soo awesome! Anyways, luckily the garden that my grandmother has is still safe :), although RIP for Yuko's plants!!

My sympathies for your plants

Comment by Walter (not verified) Tue, 09/28/2010 - 17:56

I can relate to the loss of your garden, although not to the severity that yours disappeared. Last three years I've lost most if not all of my plants between heat, animals and even theft on one occurrence.

oh man!

Comment by Snazzy (not verified) Tue, 09/28/2010 - 18:16

Sorry to hear about the garden. :(

HOWEVER, on a much happier note! I got my shirt from you guys today! OMG I LOVE IT.

I also really hope the Special Edition of the book will still be available by Thursday (because that is when I get my paycheck lol).

AAAAAAAAAAA

Comment by Sabe (not verified) Tue, 09/28/2010 - 19:16

I...may have freaked out and ordered really fast without thinking clearly but just to let you guys know: I placed an order on the special edition but because paypal has this weird thing where your shipping address can't be a different country from the billing (I'm from Hawaii but go to uni in Vancouver, BC) so I put the address I want the book to be shipped to in the comments area. I hope that's okay and didn't mess anything up! The shipping was $6 which is the right amount for Canada, hopefully. @_@; Oh, I forgot to add: Any hat is fine with me! (:

Noooo!!!

Comment by Hikki536 (not verified) Tue, 09/28/2010 - 20:16

Those gartenpflanz didn't even live past a year!! D:
I'm sorry :(

BOOKY BOOK!

Comment by Corteks (not verified) Tue, 09/28/2010 - 20:51

So I just went to purchase one of the special editions and got this...

Sorry, “Johnny Wander Vol. 1 [Special Edition] - [Special Edition] JW Vol. 1” couldn’t be added to your cart because the last one is currently being purchased by someone else

Are there limited amounts of the special edition or something? I was trying to order one yesterday (Australian time) but they weren't actually purchasable then yet :/

I've added some more to the

Comment by Ananth Tue, 09/28/2010 - 22:21

I've added some more to the store! Sorry about that!

Thanks!!

Comment by Corteks (not verified) Tue, 09/28/2010 - 22:47

Thanks! Just ordered it now! ^_________^

Queens got the tornado too.

Comment by wingdance (not verified) Tue, 09/28/2010 - 21:16

Queens got the tornado too. D: It was sort of scary, but I was working and didn't take it seriously until the walk home - trees broken in half everywhere, and when I went to tell the doorman my window came open and wouldn't close, he told me some of the higher apartments had their walls blown out.

Don't Burn the House Down!

Comment by djSARS (not verified) Tue, 09/28/2010 - 21:22

I can't wait to get my book! :D :D :D

Yay Book!

Comment by Emily (not verified) Tue, 09/28/2010 - 21:23

Hey guys, can I order a special edition book and pick it up at NYCC? And not pay shipping, and all?

Oh no!

Comment by Katy (not verified) Tue, 09/28/2010 - 21:46

I read about this on twitter. How awful! I would've thought they'd be too heavy to be blown away...

Not just Brooklyn, Queens too!

Comment by Kevin (not verified) Tue, 09/28/2010 - 21:48

The tornado blew down an old church steeple in Flushing down onto the street. It was quite a mess.

Type of hat...

Comment by Pupsqueak (not verified) Tue, 09/28/2010 - 22:30

Next paycheck means I'll have to be getting one of the special edition books. With Jayne's ridiculous hat on the maw. It must be done.

Jayne's Hat

Comment by djSARS (not verified) Wed, 09/29/2010 - 17:48

Is this the hat you're talking about?

Re: Jayne's Hat

Comment by Pupsqueak (not verified) Wed, 10/06/2010 - 09:39

That's the one!

OH GOODNESS

Comment by Lela (not verified) Tue, 09/28/2010 - 23:29

OH GOODNESS i'm drawn all adorable! Yuko!!!! Eeeeeee neat i love you so much this is neat.

do want

Comment by Diem-face (not verified) Wed, 09/29/2010 - 00:44

I'd really like to order a copy of the book, especially the fancy-shmancy one... but I haven't actually had a job since 2008. D:

Sorry about the loss of plants. Get more plants to smooth over the wound?

Special Edition order

Comment by Pip (not verified) Wed, 09/29/2010 - 01:12

Ordered my book yesterday - hurray!

Like someone else, though, the screen didn't offer me a comment box, so I sent an e-mail detailing the hat I'd like (with links to pictures because a lot of people don't seem to know what it is, including Google, which brings up all sorts of unrelated stuff, as well as the hat in question, causing general confusion for all).

Hope the e-mail got to you alright!

Can't wait for the book to arrive! :D

Pip

I wonder...

Comment by Samm Neiland (not verified) Wed, 09/29/2010 - 01:25

How many people are buying the special edition book over the non just for the custom hat jobs...

I know that was a huge selling point for me.

Absolutely the selling point

Comment by Pip (not verified) Wed, 09/29/2010 - 04:40

Absolutely the selling point for me! :D

Aw, what a pity. :(

Comment by Judy K (not verified) Wed, 09/29/2010 - 02:32

... isn't that kinda bad to do though anyway? Fire escapes are supposed to be kept clear in case of... you know... FIRES? And given that the amazing John lives there~...

nooo.....!

Comment by hohhoi (not verified) Wed, 09/29/2010 - 04:24

I got a parking ticket today. damn, now i probably won't be able to buy the book at all.

Hurrah.

Comment by Cass (not verified) Wed, 09/29/2010 - 07:01

Well, I sure did just get my copy. Looks awesome. xD Also, I don't... I don't touch any plant life in my apartment. My mother is very protective of all plantlife in her vicinity, and if I so much as make a leaf fall off she gets in a tizzy.
I mean, hell, she rescued a half dead poinsetta (probably spelt that wrong) plant and now it's thriving almost a year later, hahaha. (My cat and I are both to blame for trying to kill it, twice, on seperate occassions.)

GET THE BOOK!

Comment by Scott King (not verified) Wed, 09/29/2010 - 07:42

I got a copy at SPX (with a hat drawn on the logo) and it is awesome! If you are even close to sitting on the fence about getting the book, don't be. It's worth it.