A survivor!

A survivor!

Tue, 10/19/2010 - 18:46 by Ananth in response to sweetie pie the sweet potato

Did you know morning glories are related to sweet potatoes? They are. Yuko gave this sweet potato a home in our living room, and it's doing quite well.

I don't think I actually knew what sweet potatoes even were until a few years ago - to this day my stomach turns at the horror of knowing what I missed out on.

Books are still up for sale! I added a handy sidebar link (finally).

Everyone - I think we want to try to do a run of new t-shirts for the holiday season. If we were to print one of the following two, which would you be more interested in?

The first shirt bears a quote from Hokusai that appeared as a postscript on One Hundred Views of Mount Fuji:

From around the age of six, I had the habit of sketching from life. I became an artist, and from fifty on began producing works that won some reputation, but nothing I did before the age of seventy was worthy of attention. At seventy-three, I began to grasp the structures of birds and beasts, insects and fish, and of the way plants grow. If I go on trying, I will surely understand them still better by the time I am eighty-six, so that by ninety I will have penetrated to their essential nature. At one hundred, I may well have a positively divine understanding of them, while at one hundred and thirty, forty, or more I will have reached the stage where every dot and every stroke I paint will be alive. May Heaven, that grants long life, give me the chance to prove that this is no lie.

Leave a note in the comments if you have interest one way or the other! Thanks. We're out!

Comments

I'd go with the Hokusai

Comment by John Van Ort (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 18:50

I'd go with the Hokusai quote. But both are great!

Now, what's the sweet potato's name?

I absolutely LOVE the quote

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 18:54

I absolutely LOVE the quote shirt!

Both are cool, but the quote

Comment by Ethan Revenant (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 19:01

Both are cool, but the quote shirt is the one that I would get and wear.

I completely agree. I love

Comment by Laura (not verified) Thu, 10/21/2010 - 10:21

I completely agree. I love the quote, and I'd be more amenable to the lightning bolt if it were just the one.

I would actually lift the moratorium I have on buying shirts if the Hokusai one went on sale.

TOTALLY the quote shirt.

Comment by L. Nichols (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 19:08

TOTALLY the quote shirt. That is an awesome quote!

Love the quote! It resonates

Comment by Braxton (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 19:08

Love the quote! It resonates with me. :D

Shirts

Comment by Maria (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 19:08

I would buy the lightning-bolt shirt. :) But that's just me. I like simple and bold designs. The other just feels cluttered.

^ Exactly this.

Same

^

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 10/21/2010 - 13:03

MTE

Hokusai!

Comment by kitsy (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 19:08

I'm totally for the quote! I hope it'll fit nicely on a ladies' shirt too! :D

Tough Choice

Comment by Russspruce (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 19:09

Both shirts are awesome, both with their own appeal. The first one has a lot going on, with the lines from Hokusai and the wave being the key. But I worry that it might be a bit much, thought it's just me. The second one is nice and simple, which really draws me to it. I think you should go for the lightening shirt, but the Hokusai shirt is also a winner.

Zig Zag

Comment by darryl the t-shirt professor (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 19:11

I prefer and will purchase the lightning bolts from you dudes. True story, true facts, true experience!

The quote is excellent and lovely too. But I think I need to wear something KA-POWtastic.

the hokusai shirt!

Comment by hillary (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 19:12

Love the quote shirt because I love how much it has going on.

THE FIRST ONE. That Hokusai

Comment by sauce (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 19:12

THE FIRST ONE. That Hokusai quote is amazing.

I love the quote design, but

Comment by Rachel (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 19:14

I love the quote design, but think it would make a better poster than a shirt. I vote lightening bolts for a shirt!

This!

Comment by Trae (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 20:22

This, this this!
I think that would make a WONDERFUL poster, much more so than a shirt.
Think about it, the quote is too long for you to stop and let someone stare at your torso to read it, and it has a lot of art that people won't notice because it's all cluttered together. Add that to the fact that having a single rectangular area on a shirt with the image on it without any blending can look a little awkward, like a small poster is pinned on your chest rather than a piece of art on a shirt. That opinion might just be me, but I don't think it looks organic in the sense that the best shirt designs do. The art and the quote make so much sense as a poster, though, and I would so totally put it on my wall.

I vote lightning bolts for a shirt, quote for a poster.
Pretty please.

you nailed it

Comment by jimmy (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 22:26

totally agree. I like the print, too, but that much info is too much for a shirt.

Indeed

Comment by Yep (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 03:56

I agree.

Comment by DropDeadPoet (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 11:19

I CONCUR. There's so much goin on in the first shirt that I think people won't bother to read it theyll just ask "whats on your shirt?" Whereas in poster form I think people would admire it more. It's be cool to put above a desk.

Also, I like that wearing the lightning bolts is a little superhero-esque.

Just making this comment

Comment by supersamurai (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 11:46

Just making this comment thread longer to give it more weight

In fact, if you made the bolt a shirt and the quote a poster, it may very well be the first poster i EVER buy :D

As for the shirt...well i'll be saying SHAZAM! a whole lot more on campus

I would also love to see the

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Mon, 10/25/2010 - 19:39

I would also love to see the quote on a poster, specifically on matte paper.
I'd buy :)

I agree 100%!!!! I would

Comment by Jen! (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 23:44

I agree 100%!!!! I would totally buy a giant poster of the 1st design :D

They are right, I agree!

Comment by Mallory (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 07:43

They are right, I agree! Please also make a poster of the Hokusai shirt! I would buy it in a heartbeat, it would be amazing!

I would buy the Hokusai

Comment by i like anamanaguchi (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 22:27

I would buy the Hokusai quote poster in a heartbeat, and the lightning bolt t-shirt as well. Hell I'd buy them both as t-shirts in a heartbeat.

Come to think of it, a

Comment by Laura (not verified) Thu, 10/21/2010 - 10:23

Come to think of it, a poster would be better--I'd not want to beat the dickens out of that fantastic quote by washing my shirt.

Poster poster!

Comment by Juja (not verified) Thu, 10/21/2010 - 06:52

Agree - I'd love to have a giant poster with the quote design.

The first one. But it's only

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 19:14

The first one. But it's only because I'm an art (minor) student. It's inspirational to other artists, I think.

I love the lightening bolt

Comment by Al (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 19:14

I love the lightening bolt one. It would make me look like a being of pure ENERGY

Comment by Pandiculator (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 19:16

The top one - I love the detail.

The top one

Comment by Camui (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 19:19

Love the top one.
by the way, how do you make shirts?

Shirt

Comment by herpderp (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 19:20

DEFINITELY the first one. It's really unique and the quote is amazing. (Although as a Japanese major, I'm biased.) The other one would do well at like Threadless, but I think you guys should sell the Hokusai one only here. Just my thoughts :)

Quote shirt!

Comment by Annie (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 19:20

Quote shirt!

ohmygoodness

Comment by Xio (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 19:23

LOVE the quote. do the quote do the quote do the quote. It's deep and mysterious and wonderful.

lightning bolts

Comment by Andrew (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 19:23

While I really like the quote, I'd rather own the lightning bolts shirt. :)

Hokusai ftw

Comment by Dr. Kindness (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 19:31

The Hokusai quote shirt is glorious, I would definitely wear it.

Hokusai, yeah.

Comment by emptyhaven (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 19:42

While the lightning bolt design looks awesome, the quote is even more awesome and would be epic as a t-shirt design. :D

Tough Choice

Comment by Chris Watkins (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 19:44

While I think the bolts are a stronger design as a shirt, that quote, and the way it's presented, are great. I'd buy a poster of the quote design for sure. If a poster weren't available, I guess I'd take it on a shirt before a lightning bolt tee.

HOKUSAI

Comment by Rachelle (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 19:57

ALL THE WAY.

I would definitely buy the

Comment by Holly (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 20:04

I would definitely buy the Hokusai shirt.

Hokusai

Comment by Hikki536 (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 20:05

Yep, Hokusai

Hokusai!

Comment by Adlubescence (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 20:06

Hokusai!

Hokusai quote

Comment by Sheyfell (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 20:09

Hokusai quote! I love it! :)

I have always wanted that

Comment by Katu (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 20:24

I have always wanted that Hokusai shirt, I remember back when it was on Mutagenics and it was sold out in my size.

Hokusai!

Comment by Jen (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 20:32

I love the Hokusai shirt and want to buy it yesterday.

BTW the sweet potato leaves

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 20:39

BTW the sweet potato leaves are edible. Typically in Southeast Asia cuisine the young leaves are stir-fried.

Hmm ...

Comment by Dan (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 21:01

I'm not really feelin' either of them. No diss, but if I'm gonna rep Johnny Wander on a t-shirt, I would want something more tied in with the comic.

That said, I agree with the comments above: the Hokusai design is absolutely meant to be a large-scale print/poster, and the lightning bolts are the better t-shirt design.

Shirts!

Comment by Pat! (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 21:03

I'd be nice if both could be printed, but if I had to pick one, I'd say the lightning bolts look better as a T-Shirt.

Quote!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 21:04

quote! definitely the quote! it is EPIC