A survivor!

A survivor!

Tue, 10/19/2010 - 18:46 by Ananth in response to sweetie pie the sweet potato

Did you know morning glories are related to sweet potatoes? They are. Yuko gave this sweet potato a home in our living room, and it's doing quite well.

I don't think I actually knew what sweet potatoes even were until a few years ago - to this day my stomach turns at the horror of knowing what I missed out on.

Books are still up for sale! I added a handy sidebar link (finally).

Everyone - I think we want to try to do a run of new t-shirts for the holiday season. If we were to print one of the following two, which would you be more interested in?

The first shirt bears a quote from Hokusai that appeared as a postscript on One Hundred Views of Mount Fuji:

From around the age of six, I had the habit of sketching from life. I became an artist, and from fifty on began producing works that won some reputation, but nothing I did before the age of seventy was worthy of attention. At seventy-three, I began to grasp the structures of birds and beasts, insects and fish, and of the way plants grow. If I go on trying, I will surely understand them still better by the time I am eighty-six, so that by ninety I will have penetrated to their essential nature. At one hundred, I may well have a positively divine understanding of them, while at one hundred and thirty, forty, or more I will have reached the stage where every dot and every stroke I paint will be alive. May Heaven, that grants long life, give me the chance to prove that this is no lie.

Leave a note in the comments if you have interest one way or the other! Thanks. We're out!

Comments

I like the lightening bolt

Comment by Jordan (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 21:12

I like the lightening bolt shirt better, but I picked it up a few years ago when you had that run of Mutagenics shirts, so I probably wouldn't need to buy it again. I do love it though; I wore it last week!

Lighting Bolts

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 21:21

Totally go with the lightning the quote shirt really does seem cluttered...

The white one with words

Comment by This guy (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 21:25

The Hokusai shirt is truly epic, and I agree that a poster and/or print of it would be good as well. I would still buy it as a shirt; it's more unique compared to the lightning bolt shirt. Both are great though!

Lightning Bolts

Comment by Moxieangel (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 21:39

I side with the lightening bolts!!! :3

Shirts

Comment by Kia (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 21:49

Gotta say the lightning one is pretty awesome. I'd definitely buy that one :P

I would buy and wear

Comment by Allison Strejlau (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 21:50

I would buy and wear constantly the Hokusai shirt, but I'm probably biased as woodblock artists are a main inspiration for me. Still I'm soo in love with it! The lightning bolt is nice but I feel like I've seen it before and would normally bypass it if I saw it at a store.

I'm torn..

Comment by robocotte (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 22:07

But I think I'm more drawn to the quote! Sucker for Hokusai though, ha ha.

Once upon a time I had brought a potato to primary school for some project, and ended up keeping it in a box on my desk for the rest of the year, ha ha.

I love the longer, more

Comment by Ben! (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 22:29

I love the longer, more complicated, more lovely Hokusai quote design. It is so cool and fun and detailed and interesting -- love it. I feel like it'd be the kind of shirt I'd have for years and years.

Way too many shirts today are too simple.

The Hokusai quote shirt

Comment by Sharkupine (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 22:52

The Hokusai quote shirt definitely. Its so intriguing.

Bolt!

Comment by Anii (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 22:57

I'm all about the bolts... though I'm really a fan of the glow in the dark dinos myself :D wherever do you get such awesome shirts made? :3 hehe

both be awsome

Comment by Fish (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 23:27

Most likely I'd buy the bolt shirt, but I really like the quote shirt too. In truth I'd be tempted to buy them both though

-side note, doesn't the word awsome just look wrong? every time I look at it I think I'v spelt it wrong

because you did spell it

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 11:21

because you did spell it wrong: awesome.

Totally going for the

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 23:41

Totally going for the lightening bolt. It's edgy. <3

T-shirt!

Comment by Abby (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 23:49

The first one! I have a serious art-boner for Hokusai.

I would honestly have to go

Comment by BDubia (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 00:06

I would honestly have to go with the Hokusai quote shirt... that, I would attempt to wear every day of my life.

but probably wouldn't for the sake of hygiene

I adore the quote shirt.

Comment by Bronte (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 00:21

I adore the quote shirt. It's so.. wonderful. =] Nice design.

OMG!! Please print another

Comment by Karen (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 00:22

OMG!! Please print another copy of the Hokusai!!!
It's my favorite t-shirt of all time! And I have one thats signed! (Don't want to wreck it gah!)
I've been wanting another for ages!!

damn, I try to get sweet

Comment by Lew (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 00:35

damn, I try to get sweet potatoes to shoot for months - because I love the Ipomea (Morning Glory) genus... under what conditions did you store the root?

I like the Hokusai one a

Comment by Sandra (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 00:40

I like the Hokusai one a lot, but I think I'd rather have it as a print! (Not an option, I know...)

I'd buy a poster...

Comment by Bluebird Doll (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 00:53

I'll jump on the quote-as-a-poster bandwagon. It's lovely and long and complicated and I would love to stare at it for hours on my wall. But I don't think it would work well as a shirt.

shirts

Comment by samboydh (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 00:58

Lightning bolts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shirts

Comment by Aube (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 01:32

Definitely the first, however they are both awesome. I am kind of a sucker for a good quote and I love "One Hundred View of Mt. Fuji" and pretty much all amazing Japanese literature.

Hokusai

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 01:59

Definately the Hokusai quote but I think most people will go for the lightning shirt.

Hokusai

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 02:33

Been hoping for the Hokusai again since Mutagenics sold out.

If I HAD to choose...

Comment by Thomas (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 03:05

I would go with the Hokusai shirt. I've NEVER seen proper Eloquence in shirt form. I don't wear shirts with words on them, as a rule -- I don't want people staring at my conveniently placed body-words. That granted, I would buy and wear THAT shirt immediately, and wear it as often as possible. The words will hide one another at a glance, and create an excellent design -- and I can see how reading that could brighten someone's day.

Interested in the first =)!

Comment by Anne (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 03:37

Interested in the first =)!

I'm all about that lightning

Comment by Garrett (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 04:06

I'm all about that lightning bolt design personally.

Gotta be the Hokusai, ey?

Comment by Gainsworthy (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 04:53

Gotta be the Hokusai, ey? Intricate details and a thought from a marvelous mind.

both?

Comment by kevin. (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 06:52

i enjoy the first shirt more (and would buy it) than the second. not just by the quote alone, but also because the thumbnail shows a pretty ripe comic for it :D

I absolutely love the

Comment by Mallory (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 07:41

I absolutely love the Hokusai t-shirt! I am a huge fan of his work and that shirt is so unique and amazing!

woo hokusai!

Comment by rachel (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 07:42

woo hokusai!

HO. KU. SAI.

Comment by HAK (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 08:21

HO.
KU.
SAI.

whoop!

Comment by tori (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 08:41

I love the quote shirt, but I think I would get annoyed with ppl trying to read my shirt, so I'd probably buy the other. :)
I would TOTALLY buy the quote design on a bag though!!

Heh

Comment by Arun (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 09:28

That is an AWESOME plant name! :)

I love the Hokusai quote,

Comment by Lupus Draconis (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 10:02

I love the Hokusai quote, though I agree it's more suited to a poaster than a shirt. I'd still get the shirt if that's all that was available, though. :D

Of course, my boyfriend would vote for the lightning one, haha.

No Comment on Shirts

Comment by Jason (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 10:14

...since I wouldn't really buy either of them. but I did fix your typo:

"...my stomach turns at knowing what horror I missed out on."

QUOTE SHIRT QUOTE SHIRT

Comment by Skourja (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 10:36

Quote shirt!

QUOTE SHIRT QUOTE SHIRT

Comment by Skourja (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 10:36

Quote shirt!

I would buy the quote shirt.

Comment by Dreya (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 10:49

I would buy the quote shirt. I usually don't buy t-shirts but it would be unique enough for me to want one. Plus it would come from you guys.

I'd pick the lighting bolt.

Comment by Schlagwerk (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 11:47

I'd pick the lighting bolt. The quote could be great as a poster, but it's just got too much going on to be an effective shirt design.

Definitely the Hokusai one,

Comment by Dave (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 13:07

Definitely the Hokusai one, it's just genius. The lightning bolts are bold and great, but people have made shirts like that before. The quote is something original and kinda sweet, which is what I think of Johnny Wander. Just my opinion.

I like the quote, but the

Comment by Jimmy (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 13:33

I like the quote, but the bolts strike a cord.

Its loud, its proud and its 1.21 gigawatts. Great Scott!

Tough choice

Comment by myzused (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 13:44

I like them both and would wear either one, but do agree with the others' comments; the quote would be a FABULOUS poster and I would snatch it up in a heartbeat, while the lightning bolts are more T-shirt material.

When are you making a Johnny

Comment by Lunco (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 15:39

When are you making a Johnny Wander shirt? I would love one.

I prefer the first one, but I don't like white shirts over-all.

Gotta go with the Hokusaki

Comment by Joseph (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 16:05

Gotta go with the Hokusaki quote.

It would be helpful if I

Comment by Joseph (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 16:06

It would be helpful if I could read, Hokusai

The first, definitely.

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 16:05

The first, definitely.

I would LOVE the first one,

Comment by James (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 17:17

I would LOVE the first one, that is one of my favorite quotes.

The first one! I would

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 17:44

The first one! I would totally buy it if available in a ladies fit :)

Lightning bolt is a better

Comment by SeraphL (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 18:00

Lightning bolt is a better Tshirt design, but PLEASE sell the quote as a poster because I will buy good money to gave such an awesome quote pinned to my wall :D