A survivor!

A survivor!

Tue, 10/19/2010 - 18:46 by Ananth in response to sweetie pie the sweet potato

Did you know morning glories are related to sweet potatoes? They are. Yuko gave this sweet potato a home in our living room, and it's doing quite well.

I don't think I actually knew what sweet potatoes even were until a few years ago - to this day my stomach turns at the horror of knowing what I missed out on.

Books are still up for sale! I added a handy sidebar link (finally).

Everyone - I think we want to try to do a run of new t-shirts for the holiday season. If we were to print one of the following two, which would you be more interested in?

The first shirt bears a quote from Hokusai that appeared as a postscript on One Hundred Views of Mount Fuji:

From around the age of six, I had the habit of sketching from life. I became an artist, and from fifty on began producing works that won some reputation, but nothing I did before the age of seventy was worthy of attention. At seventy-three, I began to grasp the structures of birds and beasts, insects and fish, and of the way plants grow. If I go on trying, I will surely understand them still better by the time I am eighty-six, so that by ninety I will have penetrated to their essential nature. At one hundred, I may well have a positively divine understanding of them, while at one hundred and thirty, forty, or more I will have reached the stage where every dot and every stroke I paint will be alive. May Heaven, that grants long life, give me the chance to prove that this is no lie.

Leave a note in the comments if you have interest one way or the other! Thanks. We're out!

Comments

Hokusai!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 18:05

Hokusai!

Quote!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 18:44

I'd definitely much prefer the one with the quote. : ]

Quote shirt, definitely. :)

Comment by Leeland88 (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 18:57

That's something I know my art teacher and my friends would appreciate. :D

Hokusai!

Comment by ~miriam~ (not verified) Wed, 10/20/2010 - 19:30

Gotta say I'd pick the quote - the design is awesome, and that quote has always been one of my inspirations. A poster might be easier to read though... just put that design on something, and I'll buy it. :D

Hokusai

Comment by Kas (not verified) Thu, 10/21/2010 - 00:48

Ohhh man, I am all about that Hokusai shirt.

LIGHTNING BOLTS!

Comment by AJ (not verified) Thu, 10/21/2010 - 01:59

LIGHTNING BOLTS!

I prefer the blue shirt,

Comment by Andy (not verified) Thu, 10/21/2010 - 07:14

I prefer the blue shirt, it's much more arty and sophisticated.
I'd wear it in a heartbeat.

2nd for a shirt. As many

Comment by Erica F (not verified) Thu, 10/21/2010 - 07:40

2nd for a shirt.

As many have already said the 1st would go much better as a poster print, which I would buy ;)

Hokusai

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 10/21/2010 - 07:52

The quote is inspiring, I love the look of the shirt, and I would totally buy it!

I agree with everyone who's

Comment by Jessyka (not verified) Thu, 10/21/2010 - 08:03

I agree with everyone who's saying the first one would look better as a poster. Personally, I just think it looks too cluttered as a shirt, even though it is a fantastic quote and design.

So, as a shirt, I would buy the second one, but as a poster, I would buy the first.

Would it be possible to see

Comment by Neev (not verified) Thu, 10/21/2010 - 10:04

Would it be possible to see the Hokusai teeshirt bigger? I love it

Comment by Gwen (not verified) Thu, 10/21/2010 - 12:31

The top one!

Weelll

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 10/21/2010 - 13:08

Both shirts are gorgeous, but I think that the lightning bolt is more flexible. If I were buying a print or a tote [winkwinknudgenudge] I would go for the Hokusai. My only concern with the shirt is that the design wouldn't look as good on as many people. Curvy girls, for instance, might look awkward in it. Just sayin'.

I have to pick the quote

Comment by Sarah! (not verified) Thu, 10/21/2010 - 13:21

I have to pick the quote shirt.

I love the Hokusai shirt, I

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 10/21/2010 - 13:22

I love the Hokusai shirt, I think I'd probably buy one!

I would go with the quote as

Comment by Somnule (not verified) Thu, 10/21/2010 - 13:52

I would go with the quote as well. It's a beautiful way to think.

¡Hokusai!

Comment by DJ (not verified) Thu, 10/21/2010 - 13:53

Quite an inspirational quote, and i enjoy how you've varied it and interspersed art to create an interesting shirt.

I prefer the Hokusai design

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 10/21/2010 - 14:19

I like the Hokusai design both because of the great quote and the great artwork. I would like to buy it if you print it.

I would look so rad.

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 10/21/2010 - 15:24

To be quite honest, I don't really wear clothing that has writing on it, so my vote goes toward the lighting c:

On the other hand, I would so buy a poster of the Hokusai quote was for sale...

Quote, please.

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 10/21/2010 - 15:41

Sorry, I just can't help myself. If you made that quote t-shirt, I would be forced to buy it. FORCED. It's a problem.

I like both of them but I

Comment by CarakinWonder (not verified) Thu, 10/21/2010 - 17:08

I like both of them but I like the Hokusai a little bit more. It just seems....jazzier. If you get what I mean.

I say

Comment by B-San (not verified) Thu, 10/21/2010 - 17:44

The lightning bolts! I like the Hokusai also but I'm seriously a big fan of lightning bolts.

i vote the Mt. Fuji one. its

Comment by Elspeth (not verified) Thu, 10/21/2010 - 17:46

i vote the Mt. Fuji one. its so much more interesting and beautiful. please print that one!!

Going with the quote on this

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 10/21/2010 - 17:59

Going with the quote on this one. It's got way more substance than the lightning bolts.

I would definitely buy the

Comment by silverfyshxin (not verified) Thu, 10/21/2010 - 18:58

I would definitely buy the Hokusai quote as a poster, but only maybe as a shirt. I prefer it to the lightning bolt shirt, though (but that one is pretty awesome too).

Hokusai.

Comment by Linners (not verified) Thu, 10/21/2010 - 20:04

For definites.

I like the lightning

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 10/21/2010 - 20:09

The texty one is so cluttered and harder to appreciate.
Simple lightning, simply awesome.

Hokusai

Comment by Kitty (not verified) Thu, 10/21/2010 - 23:07

I would definitely buy the quote shirt--not so much love for the zig zag.

Hokusai

Comment by GP (not verified) Fri, 10/22/2010 - 06:53

Definitely feeling the quote shirt!

Not Feeling It

Comment by Niall (not verified) Fri, 10/22/2010 - 07:08

Sorry to say, but I wouldn't buy either as a t-shirt. The quote shirt I would consider buying if it was a poster, but neither the quote nor the lightning shirts really appeal to me. This is only my taste speaking but I feel the quote shirt's too cluttered and the lightning shirt's simple but not really exciting to me. I hope this helps. :)

QUOTE!!

Comment by Kate (not verified) Fri, 10/22/2010 - 07:17

Definitely the quote shirt- it has concept!

Hokusai

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 10/22/2010 - 07:29

My vote is for the Hokusai shirt. It may be very wordy, but I love the overall visual.

As a biologist and doodler,

Comment by Kira (not verified) Fri, 10/22/2010 - 08:53

As a biologist and doodler, I vote the quote shirt :3

I likey the quote shirt.

Comment by Dei (not verified) Fri, 10/22/2010 - 10:17

I likey the quote shirt.

Lightning!

Comment by Ceylon (not verified) Fri, 10/22/2010 - 12:00

Mm, sweet potatoes... Have you had sweet potatoes in cinnamon-sugar butter? It's like Cinnabon but better for you. @u@

But the shirt I would wear would totally be the lightning one. Sorry, Hokusai.

LIGHTNING BOLT

Comment by Jorsh (not verified) Fri, 10/22/2010 - 12:05

I am all for those sweet lightning bolts.
I have a thing for t-shirts with lightning bolts on them.

Hokusai please!

Comment by Margaret (not verified) Fri, 10/22/2010 - 13:34

I want the Hokusai t-shirt so badly. I have a rule against buying t-shirts in general but I would definitely buy it and possibly in multiples since I know several people who I think would want one.

sweet potato growing

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 10/22/2010 - 23:06

I didn't read other people's comments because i'm writing from a cell phone, but if you add soil to sweetie pie's container ever so often, and make her grow taller and taller, she will grow new sweet potatoes for you, I believe. So one sweetie pie will become many after a few feet of added soil. Also_ my copy of Johnny Wander 1 has made my week more happy. Thenk you!

First one!

Comment by Andrew (not verified) Sat, 10/23/2010 - 19:40

I love the one with the Hokusai quote :)

I really like the lightening

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 10/23/2010 - 22:10

I really like the lightening bolt one.

Man this exact same thing

Comment by Jenny (not verified) Sun, 10/24/2010 - 04:22

Man this exact same thing happened to me and now it is massive and annoying.

I think the quote would make

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sun, 10/24/2010 - 04:32

I think the quote would make a better poster - it's just a little too cluttered for a T-shirt. The lightning bolts would be awesome though =)

DAT QUOTE

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sun, 10/24/2010 - 10:59

gotta get it

Hokusai t-shirt, all the way.

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sun, 10/24/2010 - 14:55

Hokusai t-shirt, all the way.

I like the thunderbolt

Comment by Noctern (not verified) Sun, 10/24/2010 - 18:49

I like the thunderbolt design; it's more like something that I would wear. When wearing T-shirt, I prefer a simple design that someone can glance at and know what it is, rather than a mash of text that takes a while to look at.

Hokusai

Comment by Roxana (not verified) Sun, 10/24/2010 - 18:56

It's very pretty.
I might actually buy it.

T-shirt War

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sun, 10/24/2010 - 20:42

Hokusai, indefinitely. <(^_^)>

yahyah!

Comment by Dervert (not verified) Sun, 10/24/2010 - 23:33

Hokusai!

i like both pics but i

Comment by Blair (not verified) Mon, 10/25/2010 - 10:14

i like both pics but i personally would love to see a pic of the dragon and the skeleton "What are you doing? Why are you doing it?"

DEFINITELY the first one.

Comment by Jacob (not verified) Tue, 10/26/2010 - 11:19

DEFINITELY the first one. It's so cool!