Stories to ink by

Stories to ink by

Thu, 11/18/2010 - 17:01 by Ananth in response to drawing the drawing hand that is drawing you

Possibly one of the worst problems to have when you're inking! Or really, doing anything, ever. Yuko usually puts brush to paper between hiccups, until it becomes frustrating enough to make her give up. Rumor has it that Jackson Pollock's art career began with a case of the hiccups.

Yuko says thank you to everyone for the bridesmaid dress suggestions! She really appreciates it. We're taking a look around tomorrow, and I'm mentally preparing for the stress!

The Hokusai shirts arrive tomorrow! We'll be putting them up in time for Tuesday's update. Hokusai prints will also be available, eventually - hopefully in time for the holidays (no guarantees!) - we'll be screen-printing those ourselves and individually numbering and signing each one. The lightning shirts will also happen, but they'll be coming next year. We'll also be making some other holiday-related announcements as well - finally!

On that note - we'll catch you guys and girls Tuesday! It's time for us to *sunglasses* ... log off.

O-of the internet.

BYE!

Comments

This looks like it could be

Comment by Shadow Yuko (not verified) Thu, 11/18/2010 - 18:29

This looks like it could be an evil form of yuko.

Can't wait

Comment by M3rcd (not verified) Thu, 11/18/2010 - 18:45

For the Hokusai shirts to go on sale <3

sunglasses move

Comment by hillary (not verified) Thu, 11/18/2010 - 18:53

okay, david anacarusonth

I know there's a million

Comment by dande (not verified) Thu, 11/18/2010 - 18:56

I know there's a million hiccup remedies, but I have one that has worked for me every single time and you can do it anywhere because all it requires is your lungs. Just breath in, deeply, and keep breathing in, and don't stop breathing in until it begins to hurt, and then release.

If I do that, my hiccups stop (: maybe it'll help Yuko?

dress

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 11/18/2010 - 19:04

To reduce stress for this type of shopping, I generally shop online first so I know exactly (or at least have a good idea) what I want before getting to the store. Also, usually, you can call ahead and make sure they have it before you go. Easy way to cross stores off the list without having to actually go there. :)

Hiccups

Comment by Danny (not verified) Thu, 11/18/2010 - 19:20

Hold your breath for 45 seconds while having someone count for you. When you get to 45 your hiccups will be gone. The combination of hypoxia and diverted attention combine to totally kill the hiccups. I've used this on dozens of people, and it works every time.

1. Hold your breath, then

Comment by AckAckAck (not verified) Thu, 11/18/2010 - 20:50

1. Hold your breath, then drink a big glass of water, drink it all in one gulp.

or

2. Let it out, open your mouth so the hiccup went out all the way, burping along.

Foolproof cure for the hiccups

Comment by Awesome Music Videos (not verified) Thu, 11/18/2010 - 21:32

Step one: fill a glass with water to the top.
Step two: lean forward and drink the water from the opposite side of the rim of the glass, leaning the glass away from you to make it easier.

This always works.

This one works for me every

Comment by karen (not verified) Fri, 11/19/2010 - 08:32

This one works for me every time, I highly recommend it!

Cure hiccups with the power of SCIENCE!

Comment by Caleb the Biologist (not verified) Thu, 11/18/2010 - 22:12

Holding your breath does work, but there's a critical step people are leaving out here. Let's recall just what's happening in a hiccup: it's a spasm of your diaphragm. So for holding your breath to work, you have to basically force your diaphragm to stay still until it ceases to twitch spontaneously. In other words, if you're taking in a little bit of air, then it won't do anything. Inhale until you feel VERY uncomfortable, like your lungs are going to burst, and THEN hold your breath as long as you can stand. Your organs below aren't going anywhere, but there's still a little give, so you have to take in enough air to really push that diaphragm down and hold it there until it settles down.
...SCIENCE!

Small gulps~

Comment by AkitaWan (not verified) Thu, 11/18/2010 - 22:55

Get lots of water! and drink it in small gulps really, really fast (don't choke yourself though!) until you burp. You will be cured from hiccups~ It works everytime for me :) (This is my old sensei's advice }:y )

Hiccups = Evil Incarnate

Comment by Svens (not verified) Thu, 11/18/2010 - 23:08

Man that happens to me too. But my hiccups always happen unexpectedly, so a giant squiggle usually appears when I get caught by surprise in the middle of drawing.

A delicious remedy!

Comment by Ellie (not verified) Thu, 11/18/2010 - 23:29

I get hiccups all the time. They're loud, long-lived, and confusingly painful. I've tried everything from controlled breathing, drinking on the wrong side of the glass, and leaning backwards over a chair and holding your breath, all to no avail.

Last time I got the hiccups, I slowly ate a spoonful of peanut butter. I don't know if it's because it slowed my breathing, or if I was just being distracted, but it worked. And, come on.

PEANUT BUTTER.

THIS.

Comment by Laura (not verified) Fri, 11/19/2010 - 09:06

Every breathing remedy I've tried has failed at some point or another. My hiccups are absurdly painful as well, but then my mother introduced me to a miracle cure:

Spoonful of smooth peanut butter.

And don't even try to immediately wash it down with water. Wait a minute or so.

And if you don't have peanut butter, Nutella is a delicious alternative. :)

Soot sprite?

Comment by Peter N. Trinh (not verified) Fri, 11/19/2010 - 03:49

Just have to say, I got a really big Miyazaki vibe reading this one! And I can relate to the matter of using a pen or brush during such a curseful moment.

osaka?

Comment by ted (not verified) Fri, 11/19/2010 - 06:55

This reminds me of Osaka having hiccups in the anime 'azumanga diaoh'. The cures they try :)

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Comment by Drezz (not verified) Fri, 11/19/2010 - 08:16

Sorry. I had to.

I was hoping someone would!

Comment by Ananth Fri, 11/19/2010 - 10:38

I was hoping someone would!

Well, thank goodness

Comment by pandiculator (not verified) Tue, 11/23/2010 - 13:09

If nobody had, I was going to.

Random hiccups suck

Comment by Cecona (not verified) Fri, 11/19/2010 - 08:43

I get the hiccups constantly and at the most random times. One time I got the hiccups while putting dishes and silverware away and it caused me to drop a steak knife on my foot. OW!

I have this problem when I'm

Comment by Chaddieo (not verified) Fri, 11/19/2010 - 10:11

I have this problem when I'm trying to draw sometimes, too :< but usually it's with sneezing.

Hiccup Remedies

Comment by Peter Rabbit (not verified) Fri, 11/19/2010 - 10:19

I can tell you that a) no one knows why we get hiccups and b) none of the known remedies work.

The reason why people believe they do work, and everyone uses their own remedy is simple. Hiccups stop when you stop paying attention to them.

I've practiced for a while and I'm now able to consistently stop hiccups after the first one. I don't actually do anything. I just will them to stop.
It's my only superpower.

Thanks...

Comment by JessykaLynn (not verified) Fri, 11/19/2010 - 13:24

Immediately after reading this, I got the hiccups. Thanks, guys. Thanks.

Why you should always double-check before submitting . . .

Comment by junior_millenium (not verified) Fri, 11/19/2010 - 16:09

For a minute there I thought you meant that Yuko was looking at bridesmaids dresses for *her* wedding. Good thing I went back through the blog archives before commenting -- *that* would’ve been embarrassing. [pantomimes wiping his forehead]

In regards to the bridesmaid's dress: As long as she steers clear of anything a peacock would find sensible, I'm fairly positive she'll do just fine in whatever she selects. Much luck to her and yourself, and many congratulations to the soon-to-be couple.

Laughing all the way . . .

&B-D

Traditions must be different

Comment by badmartialarts (not verified) Sat, 11/20/2010 - 00:36

Traditions must be different up north. Round Texas the bride picks the bridesmaid's dresses for them. And they tend to go for the most hideous looking ones, at that. I think it's so people are more impressed by the bride's dress, and also a cruel joke women have played on each other for generations. :)

Pickles

Comment by Sarah Jane (not verified) Fri, 11/19/2010 - 17:44

Eating a dill pickle cures my hiccups all the time. Plus... you get to eat a delicious pickle, so there's no down side.

Finally, someone else who's

Comment by ReKay (not verified) Sun, 11/21/2010 - 09:36

Finally, someone else who's heard of this! I thought I was the only one. It works wonders! And usually you only need one bite or so.

Pictures!

Comment by Origamigryphon (not verified) Fri, 11/19/2010 - 22:51

this works a lot better for me:

Comment by jaytoo (not verified) Sat, 11/20/2010 - 03:09

If you're with a friend who gets the hiccups, tell them you'll give them $5 if they hiccup again in the next 30 seconds. Don't worry - the hiccups will stop =P.

This might not work if:

- $5 is worthless to them (increase the amount to $10 or whatever).

- They absolutely don't believe you (it works a lot better if you have the cash on hand to show them).

I remember that trick.

Comment by Ellie (not verified) Sat, 11/20/2010 - 19:03

I had a teacher who would say, "If Johnny can hiccup again in the next 30 seconds, no one has to do any homework this weekend." And inevitably... it would fail.

It's a good way to cure hiccups, but a bad way to make friends.

Art!

Comment by My name? (not verified) Sat, 11/20/2010 - 21:19

I like how you can tell that while this is a comic about messing up it's actually made perfectly.

That or the hiccups where very carefully timed and the mistakes very carefully placed.

Both ways show the effort that goes into making Johnny Wander.

Hokusai!

Comment by Kitsy (not verified) Sun, 11/21/2010 - 02:08

Can't wait until the shirts are available~! :D

Half a cap full of white

Comment by Jules (not verified) Thu, 12/02/2010 - 07:28

Half a cap full of white vinegar (or balsamic vinegar if you want to be fancy) and drink that down quickly. I've had one situation where I needed to do this again, but it's worked every time i've done it.

That being said I like salt and vinegar chips, so I don't mind this, but it might be a bit unpleasant for some.

just another hiccup idea

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sun, 12/05/2010 - 18:00

There is something that my grandma makes me do that seems to stop hiccups every time. Take a glass of water and cover the top with a paper towel.. and then drink through the paper towel. It sounds weird, but it's always worked for me.

Have Yuko eat a spoonful of

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sun, 12/12/2010 - 03:22

Have Yuko eat a spoonful of peanut butter when she starts hiccuping, I find it always works perfectly for me

easiest hiccup fix.

Comment by Blue (not verified) Fri, 11/04/2011 - 15:26

Really, the best way to cure hiccups is to think or say 'purple cow'. Works everytime.