Sorry Yuko!

Sorry Yuko!

Thu, 11/25/2010 - 21:27 by Ananth in response to right, guys?

It's Aaron again (Master of the Fried Plantain), and Miss Julia, and myself - all non-carnivores to varying degree. Yuko is speaking to her audience. Clearly!

Yuko has a guest appearance over at Dirt Between My Toes! Rad!

Happy Thanksgiving to our domestic readers! My brother is visiting from California, so our family is together for the first time in quite a while. We're all catching up.

A recap of store information for the holidays, pulled from Tuesday's post:

THE CUT-OFF FOR DOMESTIC HOLIDAY ORDERS IS DECEMBER 15th. FOR INTERNATIONAL HOLIDAY ORDERS IT IS DECEMBER 1ST. Sorry, I know that's close for international folks! Second - Hokusai shirts are in! Here's a look:

I am really happy with how they came out. ALSO, ALL OTHER T-SHIRTS ARE NOW 25% OFF. We've never done a sale before, but you guys blew us away picking up JW:V1 (still available, of course) and we wanted to do something nice for you. And speaking of nice things, Yuko has also put together various dinosaur related gift-packs (silly bands, stickers, little plastic dinos or dinogliders)! We're including them with all orders - a little something extra for the holidays.

That's all for us! Have a good one! See you next week.

Comments

SALAD IS SLAUGHTER!

Comment by JET3L (not verified) Thu, 09/15/2011 - 00:49

...I'm going to need more chlorophyll-green paint.

Yes, Yuko. Just yes. It sounds like a nauseatingly delicious way to serve plantains, and I hope that you can try it at a more tactful time (like when the people to whom you said "we" are not vegetarian/vegan).

Edit:

Comment by JET73L (not verified) Thu, 09/15/2011 - 00:56

I was vegetarian for a year or two for health reasons (I got sick, and suddenly couldn't stand to smell cooking meat products for a few months or eat meat or meat products for well over a year. It wore off). Just because I care about vegetarian/veganism doesn't mean I can't find people who ruin perfectly good, already-murdered/harvested food and clothing to be obnoxious, and respond with lesser (i.e., not-acted-out) obnoxion (obnoxiousness? Obnoxide? Obnoxide).

Ugh.

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 11/27/2010 - 17:21

Have you ever considered that some of us might be ALLERGIC to (or otherwise will become deathly sick if we eat) meat? I'm not a vegetarian by choice, I used to love meat.
In fact if you'd slipped me some steak on my plate three years ago, I would have hugged you before being carted off to the hospital, that's how much I used to love meat.
But that's beside the point. You do NOT put meat ingredients in vegan food for sh*ts and giggles. (Unless the person is your mortal enemy, and you're sure that he/she doesn't have meat allergies)

The actions of individual

Comment by JezMM (not verified) Sat, 11/27/2010 - 17:46

The actions of individual groups of people do not speak for everyone, and you could have done as bad as killing someone with dairy allergies through your immature and petty actions, and you have no right to betray a customer's trust like that. If anyone has annoyed you over veganism, it's because that individual is an ass, not because that individual is a vegan.

I hope one day in the future you feel utterly ashamed of your actions. =\

You're an asshole.

Comment by Tri (not verified) Sun, 11/28/2010 - 11:50

Gee, I'm sure the dozens (perhaps hundreds) of people you made sick due to food allergies/lactose intolerance/digestive disorders would really get a kick out of your story. Definitely. Harty-har-har.

I hope you get ash in your eye and kicked in the genitals.

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Mon, 11/29/2010 - 14:23

Did you not notice that they got nothing but compliments?

OMG YES AND WELL DONE SIR!

Comment by DvC (not verified) Sun, 11/28/2010 - 15:19

OMG YES AND WELL DONE SIR! :D I don't know why vegans freak out about all that when animals get shredded up when using a harvester for grains.

To be 100% vegan you'd have

Comment by JezMM (not verified) Mon, 11/29/2010 - 02:47

To be 100% vegan you'd have to kill yourself because every moment you live you're killing bacteria and tiny lifeforms.

My girlfriend is vegan, but she has said herself if she was in a criticial condition, yes she would use drugs tested on animals, yes she would eat meat if she was stranded on a desert island and it was the only safe food avaliable for miles.

It's not about being perfect, it's about doing the best you can manage within reason.

I don't see how anyone has any right to speak badly of an ethical standpoint that tries to harm as little as possible. Hate preachy vegans because they're preachy, not because they're vegan.

I can't believe how many people honestly can't even begin to even slightly fathom or respect that some people don't like putting dead things in their mouths.

Let me preface this with

Comment by Number Seven (not verified) Tue, 11/30/2010 - 10:46

Let me preface this with "I'm cool with Vegans, but less with errors in arguments".

I know what you meant.

but plants are living things, too.

I suppose if you picked a vegetable and ate it raw, it would still be alive at the cellular level.

Anyway, generally cooked plants are dead, too.

So it doesn't matter what you are, you're always eating dead things.

Totally calling Bullshit on

Comment by Cheri (not verified) Sun, 11/28/2010 - 22:46

Totally calling Bullshit on that stupid story.

Severe Meat Allergies, Anyone?

Comment by minetruly (not verified) Mon, 11/29/2010 - 02:18

You stuck it to the yuppie vegans.

However, you could have made my friend dangerously sick. You could have killed someone who had a severe food allergy.

My best friend is allergic to meat (among other things, including wheat gluten.) Her uncle made her soup with chicken broth once (not registering "broth" as "meat"), and she vomited for 48 hours straight.

Food allergies can be so severe that your actions could have resulted in someone's death. My cousin, who has a peanut allergy, had to go to the emergency room after eating a single bite of peanut butter cheesecake. The doctor gave him a shot straight through his clothing. That's how close he was to death.

He also had a severe reaction when an employee at a bagel shop used the same knife to spread cream cheese on his bagel that had been used to spread peanut butter.

While peanut allergies are the most common and best known, people can be just as deathly allergic to meat, potato, olive oil, cane sugar, shellfish, turnips, onion, and almost every other imaginable food.

That's why it's VERY irresponsible for a boss to allow his chefs to "switch up the menu," and why both you and he should have been fired and brought up on criminal charges. While 99% of your customers may just be vegan because they're yuppie pricks, all it takes is a single person with an honest food allergy to turn your prank into a trip to the E.R. or the morgue. That's my best friend we're talking about. My cousin. Both of whom are VERY nice, always respect employees like you, and trust people like you to not fuck with their food.

If your prank had caused a fatal allergic reaction, you could have been jailed for negligent manslaughter.

So next time you want to get back at arrogant pricks, just make snide remarks at them and rub their order against your crotch. Don't spray poison over the very same food that might have been served to that lovely girl who has a severe allergy to meat.

more reckless than funny.....

Comment by sg077 (not verified) Tue, 11/30/2010 - 22:21

While I do find it funny to get back at uppity preachy types,
(I do enjoy laughing at their misfortune) that seemed a little reckless. Some people are'nt vegan/tarian by choice you know.

You did check to see if anyone had food allergies, right?
Not cool dude...

I know people that converted

Comment by Chris (not verified) Fri, 11/26/2010 - 05:53

I know people that converted to vegetarianism, people that converted from vegetarianism and those of us that have always eaten meat.

One thing is consistent, bacon rocks. The veggie says it was the hardest meat to give up, the ex-veggie couldn't go back to not eating it.

Sorry but bacon rocks.

(Creepy comment about

Comment by Ryonin (not verified) Fri, 11/26/2010 - 06:09

(Creepy comment about cuteness)

Haha, grind up some bacos in the vegan oil of choice.

If you're all herbivores...

Comment by SBKT (not verified) Fri, 11/26/2010 - 10:42

... or some of you, even, how does that work for the others who like to eat stuff that come from the animals? I can't imagine you all eating different stuff all the time. It sounds like a hassle.

dishes that's good with meat

Comment by Camui (not verified) Sat, 11/27/2010 - 17:24

dishes that's good with meat on the side.
and it's not like they HAVE to eat meat, they just enjoy it. You eat salads, right?

Intriguing

Comment by Michael A Joel (not verified) Fri, 11/26/2010 - 11:33

I have to say, I kind of saw the whole vegetarian thing coming, no offense Ananth, but you seem like the kind of guy who would. Also, I'm really sorry, because I was the guy who back at Connecticon said he was going to make you, Yuko and Hawk this awesome picture of the three of you, but college just slammed down on me like you wouldn't believe. To top it off, my parents may be having us put our house up for sale so so we can move to NH or MA. Overall, I'll try my best to get some work done on it, but it's a little bit tough. I may just go for less detail.

No no not bacon!

Comment by anna (not verified) Fri, 11/26/2010 - 11:41

I'm a former vegetarian (for a decade!) myself and I still don't eat bacon...just don't care for pork in most forms. I'm all about duck these days (duck fat > bacon grease).

However, the best thing by far that I've ever fried plantains in would have to be virgin coconut oil. Fried coconut-infused plantain-y goodness? Yes please!

Haha, interesting.

Comment by Cat (not verified) Fri, 11/26/2010 - 12:12

Like someone said above, you /do/ learn new things every day. I had no clue Ananth was a vegetarian.

On a completely different note, however, I only just now realized that the layout of this website includes those neat-o little mouth bird things. I love those things.

Bacon Salt?

Comment by Skie (not verified) Fri, 11/26/2010 - 13:05

I have to ask, out of curiosity, what your impressions on "Bacon Salt" are. (Not any of the other bacon + food products, but specifically Bacon Salt).

I have heard mixed responses about it; from carnivores, vegetarians, and vegans(they didn't try it) alike.

Also plantains fried in (fresh) bacon grease are amazingly (unhealthy, yet so so) delicious. Go Yuko! :D

baconsgiving

Comment by ColdFusion (not verified) Fri, 11/26/2010 - 13:13

My sister's friends (a bunch of dirty hippies, I thought) surprisingly had a 'baconsgiving' including bacon cookies and .. other.. baconated foods.. apparently the rule is everyone has to consume six pounds of bacon and 24 beers..
But they'll still get holier-than-thou on lefty political issues! The hippie spirit is alive and well..

That face X3

Comment by FriendlyStray (not verified) Fri, 11/26/2010 - 19:01

I was able to bring both a vegan pumpkin and a vegan apple berry pie to Thankgiving this year, very yummy! Some of us are vegan for health reasons, so its cool to get everyone in on making stuff for everyone else. The family is a mix of everything, but we're still able to enjoy the same foods if just in a different manner. :)

:D<3

Comment by Jizelle (not verified) Sat, 11/27/2010 - 00:32

That sounds insanely delicious. DO IT ANYWAYS!

btw tell Evan I'm in love with him.

um, hes taken sister. :)

Comment by Lela (not verified) Mon, 11/29/2010 - 20:11

um, hes taken sister. :)

Wow

Comment by RobotMaster3 (not verified) Sat, 11/27/2010 - 00:34

Seeing all the comments above mine about vegans and such, I have nothing against vegans or vegetarians. I'm an omnivore myself, managing to balance out both sides of myself in what I eat.

But from what I've been told, being a vegan's not all that bad. Especially if it makes you psychic...

VEGAN POWERS ^^

Comment by Camui (not verified) Sat, 11/27/2010 - 17:25

VEGAN POWERS ^^

Comment by RobotMaster3 (not verified) Sun, 11/28/2010 - 13:44

Suddenly, I'm Todd Ingram. :D

Yep

Comment by Aaron Diaz (not verified) Sat, 11/27/2010 - 00:55

Haters gonna hate.

B-But but but

Comment by Suri (not verified) Sat, 11/27/2010 - 01:58

Ananth is a vegetarian? I'm confused now!
Yoko made Chicken and Pumpkin Curry! AND YOU SAID YOU ATE IT. D:
You're either a lier, or a terrible vegetarian.
I rarely eat much meet other then beef and sea-food. (actually, to make my grandparents happy yesterday, I put the tiniest piece of turkey on my plate, covered them under the bread, and said I ate it and said it was the best turkey I ever ate.)
And I may very well become a vegetarian.
Not because of dieting, not because of true desire. Some people, like me, just don't see the need to eat it. I eat very healthy, and I can get my protein from plenty of other sources.
So some of you, like Sweet Dick Willy (btw, best story ever), can have your dislike of vegans sometimes, but remember, not all of us are crazy hippies. :3

I'm not dogmatic - I just

Comment by Ananth Sat, 11/27/2010 - 10:58

I'm not dogmatic - I just eat around the chicken and give it to Yuko, who is more than happy to have it.

I'm pretty sure only

Comment by Number Seven (not verified) Tue, 11/30/2010 - 10:54

I'm pretty sure only allowing options of "Liar" and "Terrible" makes you a "crazy hippie" variety, ja nai?

Not that Anath (coolest man without eyes) needs the defending, but I think the general rule should be "If you want someone to make allowances for your lifestyle choices, be prepared to make allowances for those of others".

...though that rule sounds kind of pretentious and douche-baggy anyway.

Comment by Alex (not verified) Sat, 11/27/2010 - 02:48

I love you Yuko!
Even though that would be gross....bacon goes with everything.....except mini bananas.

I know exactly how you feel.

Comment by Rosie (not verified) Sat, 11/27/2010 - 07:23

I have a friend who moved cities and promptly became vegan. All my STUDENT COOKING ON THE CHEAP cooking tips were immediately rendered completely invalid.

"If you cook the onions for the sauce in bacon grease after they are so delicious salty swee- oh wait."

"What you need is the biggest, cheapest, fattiest piece of meat you can- no, no, wait."

"It's better with cheese. You eat cheese right? WHAT IN GOD'S NAME IS SOY CHEESE. D:"

"WOULD YOU LIKE SOME OF THIS BACON EXPLOSION. I USED THE ENTIRE PIG SO IT'S TOTALLY ETHICAL."

Soy cheese tastes baaaad.

Comment by Camui (not verified) Sat, 11/27/2010 - 17:29

Soy cheese tastes baaaad. >_<
Personally I've never seen the appeal of artificial meat/meat products. It's full of chemicals, and it never tastes like meat anyway.
TOFU FTW.

Ahahaha!

Comment by minetruly (not verified) Mon, 11/29/2010 - 02:38

I eat meat. I love meat. However, I have tried vegan sandwich meat, AND IT IS DELICIOUS AND NOTHING ELSE CAN SUBSTITUTE FOR IT. Sometimes I get cravings for it. I just eat the plain slices of vegan meat. SO GOOD. I can go through a whole pack in one sitting, good-bye $7.

Speaking of bacon-fried vegetables!

Comment by minetruly (not verified) Sat, 11/27/2010 - 09:53

You know what's UTTERLY DELICIOUS?

Corn on the cob fried in bacon grease!

Seriously?

Comment by Tiffany (not verified) Sat, 11/27/2010 - 11:22

Sorry, but the story of tricking Veg.s to eat meat products is not the best story ever, but the story of a holier-than-thou omnivore. I have never chosen to be any flavor of veg. but when they visit me, I make sure they have delicious alternatives that go with the omnivore meal (like just leaving out the meat in the taco soup or mushroom étouffée). It is not up to me to decide what they should eat and they shouldn't decide what I eat. I found that story to be very upsetting.

Yep.

Comment by Sweet Dick Willy (not verified) Sun, 11/28/2010 - 07:57

And that's why I tell that story, Tiffany.

One night when I was about 12, and helping my Dad walk back home from a bar, he gave me some advice that I do my best to live by. he said to me: "You know what Jimmy?" (Not my real name, he thought I was someone he was drinking with, but it's usually best to just roll with it when he's like that.)

(Thusly:) "What's that Bob? (in my best not-a-12 year old boy voice)

"I think... In life I mean... I think if you're not hated by at least half the people around you, you're.. You're doing something wrong..."

After that he just vomited for awhile. So he never actually explained his philosophy fully. Still.

After we got home, my Mother beat his drunk ass around the house with a cast iron skillet; thus teaching me that it's probably best to know which half someone is before marrying them.

Sounds like a good idea, but isn't!

Comment by John Green (not verified) Sat, 11/27/2010 - 11:33

I love bacon everything and I thought I was venturing down a delicious path when I fried bananas up in the grease from bacon I'd just made.

This was not a good idea.

Having bacon, and having a banana, is fine. But frying the bananas in the bacon grease did not taste good at all.

Guh. It sounded so good, though. I imagine plantains could fare a little better, but after my baconana-astrophe, I have doubts.

You Can't Say Sweet Dick Willy Without "DICK"

Comment by Dustin Harbin (not verified) Sat, 11/27/2010 - 11:38

Pretty shocked that there isn't more outrage about Sweet Dick Willy slipping his short-dick disease into the vegan sweet potatoes. That's utterly reprehensible. Violating someone's diet, and potentially their religious/philosophical worldview, just because you can't wrap your ego around the differences between you, is almost unforgivably wrong. Honestly. SERIOUSLY.

What the heck.

Comment by Lauren (not verified) Sat, 11/27/2010 - 11:49

One of my best friends/coworkers is making the transition from hardly any meat to vegetarian to vegan. For her, it's a lifestyle choice, and she's awesome about not trying to be preachy about it. I ask her a lot of questions about vegetarianism/veganism, and she is always super cool about answering them without making me feel bad for being a meat eater (who is trying to be a more conscientious omnivore, buying more unprocessed food/humanely prepared meat).

Likewise, I try to be considerate when we're out eating. I don 't not eat meat, but if we're getting a shared appetizer, I'm fine with getting something she can eat. She also loves fish (not to eat, but to look at), so I try not to talk about how much I love sushi when she's around. I slip up every once in a while, but she knows I don't do it out of malice.

I didn't realize mutual respect for people's beliefs/choices had gone out of style. :(

I know the awakward

Comment by Serge (not verified) Sat, 11/27/2010 - 11:54

Hehe. I kind of know the kind of awkward position Yuko is in here. My fiancee has a bunch of allergies, the most wide-ranging of which is eggs, which, in certain amounts, are contained in more things than you think. While I generally do a good job of remembering all the bad foods, I sometimes do go: "Oh man, we should totally have this!" only to be met in response with cricket chirping.

As for fellows like Sweet Dick Willy, who try very hard to justify their actions by calling all the vegans that come to their store "whiny yuppies", these kinds of actions are just pathetic petty revenge that should be left in the "shameful things I did" closet, and not something that should be boasted about.

Sometimes when my fiancee asks for her meals egg and dairy free, she sounds like a vegetarian. I can only imagine a fool like yourself slipping her some mayo, which fortunately would not endanger her life, but at least discomfort her severely for the next couple of days.

Anyone, be it vegetarian or omnivore, who are militant about their beliefs, should seriously consider some anger management.

Ah hah hah! Oh man I work in

Comment by Megan (not verified) Sat, 11/27/2010 - 13:43

Ah hah hah! Oh man I work in a chocolate shop, so there's all kinds of allergy + dietary differences, my favourite one by far would have to be a father and his young-ish son coming in.

His father's pointing out chocolate in the case and he asks us about one of them. We tell him it's got nuts and chocolate. He goes "Oh co-SHHHIIIII-' picks up his kid and runs him out the store, calling out 'sorry, allergies!' over his shoulder. He had totally forgotten his kid was allergic to nuts :V

I've learned a lot about allergies and dietary choices working in a food industry, I might've thought that vegans are stuck up at once point; but not any more. I'm sooo glad I don't have any food allergies, just food preferences (try telling people you don't eat seafood when you live in a Province that grew up on the ocean. eeesh).

I do this ALL the time

Comment by Fizzy Pop (not verified) Sat, 11/27/2010 - 12:24

My best friend's vegetarian and I do this ALL the time to her, I also call her "chicken dog food" don't get me wrong, I love her and I love a LOT of vegetarian food. She knows it's in jest and well, that fake chicken she eats does taste like canned dog food. I've also had good fake chicken so it's just that one brand. As a pretty hard core meat lover morningstar's buffalo wings are pretty amazing.

You've eaten dog food

Comment by Camui (not verified) Sat, 11/27/2010 - 17:35

You've eaten dog food before?
Why?

Meat

Comment by Kanna-Maru (not verified) Sat, 11/27/2010 - 12:48

I Fry eggs in Bacon grease. and I'm a vegetarian.

*Is obviously a horrid vegetarian*

So I got kicked out of my

Comment by Darryl Ayo Brainwasher (not verified) Sat, 11/27/2010 - 13:25

So I got kicked out of my apartment two years ago. The "head roommate" said she was sick of the smell of meat. Which was a real headscratcher because me and the girl she was kicking out were vegetarians.

The guy she couldn't kick out was the building's acting superintendent...who would fry up a meat every evening for dinner.

I wonder whatever happened to them.

:D

Comment by Grashbar (not verified) Sat, 11/27/2010 - 13:39

:D

heheh

Comment by parismio (not verified) Sat, 11/27/2010 - 16:50

i kind of died at the yuko is a carnivore tag...still dying....bleeding internally...going into shock...

ANANTH ANANTH You should totally

Comment by Camui (not verified) Sat, 11/27/2010 - 17:37

put smooshed tofu and enoki in spaghetti instead of the meatballs. It is awesome.