Dress rehearsal

Dress rehearsal

Tue, 11/30/2010 - 18:07 by Ananth in response to bridesmaid dresses is hard

Yuko got some great advice for places to look at bridesmaid dresses back in this post, so she picked a day and I went along as moral support. Yuko's on the smaller side; I should have bought her scuba gear, she was swimming in them. But! She did find a dress and get it ordered, and that's a relief for her. Thank you again!

Yuko has been posting some sketches to her tumblr! And I've got one as well, although it's been dormant for a little while -- I've been doing a lot of reading recently and I'm going to be posting some related articles in my free time (haha oh god).

A quick review of holiday deadlines:

• INTERNATIONAL HOLIDAY ORDERS: DEC 1ST
  • DOMESTIC HOLIDAY ORDERS: DEC 15TH
  • That's it! Besides that, some perks: t-shirts are 25% off (exception: Hokusai)! A note about t-shirts - we're going to be trying to roll new designs in this upcoming year, which means that if you wanted Mawzantine Crest, Zoolology, or Paleontololgy now is a good time to get them, as they are going fast and we won't be reprinting them for the forseeable future! And we're packing every order with a little dinosaur gift-pack. And of course, there are books available! We will at some point be cutting the Special Editions off so that we have enough time to get those together for Christmas.
  • Also, a note to those of you who still haven't received NEWW sketchbooks - Yuko is doing her best to get them done in time for the holidays! The upside is that the sketches are a little more elaborate than Yuko was originally planning, but the downside is that it is taking her a little longer. Thanks for your patience!

That's it! We're out til Thursday! Keep warm!

Comments

I Swim too

Comment by Y (not verified) Tue, 11/30/2010 - 18:30

I totally feel for Yuko. <3 As a smaller sized female, I often find myself swimming in clothing.

:o

Comment by karen (not verified) Tue, 11/30/2010 - 18:55

I'm curious why squinting would help.

Hmm...

Comment by Hiraku536 (not verified) Tue, 11/30/2010 - 18:55

Would pant-suit have sufficed?

On the same wavelength...

Comment by ZoomZoomXandy (not verified) Tue, 11/30/2010 - 19:05

As a girl who is commonly mistaken for a twelve year old boy and doesn't even stand at five feet, when it came to my graduation... Hoo boy. Dress shopping was terrible. The dresses I liked the most were, surprise surprise, looked as if I grabbed the largest size possibly available when I had actually grabbed a 1.

It's no wonder we'd rather just wear suits or something.

That last dress is just adorable, though.

Suits

Comment by Angelina (not verified) Tue, 11/30/2010 - 21:40

That's because suits are awesomely fantastic! :D Especially fancy suits.

I feel for you, Yuko! I

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 11/30/2010 - 19:17

I feel for you, Yuko! I went out bridesmaid dress shopping and had the exact same experience, although the store I went to had this big plastic clamps to put on the back so it would fit better.

"As it turns out, these

Comment by A small sized man (not verified) Tue, 11/30/2010 - 19:36

"As it turns out, these places logically carry every dress in a larger size so that they can fit the largest range of people." It sounds like you are suggesting that large women are unlikely to get married.

I don't think he's

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 11/30/2010 - 19:49

I don't think he's suggesting that at all. He's saying the stores carry every dress size possible because all women have varying body types.

Not at all! The way one of

Comment by Ananth Tue, 11/30/2010 - 19:55

Not at all! Not really sure how you'd get anywhere near that conclusion, but for clarification: The way one of these places works is that they put one of every dress in a larger size (so that people from small to bigger can try it on) on the rack. A lady tries the dress on so they can have a rough idea of how it will look on them, and then they're measured so that they can put in an order for the dress in their size.

My mistake - I didn't know

Comment by A small sized man (not verified) Tue, 11/30/2010 - 23:33

My mistake - I didn't know that is how they operate.

I just went bridesmaid dress

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 12/01/2010 - 01:26

I just went bridesmaid dress shopping for my sister's wedding and couldn't even get half the dresses zipped up. (Fyi...an 8 is not a "larger size" that is a "average size.") The bridesmaid dress sizing is completely different than normal dress sizing. I think, speaking from personal experience, you just made a lot of women feel awfully bad about themselves with your comment.

Oh dear - not the intention,

Comment by Ananth Wed, 12/01/2010 - 12:02

Oh dear - not the intention, as I wasn't trying them on myself - I just made the assumption. I will edit. Sorry for any bad feelings!

For what it's worth

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 12/02/2010 - 11:43

I am fat as hell and just recently dodged the bridesmaid-dress-shopping bullet and didn't even begin to find anything offensive about the post. I scrolled back up to re-read it when I read this comment thinking I must have overlooked something but I don't think I did O_o;

So... there you are! There's that too. *slaps gut* Keep up the good work.

Don't feel bad short girls!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 11/30/2010 - 20:05

Don't feel bad short girls! I love all of you the most! You make me feel tall and manly! XD

Bridesmaid?

Comment by The Riot (not verified) Tue, 11/30/2010 - 20:24

A lot of trouble with the bridesmaid's outfit, eh?

Maybe it's time to try on a wedding gown, then? Eh? Eh? EH!?

Followed you both on Tumblr!

Comment by Reli (not verified) Tue, 11/30/2010 - 21:20

Followed you both on Tumblr! ♥

Glad that the dress hunt worked out!

finding sizes

Comment by Nick (not verified) Tue, 11/30/2010 - 21:24

i also know how it feels yuko trying to find sizes to fit you even though im guy im really tall so its hard for me also haha.

my friend showed me this website and i started reading the comics awhile ago i just caught up to recently. i like them, they are very funny. your drawings are really really good., keep it up i like see all the drawings and comic. haha.

Just wanted to say...

Comment by adnamae (not verified) Tue, 11/30/2010 - 23:02

I got my order in the other day and it made me so happy! The maw in my book is quite stylish. :) Anyway, your comics always make me laugh, no matter how awful a day I had. Thank you for having such a great series! Can't wait for the next volume.

Awww <3

Comment by Sven (not verified) Tue, 11/30/2010 - 23:22

Haha that's so cute!

I got my Hakusai shirt so I

Comment by Aube (not verified) Tue, 11/30/2010 - 23:42

I got my Hakusai shirt so I can wait longer for my NEWW sketchbook, haha.
The whole ordeal with the dresses sounds like its far too much of a hassle as it should be.

I hope you got the first one!

Comment by Jessica (not verified) Wed, 12/01/2010 - 00:13

D'awwww! That's adorable. Seriously you guys, this is the best Yuko-Is-Tiny themed comic ever! :)

I dunno

Comment by Number Seven (not verified) Wed, 12/01/2010 - 12:26

Personally, I'm sticking with the giant that picks up Anath and Yuko together. Though maybe that's less a "Yuko is small" and more "that man is needlessly large".

Heeee yay I ordered a shirt

Comment by Ni (not verified) Wed, 12/01/2010 - 03:30

Giant dresses are giant.

I'm glad I got around to ordering a paleontololgy tee before they sold out in my size! I didn't even know little gift packs were included. Honestly I just love the shirt and I'd have so much fun walking into class in the evening saying "HEY MY SHIRT GLOWS IN THE DARK!" and shutting off the lights.

Solutions.

Comment by Omnithea (not verified) Wed, 12/01/2010 - 07:10

Yuko could fill herself out by consuming more bacon grease. Anything to fit into that dress. Or you could wrap the dress in belts and buckles, go for the Kingdom Hearts look.

heyy guys..

Comment by Visshy (not verified) Wed, 12/01/2010 - 13:18

I recently (yesterday) started reading johnny wander and was turned in to an instant fan. Love the artwork...and comic yuko is the cutest thing EVERRRRR!!!! :)

I feel for you Yuko, but on

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 12/01/2010 - 18:33

I feel for you Yuko, but on the opposite end of the scale. I'm a teenager who's always mistaken for an adult, over six feet tall and a pants size 10. Shopping for ANYTHING is a nightmare, and it's pretty much the reason why I don't wear skirts, and I don't even own a dress.

Countries matter

Comment by AckAckAck (not verified) Wed, 12/01/2010 - 19:23

Poor Yuko, being a small sized girl living in extra large sizes country, I can understand, being extra large guy in small sizes country.

Even I have hard time looking for shoes, size 12 is rarity in my country! It's like getting rare item drops in RPG, when I got a size 12 the final fantasy victory music start ringing in my ear. Add crowd cheering if its an awesome size 12 shoes.

Oh Yuko, You're so

Comment by AryCapricat (not verified) Wed, 12/01/2010 - 22:10

Oh Yuko, You're so hilariously adoreble.

I think this is the first

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 12/01/2010 - 23:26

I think this is the first time I ever heard of a bride not picking her bridesmaid's dresses for them and just getting them tailored if there was an issue.

Oh.. oh my.. WHAT?

Comment by Kouya (not verified) Thu, 12/02/2010 - 01:59

Oh.. oh my.. WHAT? Zoolology T-shirts are sold out?! BUT---B-BUT I WAS JUST ABOUT TO--AAUUGHHH *WALLOW OF TERROR* QMQ

I too am incredibly sad that

Comment by Seed (not verified) Thu, 12/02/2010 - 03:10

I too am incredibly sad that the shirts are sold out and never to be printed again ;-; I wanted the glow in the dark one but they were always out of women's medium

aww....

Comment by Derp (not verified) Thu, 12/02/2010 - 18:31

I was hoping to get that one for Christmas. I've been wanting it for so long. :(

NEVER TO BE PRINTED AGAIN?!

Comment by Kouya (not verified) Thu, 12/02/2010 - 23:40

NEVER TO BE PRINTED AGAIN?! WHAT?! ;_____; BUT THEY ARE THE MOST AWESOME SHIRTS! I was totally prepared to buy them for Christmas only to come over and see the option GONE *BAWL*

Oh hey my nickname is Seed o_O

Aw, Yuko!

Comment by Sarah (not verified) Thu, 12/02/2010 - 02:54

I feel you on this. :( Clothespins all up the back are our friends.

Oh, Yuko

Comment by Joe Fox (not verified) Thu, 12/02/2010 - 09:10

Does anyone else think that Yuko looks like she's wrapped in a sushi roll in the last dress? I think she should pick that one.

I got my Paleontololgy

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 12/02/2010 - 16:02

I got my Paleontololgy shirt, but mine doesn't seem to glow in the dark, why is that? Was it a special order because I thought it was all the shirts :C

It has to have been in

Comment by Ni (not verified) Sat, 12/04/2010 - 05:36

It has to have been in concentrated light first. Try that and it should glow!

I cannot help but see myself

Comment by kvweber (not verified) Thu, 12/02/2010 - 23:32

I cannot help but see myself in this one. It's not just my size or similar appearance to Yuko (though I wish my hair would look as nice as hers), it's just that I empathize with being small. It never feels like a bad thing to say "yes, I'm small", it's just funny when I think about other people feeling the same way and having the same reaction. *sigh* "Yes, I am small" *shrugs*.

Glad she found a proper dress though~ that's never easy. :3

Ick... My fiancée and I

Comment by Mako (not verified) Mon, 12/06/2010 - 19:44

Ick...

My fiancée and I were invited to a wedding this coming April and she has to go bridesmaid dress hunting. I don't envy her or any other girl that has to go thru it.

As for me, I look good in a suit... and for those who know me, I rarely ever one-up myself in anything. -_-;;; It's about the only time I can prop myself up.