good idea or great idea

I have yet to take the plunge, which is odd - I'm usually the one with the sweet tooth. I don't know how I feel about that oily residue, though -- it doesn't sound appetizing? I'm going to wait for independent confirmation (i.e. you guys and gals). Some of you must have tried this! Google yields real results, so this is definitely a thing that people do.

Guys, John has a photo up for sale in his Etsy! I can't recall if I've mentioned it before, but he's actually a cinematographer and photographer by trade - his bread and butter is being Director of Photography on feature films, shorts and music videos. His car was broken into a while ago and some of his equipment was stolen, so this is simultaneously a way for him to test the waters and to see if he can recoup some of the unforeseen costs. If you'd like to see more of his work, you can check out his website here

There are even more sketches on Yuko's tumblr - check it out! I'm reposting this one here because it's seasonally appropriate:

and I'm posting this one because it is, as the cool kids say, "totes adorbs" (no one really says that, right??),

Hope you've been enjoying these!

The quick rundown on holiday deadlines:

• Final deadline for domestic orders is 12/15, which is TOMORROW!
  • Deadline for international orders has passed, but we will still be packing and shipping international and domestic orders diligently till 12/20!
  • After 12/20 there is a good chance your order will ship at the beginning of 2011! We'll try to get it in before then, but no guarantees.

Hope everyone is keeping warm! We'll catch you Thursday.

Comments

I thought about doing that

Comment by Razor (not verified) Tue, 12/14/2010 - 16:34

...the whole Nutella in coffee/cocoa thing. I'm sure there's a recipe for Nutella cocoa out there somewhere, but I'm glad Yuko boldly went!

The ugly sweater party' is indeed totes adorb (see, I'm hip!). I love Cecelia's boots!!

Heh, looks like Death had a bit too much eggnog at said party? =)

This is what went wrong with PB and Coffee

Comment by Rosscott (not verified) Tue, 12/14/2010 - 17:03

I tried Peanut Butter and Coffee under a similar guise. Didn't work out too well for me either. But still, both are amazing.

Cookie Recipe

Comment by L-Dog (not verified) Tue, 12/14/2010 - 17:10

I have a nutella cookie recipe that is pure deliciousness

Really? I tried one before

Comment by Anna (not verified) Thu, 12/16/2010 - 15:12

Really? I tried one before and used almost a whole jar of nutella but you could barely taste it. Tell me more... (or don't, I don't want to be bossy)

What you do is take a recipe

Comment by L-Dog (not verified) Tue, 01/25/2011 - 08:07

What you do is take a recipe for peanutbutter cookies but instead of peanutbutter you add nutella and add another half cup of flour.

Ugly Sweaters = Best ever

Comment by Steffox (not verified) Tue, 12/14/2010 - 17:16

D: I won't be a guinea pig for that one, Nutella makes me feel sick because of one Christmas when I ate a whole box of hazelnut chocolates and got sick... now hazelnutty things are Ew.

I love the ugly sweater doodles! I've been on an ugly sweater kick as well, quite fun. :D
A few people have mentioned to me that it's not cold where they are (the whole southern hemisphere, in fact. Of course) and thus ugly Christmas sweaters don't happen there... which makes me think we need to bring them the fun. Who wants to get in on the action of starting an Ugly Christmas Bikini/Swimshorts/tanktops/etc company?

Tumblr pictures

Comment by Pupsqueak (not verified) Tue, 12/14/2010 - 17:26

Okay, so I don't have a tumblr account. I still want to comment on the pictures, though!

I love the heraldic phoenix symbol and it makes me totally nostalgic for that comic. ;-; I will console myself by doodling up some fan art or something.

SRIRACHA YES

Comment by Danny (not verified) Tue, 12/14/2010 - 17:50

Oily stuff aside, that sounds like the best idea. Which reminds me, I am in dire need of Nutella and Sriracha...I think it's been a whole week...

I really like those pictures! I can see Death being a real grump in the morning.

Eddie Izzard Joke

Comment by AckAckAck (not verified) Wed, 12/15/2010 - 23:29

Remind me of an Eddie izzard joke

Copypasta:

Someone's killed 100,000 people. We're almost going, "Well done! You killed 100,000 people? You must get up very early in the morning! I can't even get down the gym. Your diary must look odd: 'Get up in the morning, death, death, death, death, death, death, death – lunch – death, death, death – afternoon tea – death, death, death – quick shower …' "

Ah, I haven't had nutella in

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 12/14/2010 - 17:52

Ah, I haven't had nutella in such a long time. Last time I had it was when I was around 8.

Ultimate Breakfast

Comment by Daphne (not verified) Tue, 12/14/2010 - 18:00

Hint: bake nutella into pancakes in the morning, then make that coffee, and I'm sure you will have the best breakfast ever!

NICE

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 12/14/2010 - 18:18

NICE!

Milk can only hold so much...

Comment by Daniel Luke (not verified) Tue, 12/14/2010 - 18:04

Nuttella in coffee, nuttella in hot chocolate, hot chocolate and coffee, nuttella hot chocolate and coffee... they all work, BUT!
It seems that milk can only retain so much deliciousness. The more you put in, the more you find lingers at the bottom.
But then you get a wonderful shot of melted choco-cafine-sugar-induced-goodenss!

(Also, milk and cordial tastes like frozen yoghurt, but you need to down it quick before it starts to curdle)

Lady with the Hand

Comment by CyberSkull (not verified) Tue, 12/14/2010 - 18:06

She looks good in anything. Even an ugly sweater.

I dunno about putting it in

Comment by Caitydid (not verified) Tue, 12/14/2010 - 18:09

I dunno about putting it in coffee... something tells me it wouldn't be all that fantastic, cause the oily residue would bug me too. But I ate that stuff on toast all the time in England, and I've also dipped strawberries, kiwis, and bananas in it, and that was super wonderful. So was this recipe my French flatmate made, which seemed to involve some kind of delicious pancake-like pastry with Nutella spread on it, rolled up like a burrito.

The pancake-like pastry you

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 12/15/2010 - 02:26

The pancake-like pastry you mention is a crêpe, and it's a very common practice in France to spread Nutella on crêpes (often paired with banana slices as well).

I was thinking that

Comment by MrE (not verified) Tue, 12/14/2010 - 18:53

I was wondering why Yuko would do that, because Ananth is the one who likes sweets. I was going to say that in a comment to be clever, but you beat me to it 8I
Thanks.

Tried it before

Comment by Fish (not verified) Tue, 12/14/2010 - 19:07

I have tried nutella and hot chocolate, haven't had it this year though, but I do remember it being delicious. I either can't remember the oily part or I just ignored it, but I do remember there always being some left at the bottom.

I have a really funny Nutella story. My sister and I would have a constant battle over snacks and such before she went to college, and I just found out what Nutella was last year. Why you ask? because she hid it from me for years. I laughed so hard when i found out.

Cecilia

Comment by Alain (not verified) Tue, 12/14/2010 - 19:28

My aunt Cécile was born in 1908. In some of her old pics from the 1920s she looked a lot like Cecilia. She didn't have a skeleton hand but I'm beginning to wonder if she might have been a redhead in her youth. They didn't have color photography back then. For all the time I knew her she had white hair.

man, i think those sweaters

Comment by cheeto (not verified) Tue, 12/14/2010 - 19:28

man, i think those sweaters are pretty much the greatest things ever. i'd wear them every single day

and i have a friend who honest-to-god says totes adorbs pretty much all the time.

Seems familiar

Comment by Sven (not verified) Tue, 12/14/2010 - 20:26

This reminds me of the friend who refuses to eat anything other than bread and Nutella for every meal every single day. NOTHING CAN GO WRONG WITH THAT IDEA, GUYS! -brofist-

I tried it

Comment by Cake (not verified) Tue, 12/14/2010 - 20:47

I've tried it. I deemed it a total failure -__-; On the other hand, if you run out of cocoa/hot-chocolate, chocolate flavoured icecream topping works well~~

Also, putting chewy caramel lollies in the microwave does not result in lovely goey caramel (it results in a black cinder and a horrible smell).

I am loving the Celia and Death sketches~~!
I want to throw an ugly sweater party now, it sounds like fun =3

Dammit

Comment by Emily (not verified) Tue, 12/14/2010 - 20:54

Now I can't stop thinking about what would happen if Death and Cecelia had sex which makes me feel like a pervert and I should just go write some fanfiction or something BUT I WON'T. Because that would be wrong.

Love the ugly sweaters though, so damn cute.

You're not the only one!

Comment by Dan Barry (not verified) Tue, 12/14/2010 - 21:43

At least I'm not the only one who thought there was a subtext there!

The Death & Cecelia in the Morning sketch totally made me think that ... um ... how do I put this gently ... that Cecelia is the reason Death didn't get a good night's sleep. And looks perky, to boot. (After all, she's been the one pursuing him so far!)

Between this sketch and the Apple Pie Demon, are we starting to get a glimpse of Yuko's NSFW side?!

This also reminds me of the classic chintzy pick-up joke:

Picker-upper: "Do you like Frosted Flakes?"
Victim: "Um, yeah. Why?"
Picker-upper: "Because that's what you're going to be having in the morning."

Now you've done it!

Comment by AckAckAck (not verified) Wed, 12/15/2010 - 23:33

You know, the rule of the Internet, the dreaded Rule 34

Oh and also

Comment by Emily (not verified) Tue, 12/14/2010 - 20:56

You guys I definitely say adorbs. Not often, and usually at least a teensy bit ironically, but I say it. A lot of times I'm just saying it to make Stefan make that pained face, but still.

Deplorbs.

Comment by Stefan (not verified) Wed, 12/15/2010 - 21:25

Deplorbs.

Death is so-

Comment by Hikki536 (not verified) Tue, 12/14/2010 - 20:59

-adorable!!! I like "morning" sketch the best!

this comic is like, the

Comment by Zyn (not verified) Tue, 12/14/2010 - 21:00

this comic is like, the sixth item when you search for nutella in google :O (not counting sponsored links and such.) is it like that for anyone else?

I don't usually comment, but

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 12/14/2010 - 21:11

I don't usually comment, but this comic and blog post combo are really sweet. Sweeter than Nutella, in fact. I used to love that stuff so I ate so much I became scarily allergic to it.
Thus, no more Nutella. The checked pattern on Death's pajama bottoms in the second image--Yuko's totally Nutella-appropriate expression and the way her hair flips out in the first panel--I think I'll buy Johnny Wander Year 2 when it comes out, just because you guys get better with each year! :D

Nutella Hot Chocolate

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 12/14/2010 - 21:32

It is totally possible! Put the milk and Nutella (2tbs nutella per cup of milk...I think) in a pot on the stove. Heat it over low/medium heat until the Nutella has dissolved into the milk. It takes a little longer than traditional hot cocoa, the Nutella is stubborn and resists blending with the milk. But it is worth the wait!

i was just wondering...

Comment by fuesling shadow (not verified) Tue, 12/14/2010 - 21:50

the deadline thing, if we get our order in before or on the deadline will it arrive before christmas?

also, i have the exact same sweater as Death, 'cept the nose on the reindeer lights up x3

Yes, it should arrive before

Comment by Ananth Wed, 12/15/2010 - 00:47

Yes, it should arrive before Christmas!

nutella tea?!?!?

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 12/14/2010 - 22:17

So I've never tried nutella & coffee (not a huge coffee fan), but my friend got me some chocolate hazelnut tea, so it's nutella flavored!!! Sadly, I used all of it up & I have no clue what brand it was & he doesn't remember where he got it. :( If anyone knows where I could find some, I will be your bff!!! :)

Stash Tea has a chocolate

Comment by Madison (not verified) Thu, 12/16/2010 - 12:37

Stash Tea has a chocolate and hazelnut tea, though I'm not sure if it's the right tea...

THANK YOU!!! :)

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 12/17/2010 - 23:31

Yep, that's what it was! You have just made my day! :)

this nutella comic...

Comment by Caroline Percello (not verified) Tue, 12/14/2010 - 22:56

If I had a nickel for everytime I've considered putting nutella in my coffee... Thank you for clarifying Yuko :D

Totes Adorbs

Comment by Remy (not verified) Tue, 12/14/2010 - 23:00

you're messing with my fabric of reality, man. Listen to Anthony and Ashly Burch's podcast HAWPcast (heyash.com)...they abbreviate statments like that. Their favorite is "turbs jelly" (turbo jealous) AND AND people say you guys look alike. (Ananth and Anthony) and somewhat similar names? wtf!! I am so confused.

I've done this with coffee

Comment by Suri (not verified) Tue, 12/14/2010 - 23:23

Because I thought it would taste so yummy in mocha. But it just made the coffee very very earthy, which I don't like. Its just like getting a mocha with hazelnut flavoring.

Possible option

Comment by Migs (not verified) Tue, 12/14/2010 - 23:50

Perhaps if you made the nutella hot chocolate, and then whisked in some instant espresso as well. That may give you the flavors you want without the oily residue. Not quite sure though as I'm not much of a coffee person.

I am allergic to the

Comment by orach (not verified) Tue, 12/14/2010 - 23:51

I am allergic to the delicious glory that is Nutella.
This makes me want to eat it, even though it is poison to me. :C

And those sketches are adorable. I love ugly Christmas sweaters. Everyone needs to have one! :D

Oh man, you guys need to try this

Comment by Joe Fox (not verified) Tue, 12/14/2010 - 23:56

What you guys should do is make some old fashioned hot cocoa, but like this -

One cup of hot milk
Two tablespoons of Hershey's Cocoa
Two tablespoons of sugar
One tablespoon of brown sugar
A dash of cinnamon

It helps if you mix it in a blender/food processor, since that eliminates all the little chunks of dry cocoa that tend to clump together at the bottom of the cup.

It is amazing and perfect for a cold day.

John = awesome

Comment by Maus (not verified) Wed, 12/15/2010 - 00:25

Oh, wow. I went to John's Etsy and his website... So talented. So awesome. :) Give John a big hug for me. He deserves many. If I even could find the thief, I'd kick him in the face for you guys.

OH MY GOD JOHN D:

Comment by Kilimbo (not verified) Wed, 12/15/2010 - 00:47

Nooooo! Why does America have to be so cruel. Where is the link to send money to your bank account, John? We should all donate at least a little <_>

My favorite thing to do with

Comment by Mmmmmm nutella... (not verified) Wed, 12/15/2010 - 02:29

My favorite thing to do with Nutella is spread it on a soft tortilla and roll it up. It's like a dessert burrito!

If you wanna get really fancy, you can add some peanut butter too... and maybe even caramel sauce if you don't mind getting it all over yourself.

you could make nutella

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 12/15/2010 - 03:27

you could make nutella cookies and dunk them in the coffee! MMMMMMM.

Or just eat it straight out of the jar. Like I'm doing now :D

D'aaaw!

Comment by Dirka (not verified) Wed, 12/15/2010 - 03:34

The last two sketches are sooo cute <3

Thanks for making my morning!

Nutella Drink

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 12/15/2010 - 06:29

I am so trying this, can't believe it didn't occur to me before. All I been doing is putting it in pastries.

this can work, sorta..

Comment by kane.zach (not verified) Wed, 12/15/2010 - 09:51

We have made a peanut butter latte at the cafe I used to loiter/work at. The trick was putting the peanut butter in first and pull the hot espresso and milk over it whilst stirring vigorously! Torani makes a PB and choco syrup but that always seems so fake and gross personally.

I don't think you can beat the chemistry of such drinks-just gotta drink them fast before you notice the oil slick surface.

The Yuko nutella exhiliration expression is awesome.

Comment by Skie (not verified) Wed, 12/15/2010 - 10:58

I am probably not alone in being extremely appreciative that the Death/Cecilia sketches have continued. After seeing the introduction comic of the two, I had a lingering desire to see so much more done with the two of them. Though it's not the same as more comics featuring the two and their adorable antics, it is certainly just as satisfying. I, and i'm sure many others, look forward to more of anything that you sketch up with Death and Cecilia. (I say, chaps, they are totes adorbs. *Coolkid*).

In addition, Nutella Hot Chocolate is delicious under the sole condition that it is prepared via whole milk + nutella over stovetop heat. I have found that any other method does not yield results that are nearly as pleasing (though they are still delicious). Many of the recipes that you pulled up, Ananth, would work nicely; one of them, actually, is my default. I really only drink it when i'm in a sweet, chocolate craving mood because it's so rich and delicious though.

The default that I mentioned is listed here. 2 TBsps of Nutella per 1 Cup of Milk is usually the best ratio, for me. ...and the chocolate shavings make it extra amazing (I recommend dark chocolate shavings! Mmmmm).