Don't listen to him

Don't listen to him

Tue, 12/21/2010 - 18:17 by Ananth in response to terrible terrible food science

EDIT: Reader Nate and his lovely girlfriend sent us a corrected version of the comic. Thanks guys!

True story: I once made grilled cheese with a hairdryer in college! The girl I borrowed it from wanted nothing to do with me after she found out. ): And the grilled cheese turned out bad, too - so not worth it.

First things first - Sunday was Conrad's birthday! Happy birthday Conrad! Wish him a good one, if you have a moment.

We mentioned our lack of heat last time - it's been fixed! Very fixed - I'm writing this in shorts. Awesome.

Those of you who have put in orders up to today - I'm dropping them off at the post office first thing tomorrow. I hope you get them in time!

Even more sketches over on Yuko's tumblr!

Most of our roommates have left the apartment to visit their families, so we're milling around and working on whatever we can get done in the hopes that we can enjoy the holidays headache free. We'll continue to update through the New Year! But please keep in mind that you may get a filler or two as we won't have all our usual resources at our disposal.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and Happy Holidays celebrating whatever it is you celebrate! Next year will be your best year yet!

Comments

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CONRAD

Comment by JetAngel (not verified) Tue, 12/21/2010 - 18:25

And hurray for heat in the apartment!

I had a friend who used to get those bake-at-home pizzas like from Papa John's or whatever. He'd basically hermetically seal them up in foil, put them under the hood of his car, and drive around for a while. When he got home, it was perfectly cooked.

Oddly enough, no one questioned how he cooked them until he got a new car and he stopped doing it. xD

... ... ..

Comment by kane.zach (not verified) Wed, 12/22/2010 - 09:14

I wouldn't normally comment on a comment (no offense) but that is incredible to me!

THANKS BRO

Comment by conrad Thu, 12/23/2010 - 02:02

FOR REALSIES

The Soggiest

Comment by Aube (not verified) Tue, 12/21/2010 - 18:26

I tried that once in college, not the butter part it was an older iron but its still went soggy. Also don't try and egg either, it gets in the holes.
Happy Holidays to you guys, eat, drink, be merry and thankfully warm.

Grilled Cheese

Comment by Obaki (not verified) Tue, 12/21/2010 - 18:28

Uh, Goodwill usually has a selection of Foreman grills for cheap. And instead of butter, try lightly brushing olive oil on the bread. And use some Tillamook sharp cheddar.

Cheers!

Innovation is the key to success

Comment by David Herbert (not verified) Tue, 12/21/2010 - 18:44

It's also the key to hilarious situations.

Actually I think an iron

Comment by Zoe (not verified) Tue, 12/21/2010 - 18:48

Actually I think an iron would work way better than a hair dryer...
As long as you didn't use the steam function, and you put a piece of baking paper over the bread I don't see why it shouldn't work...

Happy B-Day!

Comment by RobotMaster3 (not verified) Tue, 12/21/2010 - 18:51

Happy belated Birthday, Conrad! May all your enemies erupt into coins after you beat them down.

As for the iron-grilled cheese, I think if you used a classic heated iron instead of a steamer iron, you MIGHT have a chance.....but then again, you'd probably get a nice big grease stain on the ironing board.

Works for quesadillas!

Comment by Terry (not verified) Tue, 12/21/2010 - 18:51

A friend of mine used to travel extensively for work, and came home to the hotel one night extremely late. The only store open in the town was a convenience store that sold tortillas, shredded cheese and aluminum foil, among other things. The hotel room had a free iron.

The rest is left as an exercise for the reader.

Thanks for the comics!

I would think a blow-dryer

Comment by Leah (not verified) Tue, 12/21/2010 - 18:55

I would think a blow-dryer would make a melted cheese sandwich instead of a grilled cheese.

Of course it's possible!

Comment by dwag3 (not verified) Tue, 12/21/2010 - 18:57

Now I am willing to try

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 12/22/2010 - 09:38

Now I am willing to try this.

Also wondering on butter in the reservoir.

The Grilled Cheese Incident

Comment by Razor (not verified) Tue, 12/21/2010 - 18:59

Agh, what is it with you all and food disasters? XD First the roasted peppers (mace) and the roasted garlic (smoke signals), now this...

It makes sense in theory but probably doesn't work in practice. Call Mythbusters and see if they'd do it! =D

Actually, that works really

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 12/21/2010 - 18:59

Actually, that works really well, even with a new iron. You just have to wrap the sandwich in tinfoil.

Oi oi oi oi!

Comment by Kilimbo (not verified) Tue, 12/21/2010 - 19:16

I got your book but there's a typo on pages 124 and 125.
It's just a number switch, but shouldn't you have seen this already?

We know about it! Nothing

Comment by Ananth Wed, 12/22/2010 - 10:21

We know about it! Nothing doing until we hit a second printing, though.

Okay!

Comment by Kilimbo (not verified) Wed, 12/22/2010 - 15:27

As long as you know I'm good :D

Plus, this makes the first copies a misprint. They turn out more valuable in the future *w*

Iron-grilled cheese

Comment by Kylene (not verified) Tue, 12/21/2010 - 19:29

Iron-grilled cheese sandwiches are such a Benny and Joon moment!

Happy Birthday, Conrad!

Oh, thank goodness - I was

Comment by Pip (not verified) Wed, 12/22/2010 - 04:43

Oh, thank goodness - I was on the verge of despair, having got this far down in the comments without seeing a single mention of "Benny & Joon"!!! :D

Worried too

Comment by Cassie-Jo (not verified) Wed, 12/22/2010 - 11:04

I was also about to give hope that no one thought of Benny and Joon. I've never tried it myself, but I would be devastated if I learned that you can't actually make grilled cheese with an iron.

... Or mashed potatos with a tennis racket.

First and foremost you can

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 12/23/2010 - 02:17

First and foremost you can make grilled cheese with an Iron, I've done it... and I did OF COURSE because of benny and joon, I was worried about someone not mentioning it myself - first thing that came to mind for me lol, actually thought thats where the idea was from...

Ahaha, the first thing I

Comment by Linners (not verified) Tue, 12/21/2010 - 20:22

Ahaha, the first thing I thought of was Benny and Joon. :3
I've made grilled cheese with an iron too! It's actually pretty easy. :3

Happy Birthday, C-MAN.

Comment by ClockShock (not verified) Tue, 12/21/2010 - 21:11

Happy Birthday, C-MAN.

Yes you can! In fact i used

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 12/21/2010 - 21:31

Yes you can! In fact i used to survive grilling on an iron while doing my internship. Just keep the iron upside down.

Mat iron sandwiches

Comment by tudza (not verified) Tue, 12/21/2010 - 21:33

My photography professor told us that people had used the devices for heat welding mat board to foam core or whatever for making hot sandwiches.

Personally, I used a two-cup hotpot to heat the water to make two gallons of rice and raisin wine in my dorm.

Old school

Comment by Emily (not verified) Tue, 12/21/2010 - 21:48

That is how my mom made grilled cheese sandwiches when she was a broke college student. Wrapping the sandwich in foil and ironing it means it doesn't get soggy at all.

OMG

Comment by Alex (not verified) Tue, 12/21/2010 - 21:51

I....Love....you
also, it doesnt work unfortunatly ._.

I love the new sketches, can

Comment by Kuragari (not verified) Tue, 12/21/2010 - 22:13

I love the new sketches, can there be a new line of bookmarks please?

British Dialogue

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 12/21/2010 - 22:43

John: Can you make a grilled cheese with an iron?
Evan: Won't it get soggy?
John: I haven't the soggiest idea.
BAD PUN!!!!!

Do it! Dooooo iiiiit! It'll

Comment by Jack K. (not verified) Tue, 12/21/2010 - 22:52

Do it!

Dooooo iiiiit!

It'll be crunchy and delicious and you won't regret it! DO IT!

Why limit yourselves to grilled cheese?

Comment by Melanie (not verified) Tue, 12/21/2010 - 23:03

True, Alton doesn't actually use an iron to make the Cuban in that episode, but he does say it can be done. Just be generous with the aluminum foil to keep things clean.

Wrap the sandwich in foil

Comment by T (not verified) Tue, 12/21/2010 - 23:14

Wrap the sandwich in foil and you can iron it to make grilled cheese. Worked on a desk in my dorm :)

...

Comment by Joe D. (not verified) Tue, 12/21/2010 - 23:48

But... but you MUST DO SCIENCE TO IT

Best Idea Ever. (In your

Comment by HakuoBlazer (not verified) Wed, 12/22/2010 - 00:26

Best Idea Ever. (In your head of course)
Have a Merry Christmas :)
(Happy Birthday Connor :D )

Please?

Comment by L-Man (not verified) Wed, 12/22/2010 - 00:31

"Or You Could Fill it With Butter" T-shirt, please?

Oh my goodness, YES!

Comment by Pip (not verified) Wed, 12/22/2010 - 04:47

With him on the front and the 'anti-butter in iron' picture on the back!

I would buy the HECK outta that t-shirt! :D

SOLUTION

Comment by Neph (not verified) Wed, 12/22/2010 - 00:47

After much consideration and the use of some ample free time, I've found that emptying the reservoir and adding butter spray (something like PAM) to the face of the iron works pretty well. Don't let it get too hot!

Makes for better quesadillas, though!

AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGH! Curse you!

Comment by Arcc (not verified) Wed, 12/22/2010 - 03:19

Now you've gone and given me bad ideas, and as a man of science I will not be able to rest at ease until I attempt this butter-in-the-reservoir experiment thingy. I think I will need to sacrifice an iron to this cause before I die, lest I be doomed to forever haunt college kitchenettes waiting for somebody else to be desperate enough to try it.

reservoir

Comment by Test_subj (not verified) Wed, 12/22/2010 - 03:41

I'm all for destroying a few cheap irons for the sake of showmanship. I may have to try the iron technique at the next grilled cheese competition. Last year the blueberry goat cheese on cinnamon raisin bread ended up just tasting exactly like a bagel/cream cheese.

Just a quick side-note

Comment by Robert V Aldrich (not verified) Wed, 12/22/2010 - 09:18

While I'm certain we're all glad your adventuring party is no longer in danger of freezing to death, details as to your writing attire are not neccessary.

Just saying.

While I was in Vietnam...

Comment by Luke (not verified) Wed, 12/22/2010 - 12:52

I made grilled cheeses in a rice cooker. That was difficult, but they turned out so delicious I didn't complain.

D-Dude ... how was this

Comment by conrad Thu, 12/23/2010 - 02:06

D-Dude ... how was this miracle accomplished?

fun with mirrors

Comment by Alain (not verified) Wed, 12/22/2010 - 14:01

Now that the days are getting longer you can go to the roof of your building and do some experiments making grilled cheese with mirrors.

You don't need tons of mirrors. They just have to be the right size to completely line the interiors of two black-painted boxes which are open at the top. It doesn't matter if the mirrors are broken instead of precisely cut to the size of the boxes. You can take mirror shards and stick them to the box interiors with two-sided duct tape.

The inner box has to be just big enough for the grilled cheese. The outer box has to be at least a foot bigger than the inner box, in all directions.

You'll need clear glass for covering the top of each black-painted box. Again it doesn't have to be precisely cut.

Finally, wear sunglasses at all times during this experiment.

Another cullinary experiment

Comment by Wrex (not verified) Wed, 12/22/2010 - 17:05

When in college, I used to make Ramen noodles with my coffee maker and eat right out of the carafe.

I believe that Johnny Depp

Comment by Neevy (not verified) Wed, 12/22/2010 - 18:50

I believe that Johnny Depp made grilled cheese with an iron in Benny and Joon.... it worked out alright for him.

Though, he also made mashed potatoes with a tennis racket.

Benny and Joon

Comment by Bexany (not verified) Wed, 12/22/2010 - 18:56

Its been done in that movie, it looked like it worked :D

The "correct" version of

Comment by keroberos (not verified) Thu, 12/23/2010 - 00:47

The "correct" version of this just makes me die laughing! It's so good XD!

Birthday!

Comment by Stephanie (not verified) Thu, 12/23/2010 - 01:56

Happy birthday to Conrad! It was also my boyfriend's birthday, a friend of ours and my birthday as well! Almost coaxed the bar out of a free pitcher since it was all three of our birthdays. Hope Conrad had just as much fun as we did!

True but nerdy fact: I had a

Comment by conrad Thu, 12/23/2010 - 02:04

True but nerdy fact: I had a really ruckus night the night before my birthday, so the day of my birthday I just sat around beating Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. It was awesome.

sounds like something I would think up

Comment by Fish (not verified) Thu, 12/23/2010 - 02:10

seriously sounds like something I would think up. although i don't think I would ever try it.

Congratz on the heating getting fixed and happy birthday Conrad!

on another note I got my NEWW sketchbook a few days ago and I love the sketch of death, he's having some trouble buttoning his cuffs, which I can never do by myself so I laughed when I saw it. I would have let you guys know it arrived sooner but I'v spent the last few days traveling to California and working on college essays so I'v been dead tired. Thanks for the wonderful sketch Yuko.