Don't listen to him

Don't listen to him

Tue, 12/21/2010 - 18:17 by Ananth in response to terrible terrible food science

EDIT: Reader Nate and his lovely girlfriend sent us a corrected version of the comic. Thanks guys!

True story: I once made grilled cheese with a hairdryer in college! The girl I borrowed it from wanted nothing to do with me after she found out. ): And the grilled cheese turned out bad, too - so not worth it.

First things first - Sunday was Conrad's birthday! Happy birthday Conrad! Wish him a good one, if you have a moment.

We mentioned our lack of heat last time - it's been fixed! Very fixed - I'm writing this in shorts. Awesome.

Those of you who have put in orders up to today - I'm dropping them off at the post office first thing tomorrow. I hope you get them in time!

Even more sketches over on Yuko's tumblr!

Most of our roommates have left the apartment to visit their families, so we're milling around and working on whatever we can get done in the hopes that we can enjoy the holidays headache free. We'll continue to update through the New Year! But please keep in mind that you may get a filler or two as we won't have all our usual resources at our disposal.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and Happy Holidays celebrating whatever it is you celebrate! Next year will be your best year yet!

Comments

Paula!

Comment by Mistress Pyro (not verified) Thu, 12/23/2010 - 02:47

My love for Paula burns with the fiery intensity of 1000 suns! D: My love for John also burns around that temperature as well. . . kinda <3

Also have a very merry unbirthday! <3 Since your birthday has passed, it has been deemed that it is your unbirthday. Sounds pretty messy to me. . .

Maybe....

Comment by Rincewind (not verified) Thu, 12/23/2010 - 04:13

If you used TWO irons, you'd get a panini-press effect!

If you did put butter in the

Comment by Shiny (not verified) Thu, 12/23/2010 - 06:56

If you did put butter in the iron and it still works it would be totally awesome!!!

But the instant you use it on clothing there would be butter stains everywhere.

Hmmmm. An iron for ironing and an iron for grilled cheese.

That will work!!

Comment by Puck (not verified) Thu, 12/23/2010 - 08:12

Birthday Wishes!

Comment by Daniel (not verified) Thu, 12/23/2010 - 10:16

Happy Birthday, Conrad!

I did like the correct version of the comic. Many laughs were had amongst my friends.

Things my parents did in college

Comment by TiwazTyrsfist (not verified) Thu, 12/23/2010 - 10:23

1> You can totally make a grilled cheese using an iron. Turn it up to the top heat, don't use the steam, and wrap the sandwich either foil or parchment (Don't use wax paper).

2> My dad used to cook hotdogs using a 'glowing pickle' rig. This is a holder made of 2x4's, two long nails, and an electric cord. You take an electric cord, strip the ends of the two wires, and solder a long nail to the end of each one. Stick the two nails into the opposite ends of a hotdog, then place it on some sort of insulated surface to hold it. Plug it in. Unplug it when it smells cooked. DO NOT TOUCH WHILE PLUGGED IN!

3> My grandpa had actually welded a metal box with rails, a door, and insulation on the top and sides onto the engine of his old car. One of the things we received after he died was a copy of a basic cook book with notations in it. "Eggs, soft, 30 miles. Eggs, Hard, 45 miles. Pizza, Phoenix to Albuquerque." and so on.

Your grandpa sounds like

Comment by Puck (not verified) Thu, 12/23/2010 - 18:24

Your grandpa sounds like most awesome person in the history of ever.

sorry to be late to the party but...

Comment by AckAckAck (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 02:06

Congrats to Conrad! Happy birthday to a member of Johnny Wander Crew, I give you my warmest congratulation from me, a total stranger who have been entertained by Johnny Wander Comics since the first time you guys make JW.

Now, about the iron, you can get the classic iron with no water reservoir or for extra smoky taste, you can use a coal iron, well, you know, the classic iron that use burning hot coals rather than electricity.

In primary school a friend

Comment by good.news (not verified) Sat, 12/25/2010 - 04:54

In primary school a friend and I used to toast Nutella sandwiches under the hand dryer in the bathroom. Mmmm unsanitary.

But no really they were pretty delicious.

try using a propane torch.

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 01/14/2011 - 16:42

try using a propane torch. works fast if you hold it too close so the bread gets toasted on the surface but not inside, so hold it back enough that it doesn't look like anything is happening

What..? No mention of Benny

Comment by Jeheace (not verified) Mon, 02/28/2011 - 13:52

What..? No mention of Benny and Joon?

used to make these for the

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 03/12/2011 - 19:27

used to make these for the kids; we called 'em proctor-silex sandwiches. lazy, I know, but they remember these more than the meals I spent hours on.

Iron? Hah. Everyone knows

Comment by Mvnk (not verified) Mon, 03/21/2011 - 05:21

Iron? Hah.

Everyone knows that A Trouser Press is the way to go.

I think I love John. XD

Comment by nSSA (not verified) Wed, 03/30/2011 - 02:18

I think I love John. XD

If you use aluminum foil its

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 04/06/2011 - 19:20

If you use aluminum foil its really easy to make grilled cheese with an iron. Lrn2college.

I watched Top Chef this

Comment by Ashley (not verified) Wed, 08/10/2011 - 11:43

I watched Top Chef this morning and they did make grilled cheese with an iron so yes, it's possible! : ) Apparently it was really good~!

You know what you should fill the iron with? :D

Comment by JET73L (not verified) Thu, 09/15/2011 - 01:17

BACON GREASE! :D

...

*:D

...Guys?

Benny and Joon

Comment by Fangedfollower (not verified) Wed, 08/22/2012 - 22:30

The first thought in my head was "wool setting"

We used an iron to make a

Comment by Bird (not verified) Mon, 01/07/2013 - 14:39

We used an iron to make a baked egg at scouting :D and we made toast on it. Works just fine (it was alternative ways to cook day)