Great Eggspeggtations

Great Eggspeggtations

Thu, 12/23/2010 - 23:16 by Ananth in response to how did we get two dozen eggs anyway

I don't hate eggs, and they're not terribly eggspensive, but ughhh. I guess I should have eggspected to get sick of them, especially when the rate of consumption goes up eggsponentially.

There's nothing I can do to make that better for you, so I'll just leave it there. Please, don't thank me. I do it for you.

Actually, while we're talking about eggs (by which I mean I am talking at you about it), I should mention that I looked up the recipe for eggnog. There's about 2 cartons of eggs that we had to work our way through, so we approached the problem from all angles. Eggnog is actually not that complicated! The only real complication is that the one person I know who is remotely passionate about eggnog is Conrad, and he now lives across town. Conrad has been known to down a quart of eggnog in a day! We refer to the annual act of this as Connoggin' it (actually I just made that up, but I think it has real potential).

Happy holidays everyone! I hope you have a good time celebrating whatever it is you're celebrating. If you're working, godspeed and have a good one! I'll be working too, most likely! All aboard the work sled, mush!

Comments

Make a quiche! That is... if

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 12/23/2010 - 23:30

Make a quiche! That is... if you're man enough! o-or whatever.

Comment by Aube (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 11:24

Quiche is the best, its a breakfast pie, there is nothing better than that!

eggs and roomates

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 12/23/2010 - 23:41

How many roommates do you actually have at this point? Some of the people introduced earlier this year seem to be out of the picture (literally) now.

Try egg drop soup -- just stir beaten eggs into any hot broth.

Such egg-aggeration in this

Comment by Laura (not verified) Thu, 12/23/2010 - 23:48

Such egg-aggeration in this post!

Try Japanese-style egg salad sandwiches! Hard boil some eggs, mash them up with some Japanese mayonnaise, add some salt and pepper (and mustard, if you're into that sort of thing) to taste. Then chill and slather onto some bread (or toast, which is divine). Mmmmmm.

If you're curious, Japanese mayo has a slightly different recipe than American mayo, so it ends up tasting a little different. And by different, I mean better.

Only a quart in a day? I can

Comment by sylan0 (not verified) Thu, 12/23/2010 - 23:50

Only a quart in a day? I can go through that in about 5 minutes... As long as noone gets mad at me cause they want some

Eggnoggin

Comment by SgtDC (not verified) Sun, 12/26/2010 - 06:42

I usually mix 2 quarts of eggnog with 2 quarts of milk, and drink it that way. Personally, I can go through that in a few hours. Sounds to me like Conrad needs to step up his game. ;]

Dilution

Comment by LT (not verified) Sun, 12/26/2010 - 23:23

I also prefer to cut my 'nog with milk. And rum. Because ... rum!

Eggcellent!

Comment by Suzi Roo (not verified) Thu, 12/23/2010 - 23:53

Deviled eggs for your neighbors! Angel food cake for friends. Toads in a hole for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Fritatta, quiche without the crust. Have fun. :D

...I'm poor right now and

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 00:01

...I'm poor right now and I'm so sick of pizza the sight of it makes me want to throw up. What is my alternative?

Eggs.

Eggs forever. Sunny side up eggs for brunch, fried eggs for dinner. It never ends. Good thing I like eggs or else I'd be miserable.

I'll probably never eat them again when I'm not poor anymore.

Cakes or such!

Comment by Krysil (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 00:32

If you want to get rid of the eggs faster you should bake stuff. Most recipes take up at least 2 eggs so if you make like a ton of cookies, cakes, etc you can use the eggs quickly and make yummies to give to your neighbors and friends :)

Wait...

Comment by Jedifreak (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 00:36

I thought Ananth was a Vegetarian. Since when do vegetarians eat eggs?

You're thinking of vegans

Comment by Aido Fri, 12/24/2010 - 01:08

Vegetarians generally eat milk products, eggs, and sometimes fish.  Ananth doesn't get vegan powers.  D:

Vegan powers

Comment by Scruffy (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 11:45

Chicken parmigiana's not vegan...?

DEVEGANIZE RAY!

Comment by Suki (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 19:06

There are a number of types

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 12/29/2010 - 08:11

There are a number of types of vegetarianism, which exclude or include various foods.

* Ovo vegetarianism includes eggs but not dairy products.
* Lacto vegetarianism includes dairy products but not eggs.
* Ovo-lacto vegetarianism includes animal/dairy products such as eggs, milk, and honey.
* Veganism excludes all animal flesh and animal products, including milk, honey, and eggs, and may also exclude any products tested on animals, or any clothing from animals.[20]
* Raw veganism includes only fresh and uncooked fruit, nuts, seeds, and vegetables. Vegetables can only be cooked up to a certain temperature.[21]
* Fruitarianism permits only fruit, nuts, seeds, and other plant matter that can be gathered without harming the plant.[22]
* Su vegetarianism (such as in Buddhism), excludes all animal products as well as vegetables in the allium family (which have the characteristic aroma of onion and garlic): onion, garlic, scallions, leeks, or shallots.
* Macrobiotic diets consist mostly of whole grains and beans.

Bake something! Meringues,

Comment by eli (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 00:46

Bake something! Meringues, maybe? Or you can make creme brulee and custards. Those can take up 6 eggs, easy.

but you can do so much with

Comment by Maus (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 00:50

but you can do so much with eggs! You can use them as a binder, make meringue, make hollandaise sauce, and lots more! Yum!

Just had this same problem

Comment by FriendlyStray (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 00:52

My roommate left alot of eggs in the fridge before heading back to Texas on Monday. Since I moved out yesterday, that didn't leave alot of time for consumption! Lets just say many plates of insta-brownies were given to the mantinance guys.

This is probably silly, but that fridge is really drawn nicely. Even though its an object of the environment, there is something charming about it. Haha and those tiny chicks are priceless! XD

We don't have an oven and

Comment by Emily (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 00:58

We don't have an oven and our kitchen is chilly and unheated, so the quickest and easiest way to get some hot food in me is eggs, pretty much every day. Fried rice with eggs, fried egg sandwich with buttered toast and cheese and tomatoes, omelettes with eggs and whatever's left over. Hard-boiled eggs for a to-go breakfast sometimes.

It's been longer than I'd like to admit but I haven't gotten tired of my almost-all-egg diet so far! Good luck to you guys!...

suggestion

Comment by Fish (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 01:05

Maby you could make a quiche? home made quiche is so good, and it uses quite a few eggs too.

Nobody can eat 50

Comment by Snarkyxanf (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 01:32

Last one out!

Comment by Kouya (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 01:39

I'm also the last one going home in my suite X'D I cleaned up the place and I'm finishing off as much perishable food as I can. I made fried rice with the eggs I had and now I only have one egg left! Yeah trying to make other stuff with eggs would be a good way to go about it :P I would get sick of too many eggs consecutively too.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS :D

Tried baking them into

Comment by Raptorix (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 01:50

Tried baking them into cookies or quiche???? Poaching one in ramen/udon broth?
IDK I think I wouldn't mind so badly.

Egg ideas...

Comment by Organs (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 01:51

I use eggs like crazy! They're integral for spaghetti carbonara, I use them when I bread chicken, and you can always bake cookies...

egg science, or eggsperiments

Comment by Alain (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 02:27

You don't have to make egg bhurji, or quiche, or egg kheema with all of them.

Since you're fond of experimenting with food (like grilled cheese) you could experiment with eggs.

For instance you could use an egg to demonstrate to a visitor the use of static electricity for magical, instant egg cooking:

Eggnog

Comment by RobotMaster3 (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 02:35

sounds really good, too. And with the above comments about making custard or meringues sound nummy, too.

Hope all of ya have a Merry Christmas and happy holidays!

egg-cellent uses for eggs, from an egghead

Comment by Lannie (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 02:55

...yeah, yeah I know.

Longtime reader/lurker, but I *have* to chime in when it comes to eggs. I eat so much of the stuff that it's a wonder that I'm not dying of cholesterol (thanks, genetic lottery!).

But like mentioned above, baking is an eggcelent way to get rid of them! Angel food cake uses up 12 egg yolks! Souffle can get rid of at least 6 whites! Then you can freeze the yolks and keep them around for creme brulee! The options are endless! And I'm using too many eggsclamation marks!!!!! ahhh

Or if you're tired of eating them, you can do this: http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/inspiration/how-to-glowing-eggs-for-hal...

k, back to lurking.

Boil them, my boy, boil

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 03:33

Boil them, my boy, boil them. Then add salt, add a little paprika if you must, or Tabasco sauce or Rooster Sauce or whatever it is that you like and munch away.

BAKING TOO DON'T FORGET BAKING oh my good god cakes and muffins and cracking one over some ramen or mixing it into mashed potatoes ain't half bad either

Don't forget also that-

Comment by Hikki536 (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 04:32

-Milk is usually good for about 2 weeks or so from my past experience. Gets chunky after that.

EGG EGG EGG

Comment by AckAckAck (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 04:51

I love EGG! EGG is GOOD, gimme some EGG! gimme gimme gimme!

..............

oh well

you missed an excellent

Comment by elby fitch (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 05:00

you missed an excellent opportunity for pickled eggs. boil, shell, throw in a jar and cover with vinegar. they'll last forever, and the longer you leave them the more entertaining a dare it becomes to eat them :)

Maybe you could hide them

Comment by Eye Bawl (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 07:03

Maybe you could hide them somewhere for Easter?
Why bother hiding eggs that will go rotten when you can just HIDE ROTTEN EGGS.

Try some Shakshuka if you're

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 07:40

Try some Shakshuka if you're looking to shake things up. You'll probably even eat this when you're *not* trying to use up all the eggs.

is one possible recipe. For some real North African flavor, also add about 1 Tbsp harissa (a Moroccan chili paste I'm sure you can find around somewhere)

Bake with them and freeze

Comment by Aini (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 08:44

Bake with them and freeze the products for a quick snack when you are too busy to bake anything and desire yumminess.

Most baked goods will freeze nicely and when you are working late into the night and get hungry u just have to get it out of the freezer and nom it.

Nom nom.

Happy Holidays!

It's worth noting that

Comment by Fyrehair (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 10:36

It's worth noting that homemade eggnog is about ten billion times better-tasting than that horrid box-syrup that passes for it in stores. Sure, that may SOUND like an exaggeration, but it's really true! Separating the eggs is kind of a pain, but it's totes worth it. Also, if you're into that sort of thing, I recommend adding Drambuie for the hooch, rather than sherry or brandy. Yum yum yum.

Another eggsperiment worth making: waffles. You can add all sorts of things to waffle batter. My personal favorite is chocolate chips and crumbled bacon.

how

Comment by Jomu (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 11:10

can you have so many eggs? Time to make a huge batch of egg salad sandwiches! :D
Love your comics! Merry Christmas!

Work on the holidays? whaat?

Comment by Aube (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 11:27

Since my art is on the back burner of things due to Everything else (school, military) The holiday "breaks" are the only time I can sit and spend a few solid hours working on it. When you guys decided to start this full time as a career where you ever afraid it would no longer be fun?

Egg-tastic

Comment by Boomer Gonzales (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 11:35

You can also make a milkshake with them with milk, eggs, and your choice of flavored syrup/powder.

Down the concoction and pretend like you two are going to go out and fight crime with your protein powered awesomeness. XD

Seriously though; putting an egg in a milkshake before blending is the secret to getting that coveted frothy ice cream shoppe top without the fancy expensive whipper that Starbuck's(bastards) uses now. It's been a secret of the Ice Cream shoppe biz for decades and now the secret belongs to all of you.

Unless of course you already knew this, then now you can either nod in pride if you already knew this or curse my name shouting "You Fool!! Now everyone knows!!"

Happy Holidays everyone!!!

Eggtastic & fluffballs!

Comment by Grayscale (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 11:38

Lime Eggnog
Pancakes. Millions of Pancakes.
Omelette. IN EVERY FORM (My favourite being a French oven-baked one.)
And so on.

You really can NOT have too many eggs. Unless you know. The floor is covered with them and every step you take crushes the opportunity for a little yellow life. Just sayin'.

Egg Longevity

Comment by Tristan (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 11:52

Eggs actually last quite a long time. Some countries don't even refrigerate them. I remember being horribly confused and alarmed when I went to New Zealand and saw tons of eggs just sitting on the shelf in the grocery store.

We went through a carton of eggs in 3 days.

Comment by Sweetiebone (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 12:50

I made a big thing of omurice this past week. With just the two of us we went through a whole carton of eggs eating the left overs. Also, we didn't get tired of the eggs at all because they aren't the main flavor of the dish.

The longevity of eggs is really long. While in warehouse and the back of a lot of supermarkets they aren't refrigerated.

Those puns..... I'm sorry

Comment by contagonist (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 12:56

Those puns.....

I'm sorry Ananth... you need to be shot.

That's the only suitable punishment for those OH GOD NOW I'M DOING IT

D:

You missed one. I don't hate

Comment by Red (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 13:10

You missed one.

I don't hate eggs, and they're not terribly eggspensive, but ughhh. I guess I should have eggspected to get sick of them, /eggspecially/ when the rate of consumption goes up eggsponentially.

Eggspecially

Comment by LT (not verified) Mon, 12/27/2010 - 10:04

Reasonable, but doesn't follow the same pattern (wherein "ex" becomes "egg").

I love you

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 13:21

Bread pudding custard and chinese style steam egg

Comment by Melissa (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 13:52

Also bread pudding and custards. All you need is some stale bread milk and sugar with lots of eggs. you can add fruits and nuts for breakfast.

Also savory steamed eggs in a pan. it's kind of similar to quiche but it has a texture like scrambled eggs.

Brioche. If you have flour,

Comment by Mo (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 14:02

Brioche. If you have flour, butter, and eggs, you can make brioche.
And meringue, but that's a HUGE pain.

Eggs!

Comment by Ley (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 15:13

Hot to get rid of eggs when your sick of the taste of eggs? French Toast! So so goood!

Eggs go very well in soups,

Comment by Todd (not verified) Fri, 12/24/2010 - 15:22

Eggs go very well in soups, making the soup extra creamy (if you stir the egg up really well) or giving you lovely chunks of poached egg (if you don't stir it up very much). Either way, it's delicious and nutritious. I put them in ramen all the time.

As a bright side, eating a lot of eggs in a short period of time is good for one's virility. Just eat some oatmeal or something to help keep your arteries clean.