Great Eggspeggtations

Great Eggspeggtations

Thu, 12/23/2010 - 23:16 by Ananth in response to how did we get two dozen eggs anyway

I don't hate eggs, and they're not terribly eggspensive, but ughhh. I guess I should have eggspected to get sick of them, especially when the rate of consumption goes up eggsponentially.

There's nothing I can do to make that better for you, so I'll just leave it there. Please, don't thank me. I do it for you.

Actually, while we're talking about eggs (by which I mean I am talking at you about it), I should mention that I looked up the recipe for eggnog. There's about 2 cartons of eggs that we had to work our way through, so we approached the problem from all angles. Eggnog is actually not that complicated! The only real complication is that the one person I know who is remotely passionate about eggnog is Conrad, and he now lives across town. Conrad has been known to down a quart of eggnog in a day! We refer to the annual act of this as Connoggin' it (actually I just made that up, but I think it has real potential).

Happy holidays everyone! I hope you have a good time celebrating whatever it is you're celebrating. If you're working, godspeed and have a good one! I'll be working too, most likely! All aboard the work sled, mush!

Comments

Boiled Custard!

Comment by Nancy (not verified) Sat, 12/25/2010 - 01:02

It takes 8 eggs to make boiled custard (a rich, creamy custard you drink, it's a part of the holidays down here in the south) and it's about ten times better than eggnog. Even home made eggnog. And it's really easy to make. Boiled custard. Make it.

I've made Alton Brown's

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 12/25/2010 - 01:25

I've made Alton Brown's eggnog (the cooked version) and it turned out deliciously. Other possibilities include pasta carbonera, quiche, creme brulee and custard. :9

When I have eggs, I cook up

Comment by Kurry (not verified) Sat, 12/25/2010 - 01:32

When I have eggs, I cook up some ramen noodles, throw them in to the frying pan then throw some scrambled eggs and cheese into the mix.
Then add Curry powder, Cummin, and a touch of Cayenne powder..., oh and then add the packet sauce that came with the noodles.
And thats how you living up packet noodles and eggs.
Happy good eats.

Eeeeggss

Comment by Blue (not verified) Sat, 12/25/2010 - 10:36

well I'd definitely use them to make things like pancakes, cookies, cupcakes, muffins or cakes :D Yummy sweets to help use up the eggs. but also the Eggnog is a good idea, go pay him a visit with a jug'o'nogg xD

I feel your pain, my fathers

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sun, 12/26/2010 - 02:26

I feel your pain, my fathers a regular shopper at costco and always buys too many eggs. Then one year the costco egg nog, the day before it went bad he made a batch of eggnog pancakes. Enough to say they were double egg and very gross :(

Who wants some pound cake?

Comment by Tengokujin (not verified) Sun, 12/26/2010 - 10:04

If you have the flour, butter, and sugar, go ahead and weigh out approximately a pound of eggs and the same weight of the other three ingredients. Mix thoroughly, salt to taste, bake at 350F until golden brown and delicious. Should freeze well, if necessary.

Breakfast Wraps

Comment by LT (not verified) Sun, 12/26/2010 - 23:21

For each serving, take:
• 1 large flour tortilla ("burrito" or "wrap size" are ideal)
• "enough" cheese (as determined by personal preference. We use one slice from the broadside of a 2 lb. block.)
• 1 or 2 eggs
• 4 to 6 large leaves of raw spinach
• about 2 tablespoons of your favorite salsa
• 1 tablespoon sour cream (optional — I like it; my wife doesn't)

Scramble eggs. Melt cheese on tortillas in microwave. Lay de-stemmed spinach over the melted cheese. Add the eggs, salsa and sour cream. Wrap tortilla around contents and commence nomming.

Some people like to cook the spinach, in which case they use about four times as much due to the way it tends to shrivel. You might also try adding mushrooms, bell peppers, or any other ingredient you like in an omelet. Experimentation is key. Have fun!

I'm also heading away for

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Mon, 12/27/2010 - 05:37

I'm also heading away for the new year - thankfully I don't have to deal with eggs since I can't eat them hehehe

however I do have an entire loaf of bread to get through before tomorrow.

kinda out of ideas on that front that doesn't involve eggs (bread and butter pudding) or toast.

Use eggs to make eggplant

Comment by Personal Genius (not verified) Mon, 12/27/2010 - 09:21

Use eggs to make eggplant parmigiana. The eggs bind the breadcrumbs to the eggplant. Or you can also make fried zucchini. And anything else you might have that you'd like to be coated in breadcrumbs. :)

You don't even need to have them straight up for breakfast. Use them to make French toast, pancakes or Pirate's Eyes.

YAY!

Gaslight Anthem reference?

Comment by Conrad Lukawski (not verified) Mon, 12/27/2010 - 13:07

Well, if it isn't, I'm still going to listen to them anyway now :D

I've had to do this before, though! I made LOTS of cookies.

I find the quickest way to

Comment by Lunitaire (not verified) Mon, 12/27/2010 - 13:50

I find the quickest way to get rid of eggs is to make egg fried rice with tamago toppings. That uses 10 eggs right there.

On the other hand, you could

Comment by Spizzy (not verified) Mon, 12/27/2010 - 17:25

On the other hand, you could do a lot of baking? Cuz man, eggs are gross.

Dinosaurs?!

Comment by Catherine (not verified) Mon, 12/27/2010 - 17:58

You sent dinosaur figures and stickers with your orders? I just got one with my Mawzentine Crest shirt! I love it. So much. You guys are the best. :3

Eggspensive! So eggspensive!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 01/08/2011 - 19:43

Eggs ARE expensive! Very expensive when you compare the price of an individual egg to the actual mass of the food it provides.

The price is a little more reasonable (though still slightly disproportionate) if the chickens have the eggs tortured out of them, though. You don't buy eggs that have been tortured out, do you?

Please don't thank you?

Comment by JET73L (not verified) Thu, 09/15/2011 - 01:22

I shall thank you anyway. Thank you, good sir, for having eggsactly enough egg puns to further make my day. I'll be sure to albumention it the next time my friends and I discuss horribly amazing works of pun ;D

Eggs

Comment by Kabanzai (not verified) Wed, 12/12/2012 - 22:35

.. I eat 1-2 eggs with every meal , just because they're cheap proteins. .. Stirfry, Chinese chilli, eggs n bakkie, Eggfried rice, Eggs n ramen. Eggs and Hamburger steak. XD