Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

Tue, 01/04/2011 - 15:30 by Ananth in response to party hard

Happy New Year! More mini-comics from the holidays. Thoughts:

• Rook's box under the Christmas tree was bigger than the rest of the presents combined - clearly he won out.
  • Yuko's Mom is about as underwhelmed by mullets as the rest of us.
  • Yuko got me watching some 'girly anime' on Netflix, and that's more or less how we rang in the new year.

We rarely watch anime these days - maybe one series a year at most. Actually, I wrote a long entry about how my personal relationship with anime has changed, and then I realized it was better as a Tumblr post. I'll mention when it's up.

The orders that we weren't able to ship over the holidays are going out tomorrow!

I finished playing Mass Effect! Yeah, I know, I'm years late - oops. But anyway - Mass Effect succeeds where a lot of harder science fiction fails (for me), in that in hard sci-fi the world-building is tremendous and amazing, but the characters are often 1. flat & unbelievable and 2. vehicles to reveal how cool the world is. I am fond of science fiction, but these are concessions I have had to make when reading. Mass Effect has a fully realized, believable world and injected into this are believable characters that you can actually care about. It's unfair to compare a book to a video game in many respects because the reader/book and player/game relationships can be substantially different (with advantages on both sides), but Mass Effect has definitely delivered a marriage of ideas that I can really get behind. I'm done gushing: here's a picture that was up on Yuko's Tumblr a little while ago to close up.

See you guys Thursday!

Comments

Ouran High School Host Club!

Comment by Alana (not verified) Tue, 01/04/2011 - 15:38

Ouran High School Host Club! <3

Anime is no longer my thing, but I can't resist that show and all of its super femmy "hot" guys.

Ouran!

Comment by JET73L (not verified) Thu, 09/15/2011 - 01:32

Gah, I love that show! Now I want to watch the more wintery/cold episodes (including the one where they put a tropical forest in the music room) next New Year's.

If you want do workouts at

Comment by Ventel (not verified) Sun, 06/23/2013 - 03:47

If you want do workouts at home, choose best treadmill for under 1000. Elliptical machine is a good fitness trainer for home use.

gotta love some Ouran

Comment by FrozenPhoenix (not verified) Tue, 01/04/2011 - 15:46

gotta love some Ouran ^_^

and I haven't gotten the chance to play Mass Effect but for christmas I got Dragon Age Origins which was made by the same people and I'm loving it. Bioware really makes such great characters and I can't wait for Dragon Age 2

Girly Anime

Comment by Shadow King (not verified) Tue, 01/04/2011 - 15:52

Is the anime by any chance Ouran High School Host Club, because if it is my love for you guys has increased exponentially. ˆ-ˆb !!

Sounds like my New Years'

Comment by Eric the Read (not verified) Tue, 01/04/2011 - 16:08

We pretty much did the same thing for New Year's, except instead of girly anime, we watched Babylon 5.

My girlfriend and I were

Comment by David Herbert (not verified) Tue, 01/04/2011 - 19:26

My girlfriend and I were watching the third season of Digimon.

Food!

Comment by AckAckAck (not verified) Tue, 01/04/2011 - 16:13

Gift : Rook need her(his) bird diet.

New year eve : Sleep shortly after 12.00? you guys getting old... just like me...

OURAN

Comment by bento (not verified) Tue, 01/04/2011 - 16:22

I am a guy and I LOVE that show. Mostly because of the sendup of the standard shoujo tropes. How do I know about these? Um, no comment.

(A quote from Scott Pilgrim about being raised by teenage girls may suffice.)

Ouran Highschool Host

Comment by Tobiasender (not verified) Tue, 01/04/2011 - 16:39

Ouran Highschool Host Club.

Girly, but still good.

Similar!

Comment by Karu (not verified) Tue, 01/04/2011 - 16:45

But instead of watching girly anime, we spent the last two hours playing Brawl and yelling at each other. XD

Ouran is <3~

Happy New Ye*zzzzz*

Comment by Razor (not verified) Tue, 01/04/2011 - 16:46

We did the same (sans girly anime and margaritas).

I haven't seen any anime for a while either. A few months ago I put on 'Heat Guy J' and was hit by a wave of nostalgia.

I've got some anime in the Netflix queue though--Trinity Blood, Solty Rei, Wolf's Rain. Probably should put some Samurai Champloo on there because I never saw the whole thing from beginning to end. Yeah I know I'm hopelessly behind the times but I was never a DBZ, Naruto or Bleach fan.

Happy New Year! =D

And Rook won't appreciate

Comment by Pupsqueak (not verified) Tue, 01/04/2011 - 16:46

And Rook won't appreciate those presents hardly at all. Silly cats.

Also, my new year looked a lot like that too. Only it was root beer schnapps with ice cream, but I was totally out right after the ball dropped.

How could anyone not know

Comment by Kate (not verified) Tue, 01/04/2011 - 17:06

How could anyone not know what a mullet is? I didn't think that was possible. Then again, I've lived in the south my whole life.

Song Imprinting FTW

Comment by Willow (not verified) Tue, 01/04/2011 - 17:08

Haha! I love how everyone was able to identify the anime from a single line in the intro song!

But yes, Ouran High School Host Club! For all of its flowers and sparklies, it is actually quite good, and very sweet in places. Happy New Year, and enjoy!

I rang in the new year by

Comment by yourenodaisy (not verified) Tue, 01/04/2011 - 17:12

I rang in the new year by watching Ouran as well!

And Mass Effect is just wonderful, and the game play in ME2 is incredible... now if you will excuse me, I need to go play it some more.

Underwhelmed

Comment by Toad (not verified) Tue, 01/04/2011 - 17:15

>.> I got a hat and books.

I know has to be Ouran too.

Comment by Kimba (not verified) Tue, 01/04/2011 - 17:20

Yea, as soon as I read "Kiss Kiss" I suspected Ouran High School Host Club too. It just HAS to be. I love that show and manga.... manga is better though (ends better).

Comment by Aube (not verified) Tue, 01/04/2011 - 17:44

So my New Years was similar but replace girly anime with Kirby Epic Yarn and margaritas with Baileys on ice. Aside from that once it hit 12:01 I was out like a light.
New Years Resolutions?
I assume that there will be pictures of Rook in his new Crib?
(of course I mean crib as in house not as in something you would place a baby into)

My favorite girly anime is "Ecchi Oppai San Chan Paradaisu Desu"

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 01/04/2011 - 18:29

"kissu kissu fall in rabbu" made me lol

Anime

Comment by Kia (not verified) Tue, 01/04/2011 - 18:31

XD You guys were watching Ouran? This pleases me greatly.

Who to save?

Comment by JustBen (not verified) Tue, 01/04/2011 - 18:37

This was the hardest choice to make ever :P but Mass Effect 1 and 2 are both amazing games.
I have love for Garrus and he better be in the next Mass Effect

Haha, probably Ouran. Yay

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 01/04/2011 - 19:31

Haha, probably Ouran. Yay girly anime?

Also, Mass Effect = great. Garrus picture = greater.

I love Yuko's expression in the eighth panel! My only question is whether it should be 'exiting' or 'exciting'...

Rook...Oh, Rook. xD

Mass Effect

Comment by Michael Moore (not verified) Tue, 01/04/2011 - 20:22

Remind me to lend you the first Mass Effect book. It talks about how humans got to space, and met up with the other aliens. But is mostly about Capt. Anderson and Saren.

Maybe once I find a place in the city I'll drop it off.

I <3 Ouran!!!

Comment by Alice (not verified) Tue, 01/04/2011 - 20:23

I <3 Ouran!!!
I never even thought about watching anime on netflix until now...Guess who's gonna spend the whole night watching girly anime on netflix!!!!!

This website is awesome!

Comment by Sammy (not verified) Tue, 01/04/2011 - 21:19

So I stumbled upon this website from QC, and I read every page. This webcomic is awesome! I went to go support you guys at your store, but the book is sold out. Bummer :(

I really enjoyed reading your adventures!

Also, Mass Effect (1 AND 2) is fantastic :D

Comment by Quinn O'Hara-brantner (not verified) Tue, 01/04/2011 - 21:35

Was that Ouran High School Host Club? I love you guys even more now!
And Garrus is awesome.
Also, I'm the guy who emailed you for an interview a bit ago. Remember thaaaat? I'm afraid to say that most of the paper ended up being the interview, but oh well. That's what happens when you do a paper hurriedly so you can catch up on your other schoolwork.

OH YEAH OURAN <3

Comment by SH (not verified) Tue, 01/04/2011 - 21:49

OH YEAH OURAN <3

ME2 continues from ME1

Comment by Mikhail Popov (not verified) Tue, 01/04/2011 - 21:57

Now go play Mass Effect 2 and make sure to import your ME1 character because all the decisions you made and things you did carry over. Also ME2 improves on many of ME1's gameplay problems.

Oh no D: I once again have

Comment by Aenya (not verified) Tue, 01/04/2011 - 22:18

Oh no D: I once again have to fiddle with the typo's T_T I'm such a nazi...
Shouldn't it be "exciting" in the last set of strips instead of "exiting" D: ?
Or is it a pun I'm not getting :<?

I think that it is a sort-of

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 01/04/2011 - 23:51

I think that it is a sort-of pun....

...Given that they are not really having excitement, but are in fact using sleep as a vehicle to exit the celebration. Or that is how I took it.

Though, speaking of typos, I

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 01/04/2011 - 23:52

Though, speaking of typos, I think there may be an uneccesary apostrophe in your own comment. Oops.

Mass Effect...

Comment by Psydotek (not verified) Tue, 01/04/2011 - 22:35

Well that's interesting... I just beat Mass Effect myself for the first time too about an hour ago. 35 hours over about 4 days... WTF? Downloading Mass Effect 2 as we speak (or as I type?) Commander Vanessa Shepard FTW!

Girly anime and pet gifts.

Comment by Emily (not verified) Tue, 01/04/2011 - 22:39

It took me a second to realize the theme song was from Ouran! :)

My dogs got Christmas-themed chew toys this year... and proceeded to destroy them within the week. Hoping Rook treats his cat house more gently. xD

LOL KISS KISS FALL IN LOVE.

Comment by Stephanie (not verified) Tue, 01/04/2011 - 22:43

LOL KISS KISS FALL IN LOVE. Ouran High School Host Club is like one of my favorite animes. You guys get cooler and cooler!

Underwhelmed by mullets?

Comment by Haggis (not verified) Wed, 01/05/2011 - 01:01

You should have shown her a picture of macgyver. That would show the greatness of the mullet.

Everybody Loves Ouran

Comment by penkittychan (not verified) Wed, 01/05/2011 - 01:15

Love that you were DEFINITELY watching Ouran High School Host club--absolutely my favorite shojo anime. The theme song is so ridiculously catchy; I'm so happy you included it in this comic. Great way to start 2011!

Me too

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 01/05/2011 - 01:19

Just wanted to join everyone spazzing on the single panel. Not a bad OP, imo. Wonder what would happen if I looked for parallels between Haruhi and Yuko.

My new year's midnights tend to be a surly muttering of "Glad that's over with" but I hope everyone else is less pessimistic and even had fun.

Ouran! I, like many others

Comment by hiddentwilight (not verified) Wed, 01/05/2011 - 02:29

Ouran! I, like many others apparently, heard the theme song sing in my head when reading this comic! :)

I spent my New Year's with my boyfriend (who is Japanese)'s family and family friends watching Kōhaku Uta Gassen and laughing at all the ridiculous Japanese musical numbers. The most pertinent observations were that the better the singers the less backup dancers/ridiculous their costumes were, and how much it must have sucked to perform in the latter half (2 or 3 hours in) and having to wait that long back stage, and the fact that you couldn't pay me enough to be stage manager for this (so many people, lights, costumes, set changes - I can't even imagine...)

What I'm about to say...

Comment by Grashbar (not verified) Wed, 01/05/2011 - 02:35

Is the absolute truth.

The older you get, the smaller the presents.

Mass Effect

Comment by Kronk (not verified) Wed, 01/05/2011 - 02:36

Believe it or not, I just finished Mass Effect today too, and I agree wholeheartedly with your appraisal. My only hesitation was the freaky alien sex aspect. Without a doubt, the most awkward thing I have ever experienced in a video game.

Same here

Comment by Biggo (not verified) Wed, 01/05/2011 - 03:27

Seems like many of us had a similar new year's. Couch, anime, instant sleep.
Me, I've been trying to show Suzumiya Haruhi No Syoushitsu to the female specimen, but she was asleep before I finished introducing the story (she hasn't seen the series, either).
Oh, well. A great new year to everybody.

Watching Ouran is clearly

Comment by Kit (not verified) Wed, 01/05/2011 - 07:53

Watching Ouran is clearly the best way to finish a year. :D

(I'm loving this new format you guys have got going on, as well. Great work!)

What is this I don't even

Comment by Jade (not verified) Wed, 01/05/2011 - 10:16

I ACTUALLY left the house for New Years! Went to an alternative club and didn't get home til 4:30am (we decided we were hungry so we had to go to MacDonalds, only thing open 24/7 in Western Australia).

That sketch is amazing and would make a good t-shirt.

Awww man

Comment by Jade (not verified) Wed, 01/05/2011 - 10:17

Now I have the Ouran intro song in my head!

Ouran

Comment by Hikki536 (not verified) Wed, 01/05/2011 - 10:32

Been at least 3 years since I saw that show :|a I should revisit

For me, I spent new year's eve watching Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt... so much trollolol-ing going on.

Mullets

Comment by Dolly (not verified) Wed, 01/05/2011 - 10:35

My mom grew up in the 80's, so she is very well aware of what a mullet is. What I found surprising though, is that recently I had to explain to her the term 'business in the front, party in the back', and to me, that just seemed a whole different kind of weird.

Ouran!

Comment by Neesee (not verified) Wed, 01/05/2011 - 13:36

I totally missed that line from the theme song the first time I read the comic. I have the DVDs and might rewatch it now. My latest obsession has been Hetalia: Axis Powers/World Series.

Manly

Comment by Doval (not verified) Wed, 01/05/2011 - 16:18

Ouran High School Host Club is the manliest anime I've seen other than Gurren Lagann <3

The last panel is priceless!

Comment by Kaeleira (not verified) Wed, 01/05/2011 - 19:48

The last panel is priceless! You guys are so cute~ ^^