Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

Tue, 01/04/2011 - 15:30 by Ananth in response to party hard

Happy New Year! More mini-comics from the holidays. Thoughts:

• Rook's box under the Christmas tree was bigger than the rest of the presents combined - clearly he won out.
  • Yuko's Mom is about as underwhelmed by mullets as the rest of us.
  • Yuko got me watching some 'girly anime' on Netflix, and that's more or less how we rang in the new year.

We rarely watch anime these days - maybe one series a year at most. Actually, I wrote a long entry about how my personal relationship with anime has changed, and then I realized it was better as a Tumblr post. I'll mention when it's up.

The orders that we weren't able to ship over the holidays are going out tomorrow!

I finished playing Mass Effect! Yeah, I know, I'm years late - oops. But anyway - Mass Effect succeeds where a lot of harder science fiction fails (for me), in that in hard sci-fi the world-building is tremendous and amazing, but the characters are often 1. flat & unbelievable and 2. vehicles to reveal how cool the world is. I am fond of science fiction, but these are concessions I have had to make when reading. Mass Effect has a fully realized, believable world and injected into this are believable characters that you can actually care about. It's unfair to compare a book to a video game in many respects because the reader/book and player/game relationships can be substantially different (with advantages on both sides), but Mass Effect has definitely delivered a marriage of ideas that I can really get behind. I'm done gushing: here's a picture that was up on Yuko's Tumblr a little while ago to close up.

See you guys Thursday!

Comments

MASS EFFECT

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 01/05/2011 - 22:57

So strange that you've just finished Mass Effect recently, I've only just finished it as well as the sequel a few months ago and I felt the exact same way! The universe that they've created feels so vast and filled with politics and personalities that are almost tangible to the player! I'm sure if you play ME2 you'll enjoy more of that; the new characters (and previous favorites) that you team up with offer complex personalities developed by the character's past experiences. Anyhow, I'm just thrilled that others like this game for the same reasons I do. Good plot + believable characters + good graphics are a difficult combo to come by, I have high hopes for Bioware and all of their games.

I just played through Mass

Comment by Sylvan (not verified) Thu, 01/06/2011 - 00:37

I just played through Mass Effect for the first time this past autumn, and also really enjoyed it! You should be sure to pick up ME2, it has even more interesting folks, and the decision points start to branch off of one another when you load your Mass Effect 1 save.

Totally just read all of these in a row.

Comment by Truffleberry (not verified) Thu, 01/06/2011 - 00:42

FFFFFFFF- I love you guys.

Oh jesus

Comment by Little Coding Fox (not verified) Thu, 01/06/2011 - 04:03

I finished Mass Effect (1) this week too! I was gifted both 1 and 2 during the Steam Holiday Sale. Garrus is my favourite character :D

Ahhh, Ouran <3

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 01/06/2011 - 08:09

Ahhh, Ouran <3

Ouran

Comment by Kimberly (not verified) Thu, 01/06/2011 - 09:41

Hahaha, was the "girly anime" Ouran High School Host Club? If it is, I love that I was able to tell just from the first few words of the opening song :)

XD you guys watched Ouran

Comment by Brett Christie (not verified) Sat, 01/29/2011 - 13:29

XD you guys watched Ouran Highschool Host Club?

That's actually a hilarious anime. I don't take the romantic part seriously. >>

The Anime

Comment by Jacob Martin (not verified) Sun, 04/01/2012 - 17:57

That anime wouldn't happen to be Ouran High School Host Club, would it? I seem to recall that being the opening theme... Sakura Kiss, isn't it?

kiss kiss fall in love?

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 12/13/2012 - 17:24

kiss kiss fall in love? ouran high school host club? whaaaaaaat

THAT ANIME

Comment by Wallflower227 (not verified) Fri, 01/11/2013 - 16:36

The awesome moment when I know the exact anime that opening belongs to. And when I sang it perfectly before I recognized it...

There is a distinct

Comment by Humble-Hoverer (not verified) Fri, 01/25/2013 - 14:45

There is a distinct possibility that it's not Ouran Host Club. The words Kiss Kiss Fall In Love are part of the theme to more than that. Like Steel Angel Kurumi. Which in my opinion is better than Ouran...