That Starbucks Ceiling Fan

That Starbucks Ceiling Fan

Tue, 01/11/2011 - 19:43 by Ananth in response to speaking from experience

Littered in coffee grounds! They've got to be. One day years from now they'll start scraping them off and add a new item to the menu. Just for you, John.

Updates on the store: Special Edition books are back! Yuko's design is up for sale at Hey Chickadee! And we'll be adding some new things in the next few weeks, including (gasp!) vinyl toys.

Mass Effect 2: complete! What a fun game. You can skip the rest of this paragraph if you don't want to hear about it. We ended up watching all of the romance hook-ups on Youtube afterwards. Thoughts: Miranda is a Bond girl, Jacob is hilariously bad (the prize!), Jack is ... Jack, Thane wants you to know how sad he is, Garrus' is sweet, but Tali's is the most adorable by a longshot. We'll probably download that Shadow Broker DLC at some point ... I can definitely say that Liara is much more likeable in this game than in the first.

I think that's it! We're sorting out our schedule so I don't have a lot to talk about up front; but soon! Soon. See you Thursday!

Comments

Starbucks Ceiling Fan

Comment by Otakop (not verified) Tue, 01/11/2011 - 20:00

Dusty, coffee. Eww! I love coffee as much as the next schmuck, but standards...I has them.

Yay for ME2! Shadow Broker

Comment by Britt (not verified) Tue, 01/11/2011 - 20:19

Yay for ME2! Shadow Broker is totally worth it, one of the best DLCs by far. It adds like, a novel-worth of information to the game in the end.

And no matter how sad Thane is, his crotch is always :D-ing at you. Check it. You'll never unsee it now.

Oh dammit, it is too. And

Comment by Ren (not verified) Wed, 01/12/2011 - 15:02

Oh dammit, it is too.

And I've still got, like, three hours left in the game, during which I will be unable to stop giggling. :C

Well, he looks tall enough to have tried....

Comment by Anonymouse (not verified) Tue, 01/11/2011 - 20:48

Lol! Honestly, I think the John-isms make up a large percentage of my favorite comics.

I have to admit I agree.

Comment by sugarapplesweet (not verified) Tue, 01/11/2011 - 21:33

I have to admit I agree.

Me too - every panel of John

Comment by dekinai (not verified) Wed, 01/12/2011 - 10:26

Me too - every panel of John and his furrowed eyebrows getting all riled up is just, like, priceless.

Chocolate...

Comment by Kimmik (not verified) Tue, 01/11/2011 - 20:53

For some reason I really want to try this chocolate. >>

I consider this...

Comment by RobotMaster3 (not verified) Tue, 01/11/2011 - 21:37

to be a lovely birthday present.

John's witty banter is always awesome.

John's hair is looking a bit

Comment by OhMan (not verified) Tue, 01/11/2011 - 22:05

John's hair is looking a bit long. Possible haircut tax due?

As a former Starbucks

Comment by Laura (not verified) Tue, 01/11/2011 - 22:19

As a former Starbucks employee, I can assure John that the tops of the fans aren't as delicious as they might appear.

I highly recommend the Shadow Broker DLC, by the way. It's really very good, easily the best DLC for the series (well, apart from Kasumi, because her loyalty mission is basically about being James Bond). It's absolutely worth the few bucks.

A More Likeable Liara

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 01/11/2011 - 22:20

Have you played any of ME2's expansions? Personally, Liara's complete shift in temperament when you first meet her in the main game really alienated me, but I felt better about it after playing Lair of the Shadow Broker, wherein she let me in on her plans and she and Shep got a chance to actually catch up about old times.

Current Starbucks employee disagrees

Comment by Lemiwinks (not verified) Tue, 01/11/2011 - 22:40

I've enver even seen a Starbucks on the west coast with a ceiling fan in it. Even if they didd have then, they'd be cleaned daily. It's one of our daily task to clean all of the vents and ceiling. No joke.

Also, recommended Pay for DLC for ME2, in order:
Lair of the Shadow Broker
Katsumi, Stolen Memories
Overlord
Anything free
The rest of the pay to get it DLC.

Still working on ME2, but

Comment by animaspect (not verified) Tue, 01/11/2011 - 22:40

Still working on ME2, but Tali's loyalty mission has been my favorite part of the game by far. The way she reacted to the truth and what she was prepared to do trumped anything I was expecting.

Also, are there any plans to restock zoolology shirts?

Liara?

Comment by Barnabas (not verified) Tue, 01/11/2011 - 23:06

I'm surprised you like Liara better in ME2. Is it just because she's less generic, compared with the first game? I felt pretty alienated by her coldness (pre-Lair of the Shadow Broker), but I guess that was the point.

Either way, Lair is pretty awesome. Overlord's pretty great too, if you don't have it yet.

I'm surprised, too.

Comment by Sarah (not verified) Wed, 01/12/2011 - 10:14

She was way cold, word. I haven't gotten a chance to play Lair yet (the 360 was underway with my Navy husband for most of the year...) but just going by her in-game personality, I'm surprised she comes across as more likeable!!

Someone said to me that Liara is a bit like Michael Corleone... a naive student flung into the depths of the underworld.

I should level with everyone

Comment by Ananth Wed, 01/12/2011 - 12:24

I should level with everyone - I didn't particularly care for Liara in ME1! She seemed like a generic character. The great thing about how long the ME series is that you actually get to see people become affected and change (like Garrus and Wrex between ME1 and ME2). Seeing Liara's change in ME2 made me feel some depth of character. My opinion of Liara was also partially colored by my opinion of asari, who are also my least favorite race in the game. A race of superhot space ladies, I get it - but they feel sort of contrived next to all the other races in the ME series! I could go on, I won't ... it's just a personal thing!

Tags

Comment by Ragnr (not verified) Tue, 01/11/2011 - 23:33

This needs the Johnism tag

which is the best tag.

OHMIGOSH TALI

Comment by Kylogram (not verified) Tue, 01/11/2011 - 23:39

I don't eat chocolate anymore, I love the taste but it makes me sick to my stomach...

As for Mass Effect, I loved 2 and now I'm playing 1 so I can get that whole career of service thing going on. Tali is definitely my favorite romance from either of the two games, she's as adorable as they come! C:

Also...

Comment by Kylogram (not verified) Tue, 01/11/2011 - 23:46

Also, Shadow Broker is really solid DLC, so is overlord.

Kasumi is a good one to get because her loyalty skill annihilates husks (especially useful towards the end and on harder difficulties)

The other DLCs aren't necessary, but still fun to play

*Can't stop ROFL* Oh man,

Comment by KittyMaverick (not verified) Tue, 01/11/2011 - 23:51

*Can't stop ROFL*

Oh man, John's one liners are gonna be the death of me some day...

ME2!!!

Comment by Raptorix (not verified) Wed, 01/12/2011 - 00:42

Anybody die in your ME2 suicide run? Hope not! D:

Lair of the Shadow Broker is a HIGHLY RECCOMENDED DLC, and Overlord is pretty good. If you want to play the game all over again, get Kasumi's Stolen Memory too, she's a very useful character to add to your squad (She's good as a Tech in the Vents!) You had Zaeed from the start, right? D:

I actually downloaded Stolen

Comment by Ananth Wed, 01/12/2011 - 12:27

I actually downloaded Stolen Memory so I'd get the full ME2 experience the first play through - I don't really have a lot of extra time on my hands these days and I wanted to get it all in the first (only) time.

Everyone is talking up Shadow Broker! Yuko really wants to see it too, I guess we're going to play it!

Chocolate!

Comment by NN (not verified) Wed, 01/12/2011 - 02:51

I must try this ceiling fan coffee! Now that you've said that, I must know what it means!

Is is MERCI chocolate?

Comment by NatNat (not verified) Wed, 01/12/2011 - 04:25

Haha I was sure that "Merci" chocolate isn't available in USA, I thought you can only buy it in Europe :)
I know, I'm such ignorant ;)

You blew our minds a little

Comment by Ananth Wed, 01/12/2011 - 12:30

You blew our minds a little by recognizing the brand. I think I liked the praline and hazelnut best!

I'm so smart ;D Nah, kidding

Comment by NatNat (not verified) Wed, 01/12/2011 - 14:04

But I'm happy I was right, Yuko drawing is really good so it was easy to recognize it's Merci :) Funny thing is that I just ate my last Merci this morning - and I love it all, but my favorite is "Coffe & Cream" - I hope John liked it haha

Sorry for my grammar but too much chocolate makes me dumb ;D

Y'all have convinced me.

Comment by Sayr (not verified) Wed, 01/12/2011 - 09:08

I have been convinced by these comments to buy Lair of the Shadow Broker. I love Mass Effect so much. I didn't think Thane was sad, he was my Shepherd's squeeze. He's all romantic and would remember every moment they spent together for the rest of his (albeit short) life! It's like I'm his make-a-wish foundation. For the hot lovin'. To hell with emo Kadian!

Talia is probably my favorite character, too. I thought Liara in the first game was weird, and this second game seemed like an entirely new, completely opposite personality that seemed really awkward. I hope this DLC sorts it out!

Shadowbroker is totally

Comment by DrGirlfriend87 (not verified) Wed, 01/12/2011 - 10:42

Shadowbroker is totally worth it. I think it's BS that PS3 people get all the DLCs for free when they buy the game.
LIARA IS T3H 53x!

Bleh

Comment by Razor (not verified) Wed, 01/12/2011 - 13:35

Reminds me of the non-chocolate made by Palmer. It makes me sad when that's all that's in the office candy dish. =P

JOHN!

Comment by MediaDuke (not verified) Wed, 01/12/2011 - 15:52

I would like to meet John one day. He seems like a bad enough dude to rescue the president.

i really wish i could meet

Comment by marla-chan (not verified) Wed, 01/12/2011 - 19:27

i really wish i could meet this buddy john of yours. he seems to be a fountain of comedic material.

The ceiling fans and all the

Comment by sugrrr (not verified) Wed, 01/12/2011 - 23:18

The ceiling fans and all the light fixtures at the Starbucks I work at are sparkling clean. Jus' sayin'... :D

Ceiling Fans at Starbucks..?

Comment by Chris (not verified) Mon, 01/24/2011 - 07:38

We are the Hunter Ceiling Fan Dealers for the Middle East and we are trying to get our Hunter Ceiling Fans into the Starbucks locations here to help reduce their A/C energy consumption. Would you please let me know what location(s) Starbucks has ceiling fans at? Thanks in advance. Chris ( chris.rines@theceilingfancompany.com )

Really people?

Comment by Ender (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 00:37

Jack is quite obviously the best romantic choice for Shepard. She's awesome, and saved my butt on several occasions as an infiltrator. Hers is the character that goes through the biggest transformation in the whole series thus far.
You have not played ME:2 until you have seen Jack cry.

Tali! EEEEE! :D

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 01:06

Tali! EEEEE! :D

wait ... I thought Ananth

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 02:13

wait ... I thought Ananth didn't like coffee?

However I agree Merci chocolate is nice - shame they don't have the full selection here in the north of the UK I've only tried the milk chocolate and the cream truffle ones. Definetly prefer the cream truffle :D

In a perfect world, there

Comment by Stegford (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 02:43

In a perfect world, there would be a John-ism a day calendar.

Oh, those are the chocolates

Comment by Rebecca (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 03:16

Oh, those are the chocolates that are in a stick style and are individually wrapped.

They're really good. My dad's a truck driver and delivers up to a place that sells them. He brought a box home. So nummy. :D

Vinyl Toys?

Comment by Tobin (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 08:33

A Puppy vinyl toy perhaps? I can't wait to see you guys unveil what's next! :)

New menu item

Comment by Aperture (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 11:49

I can just see it: Try it now! "Vintage coffee"

Hmm...

Comment by Allison (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 12:17

Why is it I can't tell is this is a good thing or a bad thing?

Conrad

Comment by Lindsay (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 12:18

I miss hearing about Conrad! What ever happened to him?

He knows what they taste

Comment by Telruya (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 14:02

He knows what they taste like Because he licks those fans in protest to starbucks unfair discrimination towards members of Mus musculus.

or Mice as their also known.

Looking forward to visit

Comment by double cut saw (not verified) Fri, 10/21/2011 - 01:57

Looking forward to visit this event. I'm sure it will be great fun. Though I must confess that I hear those names for the first time.

re

Comment by vacation booking (not verified) Tue, 01/03/2012 - 12:23

It's a good article. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed to read and will return for more.

good tips

Comment by holiday booking (not verified) Mon, 03/26/2012 - 02:38

Questo è molto interessante. Grazie, ho bookmarked e tornerà presto per una lettura più.

very interesting

Comment by learn more (not verified) Wed, 12/05/2012 - 15:08

this was sucha good read, the content is very well written and interesting.

cool comments

Comment by read more (not verified) Wed, 12/05/2012 - 15:10

This post is full of comments, and that is a good thing to have in your blog. Good job.