BATTLECATS

BATTLECATS

Thu, 01/13/2011 - 17:24 by Ananth in response to when rook met mika

Rook came with us to visit Yuko's parents at the end of 2010. They also have two cats - Mika and Gonta - and this was the first time all three cats met in an event I like to call the CROSSOVER!! I've got a few scripts about the CROSSOVER!! lying around and I'm sure they'll crop up every once in a while over the next few weeks or months. This one's about Mika and Rook and how well they got along. Like two peas in a pod! If one pea was very, very angry.

Hey! Here are the vinyl toys I mentioned last time! Yuko designed these for Patchtogether's Floxy collection. Hers is a Futakuchi-Oni, which is a creature based on the Futakuchi-onna and the Oni. Pretty rad! Take a look below,

Supplies are EXTREMELY limited! We'll sign each box. Grab 'em while you can!

I think that's all for today! Lotta work to do. Have a great weekend, we'll see you next week!

Comments

Wow - poor Rook. I have to

Comment by Koarth (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 17:26

Wow - poor Rook.

I have to say though, my Golden Retriever is almost exactly like Mika on many occasions. Only to other Golden's though, oddly (and thankfully?)

GAH

Comment by James (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 17:31

I am such a sucker for anything you make >.< particularly something so adorable as that little vinyl! *has already bought*

Comment by Natalia (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 18:45

...Me too.. I'm afraid if Yuko ever goes to ECCC I'll just start throwing money at her.

Pretty much the exact same

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 17:33

Pretty much the exact same thing when we introduced our cat to my cousin's kitten. He ended up hiding under the bed with our cat until he hoped they were friends, but he fell asleep before that could happen :)

D: Th-that face! Poor Rook.

Comment by Braxton (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 17:44

D: Th-that face! Poor Rook. XD

Also, super cute vinyl toy~ *wantwantwant*

Aww

Comment by Leah Anne (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 17:50

Aww poor Rook. My kitten did that when I introduced him to my dogs and they looked just like that, hahah.

Aww~!

Comment by Android 21 3/7 (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 17:57

Poor Rook! It's why I never take my super-antisocial cat with me when I visit my sister's place. She'd tear my sister's new kitten to shreds.

AWWWW

Comment by Origamigryphon (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 18:25

Saddest Rook EVER. ;____;

=S

Comment by Razor (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 18:26

Aww, I can almost hear Rook wibbling.

Sad Rook

Comment by David Herbert (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 18:30

Am I evil for loving that sad Rook face?

So Much Friendship!

Comment by sugarapplesweet (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 18:31

Oh, man... when I recently took my cat over to my fiancé's, I was worried that his two cats might bully her. Made sense to me since his room was pretty much their room, but guess my surprise when SHE was the one growling at THEM.

I think she stayed hidden under blanket the whole time just growling at them...

i dont usually comment on

Comment by kellycookie (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 18:40

i dont usually comment on the strips, as much as i love them, but i had to comment on this one. i read it and smiled super huge and made a really weird snorting noise, and that made my professor stop rambling for a brief moment. ahahahaha so cute!

!

Comment by Joe D. (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 18:41

The look of abject terror on poor Rook's face... so well done. Bravo, Yuko.

!!

Comment by Krimson (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 18:47

Mika looks ABSOLUTELY FRIGHTENING, and also looks like she came right out of Miss Monster Mel's pen!

Holy Damn!

Comment by Rick (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 19:01

It's like Mika is my cat Delilah and Rook is my new dog Gracie.

How does Gonta like Rook?

Gonta

Comment by Doval (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 22:08

Given previous strips, I would guess Gonta is scared of being within Rook's general vicinity or line of sight.

ohmygod ah ha ha ha ha

Comment by robocotte (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 19:09

ahhh the juxtaposition of the two middle panels is amazing and has me cracking up ahhh ha ha ha. Mika is so well-drawn and scary and Rook is just a puddle awww. Rook in the last panel, you are my spirit animal in stressful situations.

Awww...poor Rook!

Comment by Mira (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 19:18

Poor Kitty! I hope Rook had a place to hide from Mika-the-mad-head.

Joys of cats...

Comment by Em (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 21:24

Rook's expression in the last panel is exactly what our kitty Gonzo looks like when our mom fusses at him. "GODWHATHAVEIDONEI'MSORRYPLEASEDON'TKILLME"

Poor Rook :( That expression

Comment by Toz (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 21:25

Poor Rook :( That expression reminds me of my dog when someone doesn't like him.

He thinks everyone should like him...and when they don't it makes him so sad. XD

Pod

Comment by Stefan (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 21:26

Angry Peas is my new band name.

iPod? (okay that was bad)

Comment by Sven (not verified) Fri, 01/14/2011 - 00:16

I would go and listen to your stuff, just because of the name.

OHHHHH~!!!! Poor Rook. Omg

Comment by C. Ellis (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 22:06

OHHHHH~!!!! Poor Rook. Omg omg omg. Having three of my own, I have a huge soft spot for black cats (or brown ones dark enough to be black :P).....this comic made me so happy and so 'awwwwwe' at the same time. ^__^;;

Wonderful work as always~! <3 Amazing expressions.

Cats!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 22:07

I'll never quite understand why some cats disagree with eachother. Here at home, our (7 year old) cat haaaaates a new kitten that was brought in. She got along fine with our previous cats, but new cats... not so much, it seems.

I'm interested to hear about Rook's interactions with Gonta.

Cats are territorial by

Comment by Reynard (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 22:56

Cats are territorial by nature. They will sometimes accept other cats on their territory if they don't feel threatened, but it can often take weeks for this to happen. Also, female cats can see males as a threat and/or competition (especially if kittens are or have recently been in the picture) and will sometimes try to dominate the male on first encounter. (Note: This is mainly from my own observations. YMMV.)

Even a similar situation

Comment by J (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 23:10

When I brought my cat home. She was basically in Rook's position, but then again we knew they wouldn't get along right away. Eventually they got along quite well, then my mom got another cat. . . well there's still a lot of hissing and spitting and swiping.

Rook!

Comment by Calica (not verified) Thu, 01/13/2011 - 23:39

Oh my gosh. The final image of Rook may be my favorite of him yet.

Rook!

Comment by N.A.O (not verified) Fri, 01/14/2011 - 00:51

Poor Rook! Hell hath no fury like a pissy cat! Did Mika ever warm up to that adorable garbage disposal? ;_;

Aw, puddle eyes!

Comment by Dr. Kindness (not verified) Fri, 01/14/2011 - 02:56

Ohmigosh! Sad Rook is the saddest!

Rook! That poor thing :( I

Comment by SDVII (not verified) Fri, 01/14/2011 - 03:57

Rook! That poor thing :(
I guess it is a territory thing.

Jeff Smith reference ho!

Comment by Bobryuu (not verified) Fri, 01/14/2011 - 07:27

Rook, or rather the way that Yuko draws him, reminds me of a rat creatures. Those stupid, stupid rat creatures.

sadface cat is very sad.

Comment by Zeta Ray (not verified) Fri, 01/14/2011 - 10:51

Oh my god, poor Rook! My cats Cody and Gracie are the same way...only they've been living together for five years.

kittiessss

Comment by Cheri (not verified) Fri, 01/14/2011 - 11:46

In November we brought home another kitty from the shelter I volunteer at. He's so sweet, and used to being able to play with other kitties all the time. When we brought him home and introduced him to our 2 girls the exact thing happened.
He was so happy to see new kitties to play with, but they were very very offended that they were being forced to share their living space with them.

Aww

Comment by Magnetic Crow (not verified) Fri, 01/14/2011 - 12:35

That's what our house is like right now... My roomie's cat got sick and had to spend a few days at the vet. Ever since he's been home, my cat's been hissing and growling in terror at his presence... even though they've lived together happily for the past 10 months.

I'm excited to see the rest of the comics on this subject. Yuko's so good at cat expressions and body language-- adorable. :3

Aww! What a sin. Poor Rook.

Comment by Kayla (not verified) Fri, 01/14/2011 - 13:57

Aww! What a sin. Poor Rook. :(
I have a cat that hisses just like that, though. She growls too.

Hi there! Found Johnny

Comment by Marta (not verified) Fri, 01/14/2011 - 15:10

Hi there! Found Johnny Wander quite recently, and I adore it! I just caught up now, though I was putting it off because I enjoyed it so much I needed to know I had a load to get through (this makes more sense in my head) and now I've gotten ahead of myself hehe.
Anyway, awesome work, really is :D

Poor Rook

Comment by Ome (not verified) Fri, 01/14/2011 - 15:23

He needs a hug. Poor thing...

Team Rook

Comment by MrGregor (not verified) Fri, 01/14/2011 - 22:38

Team ROOK all the way! Team Mika will drown in our tears.

D'aww

Comment by SadSilver (not verified) Sat, 01/15/2011 - 01:37

That is so saaad! Similar things happened when my cat's interacted with my grandma's cat...

Though this made me extra sad, my cat's getting radiation this month and I can't see her while she's radioactive for like five days. D: And now that last panel has given me a sad face for her loneliness. D:

Poor adorable Rook!

T____T Poor Rook!! Having

Comment by Tsu (not verified) Sat, 01/15/2011 - 02:51

T____T Poor Rook!! Having had multiple cats like so many here, I too understand the craziness of cat interaction.... But that FACE, uggh, the poor baby XD Yuko, how did you capture such a pitiful face?? Poor thing!

Yeeeah... that's kind of how

Comment by Mary Sue (not verified) Sat, 01/15/2011 - 12:17

Yeeeah... that's kind of how cats are. That's how my current cat is reacting to her "new best friend". Though, she now only hisses 90% of the time they pass each other rather than a full 100. (Progress!)

Poor Rook. I hope things went better, or at least they managed to forge an uneasy cease fire.

Awww, poor Rook

Comment by CasualOtaku (not verified) Sun, 01/16/2011 - 21:58

I feel so bad for Rook in this one. That last panel makes you want to just cuddle the poor thing.

Especially since he looked so happy and hopeful to start. But I guess it's clear that Mika is picky about other cats in her domain. Hopefully things went better with Gonta.

We have 5 cats. A new one

Comment by Angela (not verified) Mon, 01/17/2011 - 03:41

We have 5 cats. A new one every year and a half it seems, and a fresh new hell everytime we have to introduce it to the others.
@_@

D8

Comment by Odiku (not verified) Tue, 01/18/2011 - 14:47

D8 That is terrifying.

And poor rook, is watery eyes...xD

Whyyy?