Is it real?

Is it real?

Tue, 01/25/2011 - 17:38 by Ananth in response to a secret for the ages

What does it mean? Gotta be honest - at first I thought, in the way that sponsors get stadiums named after them, that there was maybe a town sponsored by Dairy Queen that they named after their new offering, the Cheesequake. Not the case, at all. Cheesequake, NJ is a real place! Maybe some of you are from there. The part we drove through was lovely. It didn't live up to the wonder of its name, but maybe that's okay. I don't know if anything could.

We'll be at Kitsunekon in Appleton, WI from February 25th-27th! We don't usually make it out to that neck of the woods, so hopefully we'll be meeting a bunch of new faces. Come say hi! We'll bring books and more.

I talked last week about Yuko's body type lineup - we got a lot of folks asking after Death, so Yuko went ahead and did it:

Pretty cute!

See you Thursday!

Comments

How cool would it be to live

Comment by R (not verified) Tue, 01/25/2011 - 17:43

How cool would it be to live in Cheesequake *-*

By the way, has Callie Eats Feathers permanently disappered from the interwebs? I wanted to read it again, but couldn't find it anymore :|

Go to

Comment by Manders (not verified) Wed, 01/26/2011 - 21:46

Go to http://www.myspace.com/darkhorsepresents, it's in issue 31 :)

Interesting.

Comment by NTG (not verified) Wed, 01/26/2011 - 14:25

The name Cheesequake was derived from the Lenape Native American word Cheseh-oh-ke, meaning "upland"or "upland village"

The magic... it is gone for me.

Odd

Comment by Dante (not verified) Tue, 01/25/2011 - 18:09

I've had this exact conversation when I first drove by it -- it the best name ever!

I have the most dreading

Comment by Samm Neilanand (not verified) Tue, 01/25/2011 - 18:15

I have the most dreading feeling that someday, Taco Bell is going to create a menu item called "The Cheesequake"

glurgh

Comment by Razor (not verified) Tue, 01/25/2011 - 18:38

I too dread that day. Either Taco Bell (whose taco meat is only 36% beef, did you know?) or Carl's Jr (Hardees)--"The five-dollar Cheesequake burger" featuring supermodels bathing in a bathtub full of cheez whiz.

Yuko and Ananth should patent the name and make $$$$.

Ha!

Comment by Emily (not verified) Tue, 01/25/2011 - 18:17

I'm surprised you hadn't seen it before! It's one of Stefan's favorite places to giggle about as we drive past on the highway. And yes, we have had many conversations exactly like this one.

Quakey Cheese

Comment by Crysta (not verified) Tue, 01/25/2011 - 18:26

Sigh. Worst name ever. I drive by it almost every day, and really, who wants cheese that "quakes"?

In California...

Comment by C.D. Reimer (not verified) Tue, 01/25/2011 - 18:27

It's Cheese, Earthquakes and Fine Wine. :)

"Let's not tell anyone about

Comment by Ellie (not verified) Tue, 01/25/2011 - 18:29

"Let's not tell anyone about this conversation" = "Let's tell the entire interwebs"

I love you guys.

Nobody will know but their

Comment by Joe (not verified) Wed, 01/26/2011 - 07:29

Nobody will know but their closest 6.5 billion friends.

Maybe earthquakes turn the place into cheese?

Comment by David Herbert (not verified) Tue, 01/25/2011 - 18:42

I kind of want some cheesecake or something now. And I don't even like the stuff.

Cheesequake!

Comment by MaryBeth (not verified) Tue, 01/25/2011 - 19:43

I work in Sayreville, NJ and pass the Cheesequake rest stop 5 times a week! :D I've always found it to be an amusing name!

New from Dairy Queen: Cheesequake Blizzard

Comment by AryCapricat (not verified) Tue, 01/25/2011 - 20:21

Can't wait to meet you guys in Appleton. I've got a table in the artist alley.

I LIVE NEAR THERE!!!! For

Comment by Shellzor (not verified) Tue, 01/25/2011 - 20:25

I LIVE NEAR THERE!!!!

For some reason this makes me really excited.

No way! I grew up near

Comment by Alex (not verified) Tue, 01/25/2011 - 20:40

No way! I grew up near there, any school field trips would always stop at the cheesequake rest stop on the way home. So weird seeing this on here...

I feel the same way

Comment by Tony (not verified) Wed, 01/26/2011 - 01:59

I grew up in Ocean, NJ [Exit 105], and it's rather odd seeing this on here. My high school used to use the rest stop as a staging area when we would do statewide competitions.

Glad you guys got a kick out of it. Only in Jersey.

Exit 98 dude. I know what

Comment by Tyler (not verified) Wed, 01/26/2011 - 14:20

Exit 98 dude. I know what you guys mean. It was my favorite rest stop cause it had like the BEST burger king ever when I was a kid.

Hm, cheeze and quakers...

Comment by psychogaze (not verified) Tue, 01/25/2011 - 21:01

A delectably rustic new snackfood for cannibals? Or Ben and Jerry's when they're grabbing from the bottom of the barrel?

Woah! Death pecs! Is Death

Comment by Garfunkel (not verified) Tue, 01/25/2011 - 21:20

Woah! Death pecs!

Is Death not allowed to walk barefoot on the beach, for fear that he'd kill something?

I love funny place names

Comment by Purple (not verified) Tue, 01/25/2011 - 21:24

This reminds me of when I was on a road trip once. I think we were driving through PA, and there was a place called Buttzville. I took a picture.

Lol, Buttzville is another

Comment by BestPolicy (not verified) Tue, 01/25/2011 - 22:31

Lol, Buttzville is another NJ one. It's not too far from where I am. I see the sign everytime I'm on Rt 46. NJ apparently likes to come up with...unique...names.

Oh, Cheesequake.

Comment by pjunk (not verified) Tue, 01/25/2011 - 21:26

Considering I've lived in NJ all my life, I've heard of Cheesequake a few times. Every time, I can't help but wonder why they would ever name a place such a thing, assuming it isn't a magical wonderland of cheese and earthquakes. However, I refuse to look up the origin of the name. I don't want to ruin the magic.

...it's just like the town

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 01/26/2011 - 00:20

...it's just like the town called "Jersey Shore" about 200 miles into Pennsylvania. I'm pretty sure it's nowhere near to an actual beach..

Holy shit

Comment by ??? (not verified) Tue, 01/25/2011 - 21:46

I was talking with my friend today about stuff while walking through the Mission District (a better place than Brooklyn will ever be), and I'm 99% certain he mentioned Cheesequake for some reason (note that he's from Basking Ridge, so he would know of the place).

And now I see this.

Whoa.

I had the same thought when

Comment by Lotsa (not verified) Tue, 01/25/2011 - 22:00

I had the same thought when I first passed that sign! I was thinking in terms of cheesecake and earthquakes, though.

I now feel pretty cool.

I love the serious

Comment by Alebak (not verified) Tue, 01/25/2011 - 22:07

I love the serious expression in panel three.

Even as she speaks the words, Yuko knows what terrible pun crime she has commited.

Cheesequake in (can't really call it popular) song

Comment by Affenschmidt (not verified) Tue, 01/25/2011 - 22:38

Cheesequake gets a mention in Dave Van Ronk's "Garden State Stomp" (a song consisting entirely of New Jersey place names).

I have had nearly this exact

Comment by Elyse (not verified) Tue, 01/25/2011 - 23:23

I have had nearly this exact conversation every time I drive past this rest stop. Also, I always want to stop there and get some actual cheesecake...because I feel that they should be synonymous.

Other amazing NJ place names: Little Egg Harbor, the aforementioned Buttzville, Loveladies, and SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

D'awwwwh

Comment by GeniiBean (not verified) Tue, 01/25/2011 - 23:29

I love the figure of Death and how uncomfortable he looks. Especially since Cecilia looks so at ease besides him. <3

YUKO HAS MAGIC GLASSES THAT

Comment by Ares (not verified) Wed, 01/26/2011 - 00:01

YUKO HAS MAGIC GLASSES THAT DONT HAVE ARMS!!!!

I want those

City names

Comment by Brian (not verified) Wed, 01/26/2011 - 01:12

While driving north from North Carolina to Connecticut, I noticed the coolest place name.
Spotsylvania!

...Coincidentally, I

Comment by Allen (not verified) Wed, 01/26/2011 - 03:03

...Coincidentally, I actually live in Spotsylvania.

does Death have a belly

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 01/26/2011 - 03:20

does Death have a belly button?

Yes he does. Look very

Comment by Shiny (not verified) Wed, 01/26/2011 - 07:29

Yes he does. Look very closely and you can see it. Because Death is Black it's not that ovbious

well, aaaactuallyyyy

Comment by Aido Wed, 01/26/2011 - 11:21

He doesn't.  There's a little shadow where abdominal muscles might be, but he doesn't have an actual bellybutton.  Or dude-nipples.

One day, you guys might find out whyyyy....

Ooo, ooo, lemme guess!

Comment by Matt (not verified) Wed, 01/26/2011 - 13:48

It's 'cause he wasn't born, right? Forces of the universe probably don't have umbilical cords.

derivation of cheesequake :D

Comment by xxcapriciousme (not verified) Wed, 01/26/2011 - 03:58

very cute :) just thought it

Comment by Ruby (not verified) Wed, 01/26/2011 - 04:07

very cute :) just thought it might be interesting to note that the playable Grim Reaper from Sims 3 looks exactly like that, with the totally color absent skin

cheesequake

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 01/26/2011 - 05:21

i have lived at the jersey shore for many years and as a kid whenever we passed that sign i would think the same thing. Although there are mornings when i pass that sign, i still think about cheesecake.

Haha. I live off of route 35

Comment by Ethan (not verified) Wed, 01/26/2011 - 13:10

Haha. I live off of route 35 and pass signs that say Cheesequake every day and yes, I too still think "cheesecake?". I really want to know who the hell named that town. Lol.

Comment by SDVII (not verified) Wed, 01/26/2011 - 08:00

LOL.Thanks for the comic :D

Cheesequake

Comment by Chuck (not verified) Wed, 01/26/2011 - 10:30

If I ever start a cheesecake restaurant, I would call it the Cheesequake. "The cheesecake that will rock your world!"

NJ

Comment by Craig (not verified) Wed, 01/26/2011 - 10:40

I've lived in South Jersey all my life, so I've never heard of cheesequake. I ran out to the living room to tell my roommate all excited, and he just said, "yeah I had to go there recently for a class." (he studies trees and stuff)

What a let down. He still agreed that we should do a cheese-themed cookout there.

Also...

Comment by Craig (not verified) Wed, 01/26/2011 - 10:42

Intercourse, Pennsylvania wins best place name. It is an Amish town where they make fantastic pretzels and have Amish restaurants.

Appleton? buhhhh

Comment by Ezra (not verified) Wed, 01/26/2011 - 11:14

Are you guys going to be driving through Southern Wisconsin at all on your way to Appleton? Say, through the Madison area? I know a couple of people (including me, heh) that can't get up there but would love to meet you.

Unfortunately we're flying

Comment by Ananth Wed, 01/26/2011 - 15:21

Unfortunately we're flying out! Sorryyyy

The name was changed.

Comment by Smithengarde (not verified) Wed, 01/26/2011 - 12:59

Lived in NJ most of my life and I remember asking about this place a while back. Cheesequake used to be called something else in the native american dialect ages ago, which of course the settlers couldn't pronounce so instead of actually trying to, they renamed the area 'Cheesequake' because it sounded close enough.

a huge cheese came falling down from the sky

Comment by Alain (not verified) Wed, 01/26/2011 - 13:22

Remember the castle in the sky, the one that you could reach by climbing in the branches of the potato plant that had kept growing and growing? Remember the giant up there? Well, one day the giant dropped a city-block sized wheel of cheese and it fell in that part of NJ. Force 10 on the camembert scale.