something something dysentery

something something dysentery

Tue, 02/01/2011 - 16:52 by Ananth in response to should've taken the ferry

Following John can sometimes end like this! There was another time he took a snow pile in a single stride and I tried to climb it and almost face-planted. Dangerous living!

We have a small announcement tomorrow - well, it's not technically ours but we're involved and anyway you'll see. You can check Twitter or Tumblr - we'll also post a follow-up on Thursday.

Oh! Orders have been sent out - you should have received some sort of tracking information. We got a little held up with all of this January snow!

February begins our hell month! Here's a (blurry) look at our schedule below:

Whew, that's a lot! Bear with us as we work ourselves into oblivion.

That's all for now! Catch ya Thursday.

Comments

Everyone always was the banker or the doctor

Comment by Bell (not verified) Tue, 02/01/2011 - 16:56

Best. Game. Ever.

ugh february.

Comment by robocotte (not verified) Tue, 02/01/2011 - 17:48

ohmygod I completely wish "leap" were an option in that game. Or "hop skip" or whatever, in John's case.

You tried to hop-skip the Missouri River.

Comment by JET73L (not verified) Thu, 09/15/2011 - 02:09

The river is too wide to hop-skip. You lose:
6 wagon wheels
John (Poison)
Ananth (Dysentery)
Rook (Boredom)
Wolf (Drowned)

Here Lies Robocotte
I should have forded.

Personally, my choice varies by river. If it's relatively narrow/shallow, I ford it. If it's wide, I caulk the wagon. If it's the last river in the game, I give up all hope of surviving.

P.S.: I have decided that Ananth is too tall to drown. Perhaps if Jeph Jacques had been around to combine them, Yuki would have been spared.

option 4: build a bridge (-time, -$$$)

Comment by Bev (not verified) Tue, 02/01/2011 - 18:09

What's fun is being a better animated buffalo hunter than your American History teacher. :)

Thank you, Johnny Wander team, for making life post-school seem less intimidating.

Alternate text for this

Comment by Rosemary (not verified) Tue, 02/01/2011 - 18:16

Alternate text for this comic could have been John yelling "ARTAX! FIGHT AGAINST THE SADNESS ARTAX!"

nooooo my oxen

Comment by Gale (not verified) Tue, 02/01/2011 - 18:39

The worst puddles are the ones that look just fine, but are secretly knee-deep. D:

Na-na-na-na-nanaaaa!

Comment by Krimson (not verified) Tue, 02/01/2011 - 18:55

Ananth, you don't have to blurr-ify your schedule. The Internet already knows you and Yuko are crimefighters. It's okay.

oh nooooo

Comment by Ananth Tue, 02/01/2011 - 19:18

oh nooooo

What wonderful timing!

Comment by Kasek (not verified) Tue, 02/01/2011 - 21:10

Funny, I just beat the ipod version of that yesterday. Also funny, it comes out for Facebook tomorrow.

!

Comment by Joe D. (not verified) Tue, 02/01/2011 - 21:34

How many wagon tongues did you lose?!

your party member (almost) died of dysentery

Comment by wingdance (not verified) Tue, 02/01/2011 - 22:03

My best friend joined the Peace Corps and went overseas, where she promptly contracted dysentery, nearly died, and came back to the US. Whenever it comes up, everyone always makes Oregon Trail jokes.

this is adorable

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 02/01/2011 - 23:00

this is adorable

I say this quite often / you kids get off my lawn

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 02/01/2011 - 23:19

I often make this same joke when crossing any large puddle, overflowing gutter, swampy mud pit, etc. Friends of my age always get it. Then I said something similar in the presence of my girlfriend. Even though she's only two years younger than I am, she didn't get the joke, since apparently she never played it in school. And then I had to explain it, and then I realized that she had ALSO missed out on my "so-and-so has died of dysentery" joke several months before.

I gave her my worst >:| face. Kids these days.

What did you do, take notes

Comment by Aube (not verified) Tue, 02/01/2011 - 23:20

What did you do, take notes from a Mangaka for your work schedule? crazy.
Love the Oregon Trail reference, Middle school would have been way less exciting if it wasn't for that game.

Hahaha, and by "taking the

Comment by Alison (not verified) Tue, 02/01/2011 - 23:23

Hahaha, and by "taking the ferry" I assume you mean "Let him carry you over his shoulder." :P I love this comic.

Mmm...

Comment by Red (not verified) Tue, 02/01/2011 - 23:44

Mmm... Tall men... Mmmmmmm......

That's the first time I ever

Comment by Ary (not verified) Wed, 02/02/2011 - 00:16

That's the first time I ever heard someone make an Oregon Trail reference while crossing a puddle.

Oh noes!

Comment by Mistress Pyro (not verified) Wed, 02/02/2011 - 00:17

Nooooo! You never cross the river! I would rather die from the plague or hunger! D: oh wellington. . . this is why you become a carpenter. Carpenter Yuko! DO IT!

I might be able to jump that

Comment by CameoAppearance (not verified) Wed, 02/02/2011 - 01:06

I might be able to jump that but it would require the use of PARKOUR SKILLZ rather than just hopping over it casually. And I probably wouldn't bother to do that either if I had rubber boots on. Getting water in your boots is the worst.

Comment by Heartnet (not verified) Fri, 02/04/2011 - 11:55

You are not the only one, my friend~

Also: I usually caulked the

Comment by CameoAppearance (not verified) Wed, 02/02/2011 - 01:11

Also: I usually caulked the wagon. No one ever seems to mention that option; it's pretty safe apart from the occasional case of tipped over wagonboat. I never did understand how they got the oxen across that way, though. Did they stuff them into the wagon with the party?

I always suspected they used

Comment by Gene (not verified) Mon, 02/07/2011 - 01:24

I always suspected they used the bridge.

Yay, someone made a

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 02/02/2011 - 01:15

Yay, someone made a reference to Oregon Trail! Thought I was still the only one who knew that game...
Yuko, you have my sympathies. I'm short too, and that happens on a near every day basis (be it mud, rain, snow, bodies...)

:V

Comment by Metacrs (not verified) Wed, 02/02/2011 - 08:00

Shouldn't floppy-dog-ear-thing-furry-hat also be a tag?

Stilt-legged

Comment by Drezz (not verified) Wed, 02/02/2011 - 09:36

John seems like the kind of guy who takes the most direct path for everything - it's easy when you can just vault over things with those stilts for legs.

Trufax

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 02/02/2011 - 13:28

I was trapped in the raging Nashville floods last year (or, well, actually I was in a neighboring city that was equally underwater--we went out for lunch and an hour later the clear road we'd taken was up to the car windows) and as we carefully navigated the high road, trying to find parts without water over them, there were many nervous caulking the wagon jokes.

Old 80's kid is old

Comment by Razor (not verified) Wed, 02/02/2011 - 14:03

Eeeee, I remember playing this game in the 5th grade on an Apple IIe. THAT WAS BEFORE MOST OF YOU WERE BORN D=

That being said, I thought it was pretty cool...except if you didn't manage the supplies well. That was bad.

Who also played 'Lemonade Stand' on the same system? =D Or fiddled around with LOGO? #didImentionI'mold

Well then.

Comment by Kilimbo (not verified) Wed, 02/02/2011 - 15:22

Now I know what game I should look up next ._.;;
I like rpg games like this :D

You're not missing out!

Comment by Ananth Wed, 02/02/2011 - 16:19

You're not missing out!

I know but.. I like games

Comment by Kilimbo (not verified) Thu, 02/03/2011 - 03:44

I know but..

I like games like this ಠ_ಠ

John is my favorite.

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 02/02/2011 - 15:57

John is my favorite.

I just downloaded Oregon

Comment by Katsu (not verified) Wed, 02/02/2011 - 17:37

I just downloaded Oregon Trail for my HTC EVO. :D Now I can play it at work and pretend no one notices....

Oregon Trail!

Comment by Emily (not verified) Wed, 02/02/2011 - 18:53

I used to love that game! I always took the ferry, since I was too scared to ford the river. xD

Here Lies Yuko, Peperony,

Comment by Samm Neiland (not verified) Wed, 02/02/2011 - 22:44

Here Lies Yuko, Peperony, and Chease.

Awww

Comment by Demarion (not verified) Thu, 02/03/2011 - 10:57

I read this when I also read the game is out for Facebook.
I never did play Oregon Trail... (I don't think it's time to start)

Also this comic is now on my tumblr feed. Indefinitely. :3

School is for Video Games

Comment by FellaDudeMan (not verified) Thu, 02/03/2011 - 11:41

I remember we always wanted to have some computer time back in elementary school so we could play this. Once, I named all of the people in the wagon after Street Fighter characters. Sadly, everybody died, but Chun li had to survive most of the journey by herself.

We had the same set up Razor was talking about up there, with Lemonade Stand, and Number Muncher later on. By middle school though, it was all about Dinopark Tycoon Yeah buddy!