Scrivener

Scrivener

Thu, 03/03/2011 - 17:31 by Ananth in response to tick tick tick tick

That might be the longest I've ever been able to stay deadpan, my face hurt afterwards. Worth it!

Here's an old script I worked on that Yuko is illustrating now:

(Posted previously over at Tumblr.) The final book will be roughly 200 pages. It'll be a while before we can show you the fruits of our labors, but we'll give you little peeks as we go. I'm currently working on another script and I'm about 50 pages in.

The software that I use is Scrivener - there's a Windows version here. It's not for everyone, but for me it was revelation - I used to have trouble organized. Scrivener provides structure to the often haphazard task of writing. I recommend going through the tutorials so you can have a full grasp of the features, if you are interested.

In the meantime, I've been giving some thought to putting together an "Ask John" advice column for JW Vol. 2. You guys could submit your (non JW related) questions and John would answer them and I'd lay it out for the second book. Treat it as a regular old newspaper or magazine advice column. Let John help you with your relationship, etc. Any interest there? I have a good feeling about it.

That's all for us! See you next week!

Comments

Jokes

Comment by Worst (not verified) Thu, 03/03/2011 - 17:39

Racism turned on its head? Oh that poor poor clerk

So... you didn't get

Comment by Oiron (not verified) Thu, 03/03/2011 - 17:53

So... you didn't get arrested? Lucky you got someone who didn't call you out, man.

Dear John, I have had this

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 03/03/2011 - 18:11

Dear John,

I have had this rash, you see, right on my left pinky toe, and I can't seem to figure out what it is. Do you know?

Sincerely,
Pinky on the Brain

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 03/03/2011 - 18:15

I think the Dear John advice column is genius. He would so give the best advice!

Dear John

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 03/03/2011 - 18:31

Dear John

My romantic life is, to my disappointment, fairly empty. I can talk to girls, but whenever I do, we become "just friends". I don't know how to do this whole flirting thing! What do I do? Any advice would be appreciated.

In All Sincerity
Ladyless Lou

Trufax

Comment by Jingseng (not verified) Thu, 03/03/2011 - 18:32

bartleby the scrivener was based on a cat

I vote yes. Sounds

Comment by Kist (not verified) Thu, 03/03/2011 - 18:33

I vote yes. Sounds entertaining to read, even if I don't have anything to submit.

sounds great

Comment by Fish (not verified) Thu, 03/03/2011 - 18:58

The dear John section is a good idea, I can't wait to see the answers he gives.

also great joke you pulled, the guy's face is hilarious.

That's nothing...

Comment by C.D. Reimer (not verified) Thu, 03/03/2011 - 19:16

I used to have a long beard without the mustache that made me look like an Amish dude. Friends and strangers used to come up to me to ask if I was a terrorist. I told them the truth: "If I'm a terrorist, you'll be the first one to know."

More than a few people went running off screaming.

I support this Dear John plan. SO MUCH.

Comment by Becky (not verified) Thu, 03/03/2011 - 19:32

Dear John,

Have you always been tall? Even as a young!John?

Hard interest in an Ask John

Comment by Cheri (not verified) Thu, 03/03/2011 - 19:32

Hard interest in an Ask John column.

Such.
Hard.
Interest.

Ohhh, I can't wait to see

Comment by C. Ellis (not verified) Thu, 03/03/2011 - 19:38

Ohhh, I can't wait to see what questions and answers will end up in the book. :D
In any case, thanks for letting us know (I had NO clue) that Scrivener was coming to windows, too. :) Until I have the cash to switch to Mac, I'm stuck, but I really liked the program so...

Ah, anyhow, as always. Johnny Wander is so much love. Please keep it up guys~!! <3

Also also, mucho good luck with your book project~!!! :)

Talking with your mouth shut is impressive, too.

Comment by Joe D. (not verified) Thu, 03/03/2011 - 19:39

Did Yuko get a lovely dress while the salesman was sweating?

Yes! We even got a discount!

Comment by Ananth Fri, 03/04/2011 - 13:15

Yes! We even got a discount! (kidding)

I always get instructional

Comment by abser888 (not verified) Thu, 09/01/2011 - 16:16

I always get instructional post here in this site.These help me a lot. I have subscribed to this site for having informative posts like this.Thanks for taking the effort to make such an excellent article

Hair Extensions Adelaide

Eternally yes

Comment by Courtnouveau (not verified) Thu, 03/03/2011 - 19:44

My questions would mainly be 'marry me', but yes. That would probably prompt me to buy the second book. XD Also, is he behind the name of the comic? Was it inspired by Johnisms?

omigoshyeah

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 03/03/2011 - 19:49

I would definitely recommend an Ask John column thingermajinger. I would love to have John's brain and my questions do fisticuffs and see the results. Hilarity (or serious-ocity, depending on the question) would surely ensue.

(hey, I'm that girl again

Comment by lincolnator (not verified) Thu, 03/03/2011 - 19:52

(hey, I'm that girl again ^^^ I think I'll start putting in a name for myself)
Also, are we putting up the questions now? Or just giving you input?

Ummm! I think I'm going to

Comment by Ananth Fri, 03/04/2011 - 13:16

Ummm! I think I'm going to set up a formal Formspring or something, but people seem to be posting them here! Whatever works!

Why yes, I would love for

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 03/03/2011 - 20:01

Why yes, I would love for John to help me with my problems <3

ask john

Comment by ruschca (not verified) Thu, 03/03/2011 - 20:04

pleeeeease do an ask john column!

Scrivener for Windows

Comment by SgL (not verified) Thu, 03/03/2011 - 20:15

I tested the beta as part of Nanowrimo and I liked it well enough, but the conversion from Scrivener to other files (like rtf) left something to be desired, which was a problem for me when I wanted to compile text for online posting, personal ebook generation, stuff like that.

But it's still really good as a tool, and maybe when they have a few more months behind them I'll use them for my next novella.

I'm curious what kind of project this will be... I really enjoy the slice of life stuff you guys do but is this going to be modern-day or something really different?

Slice of life-ish? It's

Comment by Ananth Fri, 03/04/2011 - 13:18

Slice of life-ish? It's fiction and it's a full story, and it takes place in present day.

This Scrivener program is

Comment by William (not verified) Thu, 03/03/2011 - 20:19

This Scrivener program is really interesting. The layout it uses makes it look like an iTunes for writing.

An ask John part of the JW

Comment by Aube (not verified) Thu, 03/03/2011 - 20:36

An ask John part of the JW v2 book sounds like the best idea. The book you two are working on is it a personal project or a commission? I know with your work sometimes is can be difficult finding time for personal work, especially when you're brilliant and awesome.

It's a book for a publisher!

Comment by Ananth Fri, 03/04/2011 - 13:18

It's a book for a publisher! So it is in fact one of our very important deadlines.

Right on, well I can't wait

Comment by Aube (not verified) Sun, 03/06/2011 - 00:11

Right on, well I can't wait to see further tidbits and sneaks. Also Scrivener is amazing, I haven't had loads of time to really play with it due to School and of course Military but so far I'm in love with how easy I find it to organize things now.

Formspring

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 03/03/2011 - 21:37

Maybe you could get John a Formspring?

I think this might be a

Comment by Ananth Fri, 03/04/2011 - 13:19

I think this might be a great idea!

Please give John even more

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 03/03/2011 - 21:42

Please give John even more of a voice in that book.

I love quoting his John-isms and I would love his advice.

Dear John

Comment by whatahootowl (not verified) Thu, 03/03/2011 - 21:43

Dear John,

I have a boyfriend I hope to be engaged and then married to one day. It's been two years since we've started dating. No questions have been "popped." I'm pretty impatient.What do you suggest I do in the meantime?

/sigh yours truly,
whatahootowl

OMG

Comment by Elizabeth B (not verified) Thu, 03/03/2011 - 22:39

OMG ANANTH
THAT IS SO MEEEEEEAN OMG

(butit'sfunny)

Dear John, Next week I was

Comment by "Spaghetti Dinner" Steven (not verified) Thu, 03/03/2011 - 23:27

Dear John,

Next week I was thinking about taking my girl out for a spaghetti dinner, have the place and stuff all planned out, but I'm worried. Are spaghetti dinners too old-fashioned these days? How could I make it a success in times like these? Or any general advice for taking someone out for dinner?

Love your column, thanks for writing it.

Sincerely,
"Spaghetti Dinner" Steven.

"Ask John advice

Comment by Dawnya (not verified) Thu, 03/03/2011 - 23:28

"Ask John advice column"
that is the best idea ever oh my goodness
just
just let me catch my breath here

Hahaha! This seems to be

Comment by Ananth Fri, 03/04/2011 - 13:19

Hahaha! This seems to be going over well.

Dear John.

Comment by skabs (not verified) Thu, 03/03/2011 - 23:37

YES! ^_^

A total yes.

Comment by pandiculator (not verified) Thu, 03/03/2011 - 23:53

A 'dear John'-advice column would be awesome. It would be much, much better than a "Dear John"-letter column, where we write in faux break-up letters to John.

Or, would it?

No, no. Definitely no.

This is the best idea ever

Comment by archiValerie (not verified) Fri, 03/04/2011 - 00:13

Dear John,

Ok, this isn't really for me or anyone I know, but there was recently an advice column that was totally made of fail:

The tl;dr of it is a concerned father states that his 19-year-old daughter is dating a young man who doesn't drink or party and has a set plan for his life, but he tends to put her down a lot in front of other people (apparently the dude's father did this to the dude's mother). The advice columnist tells the worried parent that this guy is a keeper despite his "annoying habit" (of being potentially verbally/emotionally abusive) because it's not likely the daughter will find "another boy her age who has a coherent plan for the future (as opposed to 'I plan on winning "American Idol" and then replacing Jon Bon Jovi as lead singer of Bon Jovi.'"

So yeah. John, what would you tell this worried parent (and/or the columnist who somehow thinks that Bon Jovi is current pop music and that good dudes are hard to find so it's best to settle down for one even if he is potentially emotionally abusive)?

What's wrong with video games and dudes who dream? I'd personally rather date a creative "slacker" who was emotionally supportive than some financially-stable guy who was a complete asshole.

- archiValerie (part archivist, part arch-villain)

Deadpan Ananth is awesome.

Comment by Suri (not verified) Fri, 03/04/2011 - 01:15

Deadpan Ananth is awesome.

Hahaha

Comment by Dani Church (not verified) Fri, 03/04/2011 - 01:16

Ananth, I can totally see you doing this.

Also, I found your comic, go me. :)

WHOAAA! Hey Dani! Fancy

Comment by Ananth Fri, 03/04/2011 - 13:13

WHOAAA! Hey Dani! Fancy meeting you here. :) I hope things are good!

Things are very good! I'll

Comment by Dani Church (not verified) Sat, 03/05/2011 - 02:15

Things are very good! I'll have to run into you at some convention or other so we can catch up. =D

Totally!

Comment by Ananth Sun, 03/06/2011 - 19:29

Totally!

I'm pretty sure Ananth is

Comment by Samm Neiland (not verified) Fri, 03/04/2011 - 01:39

I'm pretty sure Ananth is his sexiest when he's dead pan.
Or at least Yuko draws him that way.

"Dear John"? YES PLEASE.

Comment by Sven (not verified) Fri, 03/04/2011 - 01:41

Dear John,

What's your earliest memory of Yuko and Ananth?

Sincerely,
Sven

Dear John,

Comment by lelanowhin (not verified) Fri, 03/04/2011 - 01:50

I would absolutely love for there to be a Dear John advice column available for all!! That is a stellar idea.

Dear John The wild stray

Comment by Kendodude (not verified) Fri, 03/04/2011 - 04:11

Dear John

The wild stray dogs bark early in the morning as the chickens bask in the rising morning glow. You are in Subic Bay. You wake up in a well kept room by the beach that still seems to go in and out of a blur as your ringing headache kicks your head into a jarring frenzy. While you try to get your senses in order you notice someone under the sheets next to you. You decide to take a peek. A Philippine Eagle awakes and stares at you with VICIOUS INTENT.
WHAT DO YOU DO?!

Dear John: I am very whiny... ^_^

Comment by BobIsAPerson (not verified) Fri, 03/04/2011 - 04:22

Let me get this straight, you are proposing that John respond to whiny people asking for advice from a stranger because they either have no one else to ask or have run out of tolerant friends? This couldn't POSSIBLY go wrong! Or rather, it will certainly go wrong but in the most entertaining way possible. And then there's the delightful play on the social concept of the Dear John letter. I endorse this idea fully, regardless of whether it makes more sense than Ask a Lobster or not.

My reaction to the comic

Comment by William Righetti (not verified) Fri, 03/04/2011 - 09:20

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaaaaaahahahahaaaaaa! Oooh that desk guy had it coming!

Also-
A Dear John advice column sounds, at the very least, endlessly entertaining. Go for it!

the bowling ball candles

Comment by kane.zach (not verified) Fri, 03/04/2011 - 09:58

the bowling ball candles took me a minute... Hah! that's good! Ask John if there was really ever any bombs shaped like that?