Scrivener

Scrivener

Thu, 03/03/2011 - 17:31 by Ananth in response to tick tick tick tick

That might be the longest I've ever been able to stay deadpan, my face hurt afterwards. Worth it!

Here's an old script I worked on that Yuko is illustrating now:

(Posted previously over at Tumblr.) The final book will be roughly 200 pages. It'll be a while before we can show you the fruits of our labors, but we'll give you little peeks as we go. I'm currently working on another script and I'm about 50 pages in.

The software that I use is Scrivener - there's a Windows version here. It's not for everyone, but for me it was revelation - I used to have trouble organized. Scrivener provides structure to the often haphazard task of writing. I recommend going through the tutorials so you can have a full grasp of the features, if you are interested.

In the meantime, I've been giving some thought to putting together an "Ask John" advice column for JW Vol. 2. You guys could submit your (non JW related) questions and John would answer them and I'd lay it out for the second book. Treat it as a regular old newspaper or magazine advice column. Let John help you with your relationship, etc. Any interest there? I have a good feeling about it.

That's all for us! See you next week!

Comments

Scrivner

Comment by kiyote (not verified) Fri, 03/04/2011 - 11:26

Scrivner is awesome. I fell in love with it a few years ago when I did NaNoWriMo and they were giving out free month trials for it (and 1/2 off discount for those who finished ^_^). Word gets really clunky for really long documents like books or scripts, but Scrivner's organizational methods seem to avoid those problems.

Scrivener

Comment by Bakamoichigei (not verified) Fri, 03/04/2011 - 11:38

ooo, that looks like a nifty app, Ananth. :D When I first saw the screenshot, I thought you were running the Mac version of CeltX, which is the open source writing/project management software I use for my works.

Looks like Scrivener might even be more robust, I'll have to give it a look! (Not that I use even a tenth of the features CeltX has anyway...)

Wow, that clerk is a dick.

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 03/04/2011 - 11:45

Wow, that clerk is a dick. Good on you, Ananth. You are a scholar and a gentleman.

As for Ask John, I cannot voice my approval hard enough, provided he's consistently as blunt as he is in the comic.

Dear John,

Comment by Kilimbo (not verified) Fri, 03/04/2011 - 15:21

My brothers birthday is coming up in a few months, and I don't really like him, so I was thinking of giving him a little shoebox full of fritos. Is this a good idea?

Could be worse...

Comment by Bakamoichigei (not verified) Sat, 03/05/2011 - 01:51

For xmas, I gave my little sister a box stuffed full of her mail that she kept leaving at my apartment. Like six months worth of magazines she doesn't care about (Yet pays for anyway, because she's an idiot) and bank statements. I even wrapped it and put a bow on it. :3c

Heh.

Comment by Kilimbo (not verified) Mon, 03/07/2011 - 18:42

Nice, but anyone who saw John's Flickr and read my comment would get the joke.

Scrivener

Comment by Angela (not verified) Fri, 03/04/2011 - 15:32

I LOVE Scrivener. It makes organizing easy, and if I want to pull out something I don't want to delete, I can still keep it right in the same file.

And yes, Ask John would be great. =D

DEAR JOHN

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 03/04/2011 - 15:46

I'm a student of Orinthology and I'm currently on a road trip, researching migratory patterns, and I am stuck on this puzzle I thought you might be able to answer.

What is the airspeed velocity of a laden swallow?

Thanks, hope this gets in Volume 2 so I can see it answered in your dark cruel way. Keep up the good work!

Maybe it really is just me

Comment by Zarathustra (not verified) Fri, 03/04/2011 - 20:02

I can't be the only one who thinks Ananth's fur-trimmed hood in the second-to-last panel adds a special touch of evil to his overall look. It is my favorite look.

hey love the strip, when i

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 03/05/2011 - 13:13

hey love the strip, when i first read it went through and read them all. great art jokes that keep you chuckling. one question though, how do you manage the half tone print look?

Dear John, How would you

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sun, 03/06/2011 - 17:37

Dear John,

How would you survive the zombie apocalypse?

-In Need Of Preparation Suggestions

Thanks Ananth!

Comment by PadreChavez (not verified) Mon, 03/07/2011 - 12:27

I'm fairly new to the realm of formal creative-writing, but I have a large project that I've been toying with for years now. I checked out Scrivener and been impressed with all the available functionality. Thanks!

Dear John How can I get rid

Comment by hohhoi (not verified) Mon, 03/07/2011 - 12:34

Dear John

How can I get rid of my addiction for Johnny Wander?

Oh man...

Comment by Alison Wilgus (not verified) Mon, 03/07/2011 - 13:21

...Scrivener. Computer program of my heart! *___*

Dear John

Comment by Nathaniel Wheeler (not verified) Mon, 03/07/2011 - 15:11

If you do a Dear John thing in Vol. 2 I WILL buy it. I WILL TOTALLY BUY IT. So do it.

Dear John,

There is this one girl I'm kind of in to. However, my meek and shy nature keep me from asking her out. How should I approach her?

-Nathaniel Wheeler

haha

Comment by Melissa (not verified) Tue, 03/08/2011 - 10:15

I like how the guy behind the counter makes a Gonta face near the end there....

Dear John....

Comment by Lon3wolf8986 (not verified) Thu, 03/10/2011 - 21:41

Dear John,

I accidently created a chimera hybrid of a ferret, Rattlesnake, and a platypus (yes, a platypus, just don't ask how I got it) Now, it wasn't hard creating it, I could go on with the process of how I create it, but that would take too long.
Anywho, the creature, sadly, has escaped and no government authority believes me that such a creature exists. Thus it is upon myself to capture said creature. So I was wondering... do you have any advice in how to go about and capturing a creature that may or may not end up killing someone?

Sincerely,
Regretful Scientist Trying to Make Sure it Doesn't Kill Again

DEAR JOHN

Comment by Alice (not verified) Fri, 03/11/2011 - 20:19

I NEED HELP, OBVIOUSLY
There's these two guys, y'see?
One's drop-dead-sexy and knowledgeable in law, the other's adorable as hell and knowledgeable in medicine.
Which one should I go out with?
THANKS MUCH!

Omg, that's too good. It's

Comment by Cosmic (not verified) Sun, 03/13/2011 - 02:48

Omg, that's too good. It's so passively casual and clever. "Just my clock collection" "also my collection of bowling ball candles" hahahhaha, Awesome!

Wow, just because clocks

Comment by Led (not verified) Sun, 09/04/2011 - 16:24

Wow, just because clocks were mentioned I realized that Ananath really looks a lot like Sylar did at the start of Heroes when he used to wear that cap o_O