Giclée prints!

Giclée prints!

Thu, 03/17/2011 - 16:29 by Ananth in response to octopuses, not octopi

You know, when he put it that way I had to give it some thought.

I'm really excited about this: we can now offer you gorgeous giclée prints! They are printed on a heavy, textured fine art stock (Canson Montval Aquarelle) and utilizing the correct color profiles we are able to get a richness of color that's really incredible. Take a look:

It's a print, but it looks like she drew it right onto the paper! We're offering this print at 5x7" and 9x12". If there's an older pinup you'd like to see made into a print, feel free to suggest it! Anything that gets a lot of requests will absolutely be taken into consideration.

Also: the texture detail is visible because of John's product photos - he has added some prints to his own Etsy store, and proceeds are going towards Japan earthquake/tsunami relief so definitely check it out!

Comments

Octopuses or Octopi?

Comment by Al Paradise (not verified) Thu, 03/17/2011 - 16:52

JOHNNY WANDER RULES

It's octopodes, I believe.

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 03/17/2011 - 17:16

It's octopodes, I believe. The plural of platypus is also platypodes, methinks. I could be wrong, though. Some of the other terms are often considered to be correct as well.

It's crazy.

John's right!

Comment by Emily (not verified) Thu, 03/17/2011 - 17:25

It's octopuses. I can find the video from Merriam-Webster explaining this in a minute, but the short version is: it's an English word, not Greek or Latin, so it's octopuses.

That video says that either

Comment by Helen (not verified) Fri, 03/18/2011 - 14:35

That video says that either is acceptable, but that octopodes is correct.

Webster is also responsible

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 03/22/2011 - 16:59

Webster is also responsible for things like "color".

Regardless, the common usage is octopuses... However, the "most correct" is probably octopodes.

Here we go

Comment by Emily (not verified) Thu, 03/17/2011 - 17:26

Octopodes

Comment by Al Paradise (not verified) Sat, 03/19/2011 - 10:10

"Octopodes" sounds so cool!

Bleargh

Comment by Al Paradise (not verified) Sat, 03/19/2011 - 10:13

I read "Octopodes" as "Octo" then "Podes." Like "Pogues."

Oct-op-ed-ees is ugh.

Greek here. It's octopodes

Comment by Jesus DeSaad (not verified) Fri, 04/06/2012 - 09:30

Greek here.

It's octopodes from the Greek words octo (eight) and podes (feet/legs) but it's just as right if you call it octopods, octopodes, octopi, or octopuses. Personally I call them either octopi or octopussies, depending on the occasion.

And although they are damn ugly, I can't help but feel a certain fondness and sorrow for them. The only thing holding their intellect back is their ridiculously short lifespan.

Aww

Comment by emily (not verified) Thu, 03/17/2011 - 17:25

But they're cute and snuggly and adorable!

Moreso than that,

Comment by ColdFusion (not verified) Thu, 03/17/2011 - 17:53

Octopodes are way too SHORT LIVED to be that smart. Maybe that's the only reason they haven't taken over the ocean...
Oh and they're way too completely unable to manipulate the world around them to be so smart.. XD stupid lack of proprioception.

Well then again...

Comment by PachiWachi (not verified) Fri, 03/18/2011 - 20:14

So are humans, don't you think?

I still prefer octopodes

Comment by John (not that one though) (not verified) Thu, 03/17/2011 - 18:53

I watched that video a long time ago and what I got out of it was that octopuses and octopodes are both far more correct than octopi. Also I felt that it made octopodes seem like the better choice but in the end its English so you could never even hope for a logical and definite solution

Paul the genius?

Comment by Worst (not verified) Thu, 03/17/2011 - 19:32

So is talking about the late Paul? Cause if being able to tell the future of soccer match victories is smart, then what is genius level? Is that being able to tell the future and using your knowledge to deal huge morale blows to the teams of your choice?

Just reminds me of this conversation

Comment by ??? (not verified) Thu, 03/17/2011 - 19:43

About dogs and pigs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA_Tl1kvlQU

But then again, Conrad probably hates Pulp Fiction too.

The same thing could really

Comment by Kevina (not verified) Thu, 03/17/2011 - 20:01

The same thing could really be said of humans.

art prints

Comment by tinybat (not verified) Thu, 03/17/2011 - 21:24

loving this new art print! will you be selling this particular giclée print at TCAF by any chance? i'd love to pick one up there. :)

That print...

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 03/17/2011 - 21:44

...looked like a mousepad for a second. My heart skipped a beat- I was juiced!

Octopi are ok...when I'm

Comment by Memosne (not verified) Thu, 03/17/2011 - 22:56

Octopi are ok...when I'm EATING THEM. >=D Hahaha, but they are pretty gross elsewhere.

And...I'm not sure if this could be a print, but do you remember the sleepy chimera and her book reading friend? >__< I tried to buy them, but they were sold out immediately. They were lovely.

Prints

Comment by Shnargen (not verified) Thu, 03/17/2011 - 23:37

Will there be a "what are you doing, why are you doing it" print ever? I want them both together!

While reading this comic,

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 03/18/2011 - 00:24

While reading this comic, all I can think of is Karl Pilkington.

Um, I'm surprised no one has

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 03/18/2011 - 00:53

Um, I'm surprised no one has asked...who is that standing behind the couch?

OMGYES

Comment by Waffles (not verified) Fri, 03/18/2011 - 01:06

This is exactly what I was hoping for.

If you can offer this one http://www.johnnywander.com/comics/173 as the same thing, maybe even larger, instant buy for me. They belong together.

I still prefer Octopi...

Comment by Graypheonix85 (not verified) Fri, 03/18/2011 - 03:59

Still, even if not grammatically correct, I prefer Octopi for the plural.

On the other hand, Awkward Dude is no longer awesome, he is a hater of the awesome that are Octo's! He dares to hate one of nature's best creations?!?!?! HOW DARE HE!

I mean, an animal that lives less than 6 months that's smarter than a dog? If geneticists can figure out how to grow and enhance the intelligence of an octopus to human levels (they just need to live 20+ years to develop that far) and we can have a species that can build underwater cities while making subtle mockeries of our everyday lives!

Check out this page to see what I mean:

Hmmm...

Comment by Doctor Scraps (not verified) Fri, 03/18/2011 - 09:52

I always just came to assume the more ugly an animal was, the more intelligent it was, since it's ugliness obviously had some sort of survival aspect to it. Like looking like a rock around predators.

What creeps me out the most

Comment by Kinoko (not verified) Fri, 03/18/2011 - 17:16

What creeps me out the most about octopuses is their ability to open locks and latches. All sorts of locks and latches.

I don't want to think about one of those things roaming around a zoo or aquarium at night. :S

Tarot Cards?

Comment by Mistress Pyro (not verified) Fri, 03/18/2011 - 17:25

Have you ever thought about making a tarot deck? I think with your unique art style they would be absolutely amazing. Just a random thought. Anyways, these look fabulous! The quality is outstanding <3

This

Comment by Cecona (not verified) Fri, 03/18/2011 - 23:24

I second this idea.

Deliciousness squared

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 03/18/2011 - 17:47

How can anyone hate octopus? It's delicious!

I think the same can be

Comment by TheMaverickk (not verified) Fri, 03/18/2011 - 19:22

I think the same can be applied to spiders.

Nothing that hideous looking and ugly should be that smart. I mean they don't hunt their food, they are smart and make a nice little trap.... and then sit and wait their lazy asses till something flies into it.

The smarter ones even set up camp next to lights cause they know just how stupid most insects are.

I think they fall into the same category as octopuses. Not to mention both creatures have 8 appendages and bulbous bodies.

Well...

Comment by Quinn (not verified) Sat, 03/19/2011 - 00:41

I see how it is.

*adjusts glasses*

Looks like we are mortal enemies now, John.

Japan proceeds?

Comment by Emily (not verified) Sat, 03/19/2011 - 00:49

I just purchased a print and was wondering offhand who will be receiving the donation for earthquake/tsunami relief?

Also, super stoked about finally purchasing the first volume of JW.

lol I had almost this exact

Comment by Spicy (not verified) Sat, 03/19/2011 - 07:23

lol I had almost this exact same conversation with my Dad. I told him I wanted a tattoo that's an octopus body and a cat's head (long before I started reading Johnny Wander so that was just a coincidence but I bought the charms anyway). He flipped out and was like "octopus are gross! that's stupid!" it made me so upset. I love them to pieces.

OCTOPUS

Comment by Tipsy (not verified) Sat, 03/19/2011 - 12:55

I have thought FOREVER that octopus are terrible, terrible creatures. If they had longer life-spans, I'm entirely sure that they would take over the planet. It makes me so happy to know that I'm not the only one suspicious of them!

Every story I've heard has only proven to me that they're hideously intelligent. One story involved crabs disappearing in a lab - they'd vanish without a trace. After several weeks of them replacing crabs and having them go missing, they set up a security camera. The camera showed that after everyone had locked up and gone home, the octopus on the other side of the room would unlock it's cage, crawl across the lab bench, unlock the crab tank, and go to town on them. When it was done eating them, it would HIDE THE SHELLS, crawl back out, lock the tank behind it, crawl back into it's own tank, and lock it as well.

...horrible. @_@

And this is why you give them puzzles...

Comment by Graypheonix85 (not verified) Mon, 03/21/2011 - 13:29

Seriously, Octopi only get bored enough to do this when they're BORED. Provide them with little puzzles, interesting toys, and it keeps them busy. Put their food in puzzles? They're amused. Bother them during the daytime, when they're mostly NOCTURNAL?!?!?! Okay, you're waking it up during its daytime hours for being poked and prodded. Would you like being woken up at 2am from a sound sleep to be picked up, tossed in water, having to hold you breath, and then having to be awkwardly handled and poked like you're someone's next meal?

Seriously, give em some toys, and live prey they can hunt, and use proper latches on their tanks, and no problems. They're horridly, AWESOMELY intelligent, and to me, like spiders, rather cute. Just treat em with respect and a little love and it'll go a long way. Just like you should with something furry like a cat or dog. Why do you think badly treated animals are so vicious?

Oh my gosh, this 4-koma

Comment by darryl (not verified) Sat, 03/19/2011 - 12:56

Oh my gosh, this 4-koma thing has to continue.

I'm a fan of these scrollers. Poor Octopus.

octopodes...

Comment by spira (not verified) Sun, 03/20/2011 - 06:14

tbh humans are pretty damn gross and yet we are at least generally intelligent.

I spent a good 2 mins of

Comment by Shiny (not verified) Sun, 03/20/2011 - 07:13

I spent a good 2 mins of non-stop laughter because of this comic. I love John and his Johnisms.

I feel sorry for that octopus and it's heart broken expression. It's so sad and so cute. I wouldn't mind to have a fat plushie of that octopus.

You could terrorise John with it. XD

No way! Octopuses are so

Comment by Ellemar (not verified) Sun, 03/20/2011 - 17:08

No way! Octopuses are so cute! Cuttlefish even more so.
But not squids. Never squids.

That's because squid is

Comment by Graypheonix85 (not verified) Mon, 03/21/2011 - 13:30

That's because squid is delicious...

Octopi, not so much, it's like eating pork, or dog for that matter, even monkey. Its a guilty pleasure to eat something so smart.

I actually like octopus

Comment by Jety Lefr (not verified) Wed, 03/23/2011 - 18:49

I actually like octopus better than squid. I have some in my cupboard right now!

Prints!

Comment by DMK (not verified) Sun, 03/20/2011 - 20:25

I need this and "What are you doing, why are you doing it" both hanging up in my office. STAT!

Oh man, guys. Ever since I got a private work area (~ a month ago) I have been wondering if I could get a print of this or the other requested image. This makes my day, and if you also offer the other that would be the best. <3

Print Suggestion

Comment by Agtheo (not verified) Mon, 03/21/2011 - 06:18

I would like to add another voice to the requests for the 'What are you doing' pinup to be made available as a print.

This comic

Comment by Ben (not verified) Mon, 03/21/2011 - 10:04

As much as I love the strips about inside jokes and your lives... (and I do, it's hilarious sometimes) I wonder if you'll ever return to the fantasy stories like death and the little blind girl. Maybe if you had a separate comic or site... one for your comic blogs and one for comics. Just a thought. <3

We've actually been working

Comment by Ananth Tue, 03/22/2011 - 00:15

We've actually been working on one for weeks (10 pages) - we'd love to be able to do it all the time, but it's a matter of how much we can get done in a day. :/ We'll be posting a new short as soon as we're able. Nice to know people are interested in seeing more of that!

Adam Warrock tee!

Comment by NTG (not verified) Tue, 03/22/2011 - 03:23

I got my t-shirt today!! I'm wearing it right now. I definitely needed something to put a smile on my face because everything is just a mess here... <333

It's Octopi... anything that

Comment by Jety Lefr (not verified) Wed, 03/23/2011 - 18:48

It's Octopi...
anything that end in "us", is "i" when plural. Fungus=fungi, cactus=cacti, octopus=octopi.

Hehe

Comment by Nessa (not verified) Fri, 03/25/2011 - 20:57

I want to meet John. XDD

When I was a little girl, I

Comment by Ashton (not verified) Sat, 04/02/2011 - 01:44

When I was a little girl, I went to the Dolphin Island Sea Lab with my grandmother. In one of the tanks they have an octopus. The octopus and I stared at each other for a while, and then the octopus turned bright magenta, which was the color of my shirt.

Anyway, I will always love octopuses and other cephalopods. <3

Actually, the plural of

Comment by Random Fact Man! (David A.) (not verified) Tue, 05/03/2011 - 21:21

Actually, the plural of octopus should be octopode, because it developed from Greek, not Latin.

Hope this helped!