III.

III.

Tue, 05/03/2011 - 15:49 by Ananth in response to III.

We just hit 250 comics, so it was past time for another poem

We'll be at TCAF in Toronto this weekend! Come say hello! We'll have books and CMYcat shirts and totes for you to peruse! TCAF is great, so bring the love!

Some time ago Samm Neiland saw this comic and wrote a song called Multicultural Rangers for us! He is in the midst of some troubling times, and so I wanted to drop a link here and let you know he has two albums up on Bandcamp right now - one is his debut album for $7.50 and the other is a chiptunes album for $2! You can also commission him for a song! Take a look!

Keychains, earrings and patches will go up Thursday! We tried to have them all ready for today, but alas.

That's all for now - busy week! See you Thursday! We'll have more detailed information about where we're located for TCAF then.

Comments

I love your poems!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 05/03/2011 - 16:46

I love your poems!

Congratulations on 250

Comment by Michae Jonathan (not verified) Tue, 05/03/2011 - 16:56

Congratulations on 250 comics! That's huge. Also, I always dig these poems, it's nice to see a new one.

Kudos, an inquiry, and a possible apology.

Comment by Anthony Grimm (not verified) Tue, 05/03/2011 - 16:57

I would first like to say how much I enjoy your comic. I have read Johnny Wander far longer than I have read any other webcomic. The art is amazing, the writing is sublime, and I especially enjoy your bouts of poetry.
On another note, I have only recently stepped into the writing game and I have created a deviantart to guilt myself into writing more often. After I decided on the pseudonym of Anthony Grimm, I could not get the image of your Death character out of my head. I needed an avatar for my profile, so I used a part of your comic 'Death's Notebook 2'. I do not want to insult you or use your character without your permission, so I am inquiring here. May I please use a portion of one of your comics as my avatar? Please, tell me if you are not okay with me using it and I will remove it immediately.

I sincerely apologize if I have over-stepped my bounds.

Warm regards,
Anthony

Psyched to see you guys at TCAF this weekend.

Comment by Andy M. (not verified) Tue, 05/03/2011 - 17:05

Caught your name (along with a number of others) in last week's edition of Eye Weekly here in Toronto. Totally pumped to see you guys north of the border in TO this weekend! You bring the merchandise, I'll bring the cash. ;)

Can't wait to see you guys

Comment by Arif K. (not verified) Tue, 05/03/2011 - 17:14

Can't wait to see you guys at TCAF. Definitely looking forward to meeting you guys, and to buying some of your merchandise. :D

I love these poems!

Comment by Briget (not verified) Tue, 05/03/2011 - 17:28

I love these poems! Congratulations on this comic's success. It's one of my favorites through the week. : )

Yo dawgs!

Comment by Al Paradise (not verified) Tue, 05/03/2011 - 17:44

Who writes the poems? Shit is mad ill. Also, grats on #250!

All of my favorite comics

Comment by Boxesofboxes (not verified) Tue, 05/03/2011 - 17:57

All of my favorite comics are going to be at TCAF!! I've never been happier to be Torontonian!

Mad poemage

Comment by Nanophreak (not verified) Tue, 05/03/2011 - 18:23

These poems inspired me. To write poems. A villanelle, specifically. One that has gotten me much acclaim. And I've felt sort of weird about it, seeing as inspiration feels like stealing to me. So, I guess this poem is sort of yours.
(who makes these?)
---
What kinds of marvels shall we see,
if we go a'wanderin', leave this life of trial?
A'wanderin', jus' you and me?

Easy to go, jus' turn door's key,
And leave, off to places where dreams grow more fertile.
What kinds of marvels shall we see?

We'll meet such wonders that have yet t'be,
Singing stones and talking beasts, while
A'wanderin', jus' you and me.

To dig 'mongst a fallen star's debris,
In the soil of a floating purple isle,
What kinds of marvels shall we see?

There we'd sup in the shade of some mighty tree,
To fuel our steps for the next won'drous, wan'drous mile.
A'wanderin', jus' you and me.

In th'wild unknown, we'd be so won'drously free.
And on each new morn, I'd ask with a smile,
What kinds of marvels shall we see,
A'wanderin, jus' you and me?

Thanks!

Comment by Pandiculator (not verified) Tue, 05/03/2011 - 18:56

Really, thanks for sharing JW with all of us. I feel very glad reading these stories that you share - they remind me that people like us are not alone.

Attending Anime North 2011?

Comment by Nico (not verified) Tue, 05/03/2011 - 19:28

I was wondering if you perhaps reserved a table at Anime North in Toronto, Ontario on the weekend of May 28th.

Congrats!

Comment by Nina (not verified) Tue, 05/03/2011 - 19:50

Reminds me of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heKK95DAKms&feature=player_embedded

Congrats on #250 :)

YAYAY TCAF

Comment by Seed (not verified) Tue, 05/03/2011 - 20:09

Excellent, I was hoping you guys were going to TCAF :3

Last year I had work on Saturday and missed out on all of your t-shirts because they were sold out by the end of the day D:
This year that will not happen again! (*Aims to be there 10am Saturday*)

Would you like vegan blueberry-vanilla cupcakes? 8D

Wow, three years. I think I

Comment by Awesome Music Vids (not verified) Tue, 05/03/2011 - 20:29

Wow, three years. I think I have been reading since the start. The poems are some of the best things about the comic. Keep going you guys.

Wonderful Poem

Comment by Valron (not verified) Tue, 05/03/2011 - 20:35

I love the poem, they are always great! Also, does anyone know a tune that the poem can be "sung" to? I don't know poetry very well, and I can't figure out a good beat on my own.

Happy penta-golden comic!

Comment by David A. (not verified) Tue, 05/03/2011 - 21:12

Well done on the poem, the comic strips, and the third year of non-sequential, and/or unrelated shenanigans! Always look forward to days where I see the updates. Can't tell you how much I wish I could go to those cons, but those tickets are pretty damn expensive.

Conga-conga-conga-rats, guys'n'gals of JW.

poetic structure

Comment by Trajan (not verified) Tue, 05/03/2011 - 21:55

the poems are hands down my favorite part of this comic. I remember getting so stoked when the second up came out and I realized it would become an annual thing.

I wonder about the meter/rhyme scheme. I went back and checked, and they all follow xAxBCCCA and are loosely iambic, but I don't know if this is a form I've ever read before.

Ananth?

250?!

Comment by Robert V Aldrich (not verified) Tue, 05/03/2011 - 23:13

Congrats, guys!

Fancy!

Comment by Diem-kitty (not verified) Wed, 05/04/2011 - 02:53

Yaay, congrats on 250 comics! That's so awesome.

I do not know if it was intentional, but the snake border sort of had an optical illusion effect for me. While reading the (awesome) poem, the scales seemed to be moving, but not when I looked directly at it. It's pretty cool. :D

I got that effect as well,

Comment by Inara (not verified) Wed, 05/04/2011 - 13:36

I got that effect as well, and was wondering if it was on purpose or just a happy accident.

Naturally.

Comment by Al Paradise (not verified) Wed, 05/04/2011 - 15:42

This is my most favorite comment because it sounds like it's made by a character from Firefly.

Wow, has it really been that

Comment by stdavey (not verified) Wed, 05/04/2011 - 02:59

Wow, has it really been that long? I've been reading since #1, but I've hardly noticed the time that's past.

Here's to the next 250.

So the second one was a shade tree...

Comment by Resda (not verified) Wed, 05/04/2011 - 03:22

I'm trying to figure out what the snake is supposed to be, if it's supposed to be anything at all.

I'm guessing a road? Or a train track?

Comment by Anonymouse (not verified) Wed, 05/04/2011 - 11:12

Comment by Anonymouse (not verified) Wed, 05/04/2011 - 11:12

I suppose...

Comment by lentilstew (not verified) Wed, 05/04/2011 - 04:48

It would be a road. Seems like the logical fit, there. Anyway, it's a lovely poem and I dig it.

Currently listening to Mr. Neiland's music and wondering if he'd do the intro tune for a podcast. His fee's more than reasonable.

Is it that time again, already?

Comment by Drezz (not verified) Wed, 05/04/2011 - 07:44

It seems like just the other day I was opening up my feed to read poem II.

Keep up the good work!

Yay 250 comics | TCAF on my Birthday :D

Comment by Stephanie (not verified) Wed, 05/04/2011 - 08:02

I'm totally psyched for this weekend. It's going to be the BEST BIRTHDAY PRESENT EVER!

I'm hoping I can make it there on time to grab a CMYCat t-shirt!

Can't believe it's almost been 3 years since you first started. Been with you guys since the very beginning.

CONGRATS on the 250

TCAFFF

Comment by Droqen (not verified) Wed, 05/04/2011 - 11:03

I swear this time I will not accidentally avoid Johnny Wander T_T how could I

IT'S A TRAIN

Comment by ColdFusion (not verified) Wed, 05/04/2011 - 12:54

wait, was this not a riddle?

which book does these poems

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 05/04/2011 - 14:30

which book does these poems come from? I want it!!

Your poems scare me.

Comment by Jedifreak (not verified) Thu, 05/05/2011 - 00:12

Whenever I see the new poem, I keep thinking "Oh god they're ending the comic".

Pretty Please?

Comment by Andi (not verified) Thu, 05/05/2011 - 07:58

Personally I think we all deserve some more of the Spacklehaus Memoirs. Those were my favoritest :)

Cost of Commission?

Comment by Parmeisan (not verified) Thu, 05/05/2011 - 11:18

Am I looking in the right place? I don't see anything about commissions on his web site. lentilstew seems to have found the fee listed somewhere though.

Link please?

Thanks!!

Howdy!

Comment by Samm Neiland (not verified) Thu, 05/05/2011 - 15:56

Sorry, I actually DON'T have like... a list of priced commissions anywhere cause I've only just started taking paid commissions recently, so I'm still working out the whole formula. ^^;

Basically I have a base price of $5 for a single song of basic elements (simple instrumentation, only about 2 minutes long, etc) and for anything more complex, I talk with the commissioner about details.

That said, feel free to pop me an email at sammneiland@gmail.com so we can talk about what exactly you want and what I can offer you!

(Also, sorry Yuko/Ananth. Keeping this message brief so I don't turn you comment board into Craigslist~)

Does this mean you are going

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 05/24/2011 - 07:26

Does this mean you are going to ask Yuko to marry you?